Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 19:06   #241
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
You've got three things right there.

1) The Elantra's gearbox is uninspiring
2) Body roll is definitely more than the Jetta (haven't driven the latest Corolla), but then that's a Hyundai thing. The Elantra is actually pretty decent in this regard as Hyundai's go!
3) Again, light steering wheels are Hyundai's thing. People like them apparently. Yeah, I don't get the love for it either.

So that knocks almost everything in that category out, except for the Corolla and the Fluence. The Fluence has, I hear, the best ride quality in this segment, with controlled body roll like all Europeans and it's comfortable too. However, reliability and long-term ownership is a big question mark, and you can't bank on finding one available for a Test-Drive. Not sure you should consider one.

Guess it's the Corolla then, isn't it?
Yup, looks like Corolla (still working in the background whether I can manage a Jetta)
Old 12th September 2014, 22:09   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Abhilash, the price is on higher tick no doubt but then you will get a european sedan with DSG and a 2L engine, besides the handling and all other goodies. I would even say (with some salt) you are getting a A3 replica for 5L less
I went for the CL with BP philadelphia and it costed me 19 odd. If you haggle more and try out insurance from outside, I think you can make another 30-40K. That should be it.
Corolla is entirely different car. The revised version looks better than before and you have japanese reliability at your disposal. Choice is yours.
Quote:
You've got three things right there.

1) The Elantra's gearbox is uninspiring
2) Body roll is definitely more than the Jetta (haven't driven the latest Corolla), but then that's a Hyundai thing. The Elantra is actually pretty decent in this regard as Hyundai's go!
3) Again, light steering wheels are Hyundai's thing. People like them apparently. Yeah, I don't get the love for it either.

So that knocks almost everything in that category out, except for the Corolla and the Fluence. The Fluence has, I hear, the best ride quality in this segment, with controlled body roll like all Europeans and it's comfortable too. However, reliability and long-term ownership is a big question mark, and you can't bank on finding one available for a Test-Drive. Not sure you should consider one.

Guess it's the Corolla then, isn't it?
Guys,

Finally decided to stretch my budget and go in for the Jetta

Booking one tomorrow with VW Mysore.

@Sanju, Is buying in Mysore and registering in Bangalore a big effort? I'm assuming they'll handle it seamlessly right?
Old 13th September 2014, 08:57   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
Guys,

@Sanju, Is buying in Mysore and registering in Bangalore a big effort? I'm assuming they'll handle it seamlessly right?
Abhilash, Firstly many congrats. You have taken the right decision and you will be HAPPY everytime you press the pedal. No issues with registration and delivery. The guys are good. Call me or drop me a note in case of any information you need. Many of us TBHP members have bought from them.
Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 08:58   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Congrats!!

Registering (any where for that matter) is a cake walk. Don't worry. You could do it yourself if you want and save about 10k.

Please check my ownership thread: Post # 54 : Page # 4:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3258242
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 11:05   #245
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Abhilash! I'm mighty pleased you've gone for the Jetta, although I have to admit I thought you'd go for the Corolla instead! You're one of a growing ilk on team-BHP, the Jetta is proving to be a popular choice this year

Which variant and color are you going for, just out of curiosity?

I'm sure registering the car will prove to be no issue, as Sanju and Chethan pointed out.
Old 13th September 2014, 16:13   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Abhilash, Firstly many congrats. You have taken the right decision and you will be HAPPY everytime you press the pedal. No issues with registration and delivery. The guys are good. Call me or drop me a note in case of any information you need. Many of us TBHP members have bought from them.
Thanks Sanju, Will reach out to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Registering (any where for that matter) is a cake walk. Don't worry. You could do it yourself if you want and save about 10k.
Cool, thanks. Your post is really descriptive of how to get it done. Unsure if I'll do it myself, for now I'll let it get done by them.

Also if I want to change the tyres to Primacy 3ST (as suggested by folks in this thread) would there be any good guys in Mysore? I am not sure if the Bangalore guys would take the old tyres post getting the car from Mysore.

Quote:
Which variant and color are you going for, just out of curiosity?
Highline DSG, went for Silver (kind of used to having light colours, i'm boring!)

Quite excited now to get the car fast. They have just picked up a Aug'14 car from the factory and its going to be dispatched and reach here in about 14 days.
Old 13th September 2014, 17:19   #247
BHPian

Hi, there is a madhus in Mysore as well. He will be able to help you.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 18:29   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also if I want to change the tyres to Primacy 3ST (as suggested by folks in this thread) would there be any good guys in Mysore? I am not sure if the Bangalore guys would take the old tyres post getting the car from Mysore
Changing to P3ST is a good decision.

Once you drive to Bangalore, Tyres are regarded as used / old!! You will only get peanuts!! Best is to exchange right from showroom..

You could try in any tyre shop at Mysore. That should not be a problem if you do not mind loosing a hundred here or there. Also, you can speak to Mr. Sri Harsha @ VW Mysore. He is very helpful..
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 07:46   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Changing to P3ST is a good decision.

Once you drive to Bangalore, Tyres are regarded as used / old!! You will only get peanuts!! Best is to exchange right from showroom..

You could try in any tyre shop at Mysore. That should not be a problem if you do not mind loosing a hundred here or there. Also, you can speak to Mr. Sri Harsha @ VW Mysore. He is very helpful..
Want to get tyres from a reputed store. Had a bad experience previously buying Michelin for our old Santro in Mumbai (they had given a bad tyre which ended up needing replacement in a few thousand kms.

Spoke to Madhus, they have promised some arrangement to get the tyres changed.
abhilashgp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:26   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

abhilashgp,
I am seriously considering the Skoda Octavia Elegance, do please let me know the reasons behind your preference for the Jetta besides the availability and After Sales Service issues (availability is easily managed in Delhi).
Thanks.
Old 15th September 2014, 10:45   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
abhilashgp,
I am seriously considering the Skoda Octavia Elegance, do please let me know the reasons behind your preference for the Jetta besides the availability and After Sales Service issues (availability is easily managed in Delhi).
Thanks.
Hi bharatsomany,

My reasons were as below
a. Skoda Elegance is about 1L costlier than Jetta Diesel DSG (due to discounts on it currently)
b. Diesel economies are higher (Jetta has given a FE of 10-14kmpl in City & 16-20kmpl on Highways for folks in Teambhp)
c. The 6 speed wet clutch on Jetta has been seen as more reliable (as per my research on team bhp threads)
d. Generally found Skoda dealers (in Bangalore at least) to be very aloof about their cars. I wasn't even offered a test drive until I prodded quite a lot. Not a good sign of customer service attitude.
abhilashgp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:59   #252
BHPian

Quote:

Also if I want to change the tyres to Primacy 3ST (as suggested by folks in this thread) would there be any good guys in Mysore? I am not sure if the Bangalore guys would take the old tyres post getting the car from Mysore.
I personally think that the notion that the stock tyres of jetta (goodyear NCT5) are really bad is not valid. I decided to keep the a stock tyres and so far I have found no major issues with respect to road noise. Just did a 250 km round trip highway run with speeds around 80-100 kmph and found no problems with the tyre noise.
If you are a sedate driver (someone who does drives in the 80-120 kmph speed range in the highways), I personally think there is no need to change the stock tyres.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:07   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
I personally think that the notion that the stock tyres of jetta (goodyear NCT5) are really bad is not valid. I decided to keep the a stock tyres and so far I have found no major issues with respect to road noise. Just did a 250 km round trip highway run with speeds around 80-100 kmph and found no problems with the tyre noise.
If you are a sedate driver (someone who does drives in the 80-120 kmph speed range in the highways), I personally think there is no need to change the stock tyres.
I second you on this. Grip levels of NCT5 both on Dry and Wet levels are very good. These tyres have never squeaked in the past 22k Kms. I have driven in most kinds of terrain. NCT5's gives extra piece of mind on our kind of roads, especially rural.

There is a lot of road noise when driven on cement roads, even at avg speeds. Other wise, it is OK. It all depends on what we are used to. I have upgraded from Bridgestone - I do not have a problem. I feel spending extra 25K on P3ST for exchange, is not compulsory.
Chethan B G is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 22:48   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Hi bharatsomany,

My reasons were as below
a. Skoda Elegance is about 1L costlier than Jetta Diesel DSG (due to discounts on it currently)
b. Diesel economies are higher (Jetta has given a FE of 10-14kmpl in City & 16-20kmpl on Highways for folks in Teambhp)
c. The 6 speed wet clutch on Jetta has been seen as more reliable (as per my research on team bhp threads)
d. Generally found Skoda dealers (in Bangalore at least) to be very aloof about their cars. I wasn't even offered a test drive until I prodded quite a lot. Not a good sign of customer service attitude.
Add the most important one: Jetta has multi-link, big difference when considering either diesel.

Also isn't the 6 speed DSG same for either.

Congrats on the Jetta, sweet pick, though even I thought you'd go the Corolla way. Jetta I believe is kinder to the back than the Octavia (even comparing the multi-link).
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 22:52   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
Add the most important one: Jetta has multi-link, big difference when considering either diesel.

Also isn't the 6 speed DSG same for either.

Congrats on the Jetta, sweet pick, though even I thought you'd go the Corolla way. Jetta I believe is kinder to the back than the Octavia (even comparing the multi-link).
Thanks dude.

You're right, multi-link suspension is a huge difference when it comes to diesels. I was actually comparing with the 1.8 TSI. With the diesels, I don't think there is much to discuss.
abhilashgp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed