Honda City SV AT 83 31.32%
Vento DSG Petrol 96 36.23%
Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 34 12.83%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 12:43   #271
BHPian

Re: Choosing an all-rounder under 10L

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 29th February 2016 at 16:45.
polo_ankit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th February 2016, 12:57   #272
mxh
BHPian

I has a similar budget when I was looking for a new car and settled for a Honda City S MT Petrol but this isn't without its own set of issues- see my previous posts for details. Overall the strongest points about the City are its high revving engine and huge space. However if you are developing problems with your knees I would definitely not recommend the City since the gearbox and clutch combination isn't smooth. Consider Ford Aspire AT instead, I test drove it and found the engine to be adequately powerful, the ride is good and the feature list long, since it's a sub 4m car. I would recommend an Aspire AT over a Jazz or Polo any day. The Jazz CVT is way too boring and underpowered, and very expensive for what you get. The Polo is a decent car but is going to be expensive to service and maintain and is very low on space. The new Baleno, IMO, is just a horrible light weight tin can which shouldn't even be considered and gives the old Baleno a bad name.
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 13:09   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
Can someone help me?
My pick would be the Creta. Very modern, good refined petrol engine, and a good highway cruiser. Even the S-Cross 1.3 Diesel should be good, if you are looking at diesel.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 14:47   #274
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for suggesting Nexon, but it is expected next year which is too late. I want to get rid of my Wagon-R soon.
Yes Nexon was scheduled for launch in the next year but news is there that it is going to be launched prior to kite 5 and in the last quarter of this year only. May be the festive season this year.

As you mentioned, I too agree that a CS or a crossover would be an ideal choice if you intend to keep it for atleast 7 years.

You could wait for the Brezza too, if you are willing to opt for a diesel mill. A trustworthy engine and a very familier tag.

Regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 16:11   #275
BHPian

There are no two ways about it. In my humble opinion, you should go for the VW Polo GT TSI. This car is a hoot and a half ! Moreover, I don't think that seating should be an issue (at least on the driver seat not sure about large passengers sitting behind though). Why don't you request a test drive and see for yourself in person. I would also suggest to not try the regular Polo else you would be unfairly put off, do test drive the GT TSI specifically. (Many dealers do not have the GT TSI for test drives and push people to try the regular Polo. In all fairness, most do not know the absolute difference between the two cars.) As far as the gas mileage is concerned, if you are OK with 11 kpl with the Wagon R you would more than be OK with the TSI. Maintenance costs would be higher compared to Maruti so take that into account too.
RocketRaccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 16:59   #276
BHPian

Hi,
As you want a car with a higher seating position, and if the budget can be stretched, my suggestion is to go for Hyundai Creta or Mahindra TUV 3OO. These two cars, fulfills all of your requirements. Maruti S-Cross can be another option, considering they are giving heavy discounts on them.
Amit_Kapoor4750 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 18:26   #277
BHPian

First off thanks for the overwhelming response to my first ever post. It's truly humbling. I mean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
S-Cross suits your requirements ... then the Avventura T-Jet should be an absolute blast... If you are looking into the used market, you cannot go wrong with a CR-V.
I'm ruling out pre-owned right now due to multiple reasons, accounting perpective being main among them. Avventura and S-Cross doesn't have AT yet, so I'll consider it if I decide to go for MT. My heart is still asking for an automatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nndp87 View Post
I would suggest you to Test Drive Mahindra TUV 3OO.
If I understand correctly the ladder-frame of TUV is designed having off-roads in mind, otherwise a good package. Secondly, their AMT is likely to have the turbo lag. If I decide to go for MT I'll give it another thought. It doesn't have NCAP ratings yet but Mahindra is known for rugged vehicles. Thanks for sharing detailed observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As noopster mentioned, dont think you need to be too constrained with your choices due to seating position. Should be an easy adjustment. Cars like Polo and Baleno are not that low when compared to wagon r.

In summary it is difficult to recommend 1or 2 cars. Suggest you look at the compact suv's followed by the hatches and sedans and come up with a shortlist of 4-5 cars.
Just want to clarify on the seating position bit. I found Jazz, Figo/Aspire, Zest all high enough coming from Wagon-R. I also have recurring case of lower back strain for which I use extra lumbar support device in my seat. I presume low-seating like i20/Baleno won't help either with back or knee pain.

There are not many options for 5+ speed automatic in sub-10L. Lots of options in manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I would recommend an Aspire AT over a Jazz or Polo any day. The Jazz CVT is way too boring and underpowered, and very expensive for what you get.
Thanks for your insight. Jazz felt underpowered to me too. It even scratched speed-breaker twice during TD with only two on board. I'm looking forward to a longer test drive on Aspire AT. For my low monthly run, it helps that Ford has 1 year/10k km service schedule, unlike Honda which requires service every 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My pick would be the Creta. Very modern, good refined petrol engine, and a good highway cruiser. Even the S-Cross 1.3 Diesel should be good, if you are looking at diesel.
Creta AT is 17L+ OTR in Bangalore. The minimum MT with airbags+ABS going above 14L OTR is also bit over-budget. Thanks for sharing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Yes Nexon was scheduled for launch in the next year but news is there that it is going to be launched prior to kite 5 and in the last quarter of this year only. May be the festive season this year.

You could wait for the Brezza too, if you are willing to opt for a diesel mill. A trustworthy engine and a very familier tag.
The festive season also looks so far away now! Brezza 1.6 looks very tempting. I hope it's based on the same Vitara that was rated 5 stars in EuroNCAP last year. Then it's worth waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
Sorry mods, my answer is short.

GT TSI. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
There are no two ways about it. In my humble opinion, you should go for the VW Polo GT TSI. This car is a hoot and a half ! Maintenance costs would be higher compared to Maruti so take that into account too.
I wish I had the clarity of thought like you both! My impression of TSI being purely an enthusiast machine (great performance, low mileage), not sure I'd like to keep it for 7-8 years. But since options are limited for automatic in my budget (AMTs don't count, neither do 4-speed boxes of Hyundai), I need to give TSI a fair chance. Thanks for sharing.
jampot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 18:58   #278
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to upgrade to something I plan to keep for 7-8 years
My suggestion is to test drive Ertiga or TUV 300 as it suits your requirements.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 19:04   #279
Team-BHP Support

I'm tempted to recommend the GT TSI but I won't. It just doesn't have the space and I suspect that accommodation is a critical factor for your purchase.

Since space and accommodation is priority, I'd suggest you look at either the Jazz or the Baleno. Both are great, contemporary, feature-packed, spacious, practical cars and aren't boring to drive either.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 19:36   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Creta AT is 17L+ OTR in Bangalore. The minimum MT with airbags+ABS going above 14L OTR is also bit over-budget. Thanks for sharing though.
Sorry I did not realize about AT being a critical requirement. You should then surely look at the Figo or Aspire AT for petrol. A 1.5L Petrol with 110BHP with an AT box. Good for city and highways. Well stocked from a features point of view as well. If you need more space, Jazz is also an option. But I dont know how well the 1.2 pulls on the highway with the AT box.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 19:50   #281
BHPian

Jampot, considering all your request and assuming some of your requirements I suggest u check out the following cars
1. TATA Bolt : A very high seating and good dynamics in the highways. It ticks all the boxes you need.
2. Ford Figo : It's in many ways better than the bolt.

But like me you too seem to be used to the tall seating of the wagonr so I suggest the Bolt itself .
just_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 20:01   #282
BANNED

Hi jampot,
I don't know how automatic is supposed to reduce RIGHT knee pain? I have a manual Zen and automatic Aspire, I get Right knee pain after driving Aspire for long, whereas it was Left knee pain with Zen ! I guess I need an autonomous car!!! Get your knee checked up by a good orthopedician, you may need MRI of knee. Coming to Aspire, it just suits your requirement and is a newer car, whereas Polo TSI is at the fag end of its life cycle and after 7 years it will be too old generation when you put it up for sale. Besides you will be saving ₹ 2 lakhs on Aspire, as your are not a hard core enthusiast, TSI can be given a miss.

The Rationalist
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 20:50   #283
BHPian

Go for the Aspire. It suits your requirements to the T. I am a Ford owner, and I can safely say that when it comes to maintenance, Fords won't burn a hole in your pocket.

The Aspire is a great family car. Your budget allows you to buy the top trim with all the safety features (the optional one with 6 airbags), and that, is a huge plus point. High speed stability, though not as great as the ol' Fords, is certainly very good and one of the best in segment. The Figo will do just fine, but as you have a decent budget, the extra boot space in the Aspire certainly won't hurt.

The Polo GT is a very good car in its own right. But it disappoints badly when it comes to rear seat space. You can have a look at the Vento. Though above your budget, would be a very sensible buy.

If you weren't fixated on an AT, S-Cross would have been my first choice.

If I were you, I would wait for the Nexon.

Cheers and happy shopping. Keep us updated.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 27th February 2016 at 20:53.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 01:26   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should then surely look at the Figo or Aspire AT for petrol. If you need more space, Jazz is also an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'd suggest you look at either the Jazz or the Baleno.
I'm seriously considering Aspire AT. But I let go Jazz CVT due to lack of power and Baleno due to low seating along with lack of NCAP rating (I found lot of concerns on the Baleno review thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_in View Post
TATA Bolt : A very high seating and good dynamics in the highways. It ticks all the boxes you need.
Bolt doesn't have AT. I've already considered Zest AMT which is a segment higher. Thanks for sharing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I don't know how automatic is supposed to reduce RIGHT knee pain? I have a manual Zen and automatic Aspire, I get Right knee pain after driving Aspire for long, whereas it was Left knee pain with Zen ! I guess I need an autonomous car!!! Get your knee checked up by a good orthopedician, you may need MRI of knee. Coming to Aspire, it just suits your requirement and is a newer car, whereas Polo TSI is at the fag end of its life cycle and after 7 years it will be too old generation when you put it up for sale. Besides you will be saving ₹ 2 lakhs on Aspire, as your are not a hard core enthusiast, TSI can be given a miss.
My first post was as much about 'MT vs AT' as it was about 'choosing an all-rounder'. So I am really glad someone finally could relate to my knee issues, because this is really key to the decision of going for an automatic. I know if I let go the AT requirement, the options are much more.

I did check with a senior ortho, who didn't find anything serious from scans except for a bit gap in the joint. He suggested few exercises and some painkillers when needed. The pain was never enough (even after driving 400 km) to warrant a pill.

I just didn't want to aggravate the knee issue further so thought of automatic. The initial logic was: if there is no frequent gear change as in manual the right-leg will get some respite from continuous use of A/B-pedal. On the other hand, I'm now realizing that clutch can actually reduce the use of A-pedal in some cases. For example, in Figo 1.5D test drive the car was almost jumping from second gear on releasing brake, without touching the accelerator. I almost felt like the second gear in TDCi behaves like an automatic in touch-n-go traffic.

I also like your take on TSI being in the fag end of life reducing its future resale value. This may further tilt the case in favor of Aspire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Go for the Aspire. It suits your requirements to the T. I am a Ford owner, and I can safely say that when it comes to maintenance, Fords won't burn a hole in your pocket.

If you weren't fixated on an AT, S-Cross would have been my first choice.

If I were you, I would wait for the Nexon.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. I'll be looking at S-Cross only when I let go the AT requirement. Again, Nexon is too far away! I'm not sure if I'll even wait till the Brezza launch next month.
jampot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 05:53   #285
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention: Do check to see if Chevrolet has any leftover stock of pre-facelifted Cruze in automatic guise. May not be the best in its segment but a D-Segment car is still a notch above the rest in terms of build, quality and dynamic ability
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks