Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2006, 18:32   #1
BHPian

Used Opel Vectra

Todays TOI (Mumbai) auto classified for sale of 2003 Opel Vectra 6200 km. Seller expects 8L. Any views on the car?
Old 5th May 2006, 18:56   #2
BANNED

i know the owner ...he was trying to sell the car to me before . he wanted 7 . i wanted it for 5.5 . he came down till 6 and after that he said he will advertise it . if within 2 weeks he does not get 6 or more ... the car is mine . i started laughing when i read 8L.
Old 5th May 2006, 19:03   #3
BHPian

what a loser... how's the car though? i also believe spares are a bomb (even by CBU import standards) and reliability and FE is even worse than a comparable Mondeo. any know on that?
Old 5th May 2006, 19:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Vectra is a Good Car

Hello , Come on people respect Vectra , and please dont compare it with Mondeo . That will be like comparing cheese to bread. They are both meant for different characters. Vectra obviously looks Techie , where as Mondeo is Classy and sporty . The biggest problem in Vectra are those gaugaes or automatic vehicle diagonastic report which alarms for every minute thing like low tyre pressure and stuff. But Frankly guys have you seen any car that looks so techie other than the new BMW 5 series ?
Old 5th May 2006, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

That car is full of electronics that are known to fail and cost a bomb to repair...plus the availability of spares is an issue as its all imported and it sold in limited numbers.
Theres a reason afterall that it didnt do well in the market.

I'd say STAY AWAY.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 5th May 2006 at 19:56.
Old 5th May 2006, 20:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Opel vectra I know has lots of goodies which sometimes confuse but those 2-3 people I know in abad who drive a vectra have never complained of any problems. I have actually seen a idiot race a vectra to a Skoda.

at that price its certainly a steal but be ready to wait for spares.

but this link maybe helpful on how to get better service. www.opel.co.in
Old 5th May 2006, 21:57   #7
BANNED

Good car, but like everyone says, service and spares will cost a bomb.
Old 5th May 2006, 23:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

O p e l

Opel is obviously expensive , and quality is something to be experienced . I prefer a used Mondeo Petrol but as I had said earlier its a matter of taste . It doesnt have a classy shape , not very comfortable either , spares very expensive , but somethings go way beyond logic. Its just a matter of what you feel for the car. I prefer a Mondeo to Accord and camry coz thats a matter of personel preferance. May be some one out there prefers Vectra , now .....he surely needs to get money stacked somewhere ..like some one had said
Old 5th May 2006, 23:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

and 2003 Vectra still only 6200 kms on ODO meter ? thats interesting , he must have mistaken it for trip meter
Old 5th May 2006, 23:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

And Sam I am using a Mondeo myself , a petrol one ...no ...no ....absolutely no problemo.....and in fact when the new one came in I was a bit tempted to trade in but resale value very poor.
Old 6th May 2006, 01:22   #11
BHPian

A vecta lying in a second hand car showroom in Bangy is up for grabs for 11 lakhs. Its been there for like ages. Seems like noone wants to buy it for that price.
Old 6th May 2006, 03:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

expensive parts, heavy on fuel, e.t.c. Youve got to pay atleast something to own a vectra, remember nothing in the world comes for free. And at the price o 6 lakhs plus a few parts its yet a steal compred to the initial 18 lakhs the owner paid for it.

manson.
Old 6th May 2006, 12:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dats a very logical reply manson.

The price of the car is a good steal. But being a 16 lac car you will still need to maintain it the same way.

the same reason why the old mercs and bmws at 5lacs are not a steal. LOL
Old 6th May 2006, 14:18   #14
BHPian

We were contemplating buying a used 2003 Vectra a few months back but decided against it due to the obvious reasons mentioned above. At that price quoted was around 10 lakhs. The car was impeccable and really well maintained.

2 weeks back saw an ad in the paper for another 2003 Vectra asking for 9.5 laks, I though he was asking for 1 or 1.5 lakhs extra but after reading this thread, I think he was asking for the moon in exchange .

Generally, used premium cars have a little more resale value than in Mumbai or Delhi.
Old 6th May 2006, 15:08   #15
BHPian

just one fact to scare away any potential buyer looking for a vectra - it has a computer system, as pointed out by many, which beeps every now and then......and the thing is that, it also warns (through dispaly) when the next service is due, say maybe about 250-500 kms earlier........and if you dont go for it, the car will come to a stand-still at the specified kms.....and the service guy will have to bring an electronic insrtument which will be fitted to the icu of the engine & manipulated and only then you will be able to go forward.........this was told to me by a person in the opel service centre!!!
HOWZZAT

Last edited by arif_t01 : 6th May 2006 at 15:11.

Most Viewed