Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:28   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Comfortable Entry Level Sedan - Etios / Verito / Sail / Manza / Sunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I want to get a feedback for these models. Could NOT find a comparo for the entry level (diesel) sedans and a winner from that.

Contestants:

Toyota Etios
Mahindra Verito
Nissan Sunny
Chevy Sail
Honda Amaze
Tata Manza

Criteria:

Absolutely NO problems with the badge value
Sedan + Good boot space
Spacious & Comfortable rear seat.
Silent cabin
(Comparative) Driver oriented nature.
Cost of ownership.
NO pre-owned cars!
Okay lemme add my two cents
Etios - Great everything. Great driver car(after suspension fix, its a good handler too!)
But its noisy. On highway, you may go deaf. New iterations are more silent, but then its more like band aid. Test drive one and see the sound level. If you are satisfied buy it with closed eyes.

Sunny -
Great everything. My brother owns a micra. Same lineage. A very good car. But a very bad brand. Parts often are tough to get. He had to get shockers fixed and they told him to wait 2 days. Imagine something rare goes kaput. It would have been the ideal sedan. But Nissan, is weird.

Amaze
No idea. Never test drove it, and people who have give conflicting reports. So I am not qualified to comment.

So that is it. Do not even look at the others. none of them are no nonsense. Only the Toyota,Honda or Nissan in your list is the niggle free fill it shut it experience.

About the Etios. Just like most entry level Toyotas, its a very boring car. Its boredom personified. But it will go on and on. Every 10,000kms you will call up Toyota and they will pick it up, and then return it.

And she is tough very tough.
I crashed into a pothole on a major NHAI "new highway", destroyed the alloy, destroyed the tire, and the damn thing did not even go out of alignment. On the Safari it would have meant alignment + probably some bushes or tie rods.
The engineer in me feels delighted to see such a perfect piece of machining being created in today's age of use and throw. But the designer in me feels sad at the way they have just skimped on the finer things.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:45   #47
BHPian

I would recommend the Manza Quadrajet to anyone with absolutely no hesitation as it is one of the most frugal and comfortable cars available at this price. I have been driving it myself for ~2.5 years and believe me, it is great fun to drive as well.

Absolutely no issues with the car whatsoever (except for incompetent ASCs).

But after 2 years, once the warranty is over, any competent local mechanic can handle the car.

Spares are readily available over the counter thanks to Tata Motor's countrywide network.
bikertillidie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:57   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
About the Etios. Just like most entry level Toyotas, its a very boring car. Its boredom personified. But it will go on and on. Every 10,000kms you will call up Toyota and they will pick it up, and then return it.

And she is tough very tough.
I crashed into a pothole on a major NHAI "new highway", destroyed the alloy, destroyed the tire, and the damn thing did not even go out of alignment. On the Safari it would have meant alignment + probably some bushes or tie rods.
The engineer in me feels delighted to see such a perfect piece of machining being created in today's age of use and throw. But the designer in me feels sad at the way they have just skimped on the finer things.
Thanks Tanveer. Loved the engineers piece of suggestion and I can see a joy of ownership somewhere in it inspite of the 'boring' looks and high NVH.

I am a fan of Toyota from long (Since Qualis was launched in the green colour) and I'm not suggesting the Etios due to my favouritism but sincerely impressed with Toyota in all ways. Just that they improve those interiors and get that speedo to its original position.

Anurag.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I want to get a feedback for these models. Could NOT find a comparo for the entry level (diesel) sedans and a winner from that.

Contestants:

Toyota Etios
Mahindra Verito
Nissan Sunny
Chevy Sail
Honda Amaze
Tata Manza

Criteria:

Absolutely NO problems with the badge value
Sedan + Good boot space
Spacious & Comfortable rear seat.
Silent cabin
(Comparative) Driver oriented nature.
Cost of ownership.
NO pre-owned cars!

From whatever reviews / experience,

Amaze - NOISY diesel
Manza - Not so great rear
Sunny - Most expensive of the lot
Sail - Notorious GM + recall issues.
Dzire - 2.5 car with limited rear + boot space & high service costs
Fiesta Classic - Very old car + not so spacious rear.
Linea - Not a spacious car

Please put down the positives & negatives of these models, so that anyone who is looking for a entry level sedan can make an informed decision from this thread.

My 1 rupee about TATA Manza

1. Reliable quadrajet engine
2.Very spacious , especially for your parents
3.If you are a sedate driver then it will have absolutely no problem
4.Good boot space unlike Dezire
5. Tata cars are generally cheap to maintain , plenty of FNGs
6.Its not that expensive to own too .
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My experience with the Altis has been not as good as the Innova I have. The Altis has a problem with the AC which is still un-diagnosed in my car ( basically a small leak) and also has presented a rattle here and there which either disappears in sometime or keeps coming back infrequently.
The gas leakage in the cooling coil of the Corollas is a known issue and occurs in about 10~15% of the vehicles. Get it checked up by a good 3rd party AC fitter. The process involves getting the dashboard opened up and then the removal of the guilty cooling coil which can then be replaced/repaired as the case may be.

With a Toyota there is a major reliability and resale advantage which is hard to be replicated by other brands.

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd January 2014 at 14:49.
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:44   #51
BANNED

I would recommend the Manza here:

It has a bullet proof diesel engine coupled with the best ride quality, interior space and more so, is hugely improved over its previous variants. Add to this the discounts on it and TML's AMC, it makes it a steal.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:04   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The gas leakage in the cooling coil of the Corollas is a known issue and occurs in about 10~15% of the vehicles. Get it checked up by a good 3rd party AC fitter. The process involves getting the dashboard opened up and then the removal of the guilty cooling coil which can then be replaced/repaired as the case may be.

With a Toyota there is a major reliability and resale advantage which is hard to be replicated by other brands.
See I agree its a known issue. But then we cannot call corolla a reliable vehicle if Toyota is still selling the car with a known reliability issue. Going by your figure 1 in ever 10 cars is plagued by this issue. Thats a very significant number of defective vehicles being sold.
Also I would again slightly disagree with resale part. Its phenomenal for Innova and Fortuner but my Altis would not really fetch me much. According to carwale for instance my 2 year old car is good for only around 9.5-10.5L. I paid 15.5L OTR for it. So I am not sure if Etios follows in the footsteps of Altis or the Innova/Fortuner.

The servicing cost is surely quite less compared to the competition.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd January 2014 at 15:06.
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:32   #53
BHPian

According to your requirements, i guess ETIOS would be an apt choice. I have been driving it for the past 5 months (crossed 10K recently). Absolutely no issues so far. The 3K service was done with ZERO cost and the 10K service for Rs1600/-.

Pros
1. Excellent basics - ride & handling especially in cities
2. Excellent after-sales and prompt service
3. Spacious interior, esp with the centre hump missing, it's a playground at the rear for kids :-)
4. Best-in-class boot space - a whopping 590 litres

Cons
1. Interior noise level - But it is not very bad in the latest model ; once you are used to it, you get adjusted.
2. MID missing, compared to other cars or hatch-backs in the same price range

I suggest you to test-drive this car before making a decision.
SteeringStar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:46   #54
BHPian

Hi!
I think the Mahindra Verito would be the best fit for your requirements.
Sunny, Sail, Amaze and, to an extent, Etios have a drastically sloping roofline at the back. This tremendously affects the rear comfort. Headroom takes a direct hit.
Amaze and Verito are the ones which would suit your need of rear comfort.
From these 2, the Amaze won't be a perfect fit as it is a chop job. It's not a proper sedan.
Coming to the Verito, the following are the pros:
1. Superb comfort in front and rear seats. The rear seat is more flat-ter than the ones in more modern cars which have a bump in between to make the either side seats more comfortable.
2. Great headroom and shoulder room for rear passengers.
3. Nice dashboard compared to Etios. The layout is a little bit tacky but it is nowhere near as weird as Etios'.
4. Superb engine. It's tried, tested and has excelled in almost every climatic condition.
5. Great mileage.
6. CHEAPER to buy and to maintain. I dont know the exact prices of Verito and Etios. But Toyota clearly is more expensive than other cars in same categories. Be it the Liva, Etios, Innova or Fortuner.
7. Solid build - The build quality is above it's class. You have to see it in person to realize it.
8. Ground clearance - Dont decide just by the figures. Fill Etios and Verito with luggage and 5 people. Then take a look at Etios. It will scrape it's REAR(yes, i said rear) on almost every pothole and speed bump. This is from my personal experience while travelling with 4 other passengers from Delhi to Jaipur.

Downtime - Verito/Logan has stood the test of time and it's quite reliable. If you maintain your car well then there is no reason Verito should bother you.

Hope this helps.
DeepakS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 21:55   #55
BHPian

I was faced with a similar dilemma, when I was planning to book a sedan during recent Diwali. The following Autocar review helped a lot. Guess what Etios topped their comparison test. swiftnfurious, do go through this video, it might be helpful.

Later did a TD of Etios with Dad in rear sit and were quite satisfied with the experience, more on that in my minor review: (post #765) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3274885. Ended up booking the car and expecting delivery in a few days.

LINK: Chevrolet Sail Vs Toyota Etios Vs Tata Manza Vs Mahindra Verito

Cheers!!!

Last edited by bblost : 2nd January 2014 at 22:02. Reason: fixed youtube link
Apple Master is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:13   #56
BHPian

I think Etios is the car for you but I would request you to check the Manza once again. It has got better interiors and features than others in this list, a VGT and the Fiat's multijet engine. Highway cruising at 120-130 km/hr is effortless in Manza. Actually it is a mile muncher and you won't be tired even after long drives. It has also got the best dashboard among all the cars you have listed out. IMHO you will get bored of Etios's or Logan's interiors soon and will start looking for ways on how to improve them. You might find Manza difficult for the city rides but it is not that bad at all. Just try it once again.
amiya.c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:04   #57
BHPian

Agreed.

My Manza has been absolutely trouble-free (thanks to my friendly neighbourhood garage and availability of genuine spares over the counter).

The TASS's I had happened to visit had caused a great deal of heart-burn as expected.

It's the most comfortable, spacious yet frugal sedan one can buy at the given price and is amazingly fun to drive as well.

The 1.3 litre 90 bhp multijet/quadrajet engine and gearbox from Fiat is indeed a gem.

Last edited by bikertillidie : 3rd January 2014 at 14:05. Reason: added blank space
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 18:55   #58
BHPian

After having travelled as a passenger on the Etios on a long drive (Pune to Mumbai and back) and my butt was sore, my thighs were in pain and my back was crying murder. This was experienced also by my friend (a girl) who was travelling with us.

I have however experienced very good drives in the Manza (owned by a friend, driven by me) did a Pune - Kolhapur - Pune run with me as passenger on the return drive and it was a beautiful. All 4 passengers (one elderly lady included) were comfortable at the end of the drive which was just a two stopper (for snacks and natures calls).

The Manza is actually more comfortable. This Manza was a Safire 90 and gave us about 15 Kmpl with full AC. The car is a highway cruiser and munches miles effortlessly. My Vista (4 year old now) has been absolutely niggle free and no issues so far (touch wood). - did have a crash on 31st though (someone crashed into my stationary car! :( but another thread for that.)

You could also look at the Sunny. A friend owns this car and is mighty happy, I find it spacious and comfortable. Though I am not sure of resale value.

Also Tata has these excellent service packages. My friend has not spent a single ruppee since getting the Manza courtesy of this. I also had it for three years on my Vista. My experiences at TASS have been good so far.

Last edited by torquecurve : 3rd January 2014 at 19:02.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 19:40   #59
BHPian

A big no to the Tata Manza. It is just a bad car to me. The only thing that is good in it is the engine and you might know why.

The Nissan Sunny again, is a great car if you are a sedate driver and I have to admit that it is the best car of the lot. However, I am not really sure about the serviceability of the thing. But overall since this is the costliest diesel entry level sedan here, if your budget allows you go for it.

The DZire, please no. That thing is probably the ugliest car after the Vibe. It just doesn't make any sense buying a car of that sort.

The Amaze, well the engine's pretty good in it but again compared to the DZire it is pretty much the same with regards to the usability.

My picks here the Etios and the Verito. The only reason is reliability and comfort. If the taxi guys like them, they like them for a lot of reasons. And that probably is the very reason you dont find many Amaze, Manza and Sunny taxis down here.

So for the Etios, if you can live with totally unimaginatively designed but designed purely and crudely for function, it has to be the Etios. And it surprisingly is quite a comfortable car if you can get to an upholsterer and have him shove a little more foam into your seats you pretty much have a decent sedan for yourself. Whats bad in the Etios is the evident cost cutting.

And for the Verito, I feel it is a great car for a sedate driver again. Its got acres of usable space, the suspension is brilliant, fuel efficiency is phenomenal and is fitted with a tried and tested engine.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 20:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

The way I see it is this:
simple,
Swift D-Zire for absolute ease of maintenance and resale (new version with bluetooth, cruise control, DRLs etc coming in sometime around March)
Etios Does everything well and is a Toyota so it's reliable too but doesn't do anything exceptionally and as someone pointed out, scrapes speed breakers when loaded and the roof hampers head room too.
Tata Manza Great value for money and comfortable seats, good mile muncher, a little long in the tooth, many niggles and Tata's poor A.S.S.
Verito Irons out the poor roads, wide rear bench, solid build, proven motor, no nonsense but a little old (Dacia has already launched a new Logan for a while now abroad may not come here anytime soon but then knowing that ruins it a little)
Sunny More premium than the rest here on the inside, more roomy than anything in its segment and the segment above, comfortable ride, neutral handling, proven motor, actually good A.S.S. though parts are more expensive than most and the ride is dull. Oh and did I mention the space
Sail Why???

So there you go Manza for VFM, D-Zire for the ease of owning a Maruti, Verito for its no-nonsense package and if you've got the money, it has to be the Sunny

Attachment 1186377
That black one doesn't even look half bad (sold as the Almera in Australian turf I think)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd January 2014 at 21:00.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks