Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2014, 19:56   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
A small twist in the tale, I cancelled the Booking for the Octavia 1.4TSi, with a 10K cancellation charge.
Why did they levy the cancellation charges buddy? When I cancelled my booking of the 1.8 TSI, I got the entire amount refunded with zero charges, same for graaja too. Not sure that anything should have been cut on account of the cancellation.

Quote:
Just to check out, I called another Skoda Dealer; Now here is the deal, I can have a November 13' manufactured Octavia Ambition Diesel right now. I guess its a display car from the showroom, does it make sense to go for this and if yes, what are the discounts I should ask for ?
If I were you I'd haggle for a big amount off it, the car is a 2013 model and isn't getting any younger. The least I'd want off is about Rs. 1,50,000, so I'm not too far off adi's suggestion. But I too will say don't go for it. The dealer will be loathe to give too much of a discount on it as someone or the other will come along and pick it up, such is the untapped demand for the Octavia at the moment.

From your point of view, I wouldn't take a year old car. Just get a new car, either the Jetta or the Octy diesel. Don't waste your time chasing an oldie.
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:19   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Easily. That's only the depreciation on cost. Don't budge, make them desparate and check if they have other takers for it. But why do you wanna do this? Buy brand new yaar. Jetta Jetta Jetta. Can I make it any more clear?
I guess Brand New it is then

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Why did they levy the cancellation charges buddy? When I cancelled my booking of the 1.8 TSI, I got the entire amount refunded with zero charges, same for graaja too. Not sure that anything should have been cut on account of the cancellation.

If I were you I'd haggle for a big amount off it, the car is a 2013 model and isn't getting any younger. The least I'd want off is about Rs. 1,50,000, so I'm not too far off adi's suggestion. But I too will say don't go for it. The dealer will be loathe to give too much of a discount on it as someone or the other will come along and pick it up, such is the untapped demand for the Octavia at the moment.

From your point of view, I wouldn't take a year old car. Just get a new car, either the Jetta or the Octy diesel. Don't waste your time chasing an oldie.
They didn't charge you for the cancellation
I'm going to get these guys now. I haven't got the amount yet, just a reply to my mail, saying 10K will be charged as cancellation. Totally Unprofessional folks, they haven't even bothered to call back.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 2nd August 2014 at 20:46.
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:54   #198
Senior - BHPian

Well in Bangalore Tafe's booking receipt stated no money would be refunded upon cancellation, but the service executive clearly wrote he would give money back less 5000 Rs. Generally folks here charge 2,500 Rs to 5,000 Rs depending on the car. 10,000 Rs is a highway robbery my friend. Escalate this to Skoda.
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:28   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I guess Brand New it is then

They didn't charge you for the cancellation
I'm going to get these guys now. I haven't got the amount yet, just a reply to my mail, saying 10K will be charged as cancellation. Totally Unprofessional folks, they haven't even bothered to call back.
Even when I cancelled my booking of the 1.8tsi, I got a full refund within a week. You should definitely check. One other factor could be I and iliketurtles cancelled when they were not able to deliver on the promised timeframe. But still 10k for cancellation is day time robbery.
Old 4th August 2014, 01:23   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Well in Bangalore Tafe's booking receipt stated no money would be refunded upon cancellation, but the service executive clearly wrote he would give money back less 5000 Rs. Generally folks here charge 2,500 Rs to 5,000 Rs depending on the car. 10,000 Rs is a highway robbery my friend. Escalate this to Skoda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Even when I cancelled my booking of the 1.8tsi, I got a full refund within a week. You should definitely check. One other factor could be I and iliketurtles cancelled when they were not able to deliver on the promised timeframe. But still 10k for cancellation is day time robbery.
Yes 10K is lot for cancellation, I've written back to them that the charges are unacceptable. If they don't agree I will take it up with Skoda, considering the fact that I've decided to go ahead with the Octavia 2.0 TDI Ambition, just from another dealer.

I'm planning to keep the car for 5 years, the Octavia will be a facelift old in 5 years, the Jetta on the other hand will be a facelift and a model change older, that sealed it

another +ve, the Octavia has black carpets compared to the Jetta's beige and beige is nearly impossible to keep clean.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 4th August 2014 at 01:25.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:13   #201
BHPian

I have decided to book the octavia elegance 2.0 dsg at Vinayak skoda Bangalore. I am being asked to sign a disclaimer saying I will wait for 6 months for delivery. Is this normal, have anybody else also signed any of these please let me know. Also cancellation charges of Rs 5000.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:32   #202
BHPian

If they are taking 5k as cancellation charges, why should you sign a disclaimer? They are charging you for it anyways. If it was free cancellation, the disclaimer would have made some sense.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:44   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I have decided to book the octavia elegance 2.0 dsg at Vinayak skoda Bangalore. I am being asked to sign a disclaimer saying I will wait for 6 months for delivery. Is this normal, have anybody else also signed any of these please let me know. Also cancellation charges of Rs 5000.

To back up what Ajay said just above me, I had indeed signed a document at the time of booking an Octavia that said I was aware that 15 weeks was the normal waiting period, but never signed anything that said x amount would be the cancellation charges. In fact, I did ask about the latter and was told a cancellation would incur no charges.

It makes sense to have either clause only because by agreeing to both the dice is heavily loaded in favor of the dealer. By signing on with these terms you're effectively locking yourself in unless you're willing to wave that ₹5000 goodbye if you don't want to wait any more.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 13:28   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Hi Prashanth,
6 months waiting period for a Diesel Octavia is too much. Also, the dealer committing delivery "within 6 months", is very vague IMHO.

If the Dealer is able to commit a (reasonable) date for delivery, it is logical for him to ask for a cancellation fee. Other wise, NO.

Waiting for anything more than 3 months for a Diesel Octy is TOO much.
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 22:47   #205
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Autocar comparo between Corolla, Octavia, Elantra & Fluence.

PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 07:12   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Autocar comparo between Corolla, Octavia, Elantra & Fluence.
Its surprising that they left out Jetta from the mix. It's been in the market for a while, but so is the Fluence.
Old 20th August 2014, 08:44   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jetta is probably the oldest in the lot now and perhaps that might be the reason that they left it out. Or the fact that it shares most of the pros and cons with the Octavia.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:04   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Its surprising that they left out Jetta from the mix. It's been in the market for a while, but so is the Fluence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Jetta is probably the oldest in the lot now and perhaps that might be the reason that they left it out. Or the fact that it shares most of the pros and cons with the Octavia.
The print version of Autocar India also had the Jetta and the Cruze. Jetta was a close 2nd and Cruze was last
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:50   #209
BHPian

I am planning to upgrade my Polo (while retaining the Linea) to a Jetta/Octavia. Altis and Fluence didn't excite me much so they are out. I TD'ed the Jetta yesterday and I am impressed. The positives include rock solid build, excellent ride and handling, powerful 2.0TDI, smooth DSG with paddle shifters and updated features including xenons, DRLs, climatronic AC etc.. On the negatives my dad didn't like the looks (too similar to vento) and I felt that the interiors lack the freshness of the octavia. These are in no way deal breakers for me but anyway we have decided to give the octavia a shot(yet to TD it). But I have some concerns about the Octavia. First of all I need to have the car by October second week which seems almost impossible with the Octavia. And how bad is the Octavias ride quality when compared to the Jettas ride? For me ride quality is a very important aspect of a car so I don't want a big compromise on that. Next comes my biggest fears about Skoda-ASS. I wouldn't rate EVM VW's service as excellent (polo experience) but I can handle them and they have improved a lot is what I feel. But I got no idea about what to face with Skoda service. I've got enough of "Skoda fears". So with all these risks should I go forward with the Octavia?
And to the Jetta owners here isn't the touch screen resistive? I felt so as I had to press on the screen instead of just touching it. And where's the vehicle information displayed on the Jetta? On the MID or on the touch screen? What other major differences are there between the Octavia and the Jetta? Should I be worried about the reliability of the DSG? Expert BHPians please guide me in choosing the best.

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 23rd August 2014 at 15:03.
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:05   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I am planning to upgrade my Polo (while retaining the Linea) to a Jetta/Octavia.
Since ride quality is an important aspect, I would suggest to go with the Jetta. The superior independent suspension setup obviously have an edge over the one in Octavia diesel. Vento-like looks is ignorable in my opinion. Too similar family face is a common trait with VAG cars. Polo and Vento are brilliant when compared to its competitors, but for me the so-called German quality starts with the Jetta. And the 6-speed DSG are not known to have issues.

In Cochin, the reputation of Marikar is not very rosy. You already have a link with EVM because of your Polo, and that could be one extra reason to go with the Jetta
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed