Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:45   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Do consider the fact that the 2013 Linea has an increased GC. So to me Linea Duster and Ertiga are the fight it out guys.

Linea has best combo of driven vs. driver's car. If that was not the case, Sunny would have the choice.

Else for Utility and value for money Ertiga is the best. If you need the GC, good ride and are OK for a higher price, Duster is a good choice. Take mid version of 110, so that you good space for 3 in the back.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd July 2013 at 18:50.
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:27   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Linea has best combo of driven vs. driver's car. If that was not the case, Sunny would have the choice.
Oops , forgot to check Linea ...
Thanks for reminding. Etios got all the attention.

I felt the 2nd row of Ertiga okay for seating 3 easily wrt to my family members. I am the tallest at 5.8 ''
what's the experience of other Ertiga owners ?

So SX4, Etios, Duster, Linea to be checked before finalizing.
Old 24th July 2013, 15:39   #138
BHPian

Took a TD of Duster today. . One word ; dissappointed.
To get basic safety features in 85 ps diesel 13L OTR ??

Everything seems out of place, , rear AC vent looks awkward. Driver's seat back support is poor, absolutely no attention to detail, Needs lot of refinement,
as far as interior features concerned Ford ES is miles ahead.

Not very inspiring or peppy to drive either.
Just compare 11.5L Verna Sx vs 13L Duster RxZ features, you'll feel how incomprehensible SUV like Duster is.

So Duster is out.

Took TD of Manza again; excellent features set for the price but city driving is a big pain. Makes a lot of sense if chauffeur driven all the time, don't need to think twice. Very comfortable at back.

SX4 and Linea remaining
drkritik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 16:12   #139
Senior - BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Duster is way too overpriced for the money you pay. The interiors of the Swift which costs half as much makes you feel like a Merc owner after a ride in the Duster. Renault is just milking people who want an SUV ish looking vehicle. It sells for about half the price of what you pay here in eastern Europe.
Old 24th July 2013, 21:09   #140
BHPian

Owning one, here are my 2 cents on the Ertiga that may help with your decision:

1. It is a comfortable cruiser whether to drive or to be driven.
2. It can seat 3 adults in the middle if the third is a child/thin adult.
3. It gives excellent mileage and hence will be a sensible choice for your running.
4. You certainly don't feel cheated/looted looking at the interiors everyday.
5. It has a decent GC/boot space/suspension, but certainly not the best.
6. It does not have a bluetooth built-in its head unit.
7. Maintenance is not cheap compared to a Toyota.
8. It is decent to look at compared to some weirdo designs.

I had a similar requirement like yours, except that I do not use drivers. Sedans simply do not offer the comfort of UVs on long hauls. In fact, I moved from a sedan(Toyota Corolla) to Ertiga.

Unfortunately, given the high cost of automobiles in our country, with a budget of 11L OTR, we can only settle with a middle of the spectrum vehicle, not the best. Of the crop, Ertiga fits the bill by ticking most needs.
Old 24th July 2013, 22:58   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Duster is way too overpriced for the money you pay. The interiors of the Swift which costs half as much makes you feel like a Merc owner after a ride in the Duster. Renault is just milking people who want an SUV ish looking vehicle. It sells for about half the price of what you pay here in eastern Europe.
A friend accompanied me on TD, experienced with all kinds of SUVs in UK, He called me after TD and told that he'll shoot me if I buy it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Owning one, here are my 2 cents on the Ertiga that may help with your decision:

1. It is a comfortable cruiser whether to drive or to be driven.
2. It can seat 3 adults in the middle if the third is a child/thin adult.
3. It gives excellent mileage and hence will be a sensible choice for your running.
4. You certainly don't feel cheated/looted looking at the interiors everyday.
5. It has a decent GC/boot space/suspension, but certainly not the best.
6. It does not have a bluetooth built-in its head unit.
7. Maintenance is not cheap compared to a Toyota.
8. It is decent to look at compared to some weirdo designs.

I had a similar requirement like yours, except that I do not use drivers. Sedans simply do not offer the comfort of UVs on long hauls. In fact, I moved from a sedan(Toyota Corolla) to Ertiga.

Unfortunately, given the high cost of automobiles in our country, with a budget of 11L OTR, we can only settle with a middle of the spectrum vehicle, not the best. Of the crop, Ertiga fits the bill by ticking most needs.
As per the ownership reports on this forum, I am okay with maintenance costs.
How cheap is Etios to Maintain ?
I didn't feel the Rear seat (Etios) very comfortable , Foam is very soft any other views ?

Manza and Sunny are exceptional in rear seat comfort, far better than Verna in this respect.

Linea was not available for TD, I think I will let it pass,
SX4 is a strong contender, 2013 model costs 60k more after discounts, a well built sedan taking TD tomorrow
Old 24th July 2013, 23:00   #142
Senior - BHPian

Thanks drkritik, being a ritz owner myself wanted to know what one felt about the duster that puts a lot of things into perspective. have you considered a corolla? have seen lot of doctors one well maintained white corollas.
Old 25th July 2013, 17:06   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thanks drkritik, being a ritz owner myself wanted to know what one felt about the duster that puts a lot of things into perspective. have you considered a corolla? have seen lot of doctors one well maintained white corollas.
I felt Duster overpriced for the features. Launch of ES and upcoming face lift might change the scenario. New Duster might justify it's pricing. As of now a clear thumbs down. Actually GTO gave a hint in its review, when someone asked will he buy it at 13 L if you have money to spend. He told he'd go for a feature rich Sedan instead.

Corolla is way out of my budget, let me see what else is possible.
Old 29th July 2013, 09:03   #144
BHPian

Took a TD of sx4, it's a good car, will need to take longer TD today

I am getting a Oct 2012 SX4 ZDi at nearly 1L discount.
Should I go for it?
I have seen and did a brief PDI, seems okay. Car seat plastic is still intact, run around 80kms , Dealer is quite reliable

My Doubts
1. SX4 was modified in 2013 version mostly interiors and Audio console GPS added. Front grill and auto folding orvms.
Though these things don't matter much; and aftermarket solutions are available.

2. My other option is brand new Ertiga which is almost the same price without alloys. Technically both engines are same. And 6th occupancy is very occasional

3. I plan to keep the car for at least 4 yrs , ,how much the resale will be affected?

Which will be a best buy as 50% chauffeur driven

I need your help ASAP.
Old 31st July 2013, 22:23   #145
BHPian

Have you looked at Fiat Linea. TD the car, its a very comfortable ride and 5 average size people can sit comfortably.

Duster is overpriced by 30-40k, people spend that much on accessories
It feel very open and spacious because of the large windows all around.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:57   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
I am getting a Oct 2012 SX4 ZDi at nearly 1L discount SX4 was modified in 2013 version mostly interiors and Audio console GPS added. Front grill and auto folding orvms. aftermarket solutions are available.
While the SX4 is a great car, a 1L discount doesn't seem worth it for getting the older model - you can typically wait for the festival season and can get a discount of about 20-40k. The in-vehicle GPS is a much better deal than an aftermarket GPS, not only because it reduces clutter and wiring but also because it is integrated with the vehicle and can work to some extent without a GPS signal, and with the in-car GPS systems you don't have to wait to get a GPS lock - they can work right from when you power on the vehicle. (Perhaps the after-market GPS solutions have caught up with the times, but the ones I used in the past were an inconvenience).

Quote:
My other option is brand new Ertiga. I plan to keep the car for at least 4 yrs , ,how much the resale will be affected? Which will be a best buy as 50% chauffeur driven
The Ertiga is a better option for a chauffeur driven vehicle. Unless you are planning to go for a trade-in after the 4 years, you can always hope that more seats translates into a better resale when you decide to sell it.
Old 1st August 2013, 12:23   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am getting a Oct 2012 SX4 ZDi at nearly 1L discount.
Should I go for it?
New SX4 Diesel has around 40K discounts in Bangalore and exchange bonus on top of that. So in effect you are getting around 60K as discount only. I guess you can push for more discount / accessory.
Old 1st August 2013, 13:04   #148
BHPian

Thanks for the helpful inputs,
The final offer for sx4 2012 zdi is 10L OTR,
Ertiga Steel wheels ZDi is at 10.1L both with Zero Dep insurance

3yrs down the line the same vehicles' resale would be much different I guess.
Ertiga seems to be a wise choice.

I think if I get 50k difference , that would probably make sx4 2012 a better deal.
Need your valuable inputs.

I know a Sedan will loose in terms of pure utility quotient against Ertiga but both fit my requirements. SX4 will definitely have a upper hand in looks and social image departments.
Old 1st August 2013, 20:59   #149
BHPian

Booked ERTIGA ZDI without Alloys ...
Should be arriving in couple of days, Thanks everyone
Old 30th August 2013, 12:41   #150
Senior - BHPian

What's a good 6 (adults + luggage) seater SUV/MUV (Budget 10-12L) to travel the north - specifically the Leh-Ladakh-Manali route?

The Duster can do it, but it doesn't really have space for 6 adults. Can a regular passenger seat be added to the Duster's boot? The child seat is too small for an adult to travel this route comfortably.

Aria? Ertiga? Do they qualify?

Most Viewed