Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 22:50   #1
BHPian

Preowned BMW 3 Series / X1 versus New Hyundai Elantra EDIT - Bought an X1

Hi
I'm planning to upgrade from Fusion/Fiesta to higher segment. Some decision points are:
1. Needs to be Diesel
2. Now since my daily drive in gurgaon is 25 kms a day with relatively less traffic vs mumbai, Auto is not mandatory
3. Car needs to have a road presence and prestige associated with it
4. Budget around 16-17L
5. Self-driven all the time hence front seat comfort and gizmos matter a lot

Choices I have narrowed down to:

Used 3 Series BMW (no earlier than 2011): I love the looks of this car, monaco blue blows me away. Performance wise I believe its a drivers car though I have never TD this car.

Downsides:
1. Service and Maintenance Cost unknown to me and a few a few threads have very little info. It looks that one must have the BMW secure/BSI for peace of mind as some parts are very expensive. Don't know if BSI it can be availed on used cars and at what cost
2. Spare parts availability and downtime
3. Lack of features vs the Elantra
4. High Rate of interest on Car Loan (16-17%)

New Elantra
The Car looks good except the rear which is just ok. Loaded with features and dynamics are pretty good. It will have a great resale value and being a new car, it wont suck me dry on maintenance. Easy on loan.

Downsides
1. Not comparable to a PreOwned 3 series in terms of sheer joy

To add to my dilemma, there are hardly any ownership threads of the new Elantra.

Mrs is all confused on why the hell we need one more car

So friends, what shall i follow? Heart or the Head?
Old 20th November 2013, 23:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Preowned BMW 3 Series / X1 versus New Hyundai Elantra EDIT - Bought an X1

I always believe that if you cannot afford a brand new german car, then don't buy one. They are not the most reliable, and parts are expensive.
You have aptly stated the disadvantages of owning an Elantra over the 3 series. If you want the Fun To Drive factor, then why don't you go in for a new Laura? Discounts ought to be massive right now.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 23:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I always believe that if you cannot afford a brand new german car, then don't buy one. They are not the most reliable, and parts are expensive.
You have aptly stated the disadvantages of owning an Elantra over the 3 series. If you want the Fun To Drive factor, then why don't you go in for a new Laura? Discounts ought to be massive right now.
Tks Ishaan. The unknown factor of maintenance cost is what is also holding me back.
Laura I'm not even considering simply because of some horrible Skoda stories experienced by people whom i know and then the story of Harish's car not returned in last 5 years or so.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 23:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

How about the new cruze, It's in your budget, Has power figures to match 320d, Though handling isn't a match to it but still it should fulfill your most of the needs. The LTZ model is also fairly well kitted. Also, living with a 3 series is not easy, the cost of normal spares and consumables may pinch you later once the odo reading climbs up. Also, you can look at jetta comfortline.
sameerg001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 23:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

I respect the restraint you display in buying a Skoda

IF you really love to drive and think that a car ought to be dynamically sound, then I think the next best option would be the Renault Fluence E4. The car is big for its segment and looks sedately beautiful, so it must garner respect on the roads, interiors have a calm yet new design language to them, the 110 ps 1.5 DCi motor should not put you off as it has got what I call useable power and torque. Infact in-gear acceleration times are a country mile ahead of power houses like the Cruze. Ride is good, seats are comfy, comes with loads of safety kit and other unique features. Most importantly it has got one of the better, well sorted eps units around so handling is not bad at all.
For me icing on the cake is also the fact that it is a rare entity on our roads so you have got the exclusivity factor.

The reason I added a big 'IF' to the previous paragraph is because if you just enjoy driving a car, then go for the Cruze. The sheer dollops of torque and power ought to keep you grinning if you disregard the car's dynamic capabilities.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th November 2013 at 23:49.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 02:55   #6
BHPian

I think your main criteria is Diesel and Point 3.

Given that your budget is 16-17L, if you go for a pre-owned BMW with 16%-17% interest rate + maintenance cost, the EMI would be close to what you would get for a new BMW... There is a zero percent offer going currently on X1.. I guess there would be some offer on three series as well.. Do check what they have to offer and before you finalize the pre-owned route, do calculate the EMI + Service+maintenance cost and than match it with the EMI of the new BMW.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
LoneWolf9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 09:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post

1. Service and Maintenance Cost unknown to me and a few a few threads have very little info. It looks that one must have the BMW secure/BSI for peace of mind as some parts are very expensive. Don't know if BSI it can be availed on used cars and at what cost
The BSI can be bought by you but it would still be applicable only from the actual date of purchase of the car. So your options are:
1. Either find a pre owned car, 2011 and later model, which has an active BSI pack going on since BSI can be transferred to the new owner.
2. Buy a used car, 2011 and later, and opt for a new BSI pack for 5 years. This will still be applicable from the date of car purchase by the first owner and for instance if the car was invoiced in 2011 then you stillwill be able to use the BSI for another 3 years.

The new car in NCR will cost you around 29L ( without Xenons) and 32L with Xenons for the base model. This is the OTR price. So if you have the moolah then nothing like the BMW brand experience. And it is fairly well kitted too. Whatever few Gizmos it lacks over the Elantra are made up by the BMW logo sitting on the front of your car!

Why don't you look at Superb and Jetta? Or even the Passat and Superb should have good discounts going on.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 09:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

As ishaanlan suggested if you need a car with good dynamics and not just power then your best bet would be the fluence. Cruze has loads of power and torque but the main problem it suffers from is a lot of turbo lag which is irritating when driving in the city traffic. A used BMW is always an enthusiasts choice, but let's be real a used BMW isn't really a good option. The spares are really costly and 2-3 years down the line your pocket will have real bad holes. Germans and reliability rarely or rather never go hand in hand. I don't know if you like SUV's but this budget can fetch you a used montero/x-trail. I wouldn't suggest the q's,x's.etc
Test drive whatever fits in your budget and you like. All the best!
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 11:17   #9
BHPian

It will be hard to find a 3 series under 16-17L which is not older than 2011. Usually, you can get a 2009/10 car for 18-19L. So either you will have to raise your budget or go for a 2009/10 car.

BMW premium selection outlets offer interest rate of 13.5%.

Also, they provide 2 years warranty from the date of purchase from their outlet for 1.4L. After those two years, you are basically on your own if any part is giving up which could cost a lot. Like for example, a electric motor of seat adjusting mechanism would cost around 1L or so.

I have done some research on the similar topic and my conclusion is that if you can find a good car for less than 16L then and only then it makes sense to go for used 3 series as it is already generation old and will not fetch good resale.

Anything beyond 20L for a used 3er, it is better to go for 320d baseline with BSI.

My vote goes to Elentra as one of your requirements is features which that car is loaded with.

Good luck!

Last edited by the_skyliner : 21st November 2013 at 11:23.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Go for the Elantra, you can check US reviews, the car is really good and quite loaded and easy on the wallet as well. It looks amazing as well.

Another thing in the Elantra's favour is that it is a new car and that in itself is a lovely feeling.

BMW used, apart from the fact that finding a good car for your budget will be a problem. Do remember one thing that it is still a 30 lakh rupee car, you getting it for less does not mean maintenance will be cheap. These cars require a lot of TLC and if problems do arise they are on the expensive side. I am not sure if BMW Secure is applicable to used cars. Check that first.

One more thing the Corolla is launching in April, why not wait. That will be an all new car.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 12:21   #11
BHPian

if your budget permits you, you could even consider the new Octavia, the A>S>S isnt has seriously improved over time and there's no harm giving the car a TD, or if the Jetta works for you, VW has some good offers in the news papers on the POLO and Vento maybe you could crack a good deal on the Jetta.

Good luck with your choice.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 12:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
VW has some good offers in the news papers on the POLO and Vento maybe you could crack a good deal on the Jetta.

There is only one offer going on Jetta Highline that is 20.000 exchange bonus + floor mats. For comfortline they have something more but not too much as VW is more focused on selling Polo and Vento as claimed by a SA during my recent visit.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 14:32   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Interesting predicament. My suggestion:

- Used BMW 320d. One of the main reasons is your prior experience with used cars (ref : your other threads). However, it is MANDATORY to opt for BSI. Look for a car with existing coverage or buy it on your own. One bad air-con or turbo issue, and you're looking at a repair bill into the 6 figures. I repeat, do NOT buy a BMW without warranty. Contrary to what some members have posted, it is indeed possible to buy a 3 Series / X1 for 17 - 19 lakhs (you might have to extend your budget a bit for a good car).

If that doesn't work out:

- Jetta / Octavia. Spend sometime test-driving these and you'll discover that they are 90% of the C Class / 3 Series experience at a fraction of the price.

You could also consider pre-owned current gen Jettas. I've seen 2 year old examples trading hands for 12 lakhs. That's a MASSIVE saving over a new Jetta for 18 - 20 lakhs!

Good luck shopping.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 21:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
How about the new cruze, ........... Also, living with a 3 series is not easy, the cost of normal spares and consumables may pinch you later once the odo reading climbs up. Also, you can look at jetta comfortline.
Tks Sameer. I'm clearly looking at something above the league of Cruz/Jetta/Octavia/etc which is BMW territory. If not a new then a used one. Only tricky piece is the maintenance cost.
If this doesn't work out, then I feel new Elantra is the best of lot in terms of looks/features like ventilated seats/push button start/keyless entry etc and is is pretty new launch with Modern looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I respect the restraint you display in buying a Skoda

IF you really love to drive and think that a car ought to be dynamically sound, then I think the next best option would be the Renault Fluence E4............
For me icing on the cake is also the fact that it is a rare entity on our roads so you have got the exclusivity factor.

The reason I added a big 'IF' to the previous paragraph is because if you just enjoy driving a car, then go for the Cruze. The sheer dollops of torque and power ought to keep you grinning if you disregard the car's dynamic capabilities.
Tks Ishaan. I have a Fiesta 1.6 petrol which I will continue to keep as my wife's ride and probably is the best driver's car which can continue to give me the driving pleasure in case i go for the Elantra. Also, as i said earlier, its either BMW or Elantra in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
I think your main criteria is Diesel and Point 3.

Given that your budget is 16-17L, if you go for a pre-owned BMW with 16%-17% interest rate + maintenance cost, the EMI would be close to what you would get for a new BMW... There is a zero percent offer going currently on X1.. I guess there would be some offer on three series as well.. Do check what they have to offer and before you finalize the pre-owned route, do calculate the EMI + Service+maintenance cost and than match it with the EMI of the new BMW.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
Tks Lonewolf. I'll check out the showroom on this weekend probably for the offer. However, I still feel that Pre-Owned 3 Series TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) for 3 years will be far lower than that of new one due to sheer depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The BSI can be bought by you but it would still be applicable only from the actual date of purchase of the car. So your options are:
1. Either find a pre owned car, 2011 and later model, which has an active BSI pack going on since BSI can be transferred to the new owner.
2. Buy a used car, 2011 and later, and opt for a new BSI pack for 5 years. This will still be applicable from the date of car purchase by the first owner and for instance if the car was invoiced in 2011 then you still will be able to use the BSI for another 3 years.

The new car in NCR will cost you around 29L ( without Xenons) and 32L with Xenons for the base model. This is the OTR price. So if you have the moolah then nothing like the BMW brand experience. And it is fairly well kitted too. Whatever few Gizmos it lacks over the Elantra are made up by the BMW logo sitting on the front of your car!

Why don't you look at Superb and Jetta? Or even the Passat and Superb should have good discounts going on.
Dr Mohit: Tks for this valuable information. I can stretch to 32L OTR but I feel that TCO doesn't justify it as I'll lose a lot on depreciation. But let me check out based on Lonewolf's input if its making sense financially.
Though I have a full chance of Mrs walking out on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
************ I don't know if you like SUV's but this budget can fetch you a used montero/x-trail. I wouldn't suggest the q's,x's.etc
Test drive whatever fits in your budget and you like. All the best!
Tks Asit. I have a love hate relationship with the SUVs. I was in love with Fortuner till about 11 mths ago and was actually contemplating of choosing between it and Endeavour as my next change. One day during my official market visit, the vendor didn' have a Innova and he sent the Fortuner. The next 8 hours were horrible in the back seat with a lot of bouncing and bumping and lateral movement. From that day, i have given up on all SUVs due to their high seating and have my heart set on BMW!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
It will be hard to find a 3 series under 16-17L which is not older than 2011...........

I have done some research on the similar topic and my conclusion is that if you can find a good car for less than 16L then and only then it makes sense to go for used 3 series as it is already generation old and will not fetch good resale.

Anything beyond 20L for a used 3er, it is better to go for 320d baseline with BSI.

My vote goes to Elentra as one of your requirements is features which that car is loaded with.

Good luck!
Tks Skyliner: In NCR, I believe its possible to get a pre-owned BMW due to simply larger number of New car sales and hence better supply in the used car mkt. My Target is get it under 17 with BSI of at least 2 years. Patience will be the Key I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Go for the Elantra, you can check US reviews, the car is really good and quite loaded and easy on the wallet as well. It looks amazing as well.

Another thing in the Elantra's favour is that it is a new car and that in itself is a lovely feeling.

One more thing the Corolla is launching in April, why not wait. That will be an all new car.
Tks eq24: I think the official review here is quite comprehensive with some stunning pictures. I just wanted some Elantra owners to post their experience in Indian conditions especially the steering behaviour.

Corolla could be interesting but I have a gut feel that it may not beat the Elantra in terms of features and looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
if your budget permits you, you could even consider the new Octavia, the A>S>S isnt has seriously improved over time and there's no harm giving the car a TD, or if the Jetta works for you, VW has some good offers in the news papers on the POLO and Vento maybe you could crack a good deal on the Jetta.

Tks Transam. I'm sure Octavia must be a good car but No Skoda ever for me or my family. Its my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
There is only one offer going on Jetta Highline that is 20.000 exchange bonus + floor mats. For comfortline they have something more but not too much as VW is more focused on selling Polo and Vento as claimed by a SA during my recent visit.
Tks Skyliner: But not looking at Jetta. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a 2 horse race

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Interesting predicament. My suggestion:

- Used BMW 320d. One of the main reasons is your prior experience with used cars (ref : your other threads). However, it is MANDATORY to opt for BSI. Look for a car with existing coverage or buy it on your own. One bad air-con or turbo issue, and you're looking at a repair bill into the 6 figures. I repeat, do NOT buy a BMW without warranty. Contrary to what some members have posted, it is indeed possible to buy a 3 Series / X1 for 17 - 19 lakhs (you might have to extend your budget a bit for a good car).

If that doesn't work out:

- Jetta / Octavia. Spend sometime test-driving these and you'll discover that they are 90% of the C Class / 3 Series experience at a fraction of the price.

You could also consider pre-owned current gen Jettas. I've seen 2 year old examples trading hands for 12 lakhs. That's a MASSIVE saving over a new Jetta for 18 - 20 lakhs!

Good luck shopping.
Tks GTO for dropping by thread and your advice.

Yes you are completely right about my Pre Used experience with the Fusion. It has been wonderful 2 years and 30k on it and with Hardly 10-12k on non-service maintenance. So Pre-Owned cars can be a wonderful experience provided you buy it carefully and do your homework.

So I am also looking to secure my self with the BSI for at least 2 years and total cost to around 18-19L. Else get the car for around 16 and keep aside 3 for possible repairs and parts.

For octavia or Jetta as I said earlier are not in league of 3 series. So either a BMW or an Elantra.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 21st November 2013 at 22:05.
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 22:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you're seriously looking at BMW, then you can get one without xenons for almost 4.5 lakhs discount, that's the maximum figure possible. If you're interested in it, let me know, i'll connect you up with the person who offered me the same.

It should be under 30 otr with hr registration.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 21st November 2013 at 22:05.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks