Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 00:38   #1
BHPian

Hi folks, searched for a dedicated thread for a sedan below 20 lakhs, but couldn't find one and started a new thread which i thought might help others a well.
Mods, if there existed any such thread please merge it with the appropriate thread.

So after having the 2007 Accord 2.4 AT for 5 years we thought of replacing it with a new car.
So we have to buy a new car but which one to buy ?

Being a Honda user for the past 10 years, Honda Accord was the obvious first choice.
Next thing, we head Ring Road Honda.
The car is indeed a beauty and according to me the most premium car in the segment, But But But.. 23 lakhs for a 2 year dated model which is expected to discontinue any day.
The deal didn't strike the mind but the heart said, this is still the best car to have.

Then comes the VW Jetta.
As i enter the showroom i am greeted by a sales representative, telling me every single detail about the car.
I was pretty impressed with his knowledge about the car.
The Jetta is good looking for sure, but as others said going by the front you need a sharp eye to differentiate it from the Vento.
The interiors are doable and as premium as the accord i currently have.
The car is over all a nice package, baring VW's after sales and things mentioned in the official review like space for the 3rd passenger on the back seat etc.

Just road across i saw Galaxy Toyota, so thought of giving Corolla Altis as chance as well.
The car is a decent looker, with its simple styling And with a shape with has been there on the car for almost a decade now.
You enter the car and you feel as if toyota designed it for the 90's.
With nothing to boast about the corolla seemed a bit on the lower side on the list.
Considering the diesel variant offering just a 1.4 L engine which on papers seemed underpowered.

Ohh did a mention about the civic and the laura as well on the title ?
Yeah so coming to the Civic, we already have one is the house since 2006, still thought of giving it a chance and having a look at it.
The exteriors, umm.. I guess new bumpers, a new headlamp, a new tail lamp and a new grill would give my current car exactly the same look it has.
On the interiors, i couldn't make out any major difference between the old and the new model.
Plus buying a discontinued car was not something that i'd want, so there goes civic off my list.

Well, after reading so many good reviews about the Skoda Laura here on Team Bhp, i thought of giving it a chance as well.
The car seems a bit dated on the looks and i guess is due for a replacement next year( i could be wrong).
Frankly speaking i am not such a fan of its looks, in fact the previous gen laura was a far more good looking car.
From the interiors, everything seemed in place and just doing the needful, with basically nothing extra ordinary to offer. The rear legroom though was a cause of concern for me, as the car would be mainly chauffeur driven. There was another thing that was stoping me from going the laura way, was the Skoda after sales horor stories.

Now the thing is, coming from a class above all these cars it is quite difficult for me to decide which one to buy.
I have accepted the fact that i wont find a similar comfort or luxury on any of the above cars.
My need is basically a luxury car, manily chauffeur driven, which has a desent after sales and a goo resale value, i guess that covers pretty much everything

I am yet to test drive any of the cars above, which i would start doing within 2-3 days time once i get some time.

By the way last week we sold off our Accord for Rs.4.65L. I know this sounds a bit on the lower side for a 2007 accord 2.4 AT but this was the best deal i got in the past 6 months. Trust me selling a luxury petrol car is actually a pain, there are practically no buyers and all you get are dealers qouting all sorts of wierd offers.
This rings another bell in my mind, going for a diesel sedan this time.
You wont get anything for a petrol sedan in the resale market, plus diesel would save my running cost too, as long as the govt doesn't take back the subsidies.

So basically i need suggestions from all the gurus and other folks here on Team-bhp as too what car should i buy.
I have a budget of Rs.20L which could stretch a bit only if a get an extraordinary deal.
Feel free to correct me and do add other options aswell.

Thanks all.

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 3rd November 2012 at 00:51.
Old 3rd November 2012, 00:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jetta/Accord/Civic/Altis/Laura which one to buy.

Have you already decided not to consider the new Elantra, the Fluence?

Although I personally would not buy a Skoda, how much is the diesel Superb?

If you stretch a bit does it take you into X1 territory?
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Have you already decided not to consider the new Elantra, the Fluence?

Although I personally would not buy a Skoda, how much is the diesel Superb?

If you stretch a bit does it take you into X1 territory?
I did not personally try the Elantra, but a cousin of mine said that it feels claustrophobic on the rear bench.
It does have all the techies and goodies but i dont feel it is still closer to the other.

Coming to the Fluence, Renault is still in the unknown territory when it comes to after sales, then finding a buyer for a fluence at the time of resale would be an issue.
From the interiors, the car is a total turnoff.

Talking about the superb, it is 22.5 ex showroom delhi which would mean somewhere around 25 on road.
The BMW X1 comes at a price tag of 24.4 ex delhi. So basically both of them go out of budget.
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:42   #4
BHPian

I wouldn't suggest you a Laura because the next generation one(to be called Octavia) is coming next year. Well, why dont you consider the VW Passat or Skoda Superb ? Both have ample legroom and Superb has vast amount of legroom and both are perfect for chauffeur driven. Considering A.S.S of Skoda to be a on the negative side , i guess Passat is the best option IMO.

You just want a sedan right ? Not interested in the SUV segment ?

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 3rd November 2012 at 01:43.
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover
I wouldn't suggest you a Laura because the next generation one(to be called Octavia) is coming next year. Well, why dont you consider the VW Passat or Skoda Superb ? Both have ample legroom and Superb has vast amount of legroom and both are perfect for chauffeur driven. Considering A.S.S of Skoda to be a on the negative side , i guess Passat is the best option IMO.

You just want a sedan right ? Not interested in the SUV segment ?
Yes i am only interested in a sedan else the furtuner would have been the only car i would have considered

Be it Passat or be it Superb both come around a price tag of Rs.22L ex showroom for the base model diesel, which would mean around 25L on road, which make them out of my budget.
Moreover these are the base variants, i am not to sure about what all feature do they carry.
Old 3rd November 2012, 02:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Yes i am only interested in a sedan else the furtuner would have been the only car i would have considered
I was about to say Fortuner, if have SUV as an option

Then, Jetta it is ! Cruze has some serious hoses under the hood, but i think its not upto the Jetta, since you can spend upto 20L . Fluence is a good option as well. Elantra ? Well, I dont know much about it, but i think its decent. But, since you can spend upto 20L, why worrying? Go with Jetta. Only the middle seat problem right. I guess you would have to adjust with that. Finding one which ticks all the options are very hard IMHO.
Old 3rd November 2012, 02:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover

I was about to say Fortuner, if have SUV as an option

Then, Jetta it is ! Cruze has some serious hoses under the hood, but i think its not upto the Jetta, since you can spend upto 20L . Fluence is a good option as well. Elantra ? Well, I dont know much about it, but i think its decent. But, since you can spend upto 20L, why worrying? Go with Jetta. Only the middle seat problem right. I guess you would have to adjust with that. Finding one which ticks all the options are very hard IMHO.
You said it right, finding one which ticks all the options is very hard.

As of now Jetta seems to be at the top on my list. I am yet to test drive the car, but the reviews already say that it is a good machine over all.

The third passenger wont be much of an issue as the car would mainly have only 2 occupants and and a 3 passenger would be like only twice or thrice in a year.
Old 3rd November 2012, 02:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The third passenger wont be much of an issue as the car would mainly have only 2 occupants and and a 3 passenger would be like only twice or thrice in a year.
twice or thrice in an year? Then, no problems at all. It has got positive reviews from everywhere and i dont think you will feel a class below(as u mentioned) and it looks and feels premium as well. Further, it has a good motor and a good driver's car as well. Do let us know your impressions after Test-drive. I bet you will like it .
akhil_rpmlover is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Was on this thread a few days back, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html and realized just how much the c2 segment offers.

Maybe consider the kizashi. Yes, it is a Maruti and yes it is petrol and depreciation will better your accord, but with a 5L discount it is around 15 or 16 on road in Delhi. You save enough to cover depreciation and petrol.

Additionally it has the benefit of being rare so you stand out in the crowd of all the options you were considering.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks, searched for a dedicated thread for a sedan below 20 lakhs, but couldn't find one and started a new thread which i thought might help others a well.
Mods, if there existed any such thread please merge it with the appropriate thread.

So after having the 2007 Accord 2.4 AT for 5 years we thought of replacing it with a new car.
So we have to buy a new car but which one to buy ?
Have you considered pre-owned route? For your budget you will get very low mileage Audi or Beemer right?
Old 3rd November 2012, 06:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't you find this thread (Fish me out of this 15 lac soup!)? It's very active and all the cars in your shortlist have been discussed there.

Please continue the discussion in the other thread.

Mod Note: Thread Closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks