Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 22:24   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Have you seen this offer.

The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15-toaster_tray_interest.jpg

http://www.tataaria.com/
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 22:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Long warranty (150k ideally) – the 80k extended warranty from Maruti is NOT enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Saar,

150K Kms warranty ?, I think no company offers such warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Right !
The best I recall of late, is 3 years / 1.2L kms with extended warranty for the Figo.
If I am not wrong, Linea enjoys the 150k Kms (for MJD) extended warranty which usually comes as a free package from Fiat. For T-Jet, the warranty extends till 1,96,000 Kms.

I don't know if you are considering Linea/Punto, but just thought of sharing this bit of information.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 1st October 2012 at 22:42.
rameshnanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 23:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

My views.

Once you have made up your mind to go for a new ride, it becomes difficult to retain your old one.

Now considering your requirements, my views on the choices.

Nissan Sunny / Evalia- Sunny maybe. But the Evalia? Why? You really dont need the space and from the looks of it, the car doesn't seem a fun to drive one too.

Renault Duster- Defenitely a good choice if you dont find it tad overpriced for what it offers.

Scorpio 4x4 - Too old and dated in my opinion.

Quanto- Seriously? If fun to drive is your criteria and swift D the bench mark, I dont know why are you even looking at it?

Ford Figo (if I settle back into a hatch) / Ecosport- Is Figo really an upgrade from the swift. It would be fun to drive due to the superior handling, but isn't it a tad slow compared to the swift (specially since you have that 'quick to accelerate' criteria).

Since you had included scorpio, why not the XUV 5OO. Also have a look at the Aria. I presume you are averse to Tata, but if Mahindra then why not?

My personal suggestion, since you dont really need 7 seats, go for the Duster or The Vento or Rapid. Sunny might be a good choice too. Though I would love to wait for the Ecosport too. But for how long?
Old 1st October 2012, 23:05   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From the SUVs, it would be the Renault Duster (top recommendation). You might want to wait for the Ford EcoSport as well. From a segment above, take a spin in the Skoda Yeti; extremely competent car, but you will have to take a gamble on the reliability & Skoda's after-sales.

Amongst sedans, I'd highly recommend the Nissan Sunny to you. Always brings a smile when commuting in the city. I love the Rapid & Vento too albeit, like the Yeti, you'll be gambling on long term reliability, expensive parts & after-sales quality.
Would like your opinion on a a question GTO

Comparing the Yeti and XUV on basis of reliability, which one would you rate higher and why?
While the XUV has the longest niggles thread on team-bhp,
the Yeti has backing of India's most feared A.S.S. dealer network and the Skoda name
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 23:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari

Would like your opinion on a a question GTO

Comparing the Yeti and XUV on basis of reliability, which one would you rate higher and why?
While the XUV has the longest niggles thread on team-bhp,
the Yeti has backing of India's most feared A.S.S. dealer network and the Skoda name
I don't know if gto supports this. But yeti is miles ahead of xuv in terms of engineering and finish. I haven't heard of a yeti break down yet. Why worry about a.s.s when reliability is supreme.?
Xuv will age fast, and nowhere near to yeti.
Yeti will put a smile every time you drive, I doubt xuv can do that.
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 23:35   #21
BHPian

Are pre-owned vehicles an option?

If so, Mitsubishi Outlanders are a good option. Automatics, sedan like ride with the versatility to go where you want when you want. Yes, you will have to compromise and settle for a vehicle which has 40-50K on the Odo.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
SO what am I considering?
Nissan Sunny / Evalia
Renault Duster
Scorpio 4x4 - it will be a good go-anywhere vehicle
Quanto? Its a hatchback on steroids and I need to see whether it gives more value or not.
Ford Figo (if I settle back into a hatch) / Ecosport
From your list, I feel the Sunny (or Scala if Renault ASC is better in your area) makes the best choice. And if you need an SUV-ish car, go with the Duster. In both cases you will get a frugal workhorse engine.

If the requirement is not too urgent, probably its worth to wait for the Ecosport.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:56   #23
NMS
BHPian

Where is Phamilyman Gone !!

IMO Yeti is definitely worth a look, as compared to the Innova considering your requirements. The safety features are good. Its just the A.S.S that might keep you away from it.

What is your take on Pre-Woshipped cars ? The kind of money you are willing to spend, can get you some real good deals !!
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I don't know if gto supports this. But yeti is miles ahead of xuv in terms of engineering and finish. I haven't heard of a yeti break down yet. Why worry about a.s.s when reliability is supreme.?
Xuv will age fast, and nowhere near to yeti.
Yeti will put a smile every time you drive, I doubt xuv can do that.
Yeti is ahead of XUV in engineering and finish - Agreed except the "Miles" part.

Have never seen the Yeti breakdown - Had a flat bed truck in my office in the recent past.

Reliability is supreme - SKODA?? I have had my colleague's car going to garage every now and then..and he feels the Service in Chennai is a nightmare. He owns a Laura.

I drive an XUV and have covered 11000kms in close to 2.5 months. Everytime I drive the XUV I have a wide grin on my face. Its an all rounder with a good combo of Power, Space and Equipment and Style. There a few niggles but as a package, it scores better than the YETI for the given cost (just my opinion)

I considered Yeti seriously during my buy (read numerous test drives, comparisons etc.) but the things that put me off was the rear seat THIGH support and poor Service

I am not sure why XUV is not considered, but it could a good contender. Just my 2 cents. Go with an open mind and take a test drive, you will be pleasantly surprised. All the Best for your purchase.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 2nd October 2012 at 09:37.
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Where is Phamilyman Gone !!
Thanks. I have been reading - i need time to respond to each person individually but have been deluged in work. I will respond by EOD. Thanks everyone.

This thread is like the ICE section all over again. You land up with a 10 budget, you are staring at 15

As far as the XUV is concerned, I am personally not considering it. I had a 700km spin (driven, not drove) and I was not much impressed by the refinements - it is vastly improved yet there is still a considerable gap vs the yeti for instance.

Given the spare prices and the general (lack of) reliability, Skoda / VW are broadly out of my criterion as well. I mean a vento's bumper costs 32k - my current swift bumper costs 3k. THAT is what I meant by, what more does a few lakhs give me?

@GTO: I have replaced the turbocharger thrice (once immediately after the accident with a donor piece from a totalled vehicle, 2nd time on coming to delhi and fitting a new unit, 3rd time recently). There comes a point where you give up and lose trust - when I replaced it earlier, I had no issues. Where do you say it is enough? Maruti does not believe in component warranties and only believes in forcing the blame on its dealers. If the best A.S.S in Gurgaon with personal intervention of multiple GMs still results in a leaky turbo, I don't know what to believe in, any more - I have thrown enough money at it. Would you drive out at 2am with wife and 15 month old kid for a 500km drive in a diesel car if you don't trust it? Hence, this thread.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:15   #26
NMS
BHPian

Phamilyman !! Agreed, if the initial impressions of the XUV weren't much to your likings, then they never will be (any car for that matter). The kind of Fit and Finish that Skoda gives is amazing. The build quality is truly amazing. If it wasn't for the less than average A.S.S it would have been the best choice. There are a couple of Fabia's in our family and till date they work like a charm. But there are many more Skoda Horror stories on this very forum that stops me from recommending a Skoda to anyone.

Scorpio should be a good deal, given that you do not mind the old design.

What about Pre-worshipped cars, that ways in the given budget you could look at some really neat Captiva's and the likes !!
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:00   #27
BHPian

In today's scenario almost every brand is stingy on warranties including respected/trusted/luxury brands. And when the warranty is out, and your car breaks-down; the ASSC's are adamant on replacements rather than repairing and most the spare parts costs a bomb!

Sadly, modern cars are a lot more complex and have much more parts resulting in more unpleasant surprises. With the manufacturer/dealer practice combined, leaves a big dent on the owners bank balance and mental mayhem.

First of all, chose the category based upon your usage! If a separate boot isn't required, even a premium hatch could suffice your requirements. if you really want a bigger car and don't need a 7 seats and off-road abilities, a budget sedan can do for you. I mentioned 'budget' because you don't want higher repair/replacement bills and mentioned that the vento's bumper alone costs 32k.

Post deciding the category, eliminate the brands you don't want or perceive unreliable. One of The left over cars/brands would be your next one!

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 2nd October 2012 at 13:10.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:32   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
......Now if I were to replace it - I would have the following considerations:
  • Closely meet or exceed the overall Swift experience
  • Frugal engine
  • Airbags (and ABS if possible)
  • Should not be too tough to park
  • Long warranty (150k ideally) –
  • Warranty on repairs –
  • Decent service in Gurgaon
  • Comfortable ride
  • Ability to carry a cycle or two
  • Under body protection.
  • Lie down / flat bed
I guess these easily says "Duster". Comfortable, Reliable, Frugal, Easy parking, Throw around on bad roads, ABS & Airbags in your budget. 85 PS RXL (O) / 110 PS RXL it should be; I will NOT look further.

Yeah, I tend to agree this is NOT VFM. But then what is the better option at that price bracket?

I see you would like to have a car which you can throw around on bad roads too, I will NOT prefer a sedan to do it! For the XUV / Yeti price, I would NOT abuse those, rather will baby it [most probably Ecosport too, until & unless I find it rough]. Duster looks rugged and has been proven to be used as a 4x4 abroad - so I consider this to be robust enough to handle abuse!

The only problem I feel will be on the Warranty / A$$ side of it [which is yet to be proven]. I have no doubt on the longevity of the engine though!

Quote:
....Would you drive out at 2am with wife and 15 month old kid for a 500km drive in a diesel car if you don't trust it? Hence, this thread.
Makes perfect sense! One last suggestion from me will be to get to a very competent independent garage. They usually go the extra mile to find & rectify the problem & grab the repeat business. But as I said, last resort!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd October 2012 at 03:36.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:28   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[*]Long warranty (150k ideally) – the 80k extended warranty from Maruti is NOT enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
150K Kms warranty ?, I think no company offers such warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Right !
The best I recall of late, is 3 years / 1.2L kms with extended warranty for the Figo.
I can only think of FIAT in this case.

Punto & Linea both come with 4 years/ 1.5L kms extended warranty.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
As far as the XUV is concerned, I am personally not considering it. I had a 700km spin (driven, not drove) and I was not much impressed by the refinements - it is vastly improved yet there is still a considerable gap vs the yeti for instance.
If you did not like it initially then i feel that no matter how much you drive it all those irritants you felt initially will really bog down your ownership experience.

I felt you were ok with a Scorpio hence an XUV would be better.

Most Viewed