Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 12:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze vs Maruti Ertiga

I have no idea about the amaze and the space inside but i have a fair idea about the ertiga and its positives and negatives , its capability as a family MUV on the highways.

1. 90 bhp is not enough for this car when you are lugging around 6 people on the highways. I would have prefered atleast a 110bhp engine.

2. the car is very stable at triple digit speeds.

3. I am 6foot 2 inches and my dad is the same height. he was pretty comfy in the back seat and i was more than comfy on the middle seat.

4. with 5 people on board, the luggage was placed in half of the last seat and a few bags were placed in the supposed boot space. No concers there

5. Bangalore to chennai was dismissed off in 5 hours flat including the breaks . Mileage for that was around the 15kmpl mark

6. The engine takes its own sweet time to open up. If you go in for the ertiga please do not baby it around during run in. Take it for a highway trip immediately and let it rip.

If you have anymore queries please PM me
Old 29th May 2013, 13:50   #17
BHPian

@rajshenoy I think you should try considering the new SX4 instead of Amaze or the Ertiga. The SX4 is a nice proven car as you know. Now with the recent facelift its got even more interesting. The interiors are a bit refreshed which now feel plush than before. Also the 1.3 litre MJD ("super turbo", as named by Maruti) is a gem of an engine. It performs effortlessly on the highways.
So, I think the new SX4 is a better car here.
Old 29th May 2013, 17:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the inputs

As expected, i am more confused. But here is what i can summarize
1. Ertiga is awesome on highways but sluggish in cities(Still nimble compared to Innova due to smaller size)
2. Amaze has flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat torque curve which i have seen so boon for city but it may not be exciting on the highways. and lower GC, Stiff handling as mentioned
3. Maintenance of both seem to be similar(Bit higher which sounds bad)
4. I will wait for EcoSport launch to consider as another option.
5. Duster, I like its exteriors and interiors are OK too but because of this interior it feels overpriced. I dont know when Nissan will launch its flavour.

I think i am willing to give a second though to Etios. Its a practical car. Nothing exciting about it but handling seem to be much better than Amaze and even space. I have nothing to write bad about it except for its interiors. So This deserves another look.

Overall, Amaze seems to be pretty new to be able to receive any feedback about it. Even EcoSport diesel is tried and tested on new Fiesta. Etios/Ertiga Engine is proven already(Etios must have run 3-4 lakhs by now).

So Amaze seems to be totally new experiment. All new car, all new engine. I guess since there is no cancellation charges, i will go ahead with booking. and keep searching for more news about this.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:16   #19
BHPian

IMHO, etios in the current version should help you. As per the ownership threads here and the word of mouth I hear in my work place, etios seems to be more practical in terms of space and drive. Atleast to me, the interior will start growing in your mind as you get used to it in couple of months/drive. So my suggestion will be etios GD+SP (airbags + ABS)
Old 30th May 2013, 18:45   #20
ZMG
BHPian

There have been quite a few posts here. I would like to add my 2 cents. Ertiga is definitely the car for you. It is not very wide, very practical for city runs. Has the additional space for luggage or passengers. If you look at countries like USA, people usually have a wagon. It really serves well for all purposes. Ertiga is not mighty as Innova, and easy to manoeuvre in all situations. The extra 2 lakhs you pay, will definitely be paid back in terms of convince and peace of mind of maruti. As far as the running costs and service costs are concerned, it won't be very high, and you can be sure about that. Honda is definitely reliable, but a sedan is a sedan, abd plus in case of amaze, it is a hatchback with a boot. It won't really be a status symbol if that's what your looking at.
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:47   #21
BHPian

Dear Raj

Looking at the requirements you have mentioned, most of what I would have liked to share has already been covered on this thread.

I have recently purchased an Amaze i-Dtec and my uncle owns an Ertiga VDi. Having driven both these machines, I would like to say that both are good machines in their own respects.

The place where Ertiga scores is its plush finish inside the cabin, somewhat higher seating position, a versatile seating arrangement and good ground clearance of 185 mm. Although the 3rd row of seats might not be comfortable for full grown adults at a long stretch, it is ideal for children. Thus your requirement to seat 4 adults + 2 children is met beautifully by Ertiga. Also, Maruti has provided 2nd row A/C which shall help in effective cooling inside the whole cabin. However with the 3rd row of seats being used, one must keep in mind that there shall not be much luggage space left.

Thus as rightly mentioned by fellow bhpians, the Ertiga provides with an additional flexibility of 3rd row seats, but then cutting down on the luggage space, over the Amaze. Also you would get ample ground clearance, which should make your drives to the native free of worries of the car scraping from bottom.

The Amaze on the other hand would give you an engine which is very lively in the city and on highways too. However, the Ertiga's 90 HP engine uses a Variable Geometry Turbo, which gives good power at the higher end, but there is a lot of turbo lag and the motor takes its own time to develop power initially. Thus it becomes a little tiring to drive in the city. However on the highways, both the Ertiga and the Amaze are equally good. If we look at the mileage, since I have driven both these cars with the same driving style, I have found that there is certainly a difference of around 3-4 kmpl between the Amaze and my uncle's Ertiga. The Amaze at its price point, does look a VFM proposition to me!!

As far as the 165 mm ground clearance of the Amaze goes, my car has not disappointed me up till now. I do agree that the pre-facelifted Honda cars did suffer from a low GC problem. I would suggest that you must try asking any Brio or new City or maybe an i20, Vista (they too have 165 mm GC) owner if their car has scraped over the roads on you wish to drive.

Having written all this, I am still not being able to decide whether I have tried to solve your confusion or added to it and whether I should just delete this post!! I guess, the idea of comparing a sedan with a UV, is bound to result in creating such a situation!!
sid_deb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 20:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Dear Raj

Looking at the requirements you have mentioned, most of what I would have liked to share has already been covered on this thread.

I have recently purchased an Amaze i-Dtec and my uncle owns an Ertiga VDi. Having driven both these machines, I would like to say that both are good machines in their own respects.

The place where Ertiga scores is its plush finish inside the cabin, somewhat higher seating position, a versatile seating arrangement and good ground clearance of 185 mm. Although the 3rd row of seats might not be comfortable for full grown adults at a long stretch, it is ideal for children. Thus your requirement to seat 4 adults + 2 children is met beautifully by Ertiga. Also, Maruti has provided 2nd row A/C which shall help in effective cooling inside the whole cabin. However with the 3rd row of seats being used, one must keep in mind that there shall not be much luggage space left.

Thus as rightly mentioned by fellow bhpians, the Ertiga provides with an additional flexibility of 3rd row seats, but then cutting down on the luggage space, over the Amaze. Also you would get ample ground clearance, which should make your drives to the native free of worries of the car scraping from bottom.

The Amaze on the other hand would give you an engine which is very lively in the city and on highways too. However, the Ertiga's 90 HP engine uses a Variable Geometry Turbo, which gives good power at the higher end, but there is a lot of turbo lag and the motor takes its own time to develop power initially. Thus it becomes a little tiring to drive in the city. However on the highways, both the Ertiga and the Amaze are equally good. If we look at the mileage, since I have driven both these cars with the same driving style, I have found that there is certainly a difference of around 3-4 kmpl between the Amaze and my uncle's Ertiga. The Amaze at its price point, does look a VFM proposition to me!!

As far as the 165 mm ground clearance of the Amaze goes, my car has not disappointed me up till now. I do agree that the pre-facelifted Honda cars did suffer from a low GC problem. I would suggest that you must try asking any Brio or new City or maybe an i20, Vista (they too have 165 mm GC) owner if their car has scraped over the roads on you wish to drive.

Having written all this, I am still not being able to decide whether I have tried to solve your confusion or added to it and whether I should just delete this post!! I guess, the idea of comparing a sedan with a UV, is bound to result in creating such a situation!!
That is totally unbiased feedback. Shows you are a true fan of automobiles.

I feel unknowingly i have selected these two cars from two different segment because my usage is equally divided among city and highway drives in the ghats. Amaze is good for city, Ertiga will be a good cruiser. But i appreciate smart space utilization which is evident in both Ertiga as well as Amaze(Jazz is another such car, but diesel is coming only next year)

But i am not sure if I will be doing so much of long distance drives couple of years down the line. If that reduces, then Amaze makes perfect sense for a city car and occasional highway car.

Currently i am pausing for the EcoSport to launch so that i can have a clear decision.
Old 1st July 2013, 10:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

More Confusion !!

Now that we know EcoSport is launched, I decided to take a look and Boy it looks aggressive in any angle i look at !!

Also the price of 9.6L for Mid Trend Variant(Diesel) looks nice too. Dealer has been saying 30-40 days waiting depending on the color choice. Which is reasonable i feel(not 6 months !!)

I also made a visit to Toyota to see Etios 2013 and its still a let down just like it was when it got launched. So much that my wife pretended to get a call and stay out of the show room instead of sitting inside it. Sigh!!. I go for practicality, but its tough to live with a car for 5-6 yrs which already looks older than my 6.5 yr swift.

No offense to Etios fans, but priced at 9.2Lakhs for the GDSP without the basic tachometer,I feel thta Toyota could have given much more than this for this price. Afterall there are many parts that make a car than the Engine and powertrain that you are legendary at !!

So out of the 4 cars that i had suggested, i totally drop Etios from the list.
Amaze also moves to the bottom of the list thanks to the attitude shown at dealership

So it is EcoSport vs Ertiga vs Amaze now.

1. EcoSport +ve Brand new, looks aggressive, good GC, diesel engine known to be efficient too.
-ve Its just a Hatch on steriords, Space can be compared to Swift/i20/Figo. Also the Trend variant does not get all the gadgets that Ford is showcasing. More of a plain vannila EcoSport in my budget

2. Ertiga - +ve: Dealers are now trying to offer more discounts to attract customers and a 1-2 week delivery. VDI now costs 30K more than Ecosport Trend diesel.
-ve, Family does not like the VAN feel of it.

3. Amaze - SMT diesel is cheapest among the 3 at 8.5L. Space is good and mileage is decent too. But GC is a question mark and also after reading more about it, it does not feel like a typical honda and might be bit delicate car.
Old 12th July 2013, 17:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

After going through a lot of threads(including this) and waiting for almost all the new launches, i finally decided to book Ertiga Vdi(Dusky brown). After all the comparisions, i feel Ertiga is the better choice for my needs. and the choice of Vdi is purely due to budget constraints.

My choice of color was not available at the dealer, so he has promised me to arrange one in 10 days time(He had a 2012 Nov make, but I obviously did not want it). But the fast selling colors are available off the shelf currently due to Automobile crisis in india.

I thank you all for the valuable inputs and I now realize how tough it is to wait(I feel like changing the color and driving home one tomorrow)

I had a budget of sub 10L and considered Honda Amaze , Toyota Etios , Ford EcoSport Trend, Duster RxE 85. I am not saying Ertiga is best among these, but its meeting my requirements better and more of my personal choice.
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 18:53   #25
BHPian

Congratulations to Raj on decision. .
I feel it's right too after reading the whole discussion.
I am in a similar dilemma with a small change in commuter size by 4+1 baby,
Considering Ertiga seriously; the versatility of Ertiga's back seat appeals to me. .
If we take the 2nd row all the way back to close 3rd row leg room, and stuff that place all around with soft pillows.. It can act as bed for the baby while she is asleep !
As I don't travel with much luggage, this shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing concerns is about city commuting on daily basis where I have to drive it to office in Crazy Hyderabad traffic... A Sedan with good Drivablity and large rear seats is another option.
Old 14th July 2013, 19:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
Congratulations to Raj on decision. .
I feel it's right too after reading the whole discussion.
I am in a similar dilemma with a small change in commuter size by 4+1 baby,
Considering Ertiga seriously; the versatility of Ertiga's back seat appeals to me. .
If we take the 2nd row all the way back to close 3rd row leg room, and stuff that place all around with soft pillows.. It can act as bed for the baby while she is asleep !
As I don't travel with much luggage, this shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing concerns is about city commuting on daily basis where I have to drive it to office in Crazy Hyderabad traffic... A Sedan with good Drivablity and large rear seats is another option.
Thanks. Just to give you a perspective on the size, width wise, this car is just like any other hatch. And the length is slightly more than that of hatches at 4265 but its still shorter than the likes of sunny,vento and such sedans
Old 15th July 2013, 10:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats RajS. Good choice with the Ertiga and also smart that it will go well with your entire family's comfort. Hope you get the vehicle soon and I'll be keeping an eye out for your booking and initial ownership thread.
Old 15th July 2013, 10:43   #28
BHPian

Duplication of post. .
See next

Last edited by drkritik : 15th July 2013 at 10:46.
Old 15th July 2013, 10:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Thanks. Just to give you a perspective on the size, width wise, this car is just like any other hatch. And the length is slightly more than that of hatches at 4265 but its still shorter than the likes of sunny,vento and such sedans
Yes I understand completely. .
Vento :NVH levels and costs put me off
Sunny: Not happy with the gearbox
I can slightly go above 10L ...

Did you consider SX4, Verna and new Fiesta? How do they fare with back seat comfort ? Couldn't come to conclusion on the basis of official reviews. .
Old 20th July 2013, 12:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post

Yes I understand completely. .
Vento :NVH levels and costs put me off
Sunny: Not happy with the gearbox
I can slightly go above 10L ...

Did you consider SX4, Verna and new Fiesta? How do they fare with back seat comfort ? Couldn't come to conclusion on the basis of official reviews. .
SX4 i feel is overpriced. I still like its exterior design but interior is dated. I find back seat to be as spacious is ertiga,may be bit more. But this car will be soon replaced next year and it is not selling anyway. So better stay far

Same with new fiesta. Ford might bring new version next year at an aggressive price after seeing the reaction for ecosport. But it has amazing ride and handling and is a pure drivers car. Since you are looking for back seat, i think its bit cramped

Verna sells well, has so many features but i feel its priced higher. It seems to be good in city and on highways the back seat experience is not great. I never drove this car and also have heard their service is not cheap

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks