Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 16:27   #136
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI MT vs Skoda 1.8 TSI AT

Hi,
I would suggest the 1.8 Tsi since the usage is not much and also in coming years the gap of petrol and diesel price is closing up.
from the long term maintenance point of view the petrol octavia should be cheaper than the diesel jetta. Also, since extended warranty can be taken for octavia (hopefully soon it will be rolled out) even DSG issue will be covered if it crops up. I have not heard any DSG issues of the new model octavia so looks like Skoda has taken care of this.

the driving please of the 1.8 Tsi cannot be matched by the diesel Jetta (although it is good in its own way)
As you mentioned even the Jetta will be replaced with the MQB platform in FY15 so whatever extra resale the diesel jetta holds will be reduced since it will be an older model
we can expect this model of octavia to be in market for another 2.5 years atleast.
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 08:21   #137
Senior - BHPian

What did you end up buying?
Old 12th June 2014, 09:52   #138
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

I myself have been pondering over this since we needed a highway cruiser for the family in Kerala. I favor the Octavia TDI over the Jetta TDI as of now for the following reasons:

1. Newer and lighter platform should mean better braking and engine performance.

2. Modern design, inside and outside.

3. Fresher and roomier interiors with a lot of nice features like sunroof and feature packed central console display.

4. More space for passengers and luggage.

5. More safety equipment. Especially Bi xenon lamps with AFS and cornering fog lamps, Electronic Differential Lock and Anti Slip Regulation.

5. Overall, better value for money, practicality and space.

The main reasons why I would opt for the Jetta would be the multi link rear suspension and the paddle shifters. Apart from these, most of the features favor the Octavia or are identical on both cars. You do not buy a car just because it is good in one or two aspects. IMO the Octavia is a smarter buy as an all rounder than the aging Jetta.
Will conduct a back to back test drive of both cars soon and share the experience. Cheers.
Old 16th June 2014, 12:33   #139
BHPian

One big factor is the waiting time for delivery after booking.

Jetta - about 2 weeks

Octavia - about 6 months (even though most have got it much earlier).
Old 16th June 2014, 12:56   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
1. Newer and lighter platform should mean better braking and engine performance.
Not necessarily. This would also depend on the braking system (ABS, ESP etc) mechanisms and including the shocks & suspensions which together provide the required stability.

Quote:
5. More safety equipment. Especially Bi xenon lamps with AFS and cornering fog lamps, Electronic Differential Lock and Anti Slip Regulation.
AFS, EDL & ASR even existed in the Laura (L&K) model.
Old 16th June 2014, 19:30   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Not necessarily. This would also depend on the braking system (ABS, ESP etc) mechanisms and including the shocks & suspensions which together provide the required stability.
Why of course is does but I doubt the Octavia has any problems when it comes to suspension tuning for the price, considering it rides and handles better than the Elantra, Cruze and the Corolla. The lighter chassis should mean better waftability. From what I've read the Octavia is around 100 kgs lighter and that is a big difference.

I feel from experience that it is better to go for a newly engineered car is better than getting one which is nearing the end of its life. My heart goes out for the superior ride and solidity of the Jetta but the Octavia is much more modern in design, mostly identical in terms of engineering and ride, and has many more features and space which has currently turned the tables for me.
Old 16th June 2014, 20:08   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why of course is does but I doubt the Octavia has any problems when it comes to suspension tuning for the price, considering it rides and handles better than the Elantra, Cruze and the Corolla. The lighter chassis should mean better waftability. From what I've read the Octavia is around 100 kgs lighter and that is a big difference.

I feel from experience that it is better to go for a newly engineered car is better than getting one which is nearing the end of its life. My heart goes out for the superior ride and solidity of the Jetta but the Octavia is much more modern in design, mostly identical in terms of engineering and ride, and has many more features and space which has currently turned the tables for me.
What I meant to say was that reduction in weight alone won't be of much advantage in stability, but the braking system, suspensions & shocks must be equally tuned, be it for Skoda, VW, Jaguar etc.
Old 11th July 2014, 19:43   #143
BHPian

Update: That Superb got sold the morning of the day I went with an offer. FML. I then got very busy with work, so only now have returned to the purchase question.

Current options:

White Elegance (top) Octavia TDI AT: 22.5 total, available today
Tempest Blue Highline (top) Jetta TDI AT: 20.3 total, available today

I really like the blue Jetta (I saw a thread here regarding a recent purchase), and the 2.2L price difference is swinging it in its favor. I'm ready to pull the trigger this Sunday.

Questions:
1. Is 20.3L a good price for the top diesel variant? If not, what should I ask for?
2. Anything else they usually throw in to sweeten the deal?
3. Any word on the Jetta MQB release date?
4. Any other advice?!
Old 11th July 2014, 20:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post
I really like the blue Jetta (I saw a thread here regarding a recent purchase), and the 2.2L price difference is swinging it in its favor. I'm ready to pull the trigger this Sunday.

Questions:
1. Is 20.3L a good price for the top diesel variant? If not, what should I ask for?
4. Any other advice?!
IMHO, just close your eyes and go for it.

Jetta gets provision for extended warranty directly from the Company, which is like icing on the cake. All the best!
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 11:11   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Questions:

4. Any other advice?!

The Jetta nowadays is getting a cash discount of at least ₹30000, plus a 15-20% discount on insurance and a corporate discount of ₹15000. The exchange bonus if you were to trade your car is about ₹30000, so there's lots of discounts on offer. They also waive off the handling charges if you're adamant enough, so keep that in mind.

There's no official word on the MQB Jetta, so there might not be much point waiting for it. Might I suggest you look at the A3? It's cramped at the back, but other than it looks like a great car. The launch isn't too far away either, so you can carry on any discussions you want for the Jetta/Octavia alongside it.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 12:03   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Might I suggest you look at the A3?
The A3 looks very interesting. Any word on the on-road price? 25L indicated here: http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/first-d...audi-a3-586937

Last edited by sohels : 12th July 2014 at 12:21.
Old 12th July 2014, 15:03   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any word on the on-road price? 25L indicated here: http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/first-d...audi-a3-586937
I've heard everything from ₹23.XX to ₹28.XX ex-showroom Delhi as the starting price of the A3. When I had tweeted Audi during the auto expo, they said the starting price would be mouth watering and then Audi India later come out and said the starting price would be somewhere below 25 lakhs. So it's all up in the air really, but the launch is less than a month away, so we'll find out soon enough
Old 12th July 2014, 17:49   #148
Senior - BHPian

Here are my 2 cents. As a car, just car, suspension/build quality aside the Skoda smokes Jetta in almost every parameter. In terms of features, throttle response, fresh cabin, boot space etc. Skoda scores over the Jetta which is beginning to show its age.

However, and its a big HOWEVER when it comes to "resale" & "mindset" of non-auto enthusiasts who don't follow cars... they rate Jetta over Octavia anyway. Obviously some of these folks haven't even driven or sat inside the car so take their opinion with a grain of salt. Having said that.. when you do eventually sell the car. Its this category of people who would not buy Skoda as easily as they would lap up VW.

Other Skoda owners please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this is my perception formed after been on an extensive lookout for a D1 segment car.

So in terms of resale I would rate the D1 cars as follows:

Corolla > Jetta > Octavia

In terms of car:

Octavia > Jetta > Corolla

In terms of price:

Octavia > Jetta > Corolla

So Jetta is right in the middle for all 3 parameters. Purely heart, I would say Skoda Octavia ticks all boxes. Purely mind and Corolla is a fantastic value proposition. In no mans land... well Jetta it is!

Last edited by aseem : 12th July 2014 at 17:59.
aseem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 19:50   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
So it's all up in the air really, but the launch is less than a month away, so we'll find out soon enough
Indeed. I'm curious that you said the rear seat is cramped. Here's the relevant dimensions:

A3 width: 1796mm <-bigger
Jetta width: 1778mm

A3 wheelbase: 2637mm <-bigger
Jetta wheelbase: 2633mm

And the relevant images:

A3:

Jetta:

Both seem comparable on paper!
Old 13th July 2014, 03:32   #150
Senior - BHPian

D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
I'm curious that you said the rear seat is cramped.
That's something everyone is saying about it universally really, I don't think I've come across 1 review that doesn't bring it up, including the Autocar video review. Look that up and see for yourself.

Moreover, I think it was our very own Viddy who checked out the A3 at the auto expo and said as much, even took a photo to show it. If you're going to be self driven, I don't think it's that much of an issue though.

Edit: it was anshuman! Can't attach the pic I referenced since I'm on the phone, but check out the Audi thread from this years Auto Expo. It's on the first page.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 13th July 2014 at 03:36.

Most Viewed