Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 14:53   #1

Skoda: Laura Diesel AT vs Octavia Diesel AT?

Hi folks,

I need to buy (book within the next 1-2 weeks) a car in the 15-20L range. I like the Jetta, but would not buy it for reasons beyond the car - essentially that is out of contention.

I already have an Altis, so buying another one is also something I am not too keen on. No other valid sedan options exist in this range. I am just not cut out for the Cruze - don't like its looks or the space (or the brand). Personal opinion, sorry if I offended anyone.

All in all - I am now deciding between the Skoda Laura Elegance (TDI) AT and the new Skoda Octavia Ambience (TDI) AT. The Laura TSI AT is no longer available, and the Octavia TSI AT is out of budget.

My question to the friendly folks in the forum - would you go for the Laura (going at a 1-1.5L discount) or the Octavia? I know the general answer ("it depends.."), but would like to know what YOU would do, and why. It is a few lakhs cheaper, but an outgoing model.

Highly appreciate the responses, in advance!

Btw - I stay in Delhi / Gurgaon. In case any of you know of any good ongoing deals on the Laura (AT - TSI or TDI), do let me know!

Many thanks.
Old 16th October 2013, 19:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda: Laura Diesel AT vs Octavia Diesel AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
My question to the friendly folks in the forum - would you go for the Laura (going at a 1-1.5L discount) or the Octavia? I know the general answer ("it depends.."), but would like to know what YOU would do, and why. It is a few lakhs cheaper, but an outgoing model.
1.5L discount on an outgoing model with a brand-new replacement is too less. See if you can negotiate a *significantly* better deal or else just book the Octy.

It's a much bigger car than the cramped Laura, to start with and when you're spending big doubloons, may as well get a brand new model rather than an obsolete one. In a similar situation, I would go for the Octy!
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 07:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

I need to buy (book within the next 1-2 weeks) a car in the 15-20L range.

All in all - I am now deciding between the Skoda Laura Elegance (TDI) AT and the new Skoda Octavia Ambience (TDI) AT. The Laura TSI AT is no longer available, and the Octavia TSI AT is out of budget.

Btw - I stay in Delhi / Gurgaon. In case any of you know of any good ongoing deals on the Laura (AT - TSI or TDI), do let me know!

Many thanks.
Below is the extract from the new car price check thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...deals-281.html

Quote:
SKODA LAURA - CHENNAI price check

2 lakh discount on the list price.
Final worked out to around 15.8 OTR chennai for the ambition 2.0 TD variant

Only diesel Laura Ambition model available for sale

If I were you, I would pick the Laura 2.0 TDI CR DSG along with the SKODA shield.

This is purely from the mind.

Heart would say, why buy an outgoing car, the new one is always better.

Please note that the Laura TDi has a Multi-element axle suspension unlike that on the OCTAVIA TDi, which is considered to be better as per the prevailing opinion on the forum.

Last edited by F150 : 17th October 2013 at 07:34.
F150 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 08:11   #4
BHPian

I'd go for the Octy for being the latest addition to the Skoda stable. It has all the bells and whistles.
It looks good. Has a fantastic engine.
Why buy an out going car.

I too was in a dilemma this year in january between the Laura Diesel and the Jetta Diesel.
Finally ended up buying the Superb Petrol Ambition. Got a fantastic deal on the superb.
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 08:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Octavia Ambition is the ideal option here. It looks modern, got loads of space, high on safety tech., and probably is the most loaded mid-variant in the segment. The suspension setup maybe considered as a negative, but I don’t think it will make any noticeable difference in regular driving.

Go for the Laura only if (1) You’re a big fan of the car and the way it looks, or (2) you’re getting a fat discount; 1 – 1.5 lakhs discount is too low for a prev. gen car.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 09:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

I need to buy (book within the next 1-2 weeks) a car in the 15-20L range. I like the Jetta, but would not buy it for reasons beyond the car - essentially that is out of contention.

I already have an Altis, so buying another one is also something I am not too keen on. No other valid sedan options exist in this range. I am just not cut out for the Cruze - don't like its looks or the space (or the brand). Personal opinion, sorry if I offended anyone.

Many thanks.
I own a 2011 Laura TDI AT. While I love the car, I would recommend that you go for the new Octavia unless you get a significantly better deal than what you currently have for the Laura.

Pluses for the new Octavia, in addition to the fact that it is a new model:
- Rear seat space! I checked it out in the ASC recently and the difference is very tangible (and comfortable!)
- The mid-end variant is extremely well-configured

Pluses for the Laura
- Known devil, compared to the Octavia which might have new car gremlins
- Multi-link suspension

Please buy either car only with the Skoda Shield (which extends the warranty to 4 years). Good luck with the decision!
BackInTheFold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 10:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Octavia. However, do note that since it is a new car, it will take at least a year for Skoda to come out with a solution for the possible niggles and issues. It would have settled by then, and all newer models will come with the issues addressed.

I faced this in the Rapid and my TVS Wego, so telling out of experience. But heart would go for the Octavia. It is refreshed, new, loads of features, ample space and looks great too!
hrman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 10:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Many thanks.
I can now safely confirm that the Laura AT will be going out of production real soon (twice confirmed with the local dealership in Abad). You wouldn't want to invest ~20L in a car that is going to be phased out. I'd say get the new Octavia if you really want to get a Skoda.
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Unless you manage to get a ginormous discount (read, north of 2.5L) on the Laura AT, I would suggest you stay away from it.
The Octi is newer, and dare I say, better.

Is this going to be a self drive, or chauffeur driven? If the latter, then back seat space would be required; hence the Octavia. Of course, considering, these are the only 2 cars in question.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Octy is newer and the latest iteration. Some new innovation could have creeped in without buyers knowledge and some issues may have been rectified based on previous model.

Looks a little more spacious and looks good as well.

On the other hand if you can get a 2-3L discount go for the Laura for its all the octavia is and more and can serve you for a long time like any other car.

Why not Superb and work out some offers on Superb to stay close to your budget but get a SHIP with space enough to carry a football team.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

In this same situation, i would not consider the Laura. The Octavia is a whole new generation car, not just a facelift. The Laura has been around since last 9 years, i wouldn't bother with a decade old design for so little discount when a updated much better new generation car is available. Go for the Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Please note that the Laura TDi has a Multi-element axle suspension unlike that on the OCTAVIA TDi, which is considered to be better as per the prevailing opinion on the forum.
Please also note that new Octavia has much stiffer(Read Superior) MQB Chassis compared to Jetta and Laura, the change to Torsion beam setup should not be considered a downer as long as you do not care about stiffer low speed ride of this car.

Going by the ACI review, Octavia with Torsion beam setup has stiffer springs, they rate high speed composure better than the softer Multi Link Setup in 1.8 TSI. My advise- Don't go by the paper specs and other speculations, drive the car and decide on your own if you like the car's suspension setup.

Even with the Torsion beam non independent setup, i expect the Octavia TDI to have top notch Ride and Handling Balance.

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th October 2013 at 12:36.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

With some significant discounts on Laura, its a brainy choice. However heart says Octy!

My only doubt is your current ownership of Altis. No doubt both Skodas would appeal you with its performance and capabilities. But Toyota would have spoiled you already with a peaceful ownership which should not be your bench mark while going for the Skoda .
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 16:10   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda: Laura Diesel AT vs Octavia Diesel AT?

Completely with Noopster on this. Do you want to spend nearly 20 lakhs on a car that was launched like 10 years back, is outdated and now about to be discontinued?

Buying a 2-million car isn't about bargains. It's about the premium feel and a feel-good factor....areas in which the Octavia blows the Laura away.

The answer is obvious. Good luck and share an ownership report with us
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 16:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Completely with Noopster on this. Do you want to spend nearly 20 lakhs on a car that was launched like 10 years back, is outdated and now about to be discontinued?

Buying a 2-million car isn't about bargains. It's about the premium feel and a feel-good factor....areas in which the Octavia blows the Laura away.

True.
Here is my view point.
I want more power for the highway, 140 horses.
I want an AT for the city.
Prefer a diesel as I can enjoy the car without worrying about the fuel bills.

There is no other car in this price bracket with a high powered diesel heart and AT, except the cruze, but its cramped.

The premuim levels offered by the current Laura are not bad.

This is at 15 L.

Once I reach the >= 20L bracket, I may wait and stretch a little and at look at Superb/Passat or Bimmers.

Last edited by F150 : 17th October 2013 at 16:39.
F150 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 11:51   #15

Re: Skoda: Laura Diesel AT vs Octavia Diesel AT?

Folks, thanks a lot for all the inputs. This is exactly what I was looking for. While I do understand the 'factual' pros and cons, it was the opinions I was seeking, and I got these well informed opinions. Thanks again.

So all in all, the Laura is out of contention now. I am now pretty much in Octavia zone, though battling in my mind if I should wait around until there is some ownership critical mass in the market and Skoda shield starts being offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
1.5L discount on an outgoing model with a brand-new replacement is too less....In a similar situation, I would go for the Octy!
Many thanks Noopster. Agree, the financials would probably impact me for a few months at most, the car would remain for a few years .

Quote:
If I were you, I would pick the Laura 2.0 TDI CR DSG along with the SKODA shield...Heart would say, why buy an outgoing car, the new one is always better.
The heart should always win. Always. As far as possible . Heart currently says Octavia, Laura now 'looks and feels dull' standing next to the Octavia in the showroom - in addition to all the technicals and the interior space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I'd go for the Octy for being the latest addition to the Skoda stable. Why buy an out going car.
I too was in a dilemma this year in january between the Laura Diesel and the Jetta Diesel.
Finally ended up buying the Superb Petrol Ambition. Got a fantastic deal on the superb.
Yup, agree. Congratulations on the Superb! The only reason its not in my consideration set is that the 20L limit in my mind is the absolute upper bound. Superb well and truly exceeds that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The Octavia Ambition is the ideal option here.

Go for the Laura only if (1) You’re a big fan of the car and the way it looks, or (2) you’re getting a fat discount; 1 – 1.5 lakhs discount is too low for a prev. gen car.
Thank you vb-san. I was never a fanboy, but did generally like the looks of Laura. Not anymore, with the sharper lines of Octavia within reach. Only thing bothering me was the few lakhs of difference and lack of Skoda Shield with the Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I own a 2011 Laura TDI AT. While I love the car, I would recommend that you go for the new Octavia unless you get a significantly better deal than what you currently have for the Laura.
Good luck with the decision!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I would go for the Octavia.

Thanks BackInTheFold and hrman. Better deals for Laura may exist, but I have lost the energy, and more importantly, the will to go deal seeking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I can now safely confirm that the Laura AT will be going out of production real soon (twice confirmed with the local dealership in Abad). You wouldn't want to invest ~20L in a car that is going to be phased out. I'd say get the new Octavia if you really want to get a Skoda.
That is genuinely good input. Thank you. Agree - 20L is a substantial amount, especially for poor salaried employees like me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Unless you manage to get a ginormous discount (read, north of 2.5L) on the Laura AT, I would suggest you stay away from it.
The Octi is newer, and dare I say, better.

Is this going to be a self drive, or chauffeur driven? If the latter, then back seat space would be required; hence the Octavia. Of course, considering, these are the only 2 cars in question.
Thanks. For the time being, these were the only 2 cars in question. Car is 50-50 self driven and chauffeur driven. Plus I go on long road trips at least 3-4 times a year. Last was Delhi-Bhuj and back a few months back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Octy is newer and the latest iteration. Some new innovation could have creeped in without buyers knowledge and some issues may have been rectified based on previous model.

Why not Superb and work out some offers on Superb to stay close to your budget but get a SHIP with space enough to carry a football team.
Great advice - though with Superb, I see challenges with parking / maneuvering around where I stay. Plus it exceeds the budget. By a LOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
In this same situation, i would not consider the Laura. The Octavia is a whole new generation car, not just a facelift. The Laura has been around since last 9 years, i wouldn't bother with a decade old design for so little discount when a updated much better new generation car is available. Go for the Octavia.
Even with the Torsion beam non independent setup, i expect the Octavia TDI to have top notch Ride and Handling Balance.
Thanks .anshuman. Valuable advice. Since I do spend 50% of my time in the rear seat, this is an important consideration. Also use the laptop / read when I am in the rear seat, so stability is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
With some significant discounts on Laura, its a brainy choice. However heart says Octy!

My only doubt is your current ownership of Altis. No doubt both Skodas would appeal you with its performance and capabilities. But Toyota would have spoiled you already with a peaceful ownership which should not be your bench mark while going for the Skoda .
The Altis has spoilt me really bad. 5 years of ownership, and not a single niggle (touchwood!). Toyota service is also top notch! It may not be as 'solid' (thuds as with the Europeans), but I've seen many of my friends with European cars struggling with service.

Wish there was a wider Toyota portfolio in India... would have loved to have more options from that stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Feel-good factor - the most important consideration! Thanks for the inputs GTO, will share the ownership review of whichever car I end up buying (certainly not the Laura now).

Quote:
True.
Here is my view point.
I want more power for the highway, 140 horses.
I want an AT for the city.
Prefer a diesel as I can enjoy the car without worrying about the fuel bills.

There is no other car in this price bracket with a high powered diesel heart and AT, except the cruze, but its cramped.

The premuim levels offered by the current Laura are not bad.

This is at 15 L.

Once I reach the >= 20L bracket, I may wait and stretch a little and at look at Superb/Passat or Bimmers.
All your considerations are similar to mine - though I am less bent upon Diesel. Would've snapped up the 1.8TSI had it been available for cheaper. Am not too keen to touch or exceed the 20L bracket.

Thanks all for the inputs - will keep you all posted!
geronimo is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed