Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 34 12.83%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 13:05   #316
BHPian

Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Baleno is a CVT. It already existed in the Delta Variant (2nd variant from the bottom), Now they have launched it in the next higher variant.

Still not available with the top variant.
I doubt Maruti would ever make the Baleno CVT available on the Alpha trim. It has more to do with the "sticker pinch" effect than anything else. The Zeta CVT would be around 9 L on-road in cities like Bengaluru. They would not want that on-road price to touch the million rupee mark on the alpha. Perception more than anything else.
Also the zeta has most of the features which are available in Alpha, the notable omission being the Car Play enable ICE. So in the long term, this is the highest variant on which they would offer their CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
That's true. I think I'll give it a chance if I get some good discount.

Yesterday, I casually visited a used car dealer opposite to my regular supermarket. They happened to have a Vento Petrol AT (1.6L). With the driver seat height adjustment I could find comfortable driving position easily. It's not that low seating and there's decent space in the back as well. I took it out for a short test drive around that area. I liked the comfort and handling but the engine lacked the punch to my liking. I think the TSI engine should take care of that, but it's going bit over budget. I'll still test drive it anyway next week.
Good to hear that. I am sure you would find the TSI a lot more fun as compared to the 1.6 L AT.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:49   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
That's true. I think I'll give it a chance if I get some good discount.

Yesterday, I casually visited a used car dealer opposite to my regular supermarket. They happened to have a Vento Petrol AT (1.6L). With the driver seat height adjustment I could find comfortable driving position easily. It's not that low seating and there's decent space in the back as well. I took it out for a short test drive around that area. I liked the comfort and handling but the engine lacked the punch to my liking. I think the TSI engine should take care of that, but it's going bit over budget. I'll still test drive it anyway next week.
Here in NCR dealers are offering a cash discount of 75K if you bargain hard on the TSI. IF you are willing to buy a 2015 end manufactured car, the discount can go upto 1L.

I have booked a Vento TSI HL yesterday with an overall cash discount of 75K with delivery promised in ttwo weeks. Drove every automatic around under 20L, which included the following:

Verna: pathetic gearbox and lacklustre petrol engine

Duster AMT: Wouldnt touch one post my TD even if someone gave it to me for free

Creta AT- Good car (not great) ticks all boxes but lacks soul. Plus its grossly overpriced IMHO at close to 17 big ones, coupled with a 4 month waiting list (BTW, this waiting is artificial since if you commit to buy insurance and accessories worth 50K from dealer, they will conjure up a car for you out of thin air and deliver in a week!

XUV- very very nice, loved the drive, but its 18OTR and not registerable in NCR....so my first choice goes out of the window!

City CVT/Jazz CVT- verry flimsy build quality. while the CVT box is quite acceptable for sedate driving, on a spirited run, its seems a bit confused. overall not too involving to drive.

Ciaz AT- Again that 4 speed AT seems archaic in today's day and age

Vento TSI- what can i say- One drive and i was smitten. That engine and DSG combo is sublime, ride is near perfect, handling is great and is the only one that induced a big smile post TD. The interior quality and finish is great, but one gripe I had was that the door arm rests are not padded- big miss IMHO. Bit worried about the GC since i have been driving SUVS forr the last 10 years, but nothing that I cannot live with.

so my suggestion is to give the vento a long hard look. do an extended TD of the TSI- its available in comfortline and highline trim so you have options based on your budget.

Cheers!
himanshugoswami is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2016, 00:26   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Here in NCR dealers are offering a cash discount of 75K if you bargain hard on the TSI. IF you are willing to buy a 2015 end manufactured car, the discount can go upto 1L.
Cheers!
That's pretty good overview of current status of automatics and a good endorsement of Vento TSI.

I'm trying to get a TD arranged for past two weeks. My travel schedule is coming in between (I'll be away again for another week) :(

I read quite a few concerns on DSG reliability, but most of them are few years old. Did VW fix those concerns? Is there any additional warranty on the DSG?
jampot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 23:24   #319
BHPian

Due to travel and other deadlines couldn't take any other test drive. My mind was almost fixed on settling for the Aspire AT (or Vento TSI if budget permitted). However, my wife was not keen on having a sedan. So the only option left for my budget was the EcoSport AT, which I really liked for safety, handling, driving position, ground clearance and other rich feature set. Although the EcoSport TD was not exciting in terms of initial torque I wanted to have another go. It was possible that the test vehicle was not well tuned (it already had 28K on the odo).

Luckily, I found an EcoSport AT (July-2013 model) at the used car dealer near my office last week which had less than 10k on the odo. The low-end torque on this car was marginally better than the official test vehicle. I found it satisfactory considering that 90% of my commute has been within city where I rarely make use of the 5th gear. The suspension was as stiff as the Ford Aspire on less than perfect roads at low speeds. But I'm reading in the forums that stiff suspension helps in handling, which I think is more important on the highway.

I got the offer of 9L for this car which is almost new. I got it checked by a Ford service engineer according to whom only regular service is required. I think it was good value for money even after recent discounts by Ford. Somehow I was able to convince my accountant to go for the pre-owned vehicle instead of a new one, saving something for a rainy day. Got the delivery yesterday after full payment.

Gave it for service today. The service engineer called in the evening to let me know that there is a recall service pending for this car, which has something to do with the automatic transmission. May be I should head to EcoSport thread to get some more info on that.

Thanks to all of you for keeping company and providing valuable inputs along the decision making process.
Attached Thumbnails
Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs-ecosportjampot.jpg  

jampot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 15:55   #320
BHPian

Dear Friends,

About to book an automatic for the Mrs. at a budget of Rs 12 Lakh

She is a practising doctor, and needs something that looks professional, neat and clean. With some reasonable arrival value at her clinic and at Doctors seminars.

We would like to stick to successful cars in the market

We have shortlisted
1. Hyundai Verna AT EX
2. Maruti Vitara Brezza ZDi+ AMT
3. Ford Ecosport Trend+ AT
4. Maruti Ciaz ALPHA AT

Please provide your preferred vehicle and reasons for the same. If any alternate suggestions also do let us know

Thanks in advance for your guidance
Old 18th September 2018, 16:09   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
4. Maruti Ciaz ALPHA AT
It's the freshest/newest launch hence has the latest tech and design
Clean design that looks modern but not in an amateurish way like Brezza or Ecosport
A sedan always leaves a more professional image IMO
Suzuki brand has proven reliability and trust as every doctor should
Need I say more?
Old 18th September 2018, 16:17   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

She is a practising doctor, and needs something that looks professional, neat and clean. With some reasonable arrival value at her clinic and at Doctors seminars.

We have shortlisted
1. Hyundai Verna AT EX
4. Maruti Ciaz ALPHA AT
Your criterion of professional, neat and clean looks to suit a doctor will also be met by Honda City CVT. It will have arrival value too. I am not sure if you will get it within 12 lakhs.

If you feel Honda City will be making too much of a statement then Ciaz shall be the next choice IMO.
Old 18th September 2018, 16:46   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

We have shortlisted

1. Hyundai Verna AT EX

4. Maruti Ciaz ALPHA AT

Please provide your preferred vehicle and reasons for the same. If any alternate suggestions also do let us know

I am in a similar dilemma as my sister who is a doctor herself is in the market for a car in the same segment. I feel the decision is dependent on whether she will drive the car or will be driven and do you need a big boot and back seat space. For self drive I feel the Ecosport and Brezza make more sense due to their compact dimensions and the ciaz for the backseat. The Verna is a good choice if features and looks are a priority. The Honda City cvt is a very popular choice amongst doctors. Do have a look before finalising.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th September 2018 at 18:27. Reason: Formatting quoted post
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 17:43   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It's the freshest/newest launch hence has the latest tech and design. Clean design that looks modern but not in an amateurish way like Brezza or Ecosport
Yes i agree. Infact we are getting fully loaded model in our budget. and im seriosly considering it

The only thing really making me procrastinate is that Marutis are not the same after say 30,000 km. A bit rattly, a bit of wear and tear etc... (build quality deteriorates) .. For that reason the verna is appealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Your criterion of professional, neat and clean looks to suit a doctor will also be met by Honda City CVT. It will have arrival value too. I am not sure if you will get it within 12 lakhs.

If you feel Honda City will be making too much of a statement then Ciaz shall be the next choice IMO.
I agree with you, its what i already drive .. Sport mode in a CVT in a empty road!!
So, just looking for some variety. Ciaz is good, im just considering more feedback before deciding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I am in a similar dilemma as my sister who is a doctor herself is in the market for a car in the same segment. I feel the decision is dependent on whether she will drive the car or will be driven and do you need a big boot and back seat space. For self drive I feel the Ecosport and Brezza make more sense due to their compact dimensions and the ciaz for the backseat. The Verna is a good choice if features and looks are a priority. The Honda City cvt is a very popular choice amongst doctors. Do have a look before finalising.
I think it comes down to Ciaz vs Verna. Vitara looks cheapy and Ecosport is been around too for a while.
For Verna, Back seat is the only drawback i feel, but interiors and build quality is class.
Yaris has out priced itself, and its rather boring too
Old 18th September 2018, 17:57   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The only thing really making me procrastinate is that Marutis are not the same after say 30,000 km. A bit rattly, a bit of wear and tear etc... (build quality deteriorates) .. For that reason the verna is appealing

I would say the opposite. We bought 2 Ciaz's 4 years ago when it was just launched for two of our company CXOs and both their cars are running very well. Infact, I often go for meetings in it, helps me negotiate a better deal rather than when I pull up in a German sedan
A friend of mine has a Verna of similar age and it feels far more worn out.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 22:40   #326
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Friends,

We have shortlisted
1. Hyundai Verna AT EX
4. Maruti Ciaz ALPHA AT

Out of the cars you have shortlisted, I would not choose the Brezza just because of it not being an accomplished AT. Ciaz is the most bang for the buck with features like Android Auto and projector headlights available at your wife's disposal but is also the dullest to drive with the 4 speed AT. For a more expecting driver, Ecosport should be a bit more favorable choice than the Verna but it all depends upon what your wife sees in these cars. Verna has the upper hand over the Ford in terms of build quality. Its AT is a capable performer too.

On the other hand, Autocar had only good things to say about Tata Nexon diesel AMT. Not in your shortlist for any particular reason?
Old 26th September 2018, 09:01   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

We have shortlisted

1. Hyundai Verna AT EX

4. Maruti Ciaz ALPHA AT

I think the Verna and the Ecosport are clearly the better cars in terms of build and it overall quality levels. Suzuki is what it is, VFM, cheap to run, easy to maintain and sell and all that. But if you want something that is slightly better than the run of the mill suzukis, I think the Verna and the Ecosport are clearly the better choices. Plus, the auto boxes in the Suzuki cars you have shortlisted are clearly one step behind the Verna and the Ecosport.

I do not know about the equipment levels in the Trend+ AT, but the Verna EX is decently equipped, misses some details like diamond cut alloys, DRLs etc, but most of the required features are taken care of. And both of these cars are fairly successful cars, so you may not go wrong with either of them.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 09:14   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Plus, the auto boxes in the Suzuki cars you have shortlisted are clearly one step behind the Verna and the Ecosport.
Does Verna come with 5 speed AT? Baleno comes with CVT which is smooth and fuel efficient compared to the Torque Converter on the Verna.
Old 26th September 2018, 18:24   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Does Verna come with 5 speed AT? Baleno comes with CVT which is smooth and fuel efficient compared to the Torque Converter on the Verna.
Yes, Baleno comes with CVT but that was not in the options list; it was a Ciaz which, even in this facelift, manages to get only the 4-Speed TC AT from the earlier version. Hyundai's Verna, on the other hand, gets the smooth 6-speed TC AT which was initially made available in the Creta. Verna clearly has the upper hand here.
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 19:15   #330
BHPian

Quote:

We have shortlisted
1. Hyundai Verna AT EX
4. Maruti Ciaz ALPHA AT

Of the selected cars. I would reject the Verna, for lack of features and the Brezza for its basic AT, the AMT.

Between the Ciaz and Ecosport, you would need to choose based on what your priority is.

For Ecosport:

# Comes loaded with ESP, TC, Hill start assist and Brake assist as part of safety kit.
# Powerful engine with matching performance as per reviews
# Higher seating position & GC
# 6 Speed torque converter
# Compact dimensions
# Better build quality

For Ciaz:

# Space
# Feature loaded
# Better fuel economy
# 4 cylinder engine

Since you already have the City CVT and this is going to be your spouse's daily ride to work, I assume a spacious car wouldn't be your priority.

I'll recommend the Ecosport since it comes with all bases covered when it comes to safety. An alloy change and a few subtle mods like blacking out the grills will increase the snob value too.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 26th September 2018 at 19:29.

Most Viewed