Team-BHP - NHC-Vtec or OHC Vtec..which is a better buy?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   NHC-Vtec or OHC Vtec..which is a better buy? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/12881-nhc-vtec-ohc-vtec-better-buy.html)

My cousin is planning to buy a car. He previously owned a baleno and now he s planning to buy a vtec. The thing he s confused about is whether to go in for the NHC Vtec or the OHC Vtec. He was very impressed with the old Vtec as most people here are) but when the new option is available whats the point in taking the old one. The criterion here are :
1) performance (how different is the performance of the NHC vtec when compared to the old one)
2) fuel efficiency (a very close second)
3) maintainance costs.
4) he plans to keep the car for about 3-4 years(may be more but defly 3 years).
I have asked him to consider other cars as well but he s hell bent on owning a vtec!!!!!

NHC / OHC / VTEC, this has getting to be a hi-torque topic than the VTECs themselves!!

If the need is power when, rather whenever - low rpm or high rpm, and fuel efficiency, go in for the VTEC only.

OHC or the NHC is purely a personal choice.

OHC is still a car that you can have confidence in even after the production has closed down.

If you have the money, and your need is what I described in line 2, go in for the NHC VTEC with no more looking around.

An OHC VTEC is for those who have the guts to say something like "the sun rises in the west" to the common man and still know that their machine will not let their point down.

I had posted this same question some time before and realised that hearts still throb for an OHC,.... so I went and hunted for a OHC VTEC. Am almost closing in on a deal. May have the car by this weekend.

Let your heart rule your head (only when it is a Honda)

Cheers
Anto.

I own a OHC VTEC. Its good that you are looking at many options..

My personal views for this is ..

1. NHC Vtec (if you are really after VTEC)
2. SKODA (its diesel, power, fuel efficent, great ride, 1/2 year old one.. u get it less than NHC vtec)

OHC Vtec lacks support for spares.. but if u get one for 3 lacs or less buy it.. only in good condition.. look out for fakes.. the engine cap may have VTEC not the engine itself.. be sure....

OHC VTEC any day. Since your cousin thought of it, and has been driving a Baleno, he's likely to be a little bit of a driver-oriented-car guy. The NHC is a tad more family-practical - but lots less fun.

I have an OHC 1.3, and how I wish I'd had the moolah for the VTEC or even a 1.5 at that time.

I don't really love Whitefield Honda for trying to dry up my bank account tho for every little scratch or teeny dent.

i ve never driven the NHC-Vtec myself but the old one is awesome for sure. Though the interiors are a bit ordinary. The NHC Vtec i think is a gneration ahead of the new one as far as the build quality and the looks are concerned. Correct me if i am wrong but these are my personal opinions.. thats the reason why i was not able to come up with a definite answer when he asked me for an opinion.
@gbpscars : How much is it coming for? can one find a well maintained OHC Vtec (considering its already 4 years now) selling for around 4.5l ?