Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 19:14   #61
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thanks.I didn't know they offered it as an official accessory. Last I checked (2012) there was no such accessory for Jetta. May be they introduced it with the facelift in 2013.
It still is not. However, I have been offered this by a friendly Skoda service advisor as has been a friend of mine at Volkswagen. Of course, the price was higher than if I were to get it at a place like vagtune.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
The fact that the vehicle will be self driven somewhat rules the Elantra out. I think you had a good ASS experience with your Laura, therefore a Skoda should not be a problem. You should go for the Jetta I think for its better suspension and slightly cheaper price. Go with the Highline DSG with all the bells and whistles. If however you want to ferry people around, the Octavia is a better bet because it is much roomier than the Jetta, but the Jetta feels more solid and definitely rides better. But, the Jetta usually has large waiting periods and I suppose you need a car ASAP, therefore go for the Octavia. There have been a few horrors but it should be fine.
The situation is quite the inverse at the moment with the Jetta available in about 2 weeks and the Octavia taking about 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
@BackInTheFold, why not you have an eye on the corolla altis D, a no nonsense car from toyota, reliable to the max with safety goodies that you look for and a mile muncher with good FE and not so poor power
No offense - but the Corolla is not what comes to my mind after driving a Laura DSG. It is too big a step down in terms of power and handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
89bhp is not so poor power? Especially after coming from a 140bhp engine?

backinthefold - Buddy if you are decided on the Jetta get the highline DSG. The manual may seem tempting, but a week after you get it you will wish you had the DSG again. I know enough of people who had similar thoughts to you and now wish they had stuck with an automatic.

The xenons are a big deal for me, they are still better than halogens in the rain and now with the cornering function, etc they are a big help for night driving.
If I were to get a Highline, it would be only for the DSG. I'm just really nervous about the DSG minus the extended warranty, even one as robust as the 6-speed. If I can get my head around that, I might be tempted
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 20:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi! Missed this thread!

After going through all the posts, let me stick to only the Jetta.

If you are sure about MT, Comfortline is the VFM choice. Think no further.

If you want a bit more features (RCD 510 & Electric seat are a good addition) and not interested in LED DRL / Xenon's / ACC, try getting a 2013 HL MT. You may get a good discount. This will reduce the difference and make it real VFM.

I have driven my Jetta for about 11K kms in 4 months now. This includes 2 long tours of more than 1K kms each. Believe me: power / gear shift / control / brakes / ride / handling ... is superb!

Multi-link suspension has done a lot of difference to the ride quality / handling of this car - Body roll is very minimal - Gives us enormous confidence.

IMHO, for the product you get, Jetta is a real VFM. I am not a guy who cares about cosmetic features - Nor do I care about paying a little more, when I like every thing soooo much!

All the best!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 20:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
If I were to get a Highline, it would be only for the DSG. I'm just really nervous about the DSG minus the extended warranty, even one as robust as the 6-speed. If I can get my head around that, I might be tempted
Go for it buddy. the failure rates on the 6 speed have been few and far between compared to the 7 speed and even when someone's DSG has failed, it has been replaced almost or mostly free of charge under goodwill warranty.

Look, you're going to be really clocking the miles and travelling long distances by your own admission, and the DSG is perfect for that. Maybe I'm biased, because I'm a sucker for a quick shifting DSG, but for what it's worth you really should go for the Highline. Get all the bells and whistles you can, with a DSG thrown in for good measure.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 22:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:

Farewell, my old fan.
Having scribbled on it,
What could I do but tear it
At the end of summer?

- Matsuo Basho

==============
My wife is tired of hearing me debate this with myself and her. She just wishes that I choose a car and shut up. Help me please!
Well since you seem to have a certain comfort level with the SKODA A.S.S I would suggest you go with Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Ambition DSG. Its great engine and a well sorted car. Regarding the Jetta it seems to be a failed model in India and consequently in case you wish to see it after 4 years its value would have plummeted pretty badly.

Also you can think of the CRUZE LTZ AT as an alternative.

All the best for the new car!
Old 30th January 2014, 18:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi! Missed this thread!

After going through all the posts, let me stick to only the Jetta.

If you are sure about MT, Comfortline is the VFM choice. Think no further.

If you want a bit more features (RCD 510 & Electric seat are a good addition) and not interested in LED DRL / Xenon's / ACC, try getting a 2013 HL MT. You may get a good discount. This will reduce the difference and make it real VFM.

I have driven my Jetta for about 11K kms in 4 months now. This includes 2 long tours of more than 1K kms each. Believe me: power / gear shift / control / brakes / ride / handling ... is superb!

Multi-link suspension has done a lot of difference to the ride quality / handling of this car - Body roll is very minimal - Gives us enormous confidence.

IMHO, for the product you get, Jetta is a real VFM. I am not a guy who cares about cosmetic features - Nor do I care about paying a little more, when I like every thing soooo much!

All the best!
Thanks for stopping by. Always good to hear a happy owner reiterating the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Go for it buddy. the failure rates on the 6 speed have been few and far between compared to the 7 speed and even when someone's DSG has failed, it has been replaced almost or mostly free of charge under goodwill warranty.

Look, you're going to be really clocking the miles and travelling long distances by your own admission, and the DSG is perfect for that. Maybe I'm biased, because I'm a sucker for a quick shifting DSG, but for what it's worth you really should go for the Highline. Get all the bells and whistles you can, with a DSG thrown in for good measure.
I hear you. Let's see - a couple of us are talking now to see if we can arrive at a common car. We (and I) should make up our mind shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
Well since you seem to have a certain comfort level with the SKODA A.S.S I would suggest you go with Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Ambition DSG. Its great engine and a well sorted car. Regarding the Jetta it seems to be a failed model in India and consequently in case you wish to see it after 4 years its value would have plummeted pretty badly.

Also you can think of the CRUZE LTZ AT as an alternative.

All the best for the new car!
Thanks. The Octavia 1.8 TSI is on the short list.

Resale value is not top of mind at the moment - I'd rather have a car that I'm reasonably happy with for the next 3-4 years.

There has been enough said about the CRUZE AT already on this thread which mirrors my thinking. Might not be the car for me, given my requirements
Old 30th January 2014, 18:55   #66
Team-BHP Support

Increase your budget and wait for the Santa Fe. Might be a stretch and the dynamics will not be as good but the practicality is worth it given Bangalore roads.
Old 30th January 2014, 21:49   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Increase your budget and wait for the Santa Fe. Might be a stretch and the dynamics will not be as good but the practicality is worth it given Bangalore roads.
That' same thought.

From what I know, the 2WD manual version of the SF would be about 27 lakhs on the road. I'd rather swallow my reservations about the extended warranty and buy the Jetta Highline DSG for about 24 lakhs than shell out more for handling/dynamics that I don't like
Old 30th January 2014, 22:41   #68
BHPian

The Jetta Highline seems to be the best option. Go for the Highline as it has Xenons and those classy alloys. Apart from providing better visibility it makes the entire car complete. The Jetta without the Xenons looked a bit blue collarish. The Xenons make it complete.
Old 3rd February 2014, 19:59   #69
BHPian

So what's the current status Backinthefold?

I am in a similar quandary, deciding between the Jetta/Octy/Elantra.

This thread has been most useful. Do let me know if the Jetta buying process was good and discounts / freebies if any.

Am also considering a <1 yr old used C class or A4 as I can wait to get a good vehicle.
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
So what's the current status Backinthefold?

I am in a similar quandary, deciding between the Jetta/Octy/Elantra.

This thread has been most useful. Do let me know if the Jetta buying process was good and discounts / freebies if any.

Am also considering a <1 yr old used C class or A4 as I can wait to get a good vehicle.
I saw your thread and was going to suggest that you stop by here since it could be useful reading

I explicitly have ruled out the option for the used C-class or the A4, so cannot comment much on that front. You've already read about the shortlisting process from among the other contenders.

I'm leaning towards the Jetta Comfortline or Highline AT and am waiting for the details on the Feb offers. I'll update this thread as soon as I hear from the dealers.
Old 3rd February 2014, 20:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I saw your thread and was going to suggest that you stop by here since it could be useful reading

I explicitly have ruled out the option for the used C-class or the A4, so cannot comment much on that front. You've already read about the shortlisting process from among the other contenders.

I'm leaning towards the Jetta Comfortline or Highline AT and am waiting for the details on the Feb offers. I'll update this thread as soon as I hear from the dealers.
I am also on the same boat. I am told that there is no 2014 VW Jetta yet. The 2014 Jetta comes with a 4 month waiting period atleast in trivandrum. The car offered to you is 2013 I presume. The discount I can get here is hovering around 60K for highline after initial negotiation. SA did also mention a 2.5% hike last week which turned out to be true although for Polo and vento only. Now he also mentioned that there will be no discount for 2014 cars for the time being and this was communicated to them at a training in Bangalore in Jan.Superb is looking more and more interesting. Waiting for the pricing now.
Old 3rd February 2014, 21:46   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I am also on the same boat. I am told that there is no 2014 VW Jetta yet. The 2014 Jetta comes with a 4 month waiting period atleast in trivandrum. The car offered to you is 2013 I presume. The discount I can get here is hovering around 60K for highline after initial negotiation. SA did also mention a 2.5% hike last week which turned out to be true although for Polo and vento only. Now he also mentioned that there will be no discount for 2014 cars for the time being and this was communicated to them at a training in Bangalore in Jan.Superb is looking more and more interesting. Waiting for the pricing now.
The dealers I've spoken to so far have made some noises about a 2-week delivery time for a 2014 manufactured car. I'll extract a more realistic date once they tell me what the offers are.

You may well be right since I've heard of previous-year Jetta's sold all the way until May the next year. We'll trade notes in a couple of days
Old 4th February 2014, 08:12   #73
BHPian

Had made queries about Jetta in December 2013 and at that time they had mentioned that the refreshed version would be available in Jan 2014 (end).

Older versions were available at minor discounts. Since I wanted all the bells and whistles I have booked the Highline MT and am waiting for delivery!

One thing I can say for sure is that VW sells its cars very reluctantly!

The detailed buying experience would follow in a separate thread after VW is kind enough to give me a car

Last edited by raichoudhury : 4th February 2014 at 08:16.
raichoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 09:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
Had made queries about Jetta in December 2013 and at that time they had mentioned that the refreshed version would be available in Jan 2014 (end).

Older versions were available at minor discounts. Since I wanted all the bells and whistles I have booked the Highline MT and am waiting for delivery!

One thing I can say for sure is that VW sells its cars very reluctantly!

The detailed buying experience would follow in a separate thread after VW is kind enough to give me a car
I am doubtful of that promise of 2 weeks.Do double check the VIN with WILDON, here in the forum before signing the dotted line. Do ask them to tell you the cut off VIN number for 2013 that they have to give to RTO to start 2014 registrations. VW have not yet notified that.
I agree with you. I have always felt that VW showroom is doing you a favour by agreeing to sell cars.
Old 4th February 2014, 10:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am told that there is no 2014 VW Jetta yet. The 2014 Jetta comes with a 4 month waiting period atleast in trivandrum.
Quote:
The dealers I've spoken to so far have made some noises about a 2-week delivery time for a 2014 manufactured car.
Quote:
I am doubtful of that promise of 2 weeks.
I booked the Jetta on 26th January and the car arrived at the dealer's stockyard yesterday, 3rd February. That's because someone else cancelled their order or shifted it and I was bumped up the queue.

Was told by the sales rep that since the Jetta is CKD, it'll show as being imported in December but the form 22 will mention Jan 2014 as the manufacturing date since that's when it was assembled. He even offered to share the form 22 with me, and I've asked him for a copy of that. He should give it to me today.

If it helps, the VIN number is WVWM13164EA550449. I tried using the decoder link that was shared on Team-BHP, but it wasn't very informative.
A quick online search showed that the car model was indeed a 2014 model, but I can't tell the month of manufacture. It's showing December, but not sure if that's the month of manufacture or import.

Any thoughts guys? I'm not entirely averse to taking a 2013 car, but I will haggle for more discounts if it is so. Hopefully the form 22 clears my confusion up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks