Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 10:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The car got a 100% fitness certificate (as a matter of speech) from the Apra folks so I am thinking of using the car downpayment cash for a home loan retirement instead.
That might be the best route to take. You can get the car once interest amount in EMI tappers down to near zero. That can even put your budget in a higher bracket.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 10:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

So I wanted to update this thread. i LOVED the sunny. Its very nice to drive - a balanced car that is both quite eager (more refined and quicker than swift) and more settled on bad roads than the swift. The interiors are very nice and the brakes were okay too. The problem is that outside the interiors, I find myself wondering why I shouldn't save 1.4 L and get much superior bad road quality?

and here is the KICKER: Nissan Sunny's turbocharger costs 1.1 LAKHS! Yessir! Fog lamps cost 15000!!

Aside from that its, quite reasonable, with bumpers costing 4/3k, HL/TL being 3500 apiece,
Is sunny really quicker than the swift? I took a test drive few weeks back and it didn't feel quicker or agile as swift. I didn't test top end though.
But ride quality is way better.
DieselLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 12:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That might be the best route to take. You can get the car once interest amount in EMI tappers down to near zero. That can even put your budget in a higher bracket.
ha. I wont spend more. I'd rather spend that extra cash on fuel! WAMIG again i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Is sunny really quicker than the swift? I took a test drive few weeks back and it didn't feel quicker or agile as swift. I didn't test top end though.
But ride quality is way better.
Not really. I was just looking at the speedo. it didnt feel that quicker - but my usual routes were being done faster

FWIW - I just ripped the Verito on some terrible roads - it took them clearly better than the Sunny. And in the rear seat, while sunny had oodles of space, it didnt feel as planted as the front seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
There is no one perfect car which can obviously satisfy all people. A balance will need to be stricken by you. Don't over complicate matters otherwise you will land up more confused than when you first started out. The car that fits your lifestyle perfectly is the Yeti. But that comes with a iffy service backup and over shoots your budget too. Next is the Innova which you will start loving month after month for its reliability. Then comes the Diesel Vento which should fit your budget. It ticks most boxes right, except perhaps the poor after sales. Also give a look to the new Safari Storme. It's under stated but extremely high on ride quality (maybe the best amongst this lot), low running costs and now supposedly better reliability. It fits in your budget too.

Best of luck.
Agreed sirji. I know the fact that most such TBHP threads have so much useful information that the buyer can only end up getting confused and spoilt for choice

Yeti is ideal - if only it was made by Maruti and came with a ~10-12L landed price.

Vento is not even in consideration. 32k bumpers just completely killed my mojo right there. Even Sunny has bumpers costing 4k!

Safari is again not even in consideration. Somehow, the extra size doesnt rock my boat (Duster is just right) and the tata brand makes it out of consideration.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 22:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to check if you had also inquired on the spare-parts prices of the Verito, did you? If yes, how do they compare to the competition, especially if compared to say the Sunny or the Fiesta Classic TDCi.

Quote:

Vento is not even in consideration. 32k bumpers just completely killed my mojo right there. Even Sunny has bumpers costing 4k!

Safari is again not even in consideration. Somehow, the extra size doesnt rock my boat (Duster is just right) and the tata brand makes it out of consideration.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 23:22   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Tata is not something I want to get near. Enough horror stories in the family. Hence, Fiat will be avoided. Could have considered them if they had an independent network.
I am not sure when you wish to plonk your money & go ahead with purchase, But we might see FIAT opening it;s Independent Showrooms across Delhi / NCR shortly. Already they have Opened few down South.

And I do agree, Getting a FIAT serviced in TATA dealer is a pain and your dhingra stories . I have heard Some good Stories about One Mr Sharma in Him motors but for that you have to cross almost half delhi for some thing as simple as Service.

Only Service is a Suspect part Right now ( which i think will be sorted out shortly as FIAT has made it;s plan public wrt to Service centers ) else punto can be considered as well. it;s bumper is cheap .
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 23:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Just wanted to check if you had also inquired on the spare-parts prices of the Verito, did you? If yes, how do they compare to the competition, especially if compared to say the Sunny or the Fiesta Classic TDCi.
oh, that is a work in progress. Will update in due course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I am not sure when you wish to plonk your money & go ahead with purchase, But we might see FIAT opening it;s Independent Showrooms across Delhi / NCR shortly. Already they have Opened few down South.

And I do agree, Getting a FIAT serviced in TATA dealer is a pain and your dhingra stories . I have heard Some good Stories about One Mr Sharma in Him motors but for that you have to cross almost half delhi for some thing as simple as Service.
See, my basic job profile involves travel. The awesome over-engineered palio didn't make it simply because of the prospect of my wife visiting Dhingra motors was completely unpalatable. On the other hand, with the Apra GM, its almost family level trust / comfort - my help requests have been answered even as late as 10pm, something I am thankful for! I know that not only do they handle enough women customers, but that if she has to ever take it for any problem in my absence, it will be taken care of.

That said, I am wondering about the verito vs SX4. 7.5 vs almost 10L is a lot of difference! WMAIG besides peace of mind and awesome GC!
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:49   #67
Team-BHP Support

Buy the ETIOS sedan or the Sunny sedan. Good enough for you.
If you want rough road capability, go for the duster. 85bhp version is good enough for you.

However, remember. With nissan, if you get into an accident and want to replace a part like a door or something, you may need to wait for one month.

As for Toyota, you will get less car for your money. I still sometimes feel that I got robbed(I bought a liva),. But then it boringly runs and runs. Done 7000kms, and I do not know what to write in the ownership thread? Car running fine? No updates, no drama?

But since you had a car which was very reliable, you can look at Tata/Fiat if you are missing the excitement

My recommendation
SUV - Duster
Sedan - Anything will do. All C segment sedans are similar. Just take a TD, and buy which is the most comfortable.

I personally feel you do not need a SUV, unless you take a liking to lesser explored regions. And you definitely do not need a 4x4.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:17   #68
Senior - BHPian

Things could have changed in the past 6-7 months, but why I was curious to know about the Verito was because when I had driven it, it was good fun to drive & felt fairly composed. However, the only reason I was swayed away from it was the high spare part costs & suspect availability. We had visited one of Mahindra's service centers as well & spoke to two owners, but both of them were a little frustrated when it came to the after-sales & parts availability.
Though it's a Mahindra car today, but the spare parts (especially the K9K engine) are quite expensive.

If things are better today, then I must say that the Verito makes for a very strong contender.

Good luck & keep updating.

Quote:
oh, that is a work in progress. Will update in due course!

That said, I am wondering about the verito vs SX4. 7.5 vs almost 10L is a lot of difference! WMAIG besides peace of mind and awesome GC!
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hitanshu,

I usually find SX4 @ 7.5 excellent value of money, supposingly you are picking up Diesel one. However, if you are ok with duster's 85 ps engine it is for sure a VFM product in the said budget.

To conclude either, SX4 Diesel or Duster 85ps (preferably with option pack if you can stretch you budget till 10)

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Trying to be the odd one in here, as no one is recommending you this. Why not try the Hyundai Verna just for the sake of it? I know its a suspension disaster, but maybe the current setup will be to your likes.

Also, since everyone is recommending the Sunny, try the Scala too. I found the looks of Scala to be better than the Sunny.

In SUVs, do take a look at the Scorpio SLE.

Also, if there is an ounce of attraction towards TATA anytime, do take a look at the Storme.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

damn damn. Fiat, I WANT this

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...da-4x4-twinair
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:19   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
damn damn. Fiat, I WANT this
That looks like a Yeti clone especially from the back. At 14k Pounds that's nearly 12L + duties extra and its never gonna reach India. Why don't you give Yeti another look albeit in the cheaper 4x2 version. I have heard some people claiming to get it below 14L on-road in Gurgaon. You won't regret it. Skoda's are getting a refined purchase nowadays. And the Yeti comes with a beautiful 6 speed 'manual'. http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/ind/mode.../Features.aspx http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/IND/Docu...ti-Leaflet.pdf

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd October 2012 at 13:41.
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:58   #73
BHPian

Now that the Chevy Sail is out, why don't you have a look at that as well. Boring interiors aside it seems to be a pretty competent package.

Edit - Post # 555
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 15:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

I still think that the Innova is the better option for you -

. Bulletproof reliability, should translate to low long term costs.
. Service centre practically every where
. As a lot of Innovas run as Taxis, help is always available in any corner of India, practically at any time from other taxi drivers/mechanics.

Its only down side is that it is big and extremely boring to own - just goes on and on with no fireworks.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

I knew it!!!

Plonk the cash in retiring home loan, use the bonus to buy a new carbon bike and use your Swift VDi till 2L Kms. By then hopefully you would have figured out what you want .

Cheers

Most Viewed