Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2014, 18:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
It is time to move on and I'm somewhat unexpectedly back in the market for a car.
Of the choices you mentioned, my recommendation would be the Jetta Highline (MT or DSG) in the diesel space and the Octavia TSI DSG if it’s petrol.
It maybe worth to wait and see what options is coming through the Auto Expo. The Fluence facelift maybe something which is worth checking out.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 23:02   #17

What about the Honda Civic or the Chevy Cruze? heard the new cruze is a whole lot better than the old one, with a slick auto box available as well.
Old 27th January 2014, 07:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the Yeti?
You said occasionally you want to seat 5 for the highway. Check that part out with the Yeti. For long distances the comfort of a space may not be to your liking.
I think Jetta is the best option. And I do agree a Comfort line DSG would have been very good to have.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 07:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Of the choices you mentioned, my recommendation would be the Jetta Highline (MT or DSG) in the diesel space and the Octavia TSI DSG if it’s petrol.
It maybe worth to wait and see what options is coming through the Auto Expo. The Fluence facelift maybe something which is worth checking out.
Thanks. If one doesn't care about xenon lights, would the Highline still make sense? I'm not sure that the kit difference between the Comfort MT and High MT justify the nearly 3 lakh premium. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpamit View Post
What about the Honda Civic or the Chevy Cruze? heard the new cruze is a whole lot better than the old one, with a slick auto box available as well.
The Civic has been practically discontinued, unless you're referring to a used version. Also, I'm not sure if its alleged thirsty nature would be a fit.

The 2 assumptions that dropped the Cruze from the list were indifferent handling around curves and relative ground clearance. Any views to negate those assumptions?
Old 27th January 2014, 08:58   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. If one doesn't care about xenon lights, would the Highline still make sense? I'm not sure that the kit difference between the Comfort MT and High MT justify the nearly 3 lakh premium. Thoughts?
When I last checked, the difference between Comfortline and Highline MT was around 2 lakhs, and with the DSG variant, the difference was 3 lakhs+.
On safety aspects both the variants are identical. Other than the difference in headlights, Comfortline misses out on features like touch screen audio, Bluetooth connectivity, electrical seat adjustment etc. And those alloys on the highline are much better looking as well.
Old 27th January 2014, 09:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I last checked, the difference between Comfortline and Highline MT was around 2 lakhs, and with the DSG variant, the difference was 3 lakhs+.
On safety aspects both the variants are identical. Other than the difference in headlights, Comfortline misses out on features like touch screen audio, Bluetooth connectivity, electrical seat adjustment etc. And those alloys on the highline are much better looking as well.
Correction, you also lose two rear seat airbags also
Old 27th January 2014, 09:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the 3 Lakh difference on the ex showroom or on road price?

If its on On Road price then the kit that you get for highline is definitely worth going for. Xenons have far better illumination than halogens BTW
Old 27th January 2014, 10:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I thought 6 airbags are now standard across all the 3 variants. IIRC, the highline used to have 8 airbags (when launched) but lost two with the 2013 update.
Old 27th January 2014, 10:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Let me state that I had planned to buy a Comfortline Jetta and up-spec the stereo. But I would have to wait a few months and it would cost a lot ore due to price increases. TTo offset impending price increase and through a discount, I decided to buy a Highline in the same colour for what would have been Rs 50000 more than the new.

On hindsight, the Highline was ideal. The stereo is spot on and the wheels go well with the colour. Electric seats are more of a nice to have and a lot better than the clunky manual controls (the Skoda was a lot better) but i could live without it though.

Quote:
I thought 6 airbags are now standard across all the 3 variants. IIRC, the highline used to have 8 airbags (when launched) but lost two with the 2013 update.
You might be right, I have not checked 2013 specs, I knew VW added items not deleted

Last edited by ajmat : 27th January 2014 at 10:06.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 10:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The safety features are identical. The Comfortline also has the rear curtain airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is the 3 Lakh difference on the ex showroom or on road price?

If its on On Road price then the kit that you get for highline is definitely worth going for. Xenons have far better illumination than halogens BTW
All that matters is on-road price Jokes apart, the difference is around 3L between the MT Comfortline and MT Highline variants.

Bi-xenon's (from vagtune.in) + BT-enabled-touchscreen HU (like Blaupunkt 835 Philadelphia or the RCD 510 + OEM BT) would be 1L.

I don't much care about the rest of the kit that the Highline offers - I've to confess that I'm blase about even the Bi-xenon's.

Without the extended warranty, I'm very wary of going with the DSG.

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 27th January 2014 at 10:32. Reason: Mentioned VW OEM options for the HU
Old 27th January 2014, 10:21   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the Yeti?
As an owner over the last two years plus, I have only got positive feedback to share about my Yeti. It is just perfect for our requirements.

Having said this, here are some disadvantages:
1. Space: Passenger cabin space at the rear - at best this is a 4 seater car, where two adults can sit in the back seats but not for too long. Two children however, can sit happily for long periods.
2. Space: This is the ideal urban dwelling yuppie-mobile. People who have an active lifestyle will love it. Essentially a two seater with space for quite a lot of luggage.
3. Space: In our case, we cannot take both our dogs out in it at once unless it is at a pinch. And in order to take them out in it, I have to completely empty out the rear boot space and chuck our the parcel shelf etc, fold the rear seats completely flat, spread a big sheet on the rear area and let the doggies sit.
4. Space: Typical Indian family use-case requirements mean that one needs to transport 5 persons in the car from time to time. We also tend to carry a lot of stuff with us. The Yeti is not meant for such usage at all, because it will feel cramped inside.
5: Space: This vehicle completely fails my lateral golf bag test. When the golf bag is placed in the vehicle, one side of the rear seats have to be completely folded down to accommodate the golf bag longitudinally and the golf trolley only fits latitudinally in the boot space with a bit of juggling. If I put the rear seats completely down then the golf bag sits on top of the backs of the folded rear seats and the trolley sits laterally in the boot space. One has to work around all this paraphernalia to accommodate the other stuff like suitacases, bags, formal suit carriers, shoe bags etc. While we manage very well, my wife and I, it still involves a bit of legerdemain and sleight-of-packing, to squash everything in nicely.

Bottom-line, if you require a spacious, safe, fully loaded city plus highway cruiser, then just go straight back to the Laura or the new Octy or the Superb. You cant get better than these, for the price.

If you do have the budgets then perhaps you should think Jetta, Audi, Merc, Beemer, Volvo et al...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 10:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As an owner over the last two years plus, I have only got positive feedback to share about my Yeti. It is just perfect for our requirements.

Having said this, here are some disadvantages:
1. Space: Passenger cabin space at the rear - at best this is a 4 seater car, where two adults can sit in the back seats but not for too long. Two children however, can sit happily for long periods.
2. Space: This is the ideal urban dwelling yuppie-mobile. People who have an active lifestyle will love it. Essentially a two seater with space for quite a lot of luggage.
3. Space: In our case, we cannot take both our dogs out in it at once unless it is at a pinch. And in order to take them out in it, I have to completely empty out the rear boot space and chuck our the parcel shelf etc, fold the rear seats completely flat, spread a big sheet on the rear area and let the doggies sit.
4. Space: Typical Indian family use-case requirements mean that one needs to transport 5 persons in the car from time to time. We also tend to carry a lot of stuff with us. The Yeti is not meant for such usage at all, because it will feel cramped inside.
5: Space: This vehicle completely fails my lateral golf bag test. When the golf bag is placed in the vehicle, one side of the rear seats have to be completely folded down to accommodate the golf bag longitudinally and the golf trolley only fits latitudinally in the boot space with a bit of juggling. If I put the rear seats completely down then the golf bag sits on top of the backs of the folded rear seats and the trolley sits laterally in the boot space. One has to work around all this paraphernalia to accommodate the other stuff like suitacases, bags, formal suit carriers, shoe bags etc. While we manage very well, my wife and I, it still involves a bit of legerdemain and sleight-of-packing, to squash everything in nicely.

Bottom-line, if you require a spacious, safe, fully loaded city plus highway cruiser, then just go straight back to the Laura or the new Octy or the Superb. You cant get better than these, for the price.

If you do have the budgets then perhaps you should think Jetta, Audi, Merc, Beemer, Volvo et al...
Characteristically well put Shankar - thank you. This is very helpful. The above reasoning was what had discounted the Yeti for us 3 years earlier. While it is a tempting package, I don't think it is the right vehicle for us now

The Jetta and the Octavia are in the mix. We can't handle the Superb - too large for a bunch of basements which we visit frequently. My thoughts on spending more for other cars have already been documented
Old 27th January 2014, 10:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All that matters is on-road price Jokes apart, the difference is around 3L between the MT Comfortline and MT Highline variants.

Bi-xenon's (from vagtune.in) + BT-enabled-touchscreen HU (like Blaupunkt 835 Philadelphia) would be 1L. I don't much care about the rest of the kit that the Highline offers - I've to confess that I'm blase about even the Bi-xenon's

Without the extended warranty, I'm very wary of going with the DSG.
Then Comfortline is a good choice. You will be saving approx 2 lakhs if you get the Xenon and the HU from aftermarket, which is substantial. Safety features among the two are the same so does not make sense to buy the highline .

Buy the Manual 6 speed if you are wary of the DSG. Complete peace of mind
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 10:40   #29

Quote:
The Civic has been practically discontinued, unless you're referring to a used version. Also, I'm not sure if its alleged thirsty nature would be a fit.

The 2 assumptions that dropped the Cruze from the list were indifferent handling around curves and relative ground clearance. Any views to negate those assumptions?
Since you were willing to consider a used laura, thought i'd put the civic option out there as well (much better looking than the skoda, but i had the impression it was quite a frugal car for its size, being a honda and all )

For the cruze, a tyre upgrade improves handling a great deal, and if your budget allows for it, a suspension upgrade, would make it really good around corners.

No change in the GC though (165mm i believe)
Old 27th January 2014, 12:17   #30
BHPian

If you are open to used premium cars why not look at a Volvo S60? They are very safe. Look good. Handles well. Powerful enough. And for most parts an acceptable 5 seater. I am not too sure about maintenance costs though. And the boot space isn't class leading.

Any thoughts on a used X1?

Last edited by flipsyde : 27th January 2014 at 12:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks