Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2006, 15:38   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Heard teh TDCi is smooth and silent. But dude, would you buy a 68bhp car when you have a 90bhp car? Both diesels?

yup; Aveo it should be.
i think you have not grasped the idea behind my quoting the signature "ITS NOT WHAT YOU DRIVE THAT MATTERS BUT THE WAY YOU DRIVE IT".......i'll give an example.....in the recent trivandrum meet, you drove a 86 M800 at 145km/hr to kovalam.......and the output is a mere 37bhp!!!.........and you say that karthik's long trips are not many......hence the ideal one should be a diesel with huge amount of bottom torque for the city driving and for the occassional long trip.......accent, accent viva, elantra crdis & fiesta tdci fits the role perfectly......you can drive around in 3rd or 4th gear in the city and there is no need for downshifting for the purpose of overtaking.......infact when i came back from trissur, the traffic was crawling due to the huge number of container trailers going to Cochin International Airport from Salem.....i would hang on to the back of a trailer in the 3rd gear and whenever there is a gap of 100-200 meters, i would just put the pedal to the metal, overtakes and comes behind another trailer and the whole thing is repeated.....i'll tell you one thing, if its possible can you test drive an accent crdi or a fiesta tdci......i think you've not driven them yet.....try to do it and tell me your opinion....if you've already driven accent crdi, the fiesta is almost the same except that there is no sound at all and lacks top end grunt......but that means, at speeds about 150km/hr.....then only your claim is debatable.....i would have loved to give my car to you just for proving it, but then you dont know my father!!!.....he will kill me!......

@ karthik, i ask you only one thing.......take a test drive of accent crdi, accent viva crdi (its the same), elantra crdi & fiesta tdci......even after that you're hooked to aveo, i'll say nothing more.........you've to think practically also.......not just performance wise.........and no doubt aveo will be costlier to maintain than accent or elantra or fiesta.......

i have one doubt...u said there was an "Engine Service Soon Indicator"......opel vectra has a similar system and what one service engineer told me, gave me a shock......the engine ecu gives a warning some 500kms(dont know the exact value) before hand, when the next service is due......and when the period is over, the car just stops....thats it.....be it the middle of the road or in the middle of the night!!! and then the service guy will have to come equipped with a hand held computer which is connected to the ecu and then re-start the engine.......just imagine that you are going to mumbai from trivandrum???
i think you'll have to check that out before deciding on the aveo
Old 6th June 2006, 16:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

He hates Ford; Also service of Ford is crappy at ktm, thiruvalla and at cochin ( info frm various guys) And so with teh parts.

He didnt like teh Hyundai cars. Period.

He would be test driving the Aveo 1.6 by eve today. Will wait till then.

A tbhpian named Haris ( forgot hsi tbhp id) went on to buy a Accent crdi coz his wife felt accent powerful than a TDCi )

Yes, it dont matter what you drive but the way one drives. I am a very happy man who drives a puny 63bhp (67bhp on rc book though!),but never felt my car underpowered as I knw how to use the 63bhp well to sadden any driver who drivers a more powerful car. Thank lord taht my dad and mum are nice company when it comes to highway chase.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01
@ karthik, i ask you only one thing.......take a test drive of accent crdi, accent viva crdi (its the same), elantra crdi & fiesta tdci......even after that you're hooked to aveo, i'll say nothing more.........you've to think practically also.......not just performance wise.........and no doubt aveo will be costlier to maintain than accent or elantra or fiesta.......
Arif

This is what I've been trying to tell this boy too.

However, he has a mind of his own and unfortunately other than the budget itself he is the decision maker as to which car to buy.

Its usually once burnt twice shy, but in this case it will probably be twice burnt but never shy.

I still think he should go for the Elantra GTD - as I explained to him the 'budget' is for the purchase of the car and he can always wangle further budget allocations for small upgrades to interiors and stuff.

At the end of the day, I guess he WANTS the Aveo. He's 15, and is more concerned about looks and flash than anything else. A 'new' model will therefore be more attractive, especially when it comes in some zany colours.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:14   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

He's 15

wat? karthik is just 15?
and he drives cars?
wat abt license?
Old 6th June 2006, 16:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster

wat? karthik is just 15?
and he drives cars?
wat abt license?
He has a Chauffer cum Personal Assistant.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:30   #66
BANNED

Karthik, since you really want an Aveo, go ahead and buy it. Along with the 2 year warranty, get the extended warranty for 2 more years (2+2=4). I'm guessing that should be enough to cover all unforseen expenses until you sell the car.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Arif
A 'new' model will therefore be more attractive, especially when it comes in some zany colours.
oh forgot He is looking at getting the red or the orange Aveo.

The Elantra GTD didnt have any accessories and hence was dumped.
Old 6th June 2006, 18:19   #68
Senior - BHPian

I don't have anyting against Hyundai, and i'd be glad to buy a Elantra. But the thing is that for 9lakhs its totally stripped of all its features. Also testdrove the Accent Viva 1.6 y'day, everything except the interiors were good. Interiors are a total turn off. Very plain and boring.

NHC..umm, if i ever want one it'll have to be the VTEC. I'll leave this as a last resort

And since most of u guys say Fiesta, i'll definately check it out. But no diesel, i can't live with just 68bhp. I'll only want the 1.6

And need i say more abt Aveo!??
See with two year service n warranty, would it really be expensive to maintain?

And no SUV, MUV.

@Steeroid...
No dude, 9lakhs have to cover what ever i want including the car. So that way, u know which one will fit perfectly with still atleast 1.5 lakhs to spare.

Last edited by karthik247 : 6th June 2006 at 18:23.
Old 6th June 2006, 20:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
I don't have anyting against Hyundai, and i'd be glad to buy a Elantra. But the thing is that for 9lakhs its totally stripped of all its features. Also testdrove the Accent Viva 1.6 y'day, everything except the interiors were good. Interiors are a total turn off. Very plain and boring.

NHC..umm, if i ever want one it'll have to be the VTEC. I'll leave this as a last resort

And since most of u guys say Fiesta, i'll definately check it out. But no diesel, i can't live with just 68bhp. I'll only want the 1.6

And need i say more abt Aveo!??
See with two year service n warranty, would it really be expensive to maintain?

And no SUV, MUV.

@Steeroid...
No dude, 9lakhs have to cover what ever i want including the car. So that way, u know which one will fit perfectly with still atleast 1.5 lakhs to spare.
Ok sticking to your requirement for power and FE considering it is above 10.

How about

fiat petra 1.6 ELXPS(I guess it comes with alloy wheels and spoiler and all) and ABS with EBD and Driver side Airbags is still an available option.

here is a pic with spoiler and Alloys installed.

http://www.fiat-india.com/pages/buyF...out/intro.html

Or
a 1.6 Palio advnenture sports ?

its atleast as powerful if note more than both Fiesta and Aveo IMHO and cheaper too. Adventure has that attitude you can only ask fore in some more expensive cars. This one can easily do 170+ with much more stability than let's say a baleno,Lancer,City or accent and is safe and pretty good in the ride and handling department.Interiors are not the best but you can certainly jazz up with the remaining amount. Only resale will be poor but then it is the best VFM car.

DOnt worry about Spares and service or Fuel economy. All the petra owners here have stories with happy endings to tell.

Look at Fiesta sxi with ABS if you are looking at one compared to Aveo 1.6LT with ABS and Airbags

Last edited by devarshi84 : 6th June 2006 at 20:13.
Old 6th June 2006, 21:07   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
So, getting a new car now...this time from 'Hyundai' (most probably)
Have my mind set on the Elantra or the Accent Viva. Like both of them and will definately get Petes as soon as i get either . Or u think i should get a petrol?

Can someone help me up the other 'good' options i have in that price range. Mom still has her mind on the Baleno, which i wouldn't want her to get..Also like the Chevy Aveo but guess it'll b expensive to maintain.

Major things under consideration...
1. Price
2. Power...max
3. A.S.S including spares cost

Honda City and Ford Fiesta totally outta consideration. Both are sluggish and so..ANd no hatchbacks please..
What about the City VTec? Its got 100 bhp, though power is not as hooliganish as the old Vtec... And decent mileage too...

Elantra is not that good on performance, and looks YUCK!... Fiesta 1.6 is good... But there's nothing special about the aveo 1.6 except the looks..

If you are going for a deisel, then viva CRDi would be good...
If petrol, i'd go in for the City VTec...
Old 6th June 2006, 21:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Okey testdrove it just now..
Engine...
Its pretty good. Not all that rev happy but can still pull decently in most gears. Initial and midrange is good too. Gearbox is more than a bit notchy, but the car i drove had done just about 1000kms and he told me he can get his other testdrive Aveo which has completed its first service...and said the gearbox is much smoother.

Comfort..
Rear seat is very comfy. Much better angeled than the Skoda's and i feel its also more comfy. Quality of the materials used is also good. Fell good to touch.

Looks..
Need i say more

Overall..
Very good indeed. Loved everything except the gearbox which is a bit notchy. And the boot is rather small compared to the Octy's so i doubt if both my basstubes will fit with some space left for other things.
Old 6th June 2006, 21:31   #72
BANNED

Hey how come you're driving?
Old 6th June 2006, 21:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Forgive my laziness for not going through each and every post... but one question I have for you kartik is why are you not considering Optra? Why go for a car with Optra engine when you can get the real thing...
Also, beware that the gearbox will continue to give you problems in future, its one feedback that everyone who owns and has driven Aveo gives, so dont make an uninformed decision, and regret later after first service that the problem has not gone away.
BTW.... from Skoda to Aveo... thats quite a jump, consider a slightly bigger in between car. Thats my 2 cents worth, but I think you are just going after bling bling.
Its actually funny, you sold your Octi due to high maintainence as I understand, than why would u wanna buy a GM car, as GM themselves are known for high maintainence.... ask any Astra owner.
Old 6th June 2006, 22:40   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
What about the City VTec? Its got 100 bhp, though power is not as hooliganish as the old Vtec... And decent mileage too...

Elantra is not that good on performance, and looks YUCK!... Fiesta 1.6 is good... But there's nothing special about the aveo 1.6 except the looks..

If you are going for a deisel, then viva CRDi would be good...
If petrol, i'd go in for the City VTec...
@ crazy; he hates its looks and a VTEC will cost around 8.6OTR and his family already has a city

and you like viva crdi's looks or performace? Elantra has one of teh best engine around. Ever seen a Tuscon? It sports teh same engine and it still pulls and delivers. And if you dont like the original grill of the Elantra, thers a after market grill which has horizonal thingy.

@ aseem; Thats true, and hence GM dropped the GM title for Indian market. And Optra would cost lost more right? The fully loaded one I mean. His budget is 9lac OTR with all bells and whistles ( Good audio ie,amp, speakers; tehn nice alloys and wider tyres, leather seats etc)

and we all drove a Optra 1.6 @ Cochin Teambhp meet. It felt like a diesel engine :(. The sales guy said ' Sir, if you want performance this is notthe machine and please drive it keeping taht in mind '

we had a cedia at the same time for teh test drive section and he was afraid I guess )
Old 6th June 2006, 22:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Optra is more like a 'big car' which we don't want. Hafta consider A.S.S and costs of spare parts as well. But Elantra is OK as its a Hyundai meaning it'll be cheap.
Firstly you are considering a Aveo and a Optra same company so the spares will be similar butttttttt i dont understand why people think Optra spares are so expensive, its the cheapest oit of Corolla/Octavia as well as Elantra. Just check out the spare brochures or all the cars.

Quote:
Its actually funny, you sold your Octi due to high maintainence as I understand, than why would u wanna buy a GM car, as GM themselves are known for high maintainence.... ask any Astra owner.
@Aseem/Jkdas Ignorance is bliss. Please know the market before you coment on anything with anything. Astra was a car made by Opel who didnot have faith in the Indian Manufacturing arm to maintain quality and hence all the parts where imported, where as the Optra/Aveo are korean cars being sold under GMDAT(General Motors Daewoo Auto Technologies) and there is no reason what so ever to compare the spares and maintaince cost of both. The 800 is so flimsy a car doesnot deem a Swift to be the same. So you just cant compare spares with a closed eye. Please.

Optra maynot be a performance car. People want to barrel along in fast cars, i dont want to barrel i want to waft..... and Optra is apt for that.

No offense to any one.

Last edited by BUSA : 6th June 2006 at 22:47.

Most Viewed