Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 21:50   #1

Ford Fiesta - Black or Platinum?

Hi All:

Though I have decided on the car, I seem to have an issue in choosing the color. Yes, I am going for Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXi.

The dealer rep says Black looks stunning(I agree) but it is difficult to maintain and usually not preferred by buyers because of this. The reasons:

1. Accumulated dust is most visible on a black
2. Any scratch would also be easily visible
3. It is not visible in the nights and is more prone to accidents from the other end (is it true???!!)

Alternatively he asks me to choose Platinum which I feel it is too common.

I would like your assitance on this. Is a black car all that difficult to maintain? Are the above cited reasons valid?

In addition, the rep is coaxing me to go for the following accessories at a discounted rate:

1. Leather vinyl seat covers - 10,926
2. Floor Mat - 940
3. Mud Flap - 625
4. Boot Map - 732
5. Remote Lock - ??
6. Chrome Ring around the fog lamp - 3635

Totals to 16,858 (excluding remote lock). This is clubbed as a Platinum Package of accessories. All prices are from the company website and are applicable to Delhi (exclusive of tax).

This package including remote lock is offered at a discounted price of 16,000. I had thought of going for an extended warranty but he insists we should go for this package. Is it worth it? Or should I fix them from a third-party vendor?

I would really appreciate any help or guidance on this.

Thanks,
sks2131
Old 16th June 2006, 22:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes black is going to be difficult to maintain.
Oh and stay away from accessories from the showroom. Its a complete rip-off. You can get everything done at any aftermarket shop for much cheaper.

Drifter
Old 16th June 2006, 22:37   #3
BHPian

Difficult to maintain, but still looks the best...IMHO go for Black

As Drifter mentioned, stay away from the accessories from the showroom. And pleaseeeee go for the extended warranty, that's an absolute must.

Cheers!!!
Old 17th June 2006, 00:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sks2131
In addition, the rep is coaxing me to go for the following accessories at a discounted rate:

2. Floor Mat - 940
3. Mud Flap - 625
4. Boot Map - 732
5. Remote Lock - ??

Totals to 16,858 (excluding remote lock). This is clubbed as a Platinum Package of accessories.
hey, I would advise you not to go for ANY accessory from the dealer, they usually charge double the amount of wat u get in accessory shop.
instead, go for the cash discount.

Quote:
since leather cannot be so cheap, it must be leather look-alike ones, called PPU.
its actual cost is ~4500/-

Quote:
2. Floor Mat - 940
The floor mat( perfumed and transparent one,heavy duty) costs about 500/-

Quote:
5. Remote Lock - ??
If you want just basic locking/unlocking facility, its costs 2500/-, which is a base model from Auto Cop
if you wanna go in with an Engine immobilizer, it will cost 3500/-

dont go in for sensor ones, they are expensive, plus more or less useless
Old 17th June 2006, 07:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All:

Though I have decided on the car, I seem to have an issue in choosing the color. Yes, I am going for Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXi.

The dealer rep says Black looks stunning(I agree) but it is difficult to maintain and usually not preferred by buyers because of this. The reasons:

3. It is not visible in the nights and is more prone to accidents from the other end (is it true???!!)

I would like your assitance on this. Is a black car all that difficult to maintain? Are the above cited reasons valid?

2. Floor Mat - 940
3. Mud Flap - 625
4. Boot Map - 732
5. Remote Lock - ??

Totals to 16,858 (excluding remote lock). This is clubbed as a Platinum Package of accessories. All prices are from the company website and are applicable to Delhi (exclusive of tax).

This package including remote lock is offered at a discounted price of 16,000. I had thought of going for an extended warranty but he insists we should go for this package. Is it worth it? Or should I fix them from a third-party vendor?

Thanks,
sks2131
i also have a fiesta tdci........platinum colour.......reg the black, the rep is saying the truth, but it also applies for the white colour......in the white colour, it looks like a mini c-class merc especially at the rear! we had initially booked white colour, but the waiting period was 3 months (for tdci) and we opted for platinum....my house being on the road side on a busy road, if you leave the car without cover, the white would become platinum .......i wanted black, but my father would have none of it! vitro(light blue/green) looks better than silver.....about 70% of fiesta are tdci, but i would also say 70% of fiesta are also platinum!!!

the leather vinyl seat cover is actually a perforated leather one, almost the same like the seats on the higher end (sxi) model......but the leather is only in two regions - where you sit & where your back rests! so its not worth it even though if you put it, it may be mistaken for the seats from the higher end (sxi) model......

the remote lock that they give costs about Rs.4500/-......one of my relative fitted that on his fiesta......but i wouldn't go for it!

chrome ring around the fog lamp - Rs.3635 ....i'm unable to say anything about that!

we took the extended warranty for 2 years for Rs.9250/-.....i would advise you to go for it, but dont go for the package - its not worth it....

Last edited by arif_t01 : 17th June 2006 at 07:09.
Old 17th June 2006, 12:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All:

2. Floor Mat - 940
3. Mud Flap - 625
4. Boot Map - 732
5. Remote Lock - ??

Thanks,
sks2131
I own a black Swift and while its true dust is more visible on black than on any other color, personally I would vouch for black - no other color matches black in terms of sleekness on a car. All I do is wash and TurtleWax it thoroughly once a month and simply wipe off the dust on other days lightly - and its back to its super gleaming self.

Having said that, the Fiesta, being a soft-looking sedan will look better in sedate light colors than in black IMHO.
Old 17th June 2006, 14:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey SKS,

Are you stuck ONLY between these 2 colours ?? I would have gone for the PURPLE....but amongst the 2 u mention...Platinum it is !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 17th June 2006 at 14:21.
Old 17th June 2006, 15:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Bro,
it depends on where your car will be parked.
If you live in a dusty place or if you car doesn't get washed and polished that often, platinum would be adviseable.
Why not try silver or cherry red or even flare?
Your ca5r would stand out from the crowd and it wouldn't look that bad either.
Cheers.
Old 19th June 2006, 15:45   #9

All: Thanks a lot for your comments.. you've made it even more difficult now.. with so many of you suggesting alternate colors.. yes they do look good but it took a long time for me to come down to these two colors.. now i have again started looking at Silver in addition to Balck and Platinum...

BTW.. the rep says he will give 12,000 lesser for the black (old price) but for platinum he says I have to wait for 2 weeks.. so I've made a downpayment and still finalising the color..

Hey theMAG,

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
All I do is wash and TurtleWax it thoroughly once a month and simply wipe off the dust on other days lightly - and its back to its super gleaming self.
How much does TurtleWax cost and is it easily available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Having said that, the Fiesta, being a soft-looking sedan will look better in sedate light colors than in black IMHO.
I feel all sedans look best in black.. but you seem to have a different opinion.. so what colors would you suggest?

Cheers,
sks2131
Old 21st June 2006, 10:44   #10

All: I have finally chosen a Moondust Silver Ford Fiesta ZXi.

Thanks to all for your help.
Old 21st June 2006, 10:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

sks2131,

Turtle Wax Hard Shell rubbing wax costs Rs 350/- per tin. Beware of fakes tho - only buy from reputed stores (NOT from JC Road). The results are amazing and longlasting.

Re: black, I love blaxk cars myself, but particularly for the Fiesta - which is a soft looking sedan, I felt that black would be a mismatch to the car's character. Try some metallic silvers.
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All: I have finally chosen a Moondust Silver Ford Fiesta ZXi.

Thanks to all for your help.
That was one wise decision......didn't want to dishearten you earlier about the Black & the Platinum but believe me, MDS looks the best out of the three. I had originally booked a Black but changed to MDS on account of delays due to shortage of ABS kits and am glad I did so. You'll like it as well!

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2006, 13:54   #13
BHPian

SKS2131,

well buddy, choosing colors have always been a difficult task

now i have Black Laura..and let me tell u, the first 2 points are correct, but the third point is bulsh*! this is a very very rare chance kinda.

yes, the black color looks the sexist of all, but then, evening when we get down from our office, i see a nice thin blanket of dust over the car, hahaha its a pain cleaning it too... u clean it the wrong way, and the water marks will be there...u can see the circles all over of the water being wiped off. u have to use a chamoise leather or some good cloth to dry wipe the car. and the scratches are also visible more clearly than the other cars in other colors.

Also, the black car looks good scatchless, if u have scratches and dents, it looks very ugly!

now overall, to outdo all these problems, the best color is WHITE it is a nice color, and evergreen one too. no problems with the dust, and what nots, it will still look good with a blanket of dust, scratches n dents. and its the easiest color to matchup while repainting.

Silver. i feel silver is for the "not so enthusiastic" ones. not for the young or medium blooded ones i wud anyday go for a more solid shade. hey the deep brinjal color also looks real yummy! but as u have decided to go for it, congrats!

Now regarding the Accessories.

1.the prices for footmats, mudflaps are reasonable. so u can take it from the dealer. thou, the variety of footmats are better in aftermatket shops. so best is to take only mudflaps from him.

2. Chrome Foglight ring: well, i am pretty sure they are available in car accessories stores, and they will not cost more than rs.500 for a set of 2 rings, that too of good quality. In aftermarket chrome fittings, GALIO is the best company. with very good finish and quality. try to get the chrome rings of GALIO make from the aftermarket.

3. Remote central locking, best is Silicon, better than autocop too! and its available for around 3k for a single door unit (i.e u already have central locking installed in the car by factory, just have to add the remote thingy)

4. Leather Seats: definately 10k u wont get real leather. it will be ART Leather. which u can get in aftermarket for 4-5k for the best fit ones.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 22nd June 2006 at 14:01.
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a BLACK color fiesta 1.6 Zxi
My previous cars -Zen estillo, hyundai accent, Esteem etc all were Black colors.
I never felt any difficulty so far to clean the car, unless you are going to park the car
in the roadside for the full day/all the time then there will be plenty of dust on the car.
Black cars especially sedans gives good appeal. If you dont like black then why not white (but then all govt cars are in white color and you can see so many on the road)

Re night visibility - this model has got rear fog light which will come handy as an indicator for the cars coming behind.
Go for Extended warranty - I paid Rs.8300/- for 2 years (this is rate from Ford and not the dealier - How come your dealer charging Rs.9250/- for 2 years?)
I paid Rs.2240/- for mud flaps,Floor mats and Boot mat.
Remote Locking - The car is fitted with keyless entry(programmable either for driver side door or for all doors). Why you need additional remote locking?
thanks.
Old 5th October 2009, 18:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Another Experience:
it Happened it in Guruvayoor
The Car was parked in front of the hotel where I was staying (since yesterday afternoon till today early morning). As you know my car color is black (and no black fiesta seen around). There was small rain in the afternoon yesterday (unfortunately I booked a hotel through internet and I was not aware that they didnt have closed car parking or atleast some shade and the car has to be parked under the sun all the time) and immediately after the rain, I just swap the rain drops with a cloth (there were plenty of mud spots and dust all over the body) and the car somehow looked like a washed car. In the evening when I was standing near the car (just chating with my
wife and relative who came with me to guruvayoor), one guy came and asked me how come my car so clean and looks nice - he doubted I am a local man and just came there for a coffee ! I told him that I drove 250kms and brought all the mud particles etc but it vanished after the rain and little swaping with a small cloth (still it was not clean as how it looks after clean wash). He also came there with another
white color car (not fiesta) but dust and mud are very much on the car and almost it
looks very dirty. I went alongwith him (some 150 feet away from my hotel) and seen
the condition of his car. I wish I could have parked my car next to him and show people how shining is my blacky. So I dont think black is not that bad to attract
dust and looks bad?
Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks