Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Ford Classic vs Honda Amaze (Petrol)

Funny comparison you would think. On one hand we have the old but tried and tested Classic that is (what) some 5-6 years in the market? And on the other Hond(a) we have the brand new shining Amaze.

My constraints are as follows
1a. I drive some 5-6 kilometers a day to and from office, and I commute to office by car only about 3-4 days in a month.
1b. I drive a maximum of around 20-25 kilometers over the weekends, when I do.

The result being that I have to go for a Petrol as a Diesel car just does not make any economical sense to me.

2. I would like to buy a car that costs a maximum of 5.5 lakhs ex-showroom Bangalore. This is pretty much the limit to which I can stretch to. If I can get something around 4.5 then I would jump at it.

3. I would really like a drivers car. I have suffered in a Tata for far too long. I would also like a car that is stable at highway speeds. A TD of an Alto was very disconcerting after having driven around my Vista.

4. I don't travel weekends often, but would like boot space available for when I do. I don't want this to be a compromising factor in my holiday plans and/or make seating uncomfortable whenever I do go on a weekend getaway. Brio gets booted out, though I loved that car.

5. I would really like some power on tap so looking at something around 80+ horses, or an similar power-to-weight ratio. Not really looking at mileage, and if it gives 12-13+ in city then I am happy.

6. I am not too keen on a sedan (I prefer a hatch), but looks like that is what will fit my requirements as a 'driver'.

With all these requirements/constraints, I felt the best fit would be a Ford Classic. I am all set to go ahead with that unless I am convinced otherwise.

Then I started thinking about the Amaze. The petrol would cost similar and though it is low of power as compared to the Classic (the only car in that budget to have 100 horses), it is a Honda and I am think drive-ability will be awesome.

The only downer to the Classic is that they do not have any TD vehicle and I will be buying blind.

So what do you think about my decision to go for the Classic. I couldn't find any info on this site (looks like the threads are archived like the car will soon be) and hence I am making this post. Or should I drop the Classic and just go for another car like the Amaze? Or are there other options that I missed.

PS: Dzire was an option, but I find myself uncomfortable in that car, and it just doesn't wow me.
Old 14th May 2013, 10:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Classic vs Honda Amaze (Petrol)

The Fiesta Classic is a proven car, though a wee bit old. You can read my long-term-ownership report to get an idea of how it compares to others in the segment and also how much it costs to maintain. I think it will suit you to the T.

The Amaze is a new car, but the driving dynamics are nowhere near the Ford. Even the All New Honda City cannot match the Classic when it comes to handling, steering feedback and driving dynamics, and therefore I do not expect the Amaze to better the City.

However, the Amaze might give you better F.E. and might have more features than the Classic, as you'll only get the basic model of the Classic at your price point.
vnabhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 10:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
So what do you think about my decision to go for the Classic. I couldn't find any info on this site (looks like the threads are archived like the car will soon be) and hence I am making this post. Or should I drop the Classic and just go for another car like the Amaze? Or are there other options that I missed.

Oh man, You should go for the Classic..BLIND. Numerous petrolheads who have driven the 1.6 Ford motor will vouch for it.

The Amaze is brilliant - I'll give you that - but its ride and handling (for a keen driver) is not a patch on the Fast FORD's capabilities. The Amaze is responsive, fuel efficient, well built and for a normal driver it will be the perfect car. But for a pure driver's car nothing beats the FORD 1.6 at that price point. Sure its not as fuel-efficient and the looks are dated, but the chassis is brilliant, the car is well built, the steering is telepathic and the 1.6 petrol motor is a hoot to drive. Follow your heart on this one sir, you have suffered long with the TATA, its time you really enjoyed what a car can do.

Last edited by itsgeox : 14th May 2013 at 10:58.
itsgeox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My constraints are as follows
1a. I drive some 5-6 kilometers a day to and from office, and I commute to office by car only about 3-4 days in a month.
1b. I drive a maximum of around 20-25 kilometers over the weekends, when I do.

The result being that I have to go for a Petrol as a Diesel car just does not make any economical sense to me.

2. I would like to buy a car that costs a maximum of 5.5 lakhs ex-showroom Bangalore. This is pretty much the limit to which I can stretch to. If I can get something around 4.5 then I would jump at it.

3. I would really like a drivers car. I have suffered in a Tata for far too long. I would also like a car that is stable at highway speeds. A TD of an Alto was very disconcerting after having driven around my Vista.

4. I don't travel weekends often, but would like boot space available for when I do. I don't want this to be a compromising factor in my holiday plans and/or make seating uncomfortable whenever I do go on a weekend getaway. Brio gets booted out, though I loved that car.

5. I would really like some power on tap so looking at something around 80+ horses, or an similar power-to-weight ratio. Not really looking at mileage, and if it gives 12-13+ in city then I am happy.

6. I am not too keen on a sedan (I prefer a hatch), but looks like that is what will fit my requirements as a 'driver'.

With all these requirements/constraints, I felt the best fit would be a Ford Classic. I am all set to go ahead with that unless I am convinced otherwise.

Then I started thinking about the Amaze. The petrol would cost similar and though it is low of power as compared to the Classic (the only car in that budget to have 100 horses), it is a Honda and I am think drive-ability will be awesome.

The only downer to the Classic is that they do not have any TD vehicle and I will be buying blind.
Between these two cars go for the Ford Classic if you're not bothered about resale value and fuel efficiency. Ford IS a better drivers car as well as a better sedan between these two. Only minus i see is that its been in the market since a long time.

1) It looks like a proper sedan with understated yet elegant design.
2) Torquey engine of the Ford. Honda is weedy at the low end and its no fun at the top end either with a 140kmph cut off .
3) Ford is the better handling one, well sorted suspension and chassis.
4) Ford has the better interiors, Amaze's dashboard looks and feels quirky.
5) Its the Honda City that Ford Classic shared the segment with.

Last edited by Sankar : 14th May 2013 at 11:20.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:21   #5
BHPian

IMO, neither.
Figo fits the bill as a driver's hatch + good boot space. Even though you will be nuts to buy a diesel, consider the entry and entry+1 models TDCi for the fun factor. They should come below 5.5L ex-showroom.
Whatever you do, follow your heart. This is from someone 'existing' with an i10.
Will this one join the Pista in the stable?

Last edited by WindRide : 14th May 2013 at 11:23.
Old 14th May 2013, 11:35   #6
BHPian

The Figo Diesel (not the 1.2 Petrol) is a perfectly good option for a drivers hatch.

Check out my ownership review here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...delighted.html

I'll update the 30k kms review shortly and also the 185/65/R14 Yoko A-drive tyre upsize review too.

But in case you are averse to the idea of a diesel and/or hatch and you want a free revving, tourquey petrol sedan (with a good soundtrack ) at that price point, its back to the 1.6 Classic again. Nothing gets better than that.
Old 14th May 2013, 11:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

You might add the 1.5 L Liva Sportivo petrol hatch to the equation. If you are looking for an out and out driver's car, it's got to be the Ford Classic. Steering feedback = Ford. The Liva Sportiva 1.5L would be ~80% of the Classic, but it would be more trouble free in the long term. If you have you heart set on a sedan go for the Ford Classic. If you are willing to look at a hatch, TD the Sportivo before signing on the dotted line. The Amaze is an excellent everyday car, but not something that would communicate to the driver like a Ford.

Last edited by longhorn : 14th May 2013 at 11:37.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 13:28   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Classic vs Honda Amaze (Petrol)

The Honda Amaze is not a driver's car at all. It's steering, handling & dynamics are tuned for the mass market. While the diesel is class-leading, there are better petrol engines in the segment.

If you're looking at a driver's car, I would highly recommend the Fiesta 1.6, or the Etios / Liva 1.5. Either of these offers a far more satisfying driving experience than the Amaze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Figo fits the bill as a driver's hatch + good boot space.
The Figo might have the dynamics, but it doesn't have anywhere near the power of the cars being spoken of here.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 13:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

And the Ford is (surprisingly) not so expensive to maintain as well!
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 15:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Will this one join the Pista in the stable?
Naaahh... the Pista will get the boot. I could manage the Tata as long as my lease company was taking care of it. But I am in no mood to manage the niggles of the car after the lease period. And the less said about the efficiency of Tata service, the better.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great people mover - spacious and pliant. In terms of electrical and maintenance, a car it is not!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If you are willing to look at a hatch, TD the Sportivo before signing on the dotted line.
I definitely like the Sportivo package, but it goes beyond my budget. The Etios G might still be a stretch, but probably not Sportivo. Will not keep me from TDing it anyway.

For that matter, the heart is currently set on the GT TSI, but the head firmly knows it is out of bounds.

@ itsgeox, You bet. Looks like there is still an overwhelming liking and appreciation for the Ford. Surprising no other car (manufacturer) has stepped in to replace this in its segment.

I am more confident now of buying it without going for a TD. Again, this is a car that I am expecting my lease company to pick up for me. So I am not much concerned about maintenance or resale (will just give the car back, worst case). If after 4 years Ford still continues to supply it with parts, then I will keep it as a long-termer even.

@All: Thanks for your inputs, keep your comments coming though.
In my history in TBHP, I have never seen a buying decision polarized this much and made this simple.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2013 at 16:28. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 14th May 2013, 15:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Funny comparison you would think. On one hand we have the old but tried and tested Classic that is (what) some 5-6 years in the market? And on the other Hond(a) we have the brand new shining Amaze....
Would you be open to the idea of second hand car?? I don't know anything about the second hand car market in Bangalore but since petrol cars suffer from poor resale,I am sure you would be able to get a 3year old top of the line fiesta 1.6sxi for 5 lakhs since the fiesta has poor resale.
Or you could even be able to get a Honda city or even a civic as well for 5.5 lakhs.

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 14th May 2013 at 15:51.
Old 14th May 2013, 16:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Would you be open to the idea of second hand car?? I don't know anything about the second hand car market in Bangalore but since petrol cars suffer from poor resale,I am sure you would be able to get a 3year old top of the line fiesta 1.6sxi for 5 lakhs since the fiesta has poor resale.
Or you could even be able to get a Honda city or even a civic as well for 5.5 lakhs.

Regards
Personally, I dont have anything against used cars. However lease vendors usually do not go for used cars, and mine has a strict policy that it has to be a new car. I could go for a used car myself, however I lose all the benefits provided by my company should I opt for a leased car.

Kinda a chicken and egg situation, but I'd have to go for the egg since I am a veggie.
Old 14th May 2013, 16:27   #13
BHPian

FYI Lathangi Ford have a TD car for the Fiesta Classic Petrol. Suggest you get in touch with them and take a test drive

I would agree with GTO - the Fiesta and Etios are way ahead of the Amaze Petrol as far as being a drivers car goes
Old 14th May 2013, 17:04   #14
BHPian

Fiesta 1.6 is the right choice. Bargain and you will get a discount considering that the petrol has a untrue reputation of being expensive to maintain etc (not true at all).

What you save after bargaining, drop in a air filter, and feel the power of a proper 1.6 engine (after advised running in). Accelerator/throttle input is very sharp in this engine, and the filter will also add to your economy.
Old 14th May 2013, 17:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Funny comparison you would think. On one hand we have the old but tried and tested Classic that is (what) some 5-6 years in the market? And on the other Hond(a) we have the brand new shining Amaze.
Out of the two choices the Ford should be the better choice despite its age. It looks more of a proper sedan, and the key advantage comes with the 1.6 Duratec engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp
If you are really keen on a Honda, probably its worth checking on the availability of a sparingly used Jazz.

Alternately, if you are not in a real hurry wait for the Ecosport launch and see if the pricing gets into the range you’re looking for.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks