Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2014, 13:10   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post
Indeed. I'm curious that you said the rear seat is cramped. Here's the relevant dimensions:

A3 width: 1796mm <-bigger
Jetta width: 1778mm

A3 wheelbase: 2637mm <-bigger
Jetta wheelbase: 2633mm

And the relevant images:

A3:

Jetta:

Both seem comparable on paper!
From the pictures, if you take the front seat position as reference, you can see that Jetta's front seats are covering the "B" pillar. Whereas, A3's front seats are way forward, completely exposing the "B" pillar.

From the reviews, I thought that the interior space of the A3 is comparable to that of the Vento, more that the Jetta.

If we do not go by "this is more spacious than the other", IMHO, whatever A3 offers is good enough.

Remember that A3 has Multi-link rear suspension. Therefore, ride quality will be good.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 13:03   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
it was anshuman! Can't attach the pic I referenced since I'm on the phone, but check out the Audi thread from this years Auto Expo. It's on the first page.
Found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
People of my height may not fit comfortably at the rear bench, the space at rear is even lesser than most of the small economy hatchbacks.
Using Chethan's A-pillar reference, the front seats seem to be pushed almost all the way back, and yes, definitely cramped in that position.

Probably as usable in the city for 4 adults as a City or a Vento, but definitely not viable for 5-adult highway runs, it seems.
Old 14th July 2014, 14:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post
Using Chethan's A-pillar reference, the front seats seem to be pushed almost all the way back, and yes, definitely cramped in that position.

Probably as usable in the city for 4 adults as a City or a Vento, but definitely not viable for 5-adult highway runs, it seems.
Yes, it would certainly seem to be so. Space at the back is definitely at a premium, but even a Jetta/Octavia is a comfortable 4 seater with the transmission hump making the 5th passenger somewhat unwelcome.

Then again, if rear space is that big a concern there's nothing to beat a Superb is there
Old 15th July 2014, 13:18   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Then again, if rear space is that big a concern there's nothing to beat a Superb is there
Back seat of any car is only good for 2 fully grown adults and a kid. It will be congested to accommodate shoulder space of 3 fully grown adults - That too, if they are of medium to large frames. Unless off course, if one needs to forgo comfort and compromise.

IMHO, with or without transmission hump, practically, they are all the same.
Old 25th July 2014, 17:30   #155
BHPian

Diesel automatic- Cruze or Octavia

I am replacing my old i10 with a d segment sedan. Wanted automatic and sunroof. I have found Cruze LTZ and Octavia (1.8 TSI or 2.0 diesel) which fit this requirement. I was wondering between the 2 which is a better choice although the Octavia is 2.5 lacs costlier. The cruze top end comes at 17lac ex showroom while Octavia diesel will be 20Lacs. I was keen on 1.8 TSI Octavia due its 180 bhp and better suspension, but Skoda doesnt seem to have stock for next 6 months in bangalore. So this narrows choice to octavia 2 litre diesel and cruz ltz.
I have a toyota and i10 and both provide great service networks. I dont know which is worse Skoda or GM for service and spare costs!
Any advice here on pros and cons will be appreciated.
Old 25th July 2014, 18:12   #156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel automatic- Cruze or Octavia

Hi there!

This is part of a much larger discussion we've had on here, a link to which is here.

The Octavia would be my pick over the Cruze simply because its newer and virtually better in every way. The only real advantage the Cruze has is outright power and a lower price tag, and the former can easily be knocked off the list of advantages via a simple remap. The only real reason I can see one going for the Cruze is the price tag then.

The Cruze will be as cheap or cheaper to own than the Skoda though, and the latter's A.S.S. seems to be very hit and miss at the moment. While the Octavia 1.8 TSI is hard to get hold of, the 2.0 TDI is not that much easier. It too will have a waiting period of a couple of months at least, unless you're very lucky.

Is a sunroof an absolute necessity? If you drop it from your list, your options do open up. There's also the A3 that will be launching in some time, but it will stretch your budget still further.

Personally, I'd prefer the Octavia if a sunroof is an absolute necessity. I don't believe it (the sunroof) should be viewed as a necessity though.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 18:32   #157
BHPian

Thanks for your reply iliketurtles. Sunroof is ofcourse not a necessity! But just cought my fancy since i have been driving a boring corolla!
A3 will be costlier and octavia itself is a stretch. If i forget the sunroof, other options that emerge are Jetta and Elantra as i dont want another corolla. Jetta is great but too old and a facelift is expected next year i guess. Elantra lacks power!
Old 25th July 2014, 18:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

I actually was slightly fixated on a sunroof myself, but went against it since it's not really practical in our kind of climate. If you go through the threads on Octavia's, mentions are made of it being rattly, which is very odd for cars that really haven't run that much.

You are correct about the Elantra being a bit uninspiring on the power front, if only it had come with as much power as it has panache!

I'm not sure there'll be a new Jetta next year, although I could be wrong on this one. It's a great alternative to the Octavia; it's cheaper, has the better suspension at the back and loses out on a little bit of space in the rear and boot + some features. But it's a significant difference of more than 1.5 lakhs from top-end to top-end if I remember right, at least in Mumbai.

The way I see it, here's how the three contenders stand

Cruze: Cheapest of the lot, really feature packed, but aging badly and cramped at the back

Jetta: Most balanced car of the three, but a bit long in the tooth now. I still love mine though

Octavia: The most cutting edge of the three, but that price tag and waiting period is nothing to ignore.

Take a drive of it and the Cruze + Octavia before making up your mind. I'm sure something or the other from one of the three will catch your fancy.

P.S: if you don't wish to consider the Jetta because it might get a facelift next year, I'd suggest you drop the Cruze too. It's already got 2 facelifts and I think the next version of it is closer than the Jetta's. Makes your decision easier, doesn't it?
Old 25th July 2014, 19:06   #159
BHPian

Diesel automatic- Cruze or Octavia

Hello,

I suggest waiting for a while would do more good. The Cruze, Jetta may get facelifts by the end of this year or early next year. If you could hold on for a while may be the 1.8 TSI would be available again.

The present Octavia TDI has a stiffer and noisier setup, doesn't not feel as sophisticated as the 1.8 is what I have heard. Talking about the service both Skoda and GM cannot be compared to Toyota. May be dealers of Skoda are doing good in Bangalore.

If waiting is not an option. Do drive both the cars back to back and go by your heart. Let me suggest that Octavia has better interior compared to the Cruze. The Octavia might not be as solidly built as the Laura but definitely levels higher than the Cruze. If don't mind a noisier suspension then Octavia suits all your needs.

( Ruled out one of the best cars in the Segment, Jetta as Sunroof is a must )

Last edited by Amarendranath : 25th July 2014 at 19:09.
Old 25th July 2014, 19:08   #160
BHPian

Thanks again. I have already test driven Jetta and cruze. Will try octavia and decide. You are right, cruze too is getting old!
Old 25th July 2014, 19:18   #161
BHPian

IMHO the Jetta is the one to go for, 2.0 TDI Highline with either M/T or A/T. The styling is timeless and not as flamboyant as the Cruze, however, the car is built to last and drives beautifully.

With the recent upgrades, LED DRL, 2-zone Climatronic AC, etc. it's worth the additional price. Next best option is Octavia.
Old 31st July 2014, 14:05   #162
Senior - BHPian

I'm in the same confusion, between the Octavia and the Jetta.

I have booked a Octavia 1.4 TSI Ambition about 2 months ago (about to cancel), but while waiting for the car I did a bit more study on the resale value and it seems any D segment petrol car will tank when it comes to reselling the car. So I had a look at the Diesel Octy in the same ambition trim and the Jetta Highline Manual. Here is how it shapes up

Octaiva 2.0 TDI Ambition(M) - 19.75 Lacs On-Road
Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline(M) - 20.19 Lacs On-Road (80k discount)

No accessories with the Octavia,
Mudflaps, Floor Matts etc with the Jetta

+ for Octavia Ambition over Jetta Highline
  • Marginally cheaper
  • Newer Car
  • Lighter
  • Better Looking Interior
  • Car Settings Integrated with the Car entertainment System
  • Slightly powerful engine
  • Genuine Leather Seats
  • More space in the rear and boot
  • ACC setup in the Central Entertainment System
  • Puddle Lamps

+ for the Jetta Highline over the Octavia Ambition
  • Better Built, feels solid
  • Better Sales and Service
  • Multi Link Rear Suspension
  • Bi-Xenon head lamps
  • LED DRLs
  • Cornering Lamps
  • Headlamp washers
  • 6- CD Changer
  • Cruise Control
  • Power Seats
  • Lumbar Adjustment for both front Seats
  • Rear Power Sockets
  • 6 Airbags (Octavia Ambition has 2 for front)
  • Front + Rear Parking sensors (Octavia Ambition has rear only)
  • Vanity Mirror Lights
  • 15 days Delivery
  • Better Brand value

Give or take a few, the above is what I found out. Now i'm even more confused, Please help me decide on the Octavia or Jetta or I should throw this all out and retain the booking for the Octavia 1.4 TSI Ambition, but then resale matters to me as I'm middle class and do change my cars every 4-5 years.

P.S - Earlier Car was a Honda Jazz

Last edited by merve_extreme : 31st July 2014 at 14:09.
Old 31st July 2014, 14:13   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
I'm in the same confusion, between the Octavia and the Jetta.

I have booked a Octavia 1.4 TSI Ambition about 2 months ago (about to cancel), but while waiting for the car I did a bit more study on the resale value and it seems any D segment petrol car will tank when it comes to reselling the car. So I had a look at the Diesel Octy in the same ambition trim and the Jetta Highline Manual. Here is how it shapes up

Octaiva 2.0 TDI Ambition(M) - 19.75 Lacs On-Road
Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline(M) - 20.19 Lacs On-Road (80k discount)

No accessories with the Octavia,
Mudflaps, Floor Matts etc with the Jetta

+ for Octavia Ambition over Jetta Highline
  • Marginally cheaper
  • Newer Car
  • Lighter
  • Better Looking Interior
  • Car Settings Integrated with the Car entertainment System
  • Slightly powerful engine
  • Genuine Leather Seats
  • More space in the rear and boot
  • ACC setup in the Central Entertainment System
  • Puddle Lamps

+ for the Jetta Highline over the Octavia Ambition
  • Better Built, feels solid
  • Better Sales and Service
  • Multi Link Rear Suspension
  • Bi-Xenon head lamps
  • LED DRLs
  • Cornering Lamps
  • Headlamp washers
  • 6- CD Changer
  • Cruise Control
  • Power Seats
  • Lumbar Adjustment for both front Seats
  • Rear Power Sockets
  • 6 Airbags (Octavia Ambition has 2 for front)
  • Front + Rear Parking sensors (Octavia Ambition has rear only)
  • Vanity Mirror Lights
  • 15 days Delivery
  • Better Brand value

Give or take a few, the above is what I found out. Now i'm even more confused, Please help me decide on the Octavia or Jetta or I should throw this all out and retain the booking for the Octavia 1.4 TSI Ambition, but then resale matters to me as I'm middle class and do change my cars every 4-5 years.

P.S - Earlier Car was a Honda Jazz
If resale matters to you look no further then Corolla 1.8 CVT or manual G model. Rest I believe this topic has been debated to death so you need to make up your own mind . The force is strong with you.
Old 31st July 2014, 14:17   #164
Senior - BHPian

Aseem,

I test drove the Corolla, Elantra and Cruze.
The Corolla feels cheap and uninspiring, especially the interior.

Resale value is a factor, but not THE factor.
Between the Octavia and Jetta which will have a better resale ?
Old 31st July 2014, 14:33   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Between the Octavia and Jetta which will have a better resale ?
Mostly the Jetta though the difference wouldn't be much. It seems that both VW and Skoda have a very bad image in the pre-owned cars market. I've sold a VW before and now trying to sell a Skoda,most of first time car owners shy away from these brands except for the brave few

EDIT: I would buy the Jetta HL over the Octavia ambition if I were in your place.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 31st July 2014 at 14:34.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks