Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2006, 08:56   #16
Team-BHP Support

Sexy body, flappy paddles, floppy wipers apart - what is new with the Civic?

Price aside, the Laura has more technological innovations !

Just keeping our feet on the ground!
Old 29th June 2006, 09:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Heart says Octavia, mind says Civic...
and looks like Team-bhp says either...
Old 29th June 2006, 09:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heart says Octavia, mind says Civic...
I'd say, you only live once. Listen to your heart! Though looks are subjective, I, personally, feel that the Octavia still looks very fresh and new and very in with the times. The Civic right now looks very futuristic but trust me, 6 months down the line, the Civic will just be another car.

And here is a tip. I was watching the review of the Civic done by whatcar and they said the digital speedo's bright blue light reflects badly into the windows at night hindering and disturbing the driver's vision. So, if you do take a test drive of the Civic, do it in the night to check that out and let us know if it's true too!

Quote:
Sexy body, flappy paddles, floppy wipers apart - what is new with the Civic?
Price aside, the Laura has more technological innovations !
ajmat, the Laura may have more technological innovations but the Civic has the Honda name. Thats enough in India.
Old 29th June 2006, 09:50   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And here is a tip. I was watching the review of the Civic done by whatcar and they said the digital speedo's bright blue light reflects badly into the windows at night hindering and disturbing the driver's vision.
THats what I was thinking as well. I had a similar problem with the gauges of the Corolla. Terrible at night on highways.
Old 29th June 2006, 10:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

You do live once... but then you buy many cars in that life...
And here there is so much confusion.... I only wish Skoda spares were more reasonable and their A S S better.

One witty thing which I would like to share with Team-BHPians is that, it is actually the Toyota radio Ad which prompted me to consider a new car at this point, else I was settled with my old car...

The Radio ad goes like this (aproximately)
I will buy a car when I get a raise...
I will buy a car when my investments mature...
I will buy a car when.... (Yawn)

Don't wait to buy a new car till you <get old>, buy a Toyota corolla now with some 2 lakh downpayment and some 18k emi, .....

Since my needs were met with my existing car, I had been deferring[FONT=Arial][/FONT] the new car for quiet a while... and I related so well to this ad, only to end up considering an Octavia or a Civic
Old 29th June 2006, 10:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

I still see the passat in Toronto today and turn my head.

I still see the Audi A3 and turn my head. (First because of the Audi badge and secondly because of the straight lines)

Did turn my head when the new civic was out and still do when a Si passes.

But Civic Si will not come to India in ages and civic sedan has already lost its charm in less than a year. Nobody even looks at it.

The WV passat is the same skoda Octavia and so is Audi A3. Still looks fresh and handsome.

Now decide which car is better.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 29th June 2006 at 10:42.
Old 29th June 2006, 12:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you. It's Fashion vs Fad... One lasts a decade while other lasts a year...

Moreover, unlike a european manufacturer, in a year or two, Honda will launch a refreshed version of Civic, which will look the current ones as outdated. Just like the new City makes the NHC look antique.

I still like the mature and elegant look of Octavia, but then it is a 10 year old model, which has been (almost) phased out in other parts of the world, but still being sold here as a mainstream model. Had the new Octavia been here at a better price and a better name, there was no thinking required. But unfortunately it's not...

Skoda has done nothing right in India, they got
Bad Strategy
Bad marketing
Bad pricing
Bad Dealership
Bad After Sales
Expensive Spares

They are only surviving because of the strong product borrowed from the elder brother (VW)... with which, had they done the right things they could have killed the competition.
Old 29th June 2006, 14:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Skoda has done nothing right in India, they got
Bad Strategy
Bad marketing
Bad pricing
Bad Dealership
Bad After Sales
Expensive Spares

They are only surviving because of the strong product borrowed from the elder brother (VW)... with which, had they done the right things they could have killed the competition.
Bad Strategy - I dont think so ...launching a frugal powerful diesel with pricing on par with petrol siblings in that segment ...was not bad startegy

Bad Marketing - Why do you that ?

Bad Pricing - This is subjective. Though I agree the prices of the Laura are on the higher side , I am satisifed with what Im getting in the Laura.

Bad Dealership - Im not covering up for Skoda but every manufacturer does have their own bad egg dealers

Bad After Sales - Same as above

Expensive Spares - I agree. But since they are all imported and attract duty..cant help it but wait till Skoda gets them localised.

I say Go for a 1.8T ....will give you max drivng pleasure..the Civic hasnt been kaunched and I cant comment on that.
Old 29th June 2006, 14:45   #24
BHPian

In-dated Palio/Petra nothing but exploitation BY uninformed Indian customer
Old 30th June 2006, 10:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

IMHO with correct strategies, Skoda could have churned the market with the excellent product that they have...
Look at Laura - an amazing product, but what a sick name they choose! and on top of that a pricing which most people feel is a rip off...

They are already expensive and with the new insurance rules, (considering their expensive spare parts) the insurance for Skoda would just become too expensive and make it incompetitive.

I am quiet sure that very soon, in 2-3 years, stripped of model of Laura will be launched and present octavia will be phased out - because the competition is getting tougher...

With Honda at least I know that the new Civic launch will be after next 5 year, but then again there will be a refreshed version in 2-3 years...

Anyway, based on team's feedback I decided to wait for CIVIC launch to finally make up my mind.

In BLR it is launching on 10th July, where as in Delhi it will launch on 4th.
Request a BHPian from Delhi to please write a review of test drive
with special focus on handling, suspension over bad broken roads, performance, brakes, comfort, etc.
And also please check if all 6 colours are available from beginning...

Last edited by Rtech : 30th June 2006 at 10:22.
Old 30th June 2006, 15:01   #26
BHPian

While you await the Civic launch, I suggest you go look at and test-drive a RS (recommend red or yellow), not the stripped down Rider version. You won't want any other car thereafter.
Old 30th June 2006, 17:46   #27
BHPian

Can't say about status and all but Civic is no match to the superb (0-100 in 9 secs) performance of RS 1.8 Turbo. Civic will always be behind this Octy, well, at least Indian 140hp Civic!
Old 30th June 2006, 18:45   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Bad Strategy
I agree with more or less everything that you have to say, BAD STRATEGY is far far away when you consider the Octavia's case. From where i see it, it has been the best marketing strategy ever adopted in the Indian Automotive scene. Skoda played it real smart by pricing car significantly lower as the Accord (backed by the honda name) and the Sonata (spoof of jaguar) had already been launched and were doing respectable numbers, especially the Sonata. Skoda knew that it would be difficult to sell a car by their name at anywhere around 14-15 lakhs, simple then, get a diesel powerplant, price it real low and recover in spares (which the consumer realises only after a long time after the launch).
If Skoda would have launched by their schedule (sometime in 2000 - a little before the accord and sonata) there could have been a totally differnet story.

manson.
Old 30th June 2006, 19:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't say about status and all but Civic is no match to the superb (0-100 in 9 secs) performance of RS 1.8 Turbo. Civic will always be behind this Octy, well, at least Indian 140hp Civic!
Isn't that obvious?? A Turbo 1.8 vs a NA 1.8. What r we comparing here guys.

ST7677 mate, just go with what you feel would be the right car for you. In this case (where both cars have equal advantages and disadvantages), the more you ask people the more confused you'l get.

Don't push it further, just go and book a car, they're both good and you won't regret buying any off the 2.

Shan2nu
Old 30th June 2006, 20:35   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Honda Civic has a flat floor at rear. I.e it does not have the hump in the floor where middle (of 3) passenger sits...
its a front wheel drive car. the hump is usually present in rear wheel drive cars, housing the drive-shaft that is used to turn the rear wheels.

Most Viewed