Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2006, 18:30   #1

Garage Space for Fiesta

Hi,
This is my first post to team-bhp. I have been reading the threads for quite some time now, but subscribed pretty recently.

After going through quite a number of threads/discussions, I decided to go for Ford Fiesta base model as my first car, keeping in mind the budget + FE + driver's comfort.

But I have a pretty silly question. My garage is 17 ft X 8 ft X 5.2 ft
The Fiesta width is 5.5 ft. That gives me approx 2.5 ft clearance.

Would I have enough space to get out of my car?

Also, is there anybody in this forum from KOlkata, who is possessing Ford? What about the Service? I guess there is only one Ford dealer in Kolkata (Ganges Ford). Any idea about the after-sales-service of Ford in Kolkata?

Thanks
Subhamoy
Old 29th May 2006, 22:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Csubhamoy,

Welcome.
Quote:
17 ft X 8 ft X 5.2 ft
Is that a typo? or is your garage only 5.2' high??

Obviously your car will fit, the Q is whether it will fit comfortably enough for you to get in and out.
That depends on
- How good your parking skills are
- How "well built" you are

The best way to find out is to call your dealer and tell him you are ready to buy the fiesta, provided it fits in your garage. Tell them to send a test drive car and check it out yourself. That will end all this speculation.

IMO, if you can park <6" from the wall on the passengers side, that gives you 24"+ on the drivers side to get out. Not too unpleasant for an average sized person.

Keep in mind that if your car plans to get washed in the garage, one side will stay rather unwashed

cya
R
Old 29th May 2006, 22:11   #3
BHPian

my parking space is only 7ft. between a pillar and wall i have to park. Am getitng out of the car everyday and getting in!!!

Though it is sick. I didnt have much option. That is to change house for the car.

May be sometime in the future soon a house with lot of parking space!
Old 29th May 2006, 22:12   #4
BHPian

one small suggestion:

get 1/2 inches thick "non-inflammable" rubber sheets pasted on all sides of your garage walls upto a height of about 4 feets.
this will protect your car in case of minor scraping done while parking in such tight conditions!

i did that for my padmini car way back in 1990!
even at that time, i got floral-print's sheest!
so i guess, these days, there must be some really cool looking sheets will be available!

just a small suggestion though!
Old 30th May 2006, 00:08   #5

Reehan,
Yeah, that was a typo. Its 6'2". Sorry

Revharder,
Your suggestion really sounds good.
Any cryptex where to look for those sheets?

Thanks for all of your replies. Seems the best idea is to actually see the car go in and find out the clearance. Will check out with the dealer soon.

Also, any feedback about Kolkata Ford Dealer (Ganges)? Any bhp-ian possessing Ford in Kolkata?

Thanks.
subhamoy
Old 30th May 2006, 00:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

One of my relatives drives an Ikon ... no major complaints about Ganges Ford service .. except that it's pretty far off from Salt Lake . It was one of the -ve ticks for Ford whenever I sat down to evaluate cars. Giving the car for servicing would always be a pain for people staying in the northern part of the city. A colleague who bought an Ikon a year back always says ... don't buy an Ikon .. it's a tad expensive to maintain .. might have been a problem he faced with the car and not necessarily the workshop.

Being a SW pro, I would think that you would have quite a few colleagues who own Fords ...

btw, how much is the Fiesta 1.4 on road ?

Last edited by shuvc : 30th May 2006 at 00:34.
Old 30th May 2006, 16:23   #7

Fiesta 1.4 onroad comes to 6.15 L (Kolkata).
No discount/packages as of now.

October (Puja season) may bring some good news??
Old 30th May 2006, 17:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

You want to wait that long for the car ?
Granted that you might save few thousands then, but what about the ownership experience that you'll miss out on, for the next few months ??

Most Viewed