Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2006, 12:42   #1
BANNED

Honda City or Verna?

Hi,

I am planning to buy a sedan by end of this July, have checked all options and best seems to be Honda City amongst what is available. However, Verna is expected to be launched in September.

So my question- Is it worth waiting for Verna launch? or Honda still will be the best buy.

Thanks in advance.
Udit
Old 11th May 2006, 12:55   #2
BHPian

HI,what is it that you are looking for in your car?if its good FE and good interiors etc dont look beyond the city.but the city is not much fun to drive
Old 11th May 2006, 13:08   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think it would be silly for anyone to make a comparision...without the Verna even available in the market.

Wait for the launch and subsequent reviews. Also make it a point to test drive yourself.

GTO
Old 11th May 2006, 13:46   #4
BANNED

I agree it does not make much sense comparing as of now... but my concern is just around is the wait worth ( so i meant how is the review of the car worldwide ); but yes i am confused what shld i do; not able to make up my mind amongst

City, Aveo, Baleno, Lancer,Accent Viva...

I know now you will say this has been discussed 1000 times here... anyways plz share ur thoughts....

what i want in my car:

1. Good mileage
2. Good Styling both external and internal ( external rated more )
3. Low Maintainence Costs

Thanks a ton for your responses...
Udit
Old 12th May 2006, 05:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

What is a good mileage according to you. I consider 10 as pretty good for sedans in this price range while 12kmpl and above is good. All the cars you mentioned will do 10kmpl. NHC,Lancer and baleno have the capacity to return 12+ kmpl too.

Styling wise I hate chevy aveo and maruti baleno. NHC is a debatable issue as long as looks are concerned. Hyundai accent looks subtle and good. Lancer looks beautiful but a bit dated. Ford fiesta is not the best looker but ties in with lancer.

maintainence costs again should not really be an issue. But maruti does the job best. All others will be in the same regions with a few 100bucks here and there.

fiesta is a better product than Aveo and Accent is much outdated.

Baleno scores with more horses, auto a/c and maruti network but is the oldest car here and looks just plain bland( a few owners think otherwise)

NHC has the best interiors, Honda reliability(many swear by it), Good FE, Good looks( Debatable issue) but is the least powerful, and is beaten in ride and handling department. Futuristic touches all around look good. IS newer than its competition.

Lancer1.5 has more torque than baleno or NHC for comfortable city drives, looks neat and handsome, Still the best ride and handling in class, fun to drive, smoothest and the most refined engine. Power is just about adequate for anything you need.
invecs 1.8 one of the best engines and gearboxes around. performance equivalent to NHC vtec and gives FE of 10 in city. New price revisions along with discounts make it attractive.

Interiors are as drab as baleno, Is dated now, Good service backup and maintanence is low but HM heads suck bigtime. Is best in half the depts but worst in the other half.

I would suggest you look at ford fiesta. If you swear by a Jap car then look at NHC/Baleno/Lancer. For an auto look at invecs 1.8. For a diesel both accent and fiesta are good.

But fiesta while not best in any particular department plays to be a good allrounder.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 12th May 2006 at 05:37.
Old 12th May 2006, 07:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

The Verna has not yet been launched and so, nobody is in a position to comment on it right now. I say, go for the Honda.
Old 12th May 2006, 09:11   #7
BHPian

Hi Udit !!

As far as practicality, maintenance, good looking interiors and exteriors are concerned to me from the current lot - Chevy Aveo is the best although it may have a notchy gearbox only compared to Fiesta (which has the best gearbox) and NHC.

Aveo is a brilliant allround package and as per the article in Autocar magazine i feel its gonna be better than the new Accent (Verna) also.

Aveo has the best ride comfort and is most spacious amongst others including NHC.

Its giving me an average of 11 in city with only 500 KMs on the odometer so far so i expect it to rise by 1 - 2 km/l atleast after 1st service.

GM service is improved remarkedly and service costs were high only in the OPel days but with Chevy brand their cars are cheap to maintain ( maybe 10% higher than the maruti / hyundai).

Now you decide as per your priorities bcoz eventually you gotta drive / own it.

Cheers.
Old 12th May 2006, 09:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Aveo is a brilliant allround package and as per the article in Autocar magazine
As per AutoCar shoot out, overall they have rated Fiesta above Aveo.

Quote:
i feel its gonna be better than the new Accent (Verna) also.
That is your wish, right?

Both are good cars and better VFM compared to Honda, so Udit, you need to decide.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:41   #9
BHPian

my vote will go for honda. considering the mileage of accent GLS even if verna improve it i m sure they wont b able 2 match honda. also the reliability of honda is much better. verna looks more or less like the accent.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

I understand that Honda is reliable but consider this.

NHC 1.5ltr with 77hp at tap does 13kmpl
chevy aveo 1.6 with 100+ horses does 11-12
ford fiesta 1.6 with 100+ horses does 11-12 with ease

Throw in better ride and handling characteristics. competitive interiors and more kit at competitive price.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:51   #11
BHPian

my vote too goes for the honda based on your criteria. while many people have unrealistic expectations of the city's mileage, it is still best in class. plus reliability is guaranteed. interior quality and comfort is miles ahead of the others. only issue was external styling, the new ZX is an improvement, but its a matter of personal taste.

the last autoshow on CNBC carried a first impression of the verna. the external styling was dull - half hearted copy of the corolla. the anchor was also not impressed with the engine performance, which was unresponsive. plus points mentioned were interior space - much more than current Accent, interior quality - very good, and new CRDI motor in the diesel variant (but at a much higher cost).
Old 12th May 2006, 10:52   #12
BHPian

Hi Sivdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
As per AutoCar shoot out, overall they have rated Fiesta above Aveo.

That is your wish, right?

Both are good cars and better VFM compared to Honda, so Udit, you need to decide.
-----------------------------

You didnt read the line carefully ... it has an "and" in between .......

"Aveo is a brilliant allround package and as per the article in Autocar magazine i feel its gonna be better than the new Accent (Verna) also"

I was referring that Aveo would be better than the new Accent as per the article in Autocar.

However for Aveo vs Fiesta ... the autocar verdict and so is mine after driving Aveo and Fiesta both is that Fiesta does beat Aveo in terms of best gearbox and more smooth engine but Aveo is not that far behind in these 2 aspects and in other factors obviosuly beats Fiesta .....

My choice Aveo which i own .... others can buy what they find better as per their needs and thats what i did mention at the end in my earlier post.

Cheers.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:59   #13
BHPian

the problem is that the rated bhp is no indication of actual performance - ask any Optra or Accent Tornado owner. i think because of the torque characteristics of cars like the NHC and the Lancer, they are much more responsive at the low end and therefore, more fun to drive than these so called 100+ bhp cars.

also, stated mileage and actual mileage on city traffic conditions is a real issue. my neighbour owns a NHC - gets around 11 with AC always on in Mumbai traffic and a couple of guys in my office have bought the Fiesta 1.6 - they get around 9kmpl.

A 2 kmpl FE difference means an additional 3 days of commute between office and home for every fuel refill, which is quite a big deal. plus, ford's *** is pretty bad, atleast in mumbai and i'm sure fiesta / aveo spares will be the costliest in the C segment.
Old 12th May 2006, 11:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRao
the problem is that the rated bhp is no indication of actual performance - ask any Optra or Accent Tornado owner. i think because of the torque characteristics of cars like the NHC and the Lancer, they are much more responsive at the low end and therefore, more fun to drive than these so called 100+ bhp cars.

also, stated mileage and actual mileage on city traffic conditions is a real issue. my neighbour owns a NHC - gets around 11 with AC always on in Mumbai traffic and a couple of guys in my office have bought the Fiesta 1.6 - they get around 9kmpl.

A 2 kmpl FE difference means an additional 3 days of commute between office and home for every fuel refill, which is quite a big deal. plus, ford's *** is pretty bad, atleast in mumbai and i'm sure fiesta / aveo spares will be the costliest in the C segment.
I understand your concept of the power figures but one cannot say that a car with 23hp less can have adequate power. that difference is visual when the power difference is around 5-7hp.

and for that 2kmpl mileage diff look at the kit you get at a lesser price alongwith more power and better ride and handling characteristics. And if FE is more of a concern then there is always the smaller 1.4 which also makes more power than the 1.5 honda and equally competitive torque figures with FE which is similar if not more.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 12th May 2006 at 11:19.
Old 12th May 2006, 11:58   #15
BHPian

I would suggest you to wait for Verna, because the cars u have mentioned except Chevy aveo and Ford Fiesta other all seems to be outdated.Why not extend your time upto September???
Test drive the Verna and City,decide which one u want.
Afterall its you who's gonna live with her!!!

Most Viewed