Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 21:15   #91
BHPian

Re: Comfortable Entry Level Sedan - Etios / Verito / Sail / Manza / Sunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, but how is Dzire a proper sedan? My first requirement is NO 2.5 box! It can neither accommodate people in comfort NOR carry any good amount of luggage for long hauls.

I did have a check on the new Dzire - I could NOT find any sizeable increase in rear space or luggage space. It feels airy due to the beige interiors. The initial cost or service costs of Dzire just doesn't justify as a second car in the family. The ONLY advantage I see is the better driver oriented nature of the car. But then, for me, that's more of a bonus and NOT a mandate. To me, our i20 can do a better job than Dzire for ferrying people.

I would rather call Dzire as a compact sedan and NOT an entry level sedan. I would consider Amaze more than Dzire as it has more space (both rear & luggage).
Totally in agreement about DZire & Amaze.
Sorry my bad, I was unaware of the compact sedans & entry level sedans being two separate segments.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
...Sorry my bad, I was unaware of the compact sedans & entry level sedans being two separate segments.
Technically Dzire can be considered an an entry level sedan from Maruti. I would gladly categorize the Tour as one since it's NOT a sub 4m sedan. But the new gen can't be really called one. For that matter, even Amaze should NOT be in the list, neither should Hyundai's upcoming product.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Diesel Car below 10 L INR

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasu1976 View Post
Appreciate your advice @hellmet, unfortunately every time my WagonR goes for a paid service gets a bill of 3,500 and for petrol vehicles the service needs to be happening for every 5000 Kms.

Agree that my usage is less with my ODO hitting 24000 Kms and for sure its not a typo error.

I am looking for a vehicle to start using it extensively and go for a long drive (800 Kms) once in 2 months, that was the reason I was looking for a Diesel vehicle.

While at the same time with a difference of 5 to 8 kms per liter, I feel its worth to go for diesel and I am not looking for a change in the next 7 to 8 Yrs.
Disagree. In a sedan you'll pay ~1L extra. You will even then be driving only 8800km per year (4000 + 800 X 6). That isnt enough to give up the driving pleasure of petrol for a diesel. Have you calculated thefuel/cost difference?
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 22:05   #94

Agree with BHPians who are suggesting to go with Petrol but few things I was considering going for Diesel is

1) Resale Value
2) Planning to retain the Diesel vehicle for around 6 to 8 years
3) Of-course price does matter.

I have seen 2010 Petrol SX4s not selling for even 3.5 L to 4 L

Hatchbacks are good but till its a small family when you have to travel with 5 members with good luggage you would know the pain, so this was the reason I was looking for Sedan.

Also with in 10 L you can never get an SUV except Quanto
Old 9th January 2014, 22:11   #95
BHPian

Quote:
unfortunately every time my WagonR goes for a paid service gets a bill of 3,500 and for petrol vehicles the service needs to be happening for every 5000 Kms.
Huh, that's expensive for 5K intervals. The Beat I owned used to need service at 10K km intervals only, and yes, I used to pay around 3K. But my usage was low, so I didn't bother.

You're only paying Rs.3500 once a year or so, given that you drive less than 5K annually, which is not bad . However, I understand it's your choice to upgrade, and to a diesel. I would not recommend buying a petrol ever, personally, for true cost reasons.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:25   #96

Like said I was considering to go for Diesel because of the following reasons
a) Good Resale Value
b) Planning to retain the Diesel vehicle for around 6 to 8 years which should provide me the break even.
c) Of-course price of petrol does matter. Its much costlier and yields less mileage.

In the market now a days I hear that petrol vehicles do not yield good resale value, though I am spending on initial purchase costs I still get the benefit of additional mileage and resale value.

Though petrol vehicles are cheaper by 1.5 L, the mileage is less than mentioned. Company's say it gives 16 to 17 Kms / Ltr but in reality they give only 12 to 13 Kms and on long drives they give 17 to 18 Kms.

Hope my reasoning is right to go with diesel.

I see only petrol hatchbacks give good mileage, it would be helpful if any of the Petrol Sedan owners can share their real time mileage in city and on highways.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:57   #97
BHPian

Hey srinivasu1976, you can have a look at the Honda diesel duo - Amaze and City (2014). The new City may be slightly out of your budget but then you can atleast have a look at it.

Both of them will score decently on most of your parameters.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:55   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians

I am looking for first hand diesel sedan (as Diesel SUVs come in this range) fully loaded at a price tag below 10 L INR.

Help me out.
-Srini
I would suggest the Etios itself to you

a) drive and seating comfort- Etios is spacious being a full sized sedan
b) boot space same as above
c) safety features SP package models are at par with all others
d) Mileage All ownership reviews on tbhp talk of its excellent mileage
e) Maintenance expenses lowest possible
f) resale value Toyota is the leader of resale in India

Etios lack appeal, if you can live with that, it should be perfect. Even the petrol

Check out this thread. It's got everything you need to know about long term ownership of the Etios
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0-000-kms.html
Old 10th January 2014, 12:49   #99
BHPian

As @somitra1981 said
I'd recommend you to take a look at the Honda Amaze VX i-DTEC. I guess the price comes to INR 9.5 lakhs(on road with accessories and all). That's a real good car for the money, and its very fuel efficient. Plus you get the reliability and comfort of a Honda!

You can take a good look at the Amaze review(by our guru @GTO) if you want to : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
Old 10th January 2014, 13:02   #100
BHPian

I went through your thread and it seems that the Etios would fit the bill nicely. The rear seat is spacious and Toyota has upgraded the interiors to make it look and feel a wee bit better. Of the set of cars you have shortlisted the Etios would be the cheapest to maintain with service intervals of 10k and average bills of around 3k(they clain 28-32p/km) for a service. Toyota's in general are niggle free.
Since the car would be used by your parents, the Sunny is also not a bad option. The rear seat ride could be that little bit more comfortable. Proven engine. My only grouse with Nissan is their lack of service centers around. Too few in places like NCR. And yes the insulaton levels in the Sunny are better.

Cheers
Old 10th January 2014, 13:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

At 7.4L starting price, you should also add the New Honda City into the picture.
Old 10th January 2014, 13:50   #102

I agree to what @somitra1981 and @sr_1445 are saying about Honda Amaze but 2 things for which I was away from Amaze were the Honda dealer in Bangalore was not offering good resale value for my 2008 WagonR and the Toyota dealer is offering around 30,000 INR more than Honda one.

Another reason for being away from Honda is about the maintenance, Hondas maintenance is more than Toyota and with stringent time lines. This means you can not relax the maintenance intervals, if it has to happen at 5000 Kms you can not relax it to 6000 Kms or 7000 Kms

Mainly in Amaze I feel the vehicle vibrating like nano when the engine starts and while driving you can feel the engine sound very badly. Coming to City the high end diesel is out of my budget.

Correct me if I am wrong
Old 10th January 2014, 17:51   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with BHPians who are suggesting to go with Petrol but few things I was considering going for Diesel is

1) Resale Value
2) Planning to retain the Diesel vehicle for around 6 to 8 years
3) Of-course price does matter.
Unless you really feel a need for upgrade, you should NOT do this. Your yearly running is a mere 5000 kms which NO way warrants a diesel car. It's for a reason a lot of people are advising you against a purchase now. Sorry to harp the same tune, but I am gonna put down my points.

1. Your Wagon R has still A LOT of trouble free life left in it.

2. Any new car is going to incur you LOTs of money in terms of EMIs. What is the expected EMI for the new car -- 10-15K EMI? On the other hand, your Wagon R fuel bills will be a 3K max.

3. Even if you keep your car for another 2 years, you will fetch around 1.5L is what my thoughts are. So the depreciation is NOT major after 2 years.

4. Seeing the current trend, petrol and diesel will be priced similar; so you will lose out the FE advantage - may not break even in 7 or 8 years with the kind of running.

5. Save all the money now, keep the Wagon R and buy a (compact) SUV after 2-3 years. That would be an ideal garage (if you have parking space). In the next 3 years, you will have lot more products coming out and probably there may be correction in price too once diesel demand comes down.

6. Except for Toyota, none of the other options are going to be cost effective to service. Take it from me - I have a Swift D. Expect double bills of Wagon R if you buy a Dzire.

7. I believe diesel vehicles are going to lose a bit of traction in the used market, if the fuel prices are on par. Nobody will touch a used diesel if there is NO advantage in the pumps - added maintenance is going to be deal breaker over couple of extra kmpls.

Quote:
...Hatchbacks are good but till its a small family when you have to travel with 5 members with good luggage you would know the pain, so this was the reason I was looking for Sedan.
There is NO way a Dzire would suit you for this. Please refer to "Comfortable Entry Level Sedan" thread in this very same section for options.

Quote:
...unfortunately every time my WagonR goes for a paid service gets a bill of 3,500 and for petrol vehicles the service needs to be happening for every 5000 Kms.
Since you are out of warranty period, I suggest you take it to some FNGs for service. For normal oil / filter changes, it would cost you much lesser. Every 20,000 kms, you could take it to MA$$ for a complete checking / tightening etc.

Quote:
...While at the same time with a difference of 5 to 8 kms per liter, I feel its worth to go for diesel and I am not looking for a change in the next 7 to 8 Yrs.
With the new gen petrols matching good FE with diesel, you would NOT really find a 8 kmpl difference. My take would be NOTHING more than 3 kmpl if driven the same way.

Quote:
....Another reason for being away from Honda is about the maintenance, Hondas maintenance is more than Toyota and with stringent time lines...
For any car, as long as you are in warranty period, you need to stick to the service timelines. NO two ways about it.

Quote:
.....This means you can not relax the maintenance intervals, if it has to happen at 5000 Kms you can not relax it to 6000 Kms or 7000 Kms..
Again does it really matter? Because your yearly running will be around 5000 kms and you seem to service your car on a yearly basis. More than that even Amaze has a 1 year 10,000 kms interval isn't it?

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th January 2014 at 07:04. Reason: As requested
Old 10th January 2014, 18:35   #104

@swiftnfurious, really appreciate your suggestions and thanks for that.

Though I am satisfied with all your answers, only one thing I still think is about the space.

Currently when I travel with my family (4 nos some times 5 nos), WagonR is not so comfortable mainly when I need to travel for long distances of 800 Kms to 1200 Kms.

At some point kids and family members tends to relax or sleep and frankly my WagonR isn't too comfortable but as you suggested I will look at Petrol vehicles instead of diesel.

BTW, request a quick suggestion. Will buying a diesel car help if I travel around 1000 Kms per month ?

I assume going for Etios petrol makes sense, kindly suggest me if there are better vehicles which give good mileage. I am a heavy weight champion and I really love the seating in my WagonR.
Old 10th January 2014, 19:39   #105
BHPian

Etios VD SP makes sense. I would assume that the top end Dzire ZDi and this variant of the Etios would be priced similarly. The big difference that you would notice over a 5 year ownership period is the maintenance costs. Diesel maruti's are not as cheap to maintain as a Toyota.
That kept aside, drivability of both the cars would be at par. The Dzire is not as good to drive as the swift and being a 2.5 box as compared to the Etios which boasts of great rear legroom and a humongous boot, the latter should win on most counts.
I am not sure if either of the cars are rattle free. The Maruti's ain't though they have improved considerably with this generation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks