Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2006, 02:13   #1
BHPian

should i go for honda vtec

hi to all

as this is my first post,

i was planning to take a new car to upgrade my ikon 1.6.

my priority is drivers car and should be fun with good road hadling characteristics, i have taken road test of vtec not bad, but really doest inspire the same thrill or confidence at hight speed, overdrive has also reported in its road test that stability at speeds obove 120 km is hairy.

m going to pay close to 9 lacs on a car which doest even have a option of abs, i also have a feeling that since palio 1.6 has been reintroduced and a new version(brazilan) would be out in sept, plus they might introduce punto so rather then exchanging my ikon which so much fun to drive.
i shuould wait for these cars to be launched and maybe keep my ikon as well. but then fiat service and brand name even with tata, vtec has a great fuel efficency, brand name on their side

i would especially like someone who own new vtec to help me out, all your reviews are welcome
Old 9th June 2006, 03:10   #2

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

wow...had to go through the same dilemma when i sold my ikon 1.6 and bought a nhc vtec.she is quick but not as much fun as a ikon 1.6 to the extent that i miss my ikon 1.6 now.bottom line....its not a drivers car.the only car above the ikon 1.6 to truly pamper an enthusiast is the fiesta 1.6.had compared both the vtec and the fiesta before buying.loved the fiesta but voted in favour of the city was cos of ease of driving,better f.e.driving pleasure was not a high priority as the siena 1.6 took care of that.the nhc vtec is a car which takes u to high speeds,post quick 0-100 times without lettin u know whats actually happening under the hood.whereas the fiesta makes you feel ur goin 150 when actually ur doing 100.also the steering of the vtec wasnt really confidence inspiring as compaerd to the fiesta .opting for the fiesta 1.6sxi also gets you abs,leather seats which the vtec doesnt have.
hope have managed to help you.do take a test ride of both the cars before making a decision.

and talking about the punto,fiat is currently reworking the car to help them cut under the tax duty of cars under 4m or 1200cc engine.i dont think fiat will launch the punto initially with a powerful engine as they will try to rework their strategy and getthem noticed forfuel efficient cars.
hey the fiat isnt as bad as it sounds.have been driving a siena 1.6 for the last two years.hasnt given me any problems as yet.

Last edited by hellspawn : 9th June 2006 at 03:14.
Old 9th June 2006, 03:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon replacement is hard to find but your budget is pretty enough and even your only priority being fun to drive.

Fiat palio sports comes as close as you can expect. Its got a different and heavy character than the ikon. Its more of a GT kinda car.

Look at palio Adventure too. lots of character and attitude along with power. take it off-road, rip it on tarmac and the car obeys.

ford fiesta is a much matured car and looses a lot over the ford ikon 1.6. It's a good car and I really like it more than any car. but I dont think you will love it coming from an Ikon 1.6

Honda city vtec as matter of fact comes out better than the fiesta here but still below the fiat brothers. power is more refined unlike the savage powerband of the IKON and high-speed handling is suspect.

Look at Hyundai Elantra petrol if you can. The engine is not exactly the most refined in the segment but I really had fun ripping the car on the highway. THough the car I drove was a fully equipped one. 127hp is still very much powerful.

My first preference would be the elantra petrol
second would be palio sports
third preference would be palio adventure.

Decide your priorities and select the best car.
Old 9th June 2006, 04:35   #4
BHPian

i have norrowed it down to city vtec or optra 1.6 base model, now i leave it up to you guys to enlighten me on these, my daily runs are not more then 20 k, staying in vashi new bambay so no bumper to bumper traffic, often take pune express highway for short stay at lonavala, khandala, highway manners are important also what can i expect from optra 1.6 in terms of fuel economy.
Old 9th June 2006, 06:22   #5
BHPian

HI,
WELL if your looking for looks go for Optra.
i also hae an optra in Hyd and it gives my dad 10-10.5 its a 2005 model...
well when i go to hyd and drive it, it gives me 9KMPL...ripping most of the time...
heard the latest version gives about 12+...

if your looking for millage City is the best car...
Old 20th June 2006, 03:38   #6
BHPian

guys just booked city vtec today, first thing i am planning to do is to upgrade the tyres with either 185/14, 195/14, any suggestions and will it adversely affect Fe
Old 20th June 2006, 09:53   #7
BHPian

all the best for a great ride ...

195/14 should be an ideal upgrade if you dont want to change OEM alloys (they are really good quality), else you could also consider 15 inchers

you might get slightly lesser FE with those tyres - but with the vtec giving 12-13 kmpl w/AC to most owners, i guess it would still be great ...
Old 20th June 2006, 09:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

What about the Cedia?
Old 20th June 2006, 13:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great car. Enjoy the drive.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 20th June 2006 at 13:38.
Old 20th June 2006, 23:27   #10
BHPian

thanks goldie, navin i did enquire for cedia but it goes int 11 lacs on road, way out of my budget, actually i will get in two week time, can you guys suggest me a good colour as i have to decide by tom, i plaaned for silver, as my last car was black, recently in showroom saw ruby red looked good man, but again these colurs are difficult to mantain, also going for bridgestone 185/14, thanks a lot guys for your suggestions and i pronmise to give a full fledged review once i get my baby

so long
Old 21st June 2006, 03:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

How about white? or that metallic grey shade?
Old 21st June 2006, 10:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

From what i've seen on the roads. Black and blue silver look the best.

The problem with white is that unless you give it boy-racer accessories (Type R styling), it'l end up looking like a taxi.

Metallic paints are known to hide small scrathes better than plain colours, so i suggest you go in for a metallic one.

Shan2nu
Old 21st June 2006, 10:52   #13
BHPian

bluish-silver for the exclusivity, as it is only available on the VTEC trim
cherry-red looks good, but not sporty, also tough to maintain

you can check out the galaxy-grey as well - it looks different ...

but plss - no warm-silver (golden) - its just toooooo common on the roads ...
Old 21st June 2006, 11:50   #14
BANNED

Black with alloys looks great, but it's harder to maintain.
Old 21st June 2006, 23:25   #15
BHPian

thnx guys, still not able to decide the color but i guess albasta silver is good somehow bluish silver is not appealing to me, i spoke to service adviesor at hallmark and he said in case i upgrade my tyres, they will not extend the wartranty on suspension and it can be an issue, but i have made up my mind that i will go ahead with it, i will speak to that sales person tomorrow, damn it you cant give me those skinny 175 , say what guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks