Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2006, 10:51   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
BTW, how do the interiors of the Petra compare with the competition (especially with the ones you had shortlisted) ?
Sorry to disappoint to you. But I was considering Baleno Lxi and Petra ELX. Petra has much better interiors. ELX gives more features that are only present in Baleno VXi (like alloy wheels). The main let down for me are AC and temp. controls. Even ALTO has better ones.I guess VXI had better AC controls though out of my budget. But I liked the Baleno for its response. It is really very good even though it produces 91 BHP only. But Petra is not very responsive in the 1st and 2nd gear. I drove my friend's VIVA yesterday and it sure rocks. I attributed it to Petra being more heavier than Viva.

The safety is important for me and the cars in the C segment cost most than 8 lakhs with ABS and Airbags.The deciding factor in the absence of ABS and Airbags (not enough budget ) was the build quality and Petra scores well here.

Now baleno scores in discount as well. Dealer was ready to give me 70k cash discount (with finance from dealer). Fiat is a big let down in this case as they are offering me only 22k.

Another negative things about FIAT is that they offer warranty for only 1 yr and no extended. Strange. But they can never beat the service of Maruti.
Talked to some guys who own fiat in hyderabad and they were happy with the service. With TATA coming in, things should be improving.

Final Prices -
Baleno Vxi - 5.8L (after 70K discount)
Petra ELX - 5.9L (after 22K discount)

And I love Fiat cars and so it was not all that difficult in the end.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy

That is a nice choice u made there

Do post pics doon

Cheers

Himanshu
Old 20th June 2006, 11:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer
Another negative things about FIAT is that they offer warranty for only 1 yr and no extended. Strange. But they can never beat the service of Maruti.
Are you sure about that? I have 3 years (1+2) extended warrantee on my Petra. So make sure that it is indeed not available. Check with Fiat folks.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:11   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Are you sure about that? I have 3 years (1+2) extended warrantee on my Petra. So make sure that it is indeed not available. Check with Fiat folks.
That's strange. I spoke to the dealer and he was pretty sure that there is no extended warranty. He told me that FIAT is in the process of finalizing it and if it comes through in next 6 months, I am eligible. I need to check out on this one as i sure want to go for extended warranty. When did you purchase you car?
Old 20th June 2006, 11:27   #65
BHPian

Great choice....The 1.6L engine rocks...
Just make sure you do a good pre-delivery inspection yourself... there are lots of complaints relating to electicals...of which even I have been a victim to....nothing serious...just some niggling lissues like an indicator not working or high beam., roof lamp..etc..
Old 20th June 2006, 11:45   #66
BHPian

Quote:
That's strange. I spoke to the dealer and he was pretty sure that there is no extended warranty. He told me that FIAT is in the process of finalizing it and if it comes through in next 6 months, I am eligible. I need to check out on this one as i sure want to go for extended warranty. When did you purchase you car?
Update. Just spoke to the dealer again. He confirmed that Extended warranty has been withdrawan. It was offered earlier. Fiat has still not made up its mind as when it will be offered again. Don't you think it is risky to not have extended warranty?
Old 20th June 2006, 11:46   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
Great choice....The 1.6L engine rocks...
Just make sure you do a good pre-delivery inspection yourself... there are lots of complaints relating to electicals...of which even I have been a victim to....nothing serious...just some niggling lissues like an indicator not working or high beam., roof lamp..etc..
How do you verify that car is indeed manufactured in 2006?
Old 20th June 2006, 13:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you verify that car is indeed manufactured in 2006?
There is usually an Aluminium badge between the two doors on the driving side. Otherwise in the bonnet bay. Ask your dealer to show it to you.
Old 20th June 2006, 14:39   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi
Hey, I am one also in the process of buying a car shortly, and have the petra shortlisted along with baleno n fiesta.

Did you test drive these or other cars which making your decisions? how would you compare petra with these or other cars in the same segment? Also did you check out the new adventure? Any inputs on that?
I did try Fiesta and Aveo as well. But I did not want to spend more than 6L. Fiesta is more fun to drive and Aveo gives you more comfort. But both were out of my budget.

I had to decide between Baleno and Petra. I have mentioned about this in my previous post. If you need any more information, I will be glad to help .
Old 20th June 2006, 14:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

I haven't come across any major replacements(in fact none) during warrantee period. But it is more for peace of mind. I don't know how many of other Petra owners have opted for/got extended warrantee.

Last edited by RX135 : 20th June 2006 at 14:56.
Old 20th June 2006, 15:33   #71
BHPian

Windsurfer, there have been a few advertisements in The Deccan Chronicle about company offered discounts on Fiat cars.

I believe there was one yesterday as well, 34k off the Palio 1.6 & 38k off the Adventure. I do recall seeing something about the Petra as well in the last few days but I dont believe this was about discounts.

Fiat dealers IMO have always been pretty uptight about offering discounts, except for the time in the last couple years that the company's sales performance dipped to an abysmal low. I'd check out the offerings at various dealers and negotiate harder for a better deal - given the discounts available on the Palio/Adventure.

I did opt for the extended warranty on my GTX but never did need it. Pity it isn't offered any more.
Old 21st June 2006, 10:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi
Would you send me a link to your previous post? I'll be absolutely delighted to read your views on that...
@adi, I think he is referring to his post#62 of this thread, the link to which is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/246126-post62.html
Old 21st June 2006, 16:57   #73
BHPian

Congratulations

That's a wonderful choice.
Old 21st June 2006, 21:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi
Did test drive Adventure today!

The dealer has claimed a mileage of 10+ in the city, and is going to back that up with a fuel test in the next couple of days.

Final suggestion guys:::
If it comes up trump in the fuel test (i'll do with a 10 as well), shd I go for it. Any last min. issues I need to be concerned about.

Your suggestions have been so valuable, (I didnt even know there are cars by the name of petra and adventure), that I'll be foolish to neglect them now.

Look forward
If I recall properly Fiat's have Drive by wire system or something and the clutch needs to be used differently. try to confirm this withthe dealer.
Old 21st June 2006, 23:24   #75
Senior - BHPian

Adi, go-ahead with your choice!
Adventure 1.6 is an excellent family car, you will really enjoy driving it esp. on the long drives. One of my friend who owns a Adventure gets a mileage of 10-11 kmpl in City driving in Bangalore and 15-17 kmpl on Highways.
And now you have service from Tata Motors as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks