Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Given a choice which of these would you choose?
Honda Amaze Petrol MT 60 11.17%
Swift Dzire Petrol MT 30 5.59%
Honda Amaze Diesel MT 285 53.07%
Swift Dzire Diesel MT 74 13.78%
Honda Amaze Petrol AT 70 13.04%
Swift Dzire Petrol AT 17 3.17%
None of these something else 85 15.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 11:01   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Petrol cars: Tata Zest or Skoda Rapid?

Even if the commodity is new, I would still suggest you go with the Zest. Yes, Skoda Rapid is one segment above, looks good and the build quality will be much better, but high maintenance cost of a Skoda is a big turn off for many. Also I expect Tata ASC to be better than Skoda, esp. today when they are not leaving any stones unturned for getting back into business.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 19:47   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What variant of Rapid are you getting for 7L? The entry level Active MT that has neither airbags nor ABS is just under 8L OTR Delhi (without discounts). If you want basic safety features that in my opinion are essential when buying any new car you will have to stretch by another lakh.

This is part of the Independence Day offer. We are looking at the mid variant Ambition Plus (7.07 ex-showroom Delhi) which compared to the top variant Elegance seems to miss only the projector headlamps, auto climate control as the two significant features.

Also the Rapid is long in the tooth now and the NA petrol engine is nothing to write home about. Zest is new and rather exciting, what with its 3 drive modes and the turbo petrol engine. Plus it is smaller, which makes it easy to drive and park in the city. Also means you will get more value in terms of features/rupee spent.

I would say go with the Zest.
We have booked the Rapid MPI Ambition Plus just now. Still have the Zest booking and we are planning to TD again and then finally decide in case the Zest's top variant price is too appealing to ignore.
Old 12th August 2014, 15:30   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMeMyself View Post
We have booked the Rapid MPI Ambition Plus just now. Still have the Zest booking and we are planning to TD again and then finally decide in case the Zest's top variant price is too appealing to ignore.
Now that the Zest pricing is out, I think the car presents a very strong case to be ignored. You are getting more features for 2 L less (considering 5.99 ex showroom for Zest and 7.99 for Rapid MPI Ambition Plus (price from carwale) ).

It may be my perception, but I feel that even if I have issues with Tata, I can get it fixed by contacting higher ups, but in case of Skoda, I don't have the hopes. Again, I may be wrong but this is just my perception.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 15:34   #169
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze vs Maruti Dzire vs Hyundai Xcent

Go for top end Zest and zest up your life. 5.99 price tag for top variant is hard to ignore!
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 22:27   #170
BHPian

I somehow am not too comfortable with the Xcent rear though the boot is integrated better than the Dzire. The Grand has a fabulous rear and the Xcent seems a novice's attempt. I like the Amaze design of lines and angular shapes with those almond eyes. Infact the Amaze is well proportioned as that segment cant live with an over dose of curves due to the 4m constraint.

I am yet to check out the Zest but it looks promising from initial reports, haven't got the urge to move my lazy self to the doors of the Tata showroom, though I did take time off to visually check the new Polo and new Linea.

Maybe the lack of urge is due to my feeling inside that any car in this segment is a compromise of sorts so have to approach them with lesser expectations and then let the car impress us whatever way it can.

Having said that this is the segment which carries the Indian auto industry on its shoulders but apart from the Xest and Xcent, both Amaze and Dzire seems half hearted, more so the Amaze with its pathetic construction, though both are bread & butter cars for their makes. Going by the Zest reviews, Honda should be brought to task for their lackadaisical (or maybe overconfident) approach.
Old 15th August 2014, 23:22   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMeMyself View Post
I know this might be a strange question, and I'm comparing apples and oranges. But - I'm seriously confused and would appreciate any inputs that the forum members can give me!

I have a budget of around 7 lakhs for a petrol car. What I want are decent mileage, good city driveability, reliability, and maintenance costs. It'll mostly be driven by a single person on fairly easy roads, with maybe a long trip once or twice a year, for a total distance of about 7,000 km annually. Space inside the car is not a constraint. I enjoy driving, but do not redline or even go into the higher rpms

I have booked the Zest, and have also done a short test drive. I quite liked the car.

I just took a test drive of the Rapid. I quite liked this car too. And the solidity is, of course, reassuring.

The main reason to TD the Rapid is husband's idea to make use of an ongoing offer of lower pricing along with a good financing deal. What this essentially means is that if I stretch my budget by around lakh, I get a car from a higher segment. The finance deal works out pretty sweet, considering that I intend to take a loan to cover a large part of the car cost.

I own an Indigo and an Indica, so am no "Tata-Basher" and am aware of the TASS experience. I have no experience with anything Skoda.

Now my questions:
1) Without considering difference in the initial costs, which is a better option: Skoda or the Zest?
2) What FE can one expect from the Rapid petrol with sedate driving in the city with medium traffic conditions?
3) Is the Skoda ASS a deal breaker? Considering we are comparing Tata and Skoda?
4) How expensive will it be to maintain a Skoda petrol? How much would be average annual maintenance costs? And how expensive are Rapid spares compared to Tata spares?

To complicate things, I need to take this decision before the launch of the Zest, i.e., before the 12th Aug, giving me very little time to figure things out!!

Thanks in advance for your help!
However competent the product is on paper, it is yet to prove itself though all of us wish the car does brilliantly well in this market.

Since your are bringing a car from a higher segment into the picture, I will easily go with the Rapid as it feels every bit a proper bigger car and though we fear Skoda gremlins, Rapid is among their more reliable cars with not much electronics that could go wrong, add to it the company is confident of this product which is why they offer the 5 year warranty which should rest your immediate concerns, but seriously is the Rapid priced that low that it now compares with the Amaze/Dzire bracket, give/take a few thousands, how do they break even the costs of manufacturing then.

Edit: Okay I just read above that there is a 2 lakhs difference in price, that's substantial, if so then Zest makes sense, moreover newer platform, more features and fully loaded with complete safety package, all this 2 lakhs lesser.
If it was similarly priced and the only difference being features then I'd go for the car that is fundamentally better, of course Rapid I guess does not have ABS in the lower variants which is a major turn off, if the other has it.

Do let us know what you eventually picked.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 15th August 2014 at 23:39. Reason: Edit: Zest price difference
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 11:13   #172
Senior - BHPian

Mods,

The poll has options for only Amaze and Dzire.
The thread title says Amaze vs Dzire vs Xcent.
The most recent posts are comparing these 3 as well as the Zest.

Can we reset the poll and have all options listed? Just adding the additional options would give the current values a head start and hence the request to reset the responses so far along with changing values.

EDIT: I think there is already a new thread comparing all 4. So this can be closed.

Last edited by zenren : 21st September 2014 at 11:18.
Old 18th June 2015, 20:46   #173

Question: I am seriously considering a Swift Dzire (2015 updated version), however when i approached a dealer in my vicinity, and booked the car, and asked for the Magma Grey color, i was told that the color would fade faster than the other colors. Is this some kind of gimmick to push sales of other colors, or maybe they dont have any available stock of the said color? Or is it really true that the color fades quicker than the rest?
Old 18th June 2015, 21:31   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocaine View Post
Question: I am seriously considering a Swift Dzire (2015 updated version), however when i approached a dealer in my vicinity, and booked the car, and asked for the Magma Grey color, i was told that the color would fade faster than the other colors.
Could be that they are trying to push the standard for like white and silver that move like hot cakes.

What these guys do is they have commission set if they sell cars that are readily available and regular selling. If one dealer orders cars of different good it disrupts line efficiency st the plant scale as Maruti Suzuki isn't piling inventory but manufacturing only after they receive the booking details from dealers.

I suggest you to visit another dealer before finalising.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 22:05   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Could be that they are trying to push the standard for like white and silver that move like hot cakes.

What these guys do is they have commission set if they sell cars that are readily available and regular selling. If one dealer orders cars of different good it disrupts line efficiency st the plant scale as Maruti Suzuki isn't piling inventory but manufacturing only after they receive the booking details from dealers.

I suggest you to visit another dealer before finalising.
Roger that. Thanks a4anurag, i did check other dealers, but got a pretty sweet discount with the current guy. But the color fading statement is a joke i guess, i don't mind waiting, but will surely get it from this dealer. Thanks again!
Old 18th June 2015, 23:33   #176
Team-BHP Support

Wait, and buy the colour you want. For everything else, there is :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ean-shiny.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks