GXI 23 51.11%
VTEC 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 17:08   #1
BHPian

honda city GXI or VTEC

hello all
i have posted a poll and i want help from you to decide, while buying honda city, between GXI and VTEC

the car is for my parents and will be used to drive 400 kms/week.

here is the link to honda city website. you can check the specs.
http://www.hondacarindia.com/city/

my question to all of you is just for the few differences except for the major engine difference should i pay up 80000 rs more.

VTEC comes with alloys while GXI doesnt. though the tire config for both is same. 175/65 R14 tubeless.

if i have to buy a GXI and go in for 5 branded alloy wheels from market , how much should it cost me.

VTEC has rear for lamps and rear brakes are disc brakes. GXI has none of both.

VTEC has a double din player while GXI comes with a single DIN player. can one of ICE guys explain the diffrence between double din and single din to me.

the main reason to choose GXI over a VTEc would be the mileage. i have heard that VTEC gives very less mileage and GXI gives a very good mileage. with the rising petrol prices this becomes one of the criteria to choose a GXI. can users of VTEC confirm this.

the second help i would need is i m getting a discount of 5% on the finance and a dealer discount of 19000 rs on both the variants.

kindly tell me if this is a right amount or should i expect a bit more as a dealer discount.

i hope i get some good answers as my decision would be influenced, to a large extent by the opinions i get from here.

Thanks

Shubbhi

Last edited by manaa45 : 27th June 2006 at 17:10.
Old 27th June 2006, 17:47   #2
BHPian

For performance with good fuel efficiency : VTEC
For outstanding fuel efficiency: iDSI

Since your parents will be using this car, i would suggest Gxi. Rear disc brakes is not a very important feature. It doesn't improve braking substantially. A double din player allows you to play cassettes. So if you have lot of tapes and not yet converted them into cds, then this is the player for you. A single din player only plays cds.

And you are getting an awesome discount for a Honda!!! How did you manage that !
Old 27th June 2006, 18:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiking
For performance with good fuel efficiency : VTEC
For outstanding fuel efficiency: iDSI

Since your parents will be using this car, i would suggest Gxi. Rear disc brakes is not a very important feature. It doesn't improve braking substantially. A double din player allows you to play cassettes. So if you have lot of tapes and not yet converted them into cds, then this is the player for you. A single din player only plays cds.

And you are getting an awesome discount for a Honda!!! How did you manage that !
thks a lot for ur opinions

being member of tbhp helped. i flaunted that i m a member of a huge automobile forum without even naming tbhp and he must have left the idea of fooling me.

thks any ways

shubbhi
Old 27th June 2006, 18:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Getting a Vtec NHC for almost a lakh more is not worth it IMO. Especially since your Dad will be driving it and his main concern is not performance.

I say if you are going to pick up a NHC, get the Non-Vtec one and save a bundle. It does what its supposed to do very well.
Old 27th June 2006, 19:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Rtech & wiking here you don't need to buy the VTEC, the GXi would do a equally good job for much less money. Your father would probably never need the extra performance and only the rear discs are not going to have a huge difference on the braking too. I have bought my uncle a Exi recently and he's been very happy with the ease of driving, comfort and reliability of the car.

5 Branded alloy wheels would cost you around 15-20k depending on brand & design. If you want better tyres that would be extra but I don't think that is required. Rear fog lamps are also not a very vital feature. As wiking has correctly pointed out the 2-din Alpine stereo will let you play both CD's & cassettes whereas the single din Alpine will only play CD's.

As for the discount if you shop around with the different dealers in Mumbai I think you can easily get upto 5-10k more.
Old 27th June 2006, 19:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get the Gxi, i don't think your parents would mind a 77bhp car (as long as it gets them where they want to go).

Apart from the engine (and a few accessories) both cars are similar.

Shan2nu
Old 27th June 2006, 20:33   #7
BHPian

i am buying honda city zx gxi mt from prime honda for around 7.4L on road price... they r not giving me any discount on the car except discount given by finance company on loan... they r saying that honda dont give any discount on its cars... but after reading on tbhp that people r getting discount of 25k, i want to know whether that dealer is cheating me or what?? im booking in 1 week.
thanks in advance

Last edited by F50 : 27th June 2006 at 20:40.
Old 27th June 2006, 21:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.agl
i am buying honda city zx gxi mt from prime honda for around 7.4L on road price... they r not giving me any discount on the car except discount given by finance company on loan... they r saying that honda dont give any discount on its cars... but after reading on tbhp that people r getting discount of 25k, i want to know whether that dealer is cheating me or what?? im booking in 1 week.
thanks in advance
Ankit the buggers are cheating you. I have bought two cars from Prime and the last Exi I bought from them I took a combined discount of Rs. 47,000/-. GO deal with Vikram Batra/Vinod Chainani in Prime and tell them that you are a friend of Ishan Raghava's i.e. me and tell them I told you that you will surely get a discount from them or I will get some other Honda dealer to give you a better deal. They should wilt and give you a discount and when they do take that figure inflate it by 10,000/- and call up Southend Honda and tell them that you are a old customer of Prime but are not happy with them. Now you need to buy another car and Prime is offering you this much discount and if they can better it you would like to give them your business. This will work wonders and once they get back to you with a better figure, go to the third dealer Ring Road Honda repeat the same story as told to the earlier dealer and again inflate the figure by 10,000/- and by the day's you would have a decent discount savings on your hand with which you can give us Delhi T-BHP members a nice daaru party!!!!

I know it sounds a little complicated but all you have to do is make a few phone calls and within one day you will have a lovely saving. Also at Southend/Ring Road insist on speaking to the Sales Manager only since it will cut your discussions short. Speaking to the salesmen will only lengthen the process.

If still you are not able to get a discount give me a call and I will help you out with it.

Last edited by iraghava : 27th June 2006 at 21:09.
Old 27th June 2006, 23:03   #9
BHPian

Hi Manaa,
First of all ask ur parents what are their requirements like comfort ,performance & so?

I think if they don need performance then GXi Is better as i have heard tht vtec city comes with stiff suspension to handle the power which make the ride & comfort a little on harsh side as compared to city GXi.
In terms of looks vtec is more of a looker due to the foglamps.
But the 1 lakh price diff is juz not worth in my opinion.

BTW as owners say the new City Vtec does return good fe wrt other cars in its class.Heres an ownership report by a fellow member

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...ikes-back.html

Last edited by hari_rama : 27th June 2006 at 23:21.
Old 28th June 2006, 10:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Well manaa,
i suggest that your parents go for the City GXi (go for the CVT if they drive) as they would not make any use of the extra 23BHP.
You can get good alloy wheels and better 14" tyres for less the 20K after exchange.
The double din player is basically twice the height of the single din player and comes with a cassette player which is not offered on the GXi.
Also, there is no major difference in FE between the 2 variants thanks to the VTEC technology. The difference would be around 0.5kmpl.
Old 28th June 2006, 10:23   #11
BHPian

If you compare what the VTEC has over the Gxi

Equipment:
- Fog lamps front and rear - 12k approx
- Alloys - set of 5 - 10-15k approx
- Rear disc brakes - dont know if these can be fitted on the Gxi
- Optitron meter - nice to look at, but cant be refitted onto Gxi
- Cassete player alongwith MP3/FM - do you really have loads of cassettes to play
- Odd bits and pieces of cosmetics which make little difference.

So in all, you are paying 50k for the engine and ~30-40k for the equipments.

To compare the engines

VTEC is a blast to drive anywhere in the city or highway, having good low-end and awesome high-end torque. It does all this while returning an FE of ~11-13 kmpl with AC in city (depends on driving conditions). Though suspension is a bit stiffer, one cant really notice the difference.

Gxi/iDSI is decent to drive in the city, and adequate on the highways - unless one is a very demanding driver. FE would be around 12-14 kmpl with AC in city (depends on driving conditions).

Bottom-line: if your dad/mom loves to drive, get them a VTEC; else Gxi is good enough.
Old 28th June 2006, 14:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
If still you are not able to get a discount give me a call and I will help you out with it.
kindly provide me with ur phone number...
thanks
Old 28th June 2006, 14:47   #13
BHPian

i just talked to Mr Vikram Batra, prime honda ghaziabad and he said that no discount is possible on sale in ghaziabad... he is also saying that u must havent got a discount of rs. 47000.. he said that u may have got it including the discount given by finance company... plz help me.. prices are increasing from 1 july..... company is not giving any discount on city zx
Old 28th June 2006, 15:45   #14
BHPian

for me this is a no brainer. its gotta b VTEC. i gues there is not much difference in their FE as well. for something like 1-2 kmpl why do u want a less peppier engine. the beauty of a powerful engine is not 2 b on redline always but get that extra punch while overtaking on highway or overtaking while climbing up the bridge. sometimes its good 2 have those extra horses under the bonnet.
Old 28th June 2006, 15:59   #15
BHPian

thks all for your replies. but after lot of thinking, it is leaving me more confused as my "dil" drifts towards vtec but my "dimag" says go for GXI.

the basic criteria here is that the car is gonna be driven by the driver who will do the driving for about 8 out of 10 times.

other two times will be me

so i feel that GXI should be ok except the one glitch i find after reading the opinions here is that GXI will come with a single Din player and my mom dad still listen to cassettes. they have got a huge collection of them.

may be i can ask them to charge me more and give me a double din player. let me see.

thks anyways

Shubbhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks