Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 28th July 2019, 21:35   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its 2019 and we are now getting our second car.
Any reason you are going for a full size sedan for a predominantly city rider?

Among sedans, any reasons to not consider the Etios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not sure if you are open to pre-owned, if so 13L maybe a good budget for a pre owned Corolla Altis or the Elantra. You mainly need it to do the basic things right. May as well do it with a D Segmenter.
Having lived with one for little over a year, I'd not rely on a pre-owned car as a daily driver that's going to accumulate good amount of miles. Pre-owned is best suited for those using as an occasional barge.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2019, 22:26   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
My budget is fixed at ~13L on road Gurgaon so i have two options (Yaris J and Ciaz Alpha)...

What do BHPians say? I'm all ears.
Thanks for the A2A.

It seems you are fixated on the 7 airbags in the Yaris, and other features don't matter, so the Ciaz Alpha is not your cup of tea.

When I bought my Ciaz Alpha, the features mattered - I wanted cruise control, the LED headlamps were far more brilliant than any halogen bulb, and space and comfort (as well as boot space) were important. I can make do with 2 airbags, and I try to compensate with my driving style to minimize risks as far as possible. Obviously, you will be hiring a chauffeur, whose driving style you cannot trust in bringing your family back home safely.

So I did a quick search of cars in (or below) your budget that come with at least 6 airbags, if not 7 - and they are, apart from the Yaris, the Ecosport (no, you don't want a mini-SUV), Aspire (you already got one), the i20 & i20 Active, and the new Figo.

Since you already love the Aspire, why not get another one with the 6 airbags? Or, for that matter, an i20? As an existing Ford owner, I am sure you can get a mouth-watering deal, as well as save quite a bunch of $$$. And Aspires also come with factory-fitted CNG option (not in the AT versions though, AFAIK).

I have nothing against the Yaris apart from the fact that it is extremely overpriced, is really poor on rear headroom (and legroom to an extent), has sold in minuscule numbers, and is difficult to resell without taking a big depreciation hit. As for the Ciaz, sure, I like my car (apart from those damned 55-profile tyres), but that doesn't mean it will meet your requirements too.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 06:15   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Having lived with one for little over a year, I'd not rely on a pre-owned car as a daily driver that's going to accumulate good amount of miles. Pre-owned is best suited for those using as an occasional barge.
Etios just has two airbags not the full set else it is an excellent choice for a daily driver in the city.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 13:04   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at your requirements, Honda City, followed by Ciaz is what I'd recommend.

My logic:
  • Much better Automatic than the Ciaz
  • Rear seat comfort is the best among all sedans. Headroom is a bit low compared to Ciaz, but the seats are much more comfortable with a bit larger seat squab.
  • Feels better built than the Ciaz
  • Engine is a Gem, nuff said!
  • If you stretch your budget, you can have the 6 airbags version.
  • Since two of my friends own Yaris, I have spent some time in it, and found its rear seats to be average at best. Headroom is tight, leg room is average and since the seats are placed a bit too low, the seating position was very uncomfortable for me.
  • If Yaris is on your mind because of 7 airbags, do consider that Toyota also has a reputation of airbags failing to deploy when you need them the most. My friend's ordeal when his Yaris was T-Boned: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4605866 (Toyota Innova Crysta ZX rolls over thrice! None of the 7 airbags deploy)

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 00:45   #230
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for replying - Narayan/Suresh/Shashi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Comfort (superior NVH) and safety given the Long commutes.

Etios interiors are depressing - my Aspire is quieter and more modern! The car is super reliable otherwise.

Yaris rear AC blower is very nice! I am never going to sit in the rear seat - at best the front. Yes - if required I will take off the rear head rest - its a hack of sorts but I would rather buy a car that makes the wife and son happy 95% of the time, than me unhappy 5% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Etios just has two airbags not the full set else it is an excellent choice for a daily driver in the city.
Yes - plus the interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Looking at your requirements, Honda City, followed by Ciaz is what I'd recommend
City is a very nice car - But my take is that Yaris gives me 7 airbags at a price about 3.5-4L below the City with a much better AC. Since its a beater car - it just needs to be comfortable, alloys, rear camera etc are all far less relevant.

btw, given the unnecessary (~1.3L+) automatic premium and very occasional usage by me, we are getting the MT.

I know of the incident with your friend. I'd rather take it as a one-off. This much I'd trust Toyota.

What annoys me currently about the Yaris and which i will most likely comply with - is Toyota's asinine policy on tyres.

Warranty doesnt cover the tyres but changing tyres voids the warranty if you listen to what the sales people say. Despite rock bottom sales, upon being asked to change tyres out of the showroom to Michelin, they simply refused to sell me the car.

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd August 2019 at 01:02.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 02:45   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This family sedan will:
- Be driven mostly Gurgaon locally or maximum to Noida (110km expressway .....no real highway touring (maybe once in 2-3 years for a trek?)
Given your needs- I'd consider the Jazz AT. It is the Honda City minus the boot with a less powerful engine.

However if you've set your mind on sedan- go for the Yaris. It's the best engineered car in the segment.
Quote:

In city driving like this - would those curtain airbags be of any use?
Yes, those curtain airbags can save you if you T-boned at even 25 kmph. My friend walked out of his Verna with a sprained neck.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:09   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Comfort (superior NVH) and safety given the Long commutes.
Why are you not considering a used Petrol Innova or the new Ertiga SUV with captain seats? There can be some good examples of Petrol Innova low mileage cars available in NCR. You can even convert to CNG if running is more. Since you need this car for rear-seat travel, nothing beat the captain seats.

Quote:
What annoys me currently about the Yaris and which i will most likely comply with - is Toyota's asinine policy on tyres.

Warranty doesnt cover the tyres but changing tyres voids the warranty if you listen to what the sales people say. Despite rock bottom sales, upon being asked to change tyres out of the showroom to Michelin, they simply refused to sell me the car.
Looks someone is giving you wrong information. Showroom guys will never exchange the tyres, you need to take the car to independent retailers and pay the difference. They will gladly take back old tyres. Change of tyres does not affect warranty ever. You can check with some other Toyota dealership.

It appears, you are sold out on Yaris, Its a good car but overpriced at Zero discounts. You should try to find some low run cars from last year. I won't suggest buying a new Yaris at Full price.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd August 2019 at 04:27.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 07:18   #233
Senior - BHPian

If you are always going to be sitting in the back seat I would strongly recommend a used Innova. Its reliable, comfortable and with captain seats hard to beat for what it does. Enough clean examples floating around.
If you must buy new, a City or a Ciaz.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:01   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Warranty doesnt cover the tyres but changing tyres voids the warranty if you listen to what the sales people say.
Even Hyundai guys told me the same. As per their logic, changing tyres to different size than stock puts additional stress on other components which are covered under warranty, such as suspension and steering. Technically correct for a different tyre size but switching to a different brand in stock size shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
they simply refused to sell me the car
Let them keep the car. Go to a different dealer.

Last edited by self_driven : 2nd August 2019 at 09:06.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2019, 02:02   #235
Senior - BHPian

Update: Its a wildfire Red Toyota Yaris in the end (color dictated by his highness) and we're taking delivery in ~14 hours.

Manufactured in March and delivered to the dealer end May. The discount is a bit lower than the numbers bandied about on the forums - helped in no part by my wife's employer (large private entity) qualifying the right corporate discount.

Will open a new thread about the experience in due course. Thanks a ton to everyone who responded.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2019, 08:15   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton to everyone who responded.
Congrats. Which variant did you go for?
self_driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 17:14   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Congrats. Which variant did you go for?

The G-MT variant. Since it is a family beater car - I only wanted rear AC and 7 airbags. I had no use for other things such as reverse camera (it has 2 sensors) or alloys or leather seats.

I felt sad that it didnt have cruise control. That wouldve made it fun on the highways even intracity.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote