Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 22:50   #211
BANNED

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Lol if we were to evaluate the seating space of cars from the looks of it then even an empty Polo would seem spacious. It would be better if you try out the Altis in person and then make such statements. It's not just me but probably every other person even on the forum who has been on the back seat of the Altis can vouch for the space and comfort.
You're right. You know what, I think I will seek out a used Corolla and test out that back seat. Will report back after.
Old 5th July 2017, 23:08   #212
Senior - BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Corolla and Accord have decent amounts of space. If you want ample rear seat space in cheaper cars try the Honda Amaze.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:52   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
With due respect, I disagree on this my friend.
I am using a petrol Ertiga for last 4 year. Already driven 65000+ km. Lots of highway trip which include many ghat section. You are from Pune, so you know better, how we surrounded with lots of ghats.

All my trips with at least 4 passenger and sometimes 7 passenger. I never feel under power in ghat section even with AC on. Yes sometimes it required quick down shift to gain the speed.

It’s not that bad how you describe.

Yes, CNG version(Less BHP in comparison to only petrol model) of Ertiga may struggling at ghat section but never the petrol one.

Is your friend have Petrol model or Petrol+CNG model ?
No it is a pure pertol ZXi model.

I have driven over the very same ghat roads, near Pune, in a 800, Wagon-R, Santro AT, Ford Fusion and Grand Vitara. My take - all of them manage the slopes, but there is no getting away from the fact that the Ertiga has a very narrow torque band in such situations.

Going in for the AT model of the Ertiga will help as the torque convertor in the gear box will help a lot.
Old 6th July 2017, 09:02   #214
BHPian

The Ertiga's seating Ergonomics are spot on. Very roomy and a proper 5 seater. The 3rd. row is manageable, but a bit bouncy. City ride is excellent and the size is perfect for crowded roads. Highway ride is also good. ( I am now spoilt by my Grand Vitara)

Actually Maruti should offer the 1.4L Turbo petrol in this vehicle.
Old 15th July 2017, 12:25   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The Ertiga's seating Ergonomics are spot on. Very roomy and a proper 5 seater. The 3rd. row is manageable, but a bit bouncy. City ride is excellent and the size is perfect for crowded roads. Highway ride is also good. ( I am now spoilt by my Grand Vitara)

Actually Maruti should offer the 1.4L Turbo petrol in this vehicle.
Thats an excellent statement till you take a back to back ride in the Ciaz. That is miles ahead.

Personally, I finally ended up buying a Ford Figo Aspire. But more on that some other time.
Old 16th July 2017, 07:47   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thats an excellent statement till you take a back to back ride in the Ciaz. That is miles ahead.

Personally, I finally ended up buying a Ford Figo Aspire. But more on that some other time.
I got a fiesta Phamilyman - lovely long distance tourer, only perish the thought of it seating five people in comfort thanks to a cramped rear seat and a huge hump on the floor. Drives with family will be on the amaze - fiesta is for my regular monthly or so commute to bangalore.

ps - missed you on the tbhp chennai sriharikota drive
Old 16th July 2017, 08:58   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I got a fiesta Phamilyman - lovely long distance tourer, only perish the thought of it seating five people in comfort thanks to a cramped rear seat and a huge hump on the floor. Drives with family will be on the amaze - fiesta is for my regular monthly or so commute to bangalore.

ps - missed you on the tbhp chennai sriharikota drive
Interesting. In our case, we are only 3 so the Aspire is enough for our needs. Plus unlike the Creta, I can park it in one swift movement, without a 3 point reverse twice a day
Old 28th July 2019, 02:12   #218
Senior - BHPian

Its 2019 and we are now getting our second car. The wife and son are chauffeured around and cervical issues mean biking isn't feasible so I need a second car for the house.

My budget is fixed at ~13L on road Gurgaon so i have two options (Yaris J and Ciaz Alpha) - curious to hear folks' take. Basically the intent is that I will take back the Ford Aspire as my daily driver (20km round trip to office in terrible traffic and a public parking I cannot control - hello scratches! plus its an AMAZINGLY FAST car with excellent control even in the twisties).

This family sedan will:
- Be driven mostly Gurgaon locally or maximum to Noida (110km expressway round trip)
- Be chauffeur driven so the antique Ciaz AT does not matter to us. Both are uninspiringly boring cars to drive after my Aspire
- Will occasionally be driven by me to family events or malls but definitely no real highway touring (maybe once in 2-3 years for a trek?)
- At this price what it boils down to is that the Ciaz comes with Electronic Stability Control and a magnificent rear legroom but Yaris has 7 airbags and a gem of a rear AC blower that's really effective.

In city driving like this - would those curtain airbags be of any use? The heart says its not a risk worth evaluating, so I am currently tending towards the Yaris. This car is super unlikely to see twisty Himalayan highways so the ESC in the Ciaz will not be of any use to us.

What do BHPians say? I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for your kind opinions.

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th July 2019 at 02:13.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 08:23   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- At this price what it boils down to is that the Ciaz comes with Electronic Stability Control and a magnificent rear legroom but Yaris has 7 airbags and a gem of a rear AC blower that's really effective.
Stick to the (good but unexciting and frankly overpriced) Yaris or if you’re considering the Ciaz, also try the Amaze if you want good amounts of rear bench space and a peppy engine but at the cost of a tin can build.

7 airbags is not something I will say no to after my old Scorpio got t boned by a drunk auto driver last year. It made a mess of the panels but thankfully people inside survived. If that’s a criterion then the Yaris is what you need.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 08:50   #220
BANNED

Quote:

My budget is fixed at ~13L on road Gurgaon so i have two options (Yaris J and Ciaz Alpha) - curious to hear folks' take.
I'd recommend the Ciaz. Better back seat, and Toyota has a reputation for Airbags not opening, as per the Innova Crysta rolls, none of the airbags open. There's a post about a Yaris getting T-boned as well.

I'm using the official mobile app, so can't link you the thread.

Also consider the MG Hector. For a chauffeured vehicle, it makes good sense.
simeonovitch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 10:04   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have two options (Yaris J and Ciaz Alpha)
Very contrasting options you've shortlisted, mate. But I wouldn't recommend either of them

Honda City is an unbeatable option in this segment for back seat comfort. It's fast, fun, reliable, good-looking, spacious and comfortable. I'm not sure of the car's safety though. I do not expect Honda to cut corners in structural strength but there's no denying that the body feels tinny. My friend picked a V MT in 2018 for less than 12 lakhs on road but his parents (chauffeured) do miss curtain airbags because apart from seatbelts, there's no safety net around them in the back seat.

Whether it is city or highway, airbags save lives. Since your family is going to primarily use the back seat, I would recommend a car with curtain airbags. Look for a Honda City ZX in the used car market. You'll love it.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 13:50   #222
Senior - BHPian

Regarding build quality, I've had my share from Maruti. You know what happened to the europeanish SCross.

My pick would be a City or an Yaris

Last edited by laluks : 28th July 2019 at 13:51.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 14:08   #223
Team-BHP Support

Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

It is a no brainer for me. Gotta be the Yaris. It's got everything going for it over the Ciaz - space, reliability, safety, quality. Except the resale, which I guess is not important since you haven't mentioned it yet.

I know you rejected Creta the first time, but is it not an option again? Especially when you already have a sedan. Creta might do you good when it rains in Gurgaon.

PS: If Creta or anothre SUV is not an option, then I'll move the thread to the sedan section

Last edited by Eddy : 28th July 2019 at 14:11.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 14:45   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Its 2019 and we are now getting our second car. The wife and son are chauffeured around and cervical issues mean biking isn't feasible so I need a second car for the house.

While both of them suit your need, between the 2 , choice would be the Yaris. Just because it is a newer, rarer car.

Not sure if you are open to pre-owned, if so 13L maybe a good budget for a pre owned Corolla Altis or the Elantra. You mainly need it to do the basic things right. May as well do it with a D Segmenter.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 18:33   #225
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all who responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
7 airbags is not something I will say no to after my old Scorpio got t boned by a drunk auto driver last year. It made a mess of the panels but thankfully people inside survived. If that’s a criterion then the Yaris is what you need.
Yaris 1 Ciaz 0 (no tincans!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
I'd recommend the Ciaz. Better back seat, and Toyota has a reputation for Airbags not opening, as per the Innova Crysta rolls, none of the airbags open. There's a post about a Yaris getting T-boned as well.
Yaris 1 Ciaz 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Whether it is city or highway, airbags save lives. Since your family is going to primarily use the back seat, I would recommend a car with curtain airbags. Look for a Honda City ZX in the used car market. You'll love it.
Thanks sirjee - If not for some arbitrarily imposed limits, I would have brought Verna and City into the consideration! No pre-owned for me. My previous Swift VDi went at 1.45L/8.5 years only because of the NGT tamasha (may god help them realize the chaos they created - by forcing people like me to unnecessarily change cars before I needed to!)

btw, Yaris and City aren't too different - Yaris just has less headroom as SS da said: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4563040 (The Ciazzler® | Our Nexa Blue Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz Petrol (Alpha))

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Regarding build quality, I've had my share from Maruti. You know what happened to the europeanish SCross.

My pick would be a City or an Yaris
Yaris 2 Ciaz 1 then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It is a no brainer for me. Gotta be the Yaris. It's got everything going for it over the Ciaz - space, reliability, safety, quality. Except the resale, which I guess is not important since you haven't mentioned it yet.

I know you rejected Creta the first time, but is it not an option again? Especially when you already have a sedan. Creta might do you good when it rains in Gurgaon.

PS: If Creta or anothre SUV is not an option, then I'll move the thread to the sedan section
Yes - please move it to sedans. As much as I'd want the Creta - the wife doesnt. Plus in auto Creta doesnt have 6 airbags to keep costs "reasonable". You're right - resale is not my decision criteria by a mile.

Yaris 3 Ciaz 1 then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While both of them suit your need, between the 2 , choice would be the Yaris. Just because it is a newer, rarer car.

Not sure if you are open to pre-owned, if so 13L maybe a good budget for a pre owned Corolla Altis or the Elantra. You mainly need it to do the basic things right. May as well do it with a D Segmenter.
Yaris 4 Ciaz 1

No pre-owned. It will anyways be driven by a chauffeur - need it safe and ultra reliable. If anything, I would've wanted a bit more ground clearance but the wife has a thing against SUVs.

Most Viewed