Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 17:30   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
But this aside, the real question is - Would I risk it? NO! Because even though the problems are more niggles, the costs and times are atrocious. Before we sold the E Class & the 5 series (10 years & 9 years old respectively), our annual spend was Rs. 1Lakh a year each, with a down time of over a month each year.
Well that is a pretty hefty amount for maintenance, at least for me. So the conclusion seems to be 'a known devil is better than an unknown angel'. One would rather wait and buy from someone in the known circle. Thanks lamborghini and Ishaan.
Old 20th August 2017, 10:16   #512
BHPian

Should I go for a used Octavia 1.8 TSI for 9 lacs?

So I am in a big conundrum. Have been driving a Civic MT for 9 years and now want to upgrade to an automatic sedan, and came across a 2013 Octavia 1.8 TSI AT (top model elegance) done only 41000 kms. The car still has a couple of months of extended warranty left. Have negotiated the price with the seller for 9 lacs, which seems very tempting considering the new one would have costed him around 20 lacs 4 years back. However, I have gone through various threads in team bhp on the problems with DSG mated to the TSI engine and now I am extremely confused whether to go for this or not. I am used to the high levels of reliability been set by my Honda Civic.

So need views on this, especially on the following:

1) What is the probability that this DSG will go kaput?

2) If the DSG does go kaput, whats the expense I am looking at? I can keep this amount aside in the beginning for any repairs / replacements.

3) Any issues other than the DSG I need to be worried about?

Thanks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th August 2017 at 10:45. Reason: Post moved to an existing thread. Please search the forums before creating threads on topics extensively discussed. Thanks!
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 10:19   #513
BHPian

Re: Should I go for a used Octavia 1.8 TSI for 9 lacs?

Interesting thread so I am joining the discussion as I am trying to decide between a used Octy TSi and a new Vento TSi.
Old 21st August 2017, 13:09   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
I am used to the high levels of reliability been set by my Honda Civic.

So need views on this, especially on the following:

1) What is the probability that this DSG will go kaput?

2) If the DSG does go kaput, whats the expense I am looking at? I can keep this amount aside in the beginning for any repairs / replacements.

3) Any issues other than the DSG I need to be worried about?

Thanks.
Coming from a Jap, you will find that reliability on the Europeans generally isn't as good. That's not to say that Germans or Europeans are unreliable, but they need to be given a lot of tender loving care to maintain that reliability deep into their lives.

To answer your queries.

1) Most DSG issues reported on the forum are from TSI's, specifically related to the 1.8 TSI. Skoda says that they've taken steps to fix the issues with the gearbox, but some on here (notably adi_petrolhead) have had cars plagued with several issues, most notably the DSG.

2) Generally, it has been seen that Skoda does offer a goodwill coverage of the DSG coverage, especially when the mechatronics fail. It's a Rs. 1.5-2 Lakh expense if they don't, which is no small amount.

3) Issues beyond the DSG are merely niggles. I've read of several Octavia owners reporting of rattles from the car and from the sunroof, so that's something to be wary of. Beyond that, the car will be due for its 45000 KMS regular serving if it hasn't been done already. Even if it has, changing fluids, filters are highly recommended if you do pick up this baby.

Having been someone that swayed between the TDI and TSI engines before opting for the former, my advice would be to look for a TDI DSG simply because

1) It'll be more reliable and has been proven to be a robust workhorse in our conditions

2) From an economic standpoint, it makes more sense (better fuel economy, holds its value better too)

3) It's no slouch from a performance standpoint, especially once its remapped. It just sounds gruff.

The TDI v TSi discussion is a classic head v heart case, and if the heart wants what it wants, walk into it with your eyes wide open. Get a full service history and checkup done before you sign on that dotted line. Hope this helps.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 16:56   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Coming from a Jap, you will find that reliability on the Europeans generally isn't as good. That's not to say that Germans or Europeans are unreliable, but they need to be given a lot of tender loving care to maintain that reliability deep into their lives.

To answer your queries.

1) Most DSG issues reported on the forum are from TSI's, specifically related to the 1.8 TSI. Skoda says that they've taken steps to fix the issues with the gearbox, but some on here (notably adi_petrolhead) have had cars plagued with several issues, most notably the DSG.

2) Generally, it has been seen that Skoda does offer a goodwill coverage of the DSG coverage, especially when the mechatronics fail. It's a Rs. 1.5-2 Lakh expense if they don't, which is no small amount.

3) Issues beyond the DSG are merely niggles. I've read of several Octavia owners reporting of rattles from the car and from the sunroof, so that's something to be wary of. Beyond that, the car will be due for its 45000 KMS regular serving if it hasn't been done already. Even if it has, changing fluids, filters are highly recommended if you do pick up this baby.

Having been someone that swayed between the TDI and TSI engines before opting for the former, my advice would be to look for a TDI DSG simply because

1) It'll be more reliable and has been proven to be a robust workhorse in our conditions

2) From an economic standpoint, it makes more sense (better fuel economy, holds its value better too)

3) It's no slouch from a performance standpoint, especially once its remapped. It just sounds gruff.

The TDI v TSi discussion is a classic head v heart case, and if the heart wants what it wants, walk into it with your eyes wide open. Get a full service history and checkup done before you sign on that dotted line. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for your views. It really helps. However, the TDI version of Octavia are available for a premium of around 2.5 lacs òver the TSI in the used market. Is that much premium justified?

I was inclined towards this Octavia TSI as it was available as a great price. I could keep about 2 lacs aside mentally for any DSG failures in future, which may even be covered by Skoda as you say. So this might not only be a decision made by heart, makes some sense too?
Old 21st August 2017, 17:14   #516
Senior - BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

That premium in the used car market is a reflection of demand too, with most TDI's proving to be a popular choice, so dealers will look to make hay while the sun shines. I'd say the premium is justified for greater peace of mind w.r.t. reliability and the fact that the pinch is less when you fuel up. Beyond that, purely from a drivers perspective, the 1.8 TSI is a no-brainer.

I have to be honest with you. I have been very happy with my Jetta TDI over the last 3 and something years, but my thoughts increasingly veer towards a nice turbo petrol as my next car, the likes of the Mini Cooper S, 328i or even the 530i depending on how the garage shapes up in a couple of years. There is a certain song to the heart that a diesel just can't sing, and the note of a rev-happy petrol is a joy in and of itself. God knows I've mulled looking up a couple of used Octy 1.8 TSI's I've seen online, we've all been there!

I can see you're smitten by the TSI, and if that's the case there's hardly any sense in buying a car that doesn't catch your fancy. However, I'd ask you to indulge the head a bit too. Delve into the service records and state of the Octavia further before diving headfirst into it. Better the known devil and all that. The 1.8 TSI is an awful lot of car for 9 lakhs, just make sure you're not buying a lemon, life doesn't hand out tequila for free
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 23:37   #517

Need advise: In the market for a used Jetta or Laura 1.9 TDI MT

I am in the market for a used Laura or Jetta 1.9 TDI. Diesel cause I intend to use it as a mile muncher, the 1.9 over the 2.0 cause I have read that it is more reliable and a Laura or Jetta because those cars make me go *Huyaiah* (Anyone got the viral shorts prank video reference there?).

On a serious note though, I am more inclined towards the Laura than the Jetta, just a personal preference in the styling. I find it sportier looking.

I want to know what I should look out for when buying these cars, e.g., known niggles, mechanical problems and how to identify them, service/maintenance costs etc.

Any advise will be really appreciated.
Old 31st May 2023, 14:41   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advise: In the market for a used Jetta or Laura 1.9 TDI MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageraR View Post
I am in the market for a used Laura or Jetta 1.9 TDI. Diesel cause I intend to use it as a mile muncher, the 1.9 over the 2.0 cause I have read that it is more reliable and a Laura or Jetta because those cars make me go *Huyaiah* (Anyone got the viral shorts prank video reference there?).

On a serious note though, I am more inclined towards the Laura than the Jetta, just a personal preference in the styling. I find it sportier looking.

I want to know what I should look out for when buying these cars, e.g., known niggles, mechanical problems and how to identify them, service/maintenance costs etc.

What is your budget? The 1.9TDi was discontinued back in 2009 or 2010 so most examples would be 13+ years old and very rare to come by. Back then the Laura pre-facelift was available as a fully loaded variant and with suspect reliability due to a ton of features IIRC & the facelift brought prices under control and reliability also went up as did the sales numbers. Finding parts for the previous gen Jetta & Laura pre-facelift will also be a challenge and expensive.

Would be better to get the 2.0TDi, and the Jetta if you can depending on your budget - better part availability, newer models available, etc.
The 2.0TDi is also quite reliable, and the Jetta got 140BHP tune in the manuals too (Laura 2.0TDi MT was 110bhp tune).
Old 31st May 2023, 15:45   #519
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advise: In the market for a used Jetta or Laura 1.9 TDI MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageraR View Post

I would echo Lambo's advice, and say look for a 2.0 Jetta for the reasons he stated (a higher state of tune, newer, more reliable, easier parts availability).

In the time I had one of them, the only real reliability issues I faced were to do with ABS sensors that conked off (an inexpensive fix), a water pump failure, which is common (a pricey fix), and I replaced the dual-mass flywheel as well (mine was a DSG Jetta that I owned up until 68,000 kms).

On the whole, it was reliable, and would heartily recommend one of them.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 31st May 2023 at 15:45. Reason: Typo :(
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed