Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2006, 00:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yeah .....its just more of a personal choice

And all cars these days are good in one way or another, so its more on how u look at a car..
Old 11th June 2006, 01:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Aveo only loses out on the engine-vengine part.....its ahead in all other areas. Comfort, interiors, exteriors, quality of materials used....
I beg to differ.... Fiesta anyday rides and handles better and is more comfortable. Aveo rolls a lot in corners..... have u seen the ride height of the aveo! Besides Aveo scores badly on safety.... drive it and it just doesnt feels solid enuf!
Old 11th June 2006, 13:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
You own a Baleno and test drove an Aveo.

How did you find the Aveo, compared to the Baleno in engine performance, gearshift quality, high speed handling and cornering?

My feeling was that the Baleno was peppier, smoother and quicker.
But I'd like to hear your experience.

And what is this FTD factor, that you mention?

Many car magazine writers have never owned a car and are less knowledgeable than most team-BHPians.

Then there is marketing money and beer-parties from the big manufacturers who want reports written to show their cars in a good light, to the gullible public.

So, I buy car magazines only for the pictures
and take their so-called "opinions" with a sack of salt.
Yup, I certainly found the Baleno pepier, smoother and more fun to drive- read that as cornering grip (probably helped by my 195/60 r14 GoodYears), better in-gear accleration, and more stable during hard braking. Also muckh more chuckable. Engine Wise, no comparison- Baleno beats the Aveo hollow. Gearshift quality- ummm, Baleno's better except for the reverse gear which my particular car refusesto engage...

Main reason that the Aveo seems attractive to me is becoz of it's cabin quality and exterior shape. Also, it's ground clearance which is a bilg plus in these parts..

Cheers
Old 11th June 2006, 13:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Request the Mods to change the title of this thread.
Nobody has the right to defame any Car. If they like any car, let them share the good points of that Car rather than defaming other Cars. Some like Aveo, Some like Fiesta, let us respect the likes and opinions of others.
Chill bro, don't get so worked up. Nobody's defaming any car/ car company. The Title was just a direct question from me coz I haven't driven the Fiesta and seems at least in this Forum the general (90% plus) opinion is that the Fiesta is much much much better than the Aveo.
Old 23rd June 2006, 16:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech
Ford Fiesta's ride and handling / power pickup and lightness in driving is quite good but what about the braking issues with Fiesta at high speeds where the tyres actually skid and the maintenance costs?
Sorry, catching up on my reading as I've been away so you'll excuse this question rather late in the day.......what braking issues with the Fiesta at high speeds are you referring to? Would just like to know for my future reference. Had to make an emergency stop once so far, felt the ABS kick in (pedal started jerking violently) but car stopped in a dead straight line without any fuss and in the shortest possible time line
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:17   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Sorry, catching up on my reading as I've been away so you'll excuse this question rather late in the day.......what braking issues with the Fiesta at high speeds are you referring to? Would just like to know for my future reference. Had to make an emergency stop once so far, felt the ABS kick in (pedal started jerking violently) but car stopped in a dead straight line without any fuss and in the shortest possible time line
Perhaps that would be in the non-ABS version. In any case, the Fiesta's braking is a lot improved over the Ikon, but the 1.6 should get discs all around along with ABS.
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:38   #37
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aveo only loses out on the engine-vengine part.....its ahead in all other areas. Comfort, interiors, exteriors, quality of materials used....
No offense, but if you're actually willing to lose out on the "engine-vengine" part, my office is way ahead in comfort, interiors, exteriors, quality of materials used...

A car only becomes a car when it has an engine! And the better the engine, the better the car!

So my choice is neither Aveo, nor Fiesta. It's Baleno, all the way! The car that becomes a part of you, obedient, competent, whichever way you flog it!

And speaking of comfort, try getting a bunch of programmers and their luggage out of a Baleno and into a Fiesta. I did at the half-way point on the Mumbai Pune expressway!

Sorry, one suitcase didn't fit the Fiesta and had to remain in the Baleno. And ten minutes later, they all unanimously wanted to be back in the Baleno, where it had been more comfortable!

Unluckily for them, the folks that now occupied the Baleno, didn't want to get back in the Fiesta!

Now if the Fiesta engine (which doesn't come close to the Baleno in smoothness, silence and acceleration), beats the Aveo engine,
then what's the clear choice?

My honest advice: Ignore commercial magazine recommendations and drive all three cars for 100 km straight on the expressway and on twisting ghat roads. You will have a clear answer!
Old 24th June 2006, 00:02   #38
BANNED

Now if only they let us take test drives on the Expressway!
Old 24th June 2006, 08:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Ram..
I do agree with you, that engine plays a major role on how a car is. But u really have to consider otherfactors like comfort n all, and not just blindly get a car for its engine rite.

Since u compare it with the Baleno, all i say is that Baleno has a better engine no doubt, but if u have driven/seen/sat in an Aveo, u'll really like it for its comfort. The rear seat is really good and is reclined a bit so u feel very comfy. Ride quality is good too. If ur chauffer driven, this is the car to get.

And where did Baleno come in from ..
Old 24th June 2006, 10:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
@Ram..
.Since u compare it with the Baleno, all i say is that Baleno has a better engine no doubt, but if u have driven/seen/sat in an Aveo, u'll really like it for its comfort. The rear seat is really good and is reclined a bit so u feel very comfy. Ride quality is good too. If ur chauffer driven, this is the car to get.

And where did Baleno come in from ..
Agree with you totally Ram

Karthik, IMHO, the Baleno gives you all those things that you want. It has much better Front/Rear Seats. Ride Quality and Handling is in a different league. It meets every above mentioned priority of yours But only that bit better than the Aveo.

But lets not go here, and coming back to the topic i feel that the Aveo is a much better package than the Fiesta(unless you are gone FIDA over the Ford machine)
Old 24th June 2006, 11:55   #41
BHPian

Go fidaaa

well keeping the baleno aside....id really like my car to be peppy,fun to drive and comfortable as well...
The Fiesta is funn to drive....looks decent(the aveos front is better but overall proportions suk...its a chopped optra after all..)
Its peppier than the aveo as well...
my vote def goes fer the fiesta....(btw the baleno still says... )
Old 24th June 2006, 14:28   #42
BANNED

Every time someone starts a topic about other cars, Baleno owners on the forum feel compelled to jump in and say "Baleno, Baleno, ok sorry for going off topic, Baleno".

Why??!

Agreed Baleno is a good car for certain people, but does it HAVE to be brought up in every single thread, even when it is not relevant?
Old 24th June 2006, 14:48   #43
BHPian

here in gulf on roundabouts aveos look as though there goingto tip over.
as i view it i feel its the suspension rear which is torsion beam - seems GM is going into cheap stuff / design. the car looks no good either nose down arse up and tall the only saving grace is the mileage i suppose.

Fiesta is a good car and much better than aveo

above is my personal view
Old 24th June 2006, 18:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Agreed Baleno is a good car for certain people, but does it HAVE to be brought up in every single thread, even when it is not relevant?
Reason is simple:
  • Some People try hard to sell a car which doesn't sell well in the market.
eg, Petra,Baleno,Palio.
  • There are people who inspite of owning best selling cars like NHC,Accent,Indigo doesn't try to sell them in every thread..
Rule is simple,
If a car is good, it WILL sell
else... it wont.
Old 24th June 2006, 19:41   #45
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster
Reason is simple:
  • Some People try hard to sell a car which doesn't sell well in the market.
eg, Petra,Baleno,Palio.
  • There are people who inspite of owning best selling cars like NHC,Accent,Indigo doesn't try to sell them in every thread..
Rule is simple,
If a car is good, it WILL sell
else... it wont.
Do we bathe with India's best selling soap?
It's Lifebuoy's red carbolic acid (phenol) soap!
The most people are highly allergic to phenol.

Do you buy a clothing size or type, just because that size or type sells the most?

Best seller doesn't mean anything!
Aston Martins and Rolls-Royces are the world's worst sellers! The best selling car in India by volume is the dimunitive Maruti 800.

At the risk of sounding elitist, if team-BHPians don't identify themselves with the common car-ignorant buyer, whence this obsession with the best seller?

Most Viewed