Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 22:53   #16
BHPian

Re: What will you do with a 9 year old Opel Corsa

Sorry I am unable to read this thread any more as people have started advising on dismantling the car and selling it piece by piece.
My heart is too soft to see such things happen to a car that is still in working condition.
The car is very far away for me to even see it unfortunately.

The rest can now be decided by the current owner. I still hate the idea of tearing up the car for some cash.
Old 13th June 2013, 23:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
My heart is too soft to see such things happen to a car that is still in working condition.

The rest can now be decided by the current owner. I still hate the idea of tearing up the car for some cash.
If one is very much attached to the car, he/she could always keep it in prime and pristine condition. They could get the car overhauled and back to top shape and could use it too. We see many people here buying discontinued cars, and bring it to an excellent form and use it as any other car. Thats because they have a passion towards a specific car or as a collection. That requires dedication and also proper resources to get good results.

This is a different case. If I were having a corsa and wanted to dispose it, I would have waited for a buyer that would have shown equal love to the car as I would. But one cant expect everyone to be in the same state. Hence, when a car is being disposed, how does it matter as to what is done and where it goes? For me, just selling a car is as bad as seeing it being stripped, as once the car exits your hands, you have no control over what happens next. Hence, it would be as disheartening while selling the car, as when handing it over to any car breaker. One does not have to do the dismantling himself.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 04:33   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

You could always wrap it, put it on blocks and keep it garaged as a classic, so that someday, someone can find it as a 'barn find'...the other option is of course that it one day performs the role played by the old Grand dad's VW golf, in that VW ad which spans two or three generations...my friend has a 19 year old first gen Maruti 800 which is refusing to part with and which just lies there in his garage, hardly used. He does not even live here in India any more. I think that old car will become a classic soon enough and someone is his family will get to enjoy it...

Else just drive it daily till it 'dies in harness' so to say...

Sorry to be morbid but being overly sentimental about these things does not really work...
Old 14th June 2013, 09:25   #19
BHPian

I would advise you to sell off the car if there is no emotional value attached to it. I myself never needed a second car as i stay alone and my family is in different place altogether but just because i am passionate about cars i got three and trust me maintenance is a big pain for a car of this age. And don't forget the hassle of parking and insurance. To give a hint one of my friends sold his Opel Astra 1.6 for 40 K. The car was not in very good condition.
Old 14th June 2013, 10:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for all your replies.
I think, as almost everyone pointed, the best decision would be to sell the car. Have put in inquiries with a few local dealers.

I love machines. If I had spare parking or free space, probably I would have not sold the car, even if it had just stood there.

@Mods: The thread maybe closed. Thanks.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:17   #21
BHPian

rrsteer,

Before the thread gets closed, i want to give you some hope. A year ago, I listed my friend's well maintained corsa. He has had offers as good as 1.1L for a 2005 model. Once she is gone, your next buy will take care of the emotions attached with it. SELL IT !

Last edited by blackbeast : 14th June 2013 at 14:18. Reason: typo
Old 14th June 2013, 15:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

To add to what blackbeast mentioned, do scour the market well ie. don't sell for less than what it is worth, as in a distress sale. Esp. because you don't have a time-constraint.

And if someone in the family is looking to buy a new car, this could be exchanged - depending on the car being bought, could fetch a good price. Dealer has offered 65K for our 1999 M800-DX in exchange for A-Star. Against other cars, they offer only 50K. If an M800 is worth this money, surely you can get a decent deal with a proper sedan which is many segments above.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th June 2013 at 15:56.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 16:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sell it off.

One of my colleagues sold his old Santro recently, by putting an advt in (http://www.quikr.com/) and one more website which i do not recall now. I remember mentioning him that he reprieved about 70+ calls.

He intended to sell it for 2.1 and could have ended up selling it at 2.3 looking at the demand, but he did not knew this and had committed to the guy who offered 2.1.
Old 14th June 2013, 16:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Sell it off.

One of my colleagues sold his old Santro recently, by putting an advt in (http://www.quikr.com/) and one more website which i do not recall now. I remember mentioning him that he reprieved about 70+ calls.

He intended to sell it for 2.1 and could have ended up selling it at 2.3 looking at the demand, but he did not knew this and had committed to the guy who offered 2.1.
The problem in my case is that I am based in Jalandhar. Also the car has a PB number. Folks here and probably any place outside the metropolitan cities haven't really warmed up to online shopping yet. I say this because last year when I was trying to sell my Tata Safari, I barely received any worthwhile response from the various sites I had put up the ad. But as supremeBaleno pointed out that I have time on my side, so i will try out as many options and be patient as I go about finding a right price for it.

The car is still in Gurgaon. I was circumspect of driving the car from Gurgaon to Jalandhar. I was proved right because it broke down when it was taken out for a spin yesterday. Luckily my brother's company will be shipping the car free of cost. Now kind of waiting to lay my hands on the black beauty.
Old 16th June 2013, 01:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The problem in my case is that I am based in Jalandhar. Also the car has a PB number
You can leave the car at Chandigarh with friends/relatives and use internet to advertise. If i were you, i would use the car and enter the exchange schemes on the new car. Manufacturers with cars which sell less numbers would not turn their back on you. Ex - Fiat Punto/Linea. They were running a campaign few months ago for a juicy trade off. what you lose on the resale can be capitalized with discounts on the new car.
Old 17th June 2013, 10:41   #26
BHPian

Hi rrsteer,

I too own a 2003 opel corsa 1.6 sedan, the current market price for this model in bombay is anywhere between 45-65 K depending on your bargaining skill, most common reason for low resale is that the car is not in production / very old / no takers etc,,, however the same when broken down and sold in parts can fetch you slightly more value since the parts are expensive, I purchased an electical socket for the ignition key of my opel from CST road (Kurla) cost me Rs.600,,,,, way too expensive,, the entire wiring harness (orginal) goes for approx 4000k . also the sheet metal of opel cars is very heavy compared to today's cars (personally saved me from a near death accident) due to this, had it been a maruti the car would have to be scrapped.

so think about getting in broken down and sold off as a realistic option.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:39   #27
BHPian

Hi, Just as an option, you can also donate your car.

Came across this:
"The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is a proud member of One Car One Difference™, a national public awareness program about the benefits of vehicle donation to communities and the environment. Created by Insurance Auto Auctions` Donation Division, the program supports more than 100 participating charities nationwide."

Here is the link

http://www.99localsearch.com/AdDetails.aspx?id=8777

If you do, thats one noble choice and i think you will be the first amongst us to do this.
Old 17th June 2013, 21:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Part it out and sell the parts off.
Cars like the mondeo, vectra, corsa are worth twice or thrice in parts than as a full car.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:59   #29
BHPian

I recently put in a little money on my mom's 2004 Corsa Sail 1.6. New leather hand-stitched seats, fresher interiors, some 3M treatment and shes as good as new. The 1.6 though not a hot hatch still has a lot of grunt. Economy of around 11 kmpl is ok with me and in Bangalore traffic shes really easy to run and park. Guess I would keep her with me for another 2-3 years post which would have to put up a similar thread.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The problem in my case is that I am based in Jalandhar. Also the car has a PB number. Folks here and probably any place outside the metropolitan cities haven't really warmed up to online shopping yet.
Being a Jalandhar resident mysely, I can well understand your point of being unable to get decent queries in and around Jal but i would suggest you to post the ad on chandigarh olx & quikr . I believe there may be some takers for her in chandigarh and whats scrap for you may be someones desire.

Also on the contrary it may prove fruitful to spend a little on her maintenance, esp. the engine from a local mechanic, the ones around old courts -BMC Chowk and keep her for daily chores where i would worry to take my bigger/more pristine vehicle and wont sell it off because many a times after we have sold a vehicle we realize how useful it may have been.

Whatever you go for , best of luck mate.

Most Viewed