Honda City SV AT 83 31.32%
Vento DSG Petrol 96 36.23%
Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 34 12.83%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2014, 08:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

Just saw an online youtube video that drove the Vento Tsi on the Budh Intl Circuit. As per the reviewer the car is not as much fun to drive as Polo GT Tsi and that it takes 2 seconds more to a ton at 12 seconds vis a vis Polo GT Tsi that takes 10.

Should I sacrifice the boot and have 2 small cars in the family (I do need the boot). Also would ppl (avg Joe) think I am crazy spending 10 lakhs on a small petrol hatch?

How much does the Polo DSG box cost, read on some thread that Skoda box costs 6.5 lakhs

2 Lakh or thereabouts I can afford to replace, but 6.5 lakhs...
Old 26th May 2014, 12:15   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I am a little worried would VW bring the new engines with the facelift, that is detune the 1.2 TSi to 90 PS? Please GTO others, kindly confirm.
I don't think there are any plans to detune the TSI. Only the new 1.5TDI is expected in 2 states of tune.

Quote:
Also please confirm is 97 octane fuel a must? I don't want any extra cost for higher octane fuel. But reading ownership experience it looks like guys are going for higher octane fuel or the power/mileage taking a beating. This could be a deal breaker for me.
I use normal fuel and have not seen an impact on mileage or performance. I did try premium fuel a couple of times and did not notice any difference for my style of driving.

Quote:
Just saw an online Youtube video that drove the Vento Tsi on the Budh Intl Circuit. As per the reviewer the car is not as much fun to drive as Polo GT Tsi and that it takes 2 seconds more to a ton at 12 seconds vis a vis Polo GT Tsi that takes 10.

Should I sacrifice the boot and have 2 small cars in the family (I do need the boot). Also would ppl (avg Joe) think I am crazy spending 10 lakhs on a small petrol hatch?

How much does the Polo DSG box cost, read on some thread that Skoda box costs 6.5 lakhs

2 Lakh or thereabouts I can afford to replace, but 6.5 lakhs...
I don't think you should decide based on one comment from a reviewer. On a race track the polo tsi would be better because of its shorter wheelbase and better handling. But in real world driving, as I mentioned earlier, the difference is negligible. I suggest you get hold of a test drive car and try it for yourself to make sure you are are satisfied.

Majority of the people will not understand DSG's and TSI's. So irrespective of the Polo or Vento, you are going to hear comments from the avg joe.

I think the whole box costs something in the range of 2L. With extended warranty now available you wont need to worry for 4 yrs.
Old 26th May 2014, 12:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

One car you all have missed out is the Scorpio AT which is also priced marginally more than the Verna AT, but has a 6 speed gearbox. The Tata Zest with a diesel AMT is also due to be launched soon.
Old 26th May 2014, 16:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
One car you all have missed out is the Scorpio AT which is also priced marginally more than the Verna AT, but has a 6 speed gearbox. The Tata Zest with a diesel AMT is also due to be launched soon.
I am strictly averse to Scorpio or Verna AT (spelt sluggish). I am looking for a daily commute in a crowded City. Somehow for me MAH vehicles never made the cut. And given that its going to be my daily drive, such a large vehicle is out of the picture!
Old 26th May 2014, 21:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Now what I am about to write is going to sound like a joke to the uninitiated. However for someone who has been on TBHP since 2005 and has driven cars across continents please treat my observations with some credibility.

Today on insistence of my friend we visited an Audi showroom to test drive Audi A4. The budget is an incremental leap and we were not serious. But I am not very far off the corporate ladder to own one of these. Long story short I drove the 2.0 177 bhp version. I am not going to comment on interiors, audio quality (I didn't check) or handling (didn't have twists) but purely from an acceleration point of view the car was a big let down. The multitronic (not a dual clutch) is no way near the fun of the DSG (7 speed) on offer in Polo/Vento.

Trust me, the Polo drive brought a smile on my face. But the Audi drive brought no smile. The car also bottoms out so you have to be careful on speed breakers. Maybe I was expecting more from 177 bhp and 1600 kg kerb weight, but truly it was just ok. Not worth the 30 big ones it demands. Not worth at all. I am not talking about snob value or the brand, just the plain old driving experience.

Maybe Polo GT surprised me as I wasn't expecting much and Audi A4 disappointed me as I was expecting a big kick (maybe like Pontiac where your head hits the headrest). But no go. I would let GTO and other comment, but for me, I was sorely disappointed.

For me, DSG was so much more fun and the Polo felt eager to accelerate and definitely more nimble and you could feel the speed. In Audi maybe the experience was more sedate and muted.

Wow, I mean really wow, I still cant believe I am writing this. I would let the experts comment.

Last edited by aseem : 26th May 2014 at 22:12.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 22:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now what I am about to write is going to sound like a joke to the uninitiated. However for someone who has been on TBHP since 2005 and has driven cars across continents please treat my observations with some credibility.

Today on insistence of my friend we visited an Audi showroom to test drive Audi A4. The budget is an incremental leap and we were not serious. But I am not very far off the corporate ladder to own one of these. Long story short I drove the 2.0 177 bhp version. I am not going to comment on interiors, audio quality (I didn't check) or handling (didn't have twists) but purely from an acceleration point of view the car was a big let down. The triptronic (not a dual clutch) is no way near the fun of the DSG (7 speed) on offer in Polo/Vento.

Wow, I mean really wow, I still cant believe I am writing this. I would let the experts comment.
You aren't very far off the mark Audis come with an annoying cvt and you would have hated it even more in the corners. However, if you do have the budget, why not just buy a Jetta 2.0 tdi with dsg? It won't disappoint like the Audi did
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 22:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You aren't very far off the mark Audis come with an annoying cvt and you would have hated it even more in the corners. However, if you do have the budget, why not just buy a Jetta 2.0 tdi with dsg? It won't disappoint like the Audi did
The Jetta is almost 24 lakhs on road Bangalore, a manual Q3 can be had for 26. So not really looking forward to spend that much dough on a car thats due a refresh. Plus I am changing cities, would be renting accommodation and need to have more money in hand. Just not prepared to take this big a leap. Specially when this cars can be had for 18-19 in Gurgaon.

Lot of my friends suggesting an upgrade, I am contemplating buying something small like a Polo or Vento TSi and upgrade later to something big with my 2nd car. I would always need 2 cars. I am not brave enough, its just a mental block, had it been Delhi I would have done it with my eyes closed.
Old 27th May 2014, 09:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how much of this is true, but as per Cars Guide Australia the 2014 Polo will come with adaptive cruise control, and a reversing camera will be available for the first time. If so, it will click all the boxes required for me. Could someone please confirm India launch date?
Old 27th May 2014, 10:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure how much of this is true, but as per Cars Guide Australia the 2014 Polo will come with adaptive cruise control, and a reversing camera will be available for the first time. If so, it will click all the boxes required for me. Could someone please confirm India launch date?
Lol such things will not come in India. Several cars out there come with adaptive cruise control in the global market but honestly, how do you think that's going to work in India? Simply wait for the facelifted Polo, you will get big discounts on the old one and then buy a Polo GT. With the money you save, you can buy a Baupunkt Philadelphia head unit and a reverse camera
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 10:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am not looking for adaptive cruise control. But just regular cruise control, is this hoping too much?
I will in all likelihood go for the new Polo/Vento, whats the point saving 1 lakh odd and not get a new thing. Keeping fingers crossed till september.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:18   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Lol such things will not come in India. Several cars out there come with adaptive cruise control in the global market but honestly, how do you think that's going to work in India? Simply wait for the facelifted Polo, you will get big discounts on the old one and then buy a Polo GT. With the money you save, you can buy a Baupunkt Philadelphia head unit and a reverse camera
hey is that true ? if the new car is officially announced and then I go to book the older model from existing stocks will I get big discounts ? how much discount can I expect ?
Old 28th May 2014, 17:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
hey is that true ? if the new car is officially announced and then I go to book the older model from existing stocks will I get big discounts ? how much discount can I expect ?
Yup! Well it depends from model to model, from brand to brand, based on the market's demands and amount of stock left. I would say anywhere between 50 thousand to 1 lakh for a car like the VW Polo
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

If one does buy Skoda Octavia 2.0 CR DSG for 22 on road Bangalore what is the expected resale in 3 years time?
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If one does buy Skoda Octavia 2.0 CR DSG for 22 on road Bangalore what is the expected resale in 3 years time?
I was looking at used Laura a few days ago and saw quotes from 14-16 lakhs for 2011 L&K version,most quotes being between 14-14.5. This was around 23L OTR Bangalore in 2011.

So you'll get around 60-65% of otr at the time of resale. It also depends on other things like kms clocked,condition,accidents, warranty etc.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I was looking at used Laura a few days ago and saw quotes from 14-16 lakhs for 2011 L&K version,most quotes being between 14-14.5. This was around 23L OTR Bangalore in 2011.

So you'll get around 60-65% of otr at the time of resale. It also depends on other things like kms clocked,condition,accidents, warranty etc.
I saw a lot of Superb TSi's for 10 lakhs, so thought maybe Octavia would go for 6 lakhs or thereabouts. Your post makes my heart settle a little bit.

Now a million dollar question, should I go for Octavia Top Model Tsi 1.8 or should I go for Diesel middle model DSG. The cost different is 90k on road, with TSi being more expensive.

I am primarily looking for fun to drive, but resale is important, as I would be breaking the bank :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks