Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2006, 00:04   #1

Nhc Cvt

Hi every one
Please help I want to buy Honda City but i am not able to decide which model should i go for..

Actually i want to go for CVT but the dealer had told me it is not made for indian roads and also it give less fuel efficiency (12kmpl)

after that i have to decide form GXi and Vtech apart from interiors dealer had told me about that they both have almost same engine but the intake had been increasVtech Vtech to give more power and less fuel efficiency (12kmpl) and for GXI he told me it give 14-15Kmpl....

Please help..
i want top prefrence to CVT
after that i have to decide from Vtech and GXI..
Of thier interiors i know well... just tell me about other things

Last edited by havefun_11 : 29th May 2006 at 00:19.
Old 29th May 2006, 00:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

if performance is what you are looking for go in for the vtec as both the cars a have similar fuel efficiency,never believe in what a salesman says-the salesman at southcity ford delhi told me that fiesta diesel will return a 24kmpl figure in normal driving conditions in delhi traffic.
Old 29th May 2006, 00:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
go in for the vtec as both the cars a have similar fuel efficiency,never believe in what a salesman says
which both car are you taking about Vtech and cvt or vtech and GXI
Old 29th May 2006, 04:47   #4
BHPian

The CVT and the manual, both share the same engine. The Vtec has as the name says a vtec engine top portion(lets just keep it simple and say that it gives more power).

There's no reason to believe that the CVT is not suitable for india. Its a fine car in its own right. yes the efficiency wud be around 1.5kmpl less than a manual. But i would gladly pay that for the sheer convenience it has.

The Gxi manual is obviously the fuel miser. Will give good economy. But it does depend to quite an extent on how u drive it. I have friends getting 11-16 km in the city cycle cos of different driving styles(this applies to vtec and the CVT too).

The Vtec is a faster car definitely.. But it is sadly a tad overpriced. And the NHC isn't a car that is very happy being pushed around. Its a commuter.. not a sports car like the OHC.

Tell u what, test drive all three on the same day if possible, dont listen to the dealer much.. cos most of them push certain models for their own little reasons.. and all three are fine cars indeed.

And in the end simply buy whichever u like. U wont be wrong choosing any one of them

Cheers.
Happy buying
Old 29th May 2006, 08:46   #5
BHPian

hey havefun - the CVT is a very practical and comfortable car to drive around in crowded indian traffic conditions.

the only reasons why indians think that automatics are not suited for them are because these transmissions are costly to maintain, and give a lower mileage - also give lesser performance.

though the CVT by honda is one of the best automatics in india - true, it gives lesser FE than manual, but even 12 kmpl is very good for a sedan. and it gives decent performance for city traffic conditions, plus you always have a sports mode to pump things up a bit. add to that honda's penchant for quality should add to lesser maintenance costs as well.

you can pm navin - i think he has lot of experience with the CVT.
Old 29th May 2006, 09:47   #6

ok i am now more clear that i can go for CVT...
but one last thing can you tell me the fuel efficiency of both GXI and Vtech also
Old 29th May 2006, 10:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by havefun_11
ok i am now more clear that i can go for CVT...
but one last thing can you tell me the fuel efficiency of both GXI and Vtech also
as per www.carwale.com they claim the city mileage as follows....

gxi - 11.7 kmpl
vtec - 11.0 kmpl
cvt - 9.3 kmpl

http://www.carwale.com/New/CarCompar...2=528&car3=525
Old 29th May 2006, 12:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

My niece and nephew both have CVTs. My mom was looking at one but felt it was underpowered so she is still looking!

My wife tries to steal my nephew's CVT every chance she gets; it is so easy to manage in traffic but under certain conditions (uphill, 4 passengers with AC) it's limited power can be a strain.

That said the VTEC NHC is much more fun to drive. This side of the Octy RS and till the Fabia RS arrives in India (which is many many moons away) it might be the most fun car in India.

So what are you looking for in city driving pleasure (CVT) or a pcket rocket (Vtec)? If you are looking for both stand in line (behind my mom). :-)
Old 29th May 2006, 18:47   #9

Hi Have_fun,
I have just recently bought the CVT. In terms of driving pleasure in the city it is great and I drove it on Mysore highway ----- the pick-up and acceleration also I found very good. The only con was the lack of cruise control ----- after some long stretch, my right leg started aching a bit.
Regarding power, I did not find anything lacking ----- of course I am not that great a car enthusiast, but I can definitely vouch that it has sufficient power for 90% of the time you would be using it.
One thing I am not very happy is the suspension ----- even for small potholes also, the ride is a bit bump even though I am travelling at around 40kmph.
I did not check the other auto matic alternative which is the Mitsubishi Lancer. May be you can try that out if you are considering non-Honda too. For me, my requirement was automatic and I felt more assured going with Honda.

Anirban
Old 29th May 2006, 23:59   #10
BHPian

just go for cvt. it is a fantastic car. my bro-in-law gets a mileage of >13 in city. i have driven it several times. it is very responsive and fun to drive too (contrary to my expectations that autos are boring)

M
Old 31st May 2006, 09:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

I also feel the CVT could do with better suspension. BTW does the VTEC have a nicer suspension package? Our VTec feels better than the CVT but it could just be that the CVTs are older.
Old 31st May 2006, 10:08   #12
Team-BHP Support

Have you ever thought why the dealer told you so ?

1: He wants to make his numbers
2: CVT delivery is erratic

You seem very keen on the CVT - go for it
Old 31st May 2006, 10:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what are the different models available in the NHC ? The way I understood it, there are 3 models of NHC (2 manual + 1 AT) and 2 models of the NHC ZX (one of them being a VTEC version). Is the bhp same for all models except the Vtec which is powered higher ? An approx listing of prices for all models would also be welcome - just to get an idea of how the various models are priced.

My DAD is looking at a sedan (mostly small town usage with an occasional highway trip thrown in) and the NHC is one of the main options being looked at. I would prefer the AT version (easy to use for him) and the drop in FE would be OK with me. But am worried about reports that AutoTransmission is heavy on maintenance. Experts using AT vehicles, please enlighten on the maintenance front. Thanks.
Old 31st May 2006, 10:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
But am worried about reports that AutoTransmission is heavy on maintenance. Experts using AT vehicles, please enlighten on the maintenance front. Thanks.
Total misconception - they are quite reliable as long as services properly - fluids changed regualarly etc. As there are no shocks due to imcompetent clutch changes etc, they can last a long time
Old 31st May 2006, 11:30   #15

supremebaleno as posted by venkatrx you can find all the details about this car at the following link...
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks