Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 18:57   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congratulations. I have always been a fan of the Jetta specially with the new taillight design. a much better choice if you ask me compared to waiting endlessly for that Octavia.
Thank you very much for the wishes, drmohitg. And yes, I am totally done with the waiting game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
On a lighter note, our buying stories took similar paths, but I played a t20 game and you're playing out a test match!
Maybe that is because I am getting old

Quote:
I understand the disappointment of losing out on the 1.8 TSI, but it's all for the best. Besides, it's a car that both your wife and you love with very few, if any, compromises. Congratulations, hope the last leg of your buying experience is a smooth one.
Thank you very much for the wishes! You are THE reason for my changing over from petrol to Diesel!

Edit: I have shared my test drive experience in the below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3397035

Last edited by graaja : 23rd March 2014 at 19:00. Reason: Adding link to test drive experience
Old 23rd March 2014, 23:00   #107
BHPian

Glad I found this thread, I'm stuck between the Jetta and Octavia as well. I know its been done before, but here's the pros and cons based on my test drives (both 2.0TDI manual):

Jetta+: Quieter (road and engine noise were lower, including rear suspension), better rear seat ride, doors feel very solid
Jetta-: Dated look (both dash as well as exterior), large rear AC unit makes 5 adults impractical for intercity drives, not as peppy as the Octavia

Octavia+: Responds better to throttle inputs, fresher look
Octavia-: Stiff, noisy rear suspension, engine is more audible in the cabin above 2000rpm, Skoda after sales

Here in Rajkot, Gujarat, they're promising Octavia delivery in 2 months, at the end of May. There's a red unit in stock which is available immediately, but I'm not too fond of it.

Questions: Is that 2 month Octavia promise realistic? When is the Jetta MQB expected to arrive?

I bought my Mercedes shortly before it was facelifted and that made me rather unhappy, I'm keen not to have a repeat of that. I'd also like a new car in a reasonable timeframe (1-2 months wait is ok).

So Jetta, Octavia, or should I look for a good, low mileage X1 instead? Budget is 20lac.
Old 24th March 2014, 04:33   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohels View Post
Glad I found this thread, I'm stuck between the Jetta and Octavia as well. I know its been done before, but here's the pros and cons based on my test drives (both 2.0TDI manual):

Jetta+: Quieter (road and engine noise were lower, including rear suspension), better rear seat ride, doors feel very solid
Jetta-: Dated look (both dash as well as exterior), large rear AC unit makes 5 adults impractical for intercity drives, not as peppy as the Octavia

Octavia+: Responds better to throttle inputs, fresher look
Octavia-: Stiff, noisy rear suspension, engine is more audible in the cabin above 2000rpm, Skoda after sales

Here in Rajkot, Gujarat, they're promising Octavia delivery in 2 months, at the end of May. There's a red unit in stock which is available immediately, but I'm not too fond of it.

Questions: Is that 2 month Octavia promise realistic? When is the Jetta MQB expected to arrive?

I bought my Mercedes shortly before it was facelifted and that made me rather unhappy, I'm keen not to have a repeat of that. I'd also like a new car in a reasonable timeframe (1-2 months wait is ok).

So Jetta, Octavia, or should I look for a good, low mileage X1 instead? Budget is 20lac.
Totally agree with your comments on the plus and minus of Jetta and Octavia. In terms of fresh looks, space and equipment levels, Octavia trumps the Jetta. In terms of performance, Jetta is better off because of the lower NVH levels and the multi-link suspension and the solid build. Also, if you are looking for the mid variant, then Jetta has more safety kit - 6 airbags vs. 2 in Octavia.

Delivery was the problem with my Octavia booking. During enquiry stage in early December, I was promised a delivery in March, during booking in late December, I was told March or April, but a few days back I was told delivery earliest by May. In fact, the SA went as far as hinting me to look for another car. But this is for a Petrol variant in Coimbatore. Diesel being the one that sells more may have more realistic waiting times. Also, if the dealer has more clout with the manufacturer the waiting times may be less. So, it is quite possible that you may get the car in 2 months.

Regarding Jetta MQB, that is a tough decision to make (more like playing the stock market). I remember having read sometime back in this forum that VW has no plans for new cars for India till 2016 (other members could throw more light on this). Google Jetta MQB and there is no hint of an imminent release of Jetta in the MQB platform. Only the below article that talks about the 2015 Jetta spy shots, which is based on PQ35, not MQB.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...etta-spy-shots

But there is this equal possibility that VW is keeping everything under the wraps and announces the MQB based Jetta in 2015!! It is anybody's guess.

If I were you, I would stop worrying about Jetta MQB and make the decision solely based on the Octavia and Jetta as they exist today. You should make your choice based on what is important to you - fresh looks, space and equipment levels or performance and build.

Good luck hunting
Old 24th March 2014, 09:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here in Rajkot, Gujarat, they're promising Octavia delivery in 2 months.

I'd take that dealer's promise with a pinch of salt, 2 months is not bad a lead time at all but I'm unsure if they can live upto it.

If I were you, I'd make the booking for the Octavia and hold onto it. You'll have a better idea of where you stand w.r.t. delivery after a month or so, and you can always cancel your booking then. Jetta's are available more easily, so you'd still be able to get a Jetta within that 2 month timeframe if you opted to switch over.

Like Graaja said, the arrival of the MQB Jetta is a mystery to everyone, but 2016 looks very likely based on recent VW interviews.

I've been objective thus far, but I'll add a bit of personal opinion: don't go for the X1, it's really ugly. It has nothing going for it besides the badge. Tell me, if it were a Hyundai, Honda or say Renault, would you give it a second look or thought?

If at all you still look at an X1, please ensure you have BSI for it, either bundled along with the car or purchased by you separately. That is the one big advantage BMW's have.

Go ahead and book the Octavia, but also enquire about the delivery time for a Jetta, just FYI.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 21:11   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Also, if you are looking for the mid variant, then Jetta has more safety kit - 6 airbags vs. 2 in Octavia.
Yes, I missed mentioning that. I'm indeed looking for the mid variant manuals since in addition to my daily routine, this car will be used for most of our intercity chauffeur-driven trips, so I prefer the reliability and efficiency over the DSG.

Quote:
I'd take that dealer's promise with a pinch of salt, 2 months is not bad a lead time at all but I'm unsure if they can live upto it.

If I were you, I'd make the booking for the Octavia and hold onto it. You'll have a better idea of where you stand w.r.t. delivery after a month or so, and you can always cancel your booking then.

I've been objective thus far, but I'll add a bit of personal opinion: don't go for the X1
I've driven a friend's X1 and found it to be well put together. The diesel was punchy, and yes the badge doesn't hurt!

But you're probably right, a brand new Jetta at 17.5 or a Octavia at 18.8 are probably better options (both on-road quotes for mid variant manual diesels).

I'm leaning towards the Octavia at the moment, though the price differential, lower wait, and better after sales make Jetta the more practical option.
Old 24th March 2014, 22:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've driven a friend's X1 and found it to be well put together. The diesel was punchy, and yes the badge doesn't hurt!

But you're probably right, a brand new Jetta at 17.5 or a Octavia at 18.8 are probably better options (both on-road quotes for mid variant manual diesels).

I'm leaning towards the Octavia at the moment, though the price differential, lower wait, and better after sales make Jetta the more practical option.
Without a doubt the X1 is well put together, you'll find no argument from me saying otherwise. It's just that it makes little sense over a brand new Jetta or Octavia, especially since they can be tuned to provide some serious punch too.

What does the Octavia offer extra over the Jetta's mid-variant? You can't go wrong with either car in diesel avatar, but I'm curious as to what an extra 1.3 lakhs gets you in the Octavia.
Old 24th March 2014, 22:30   #112
BHPian

Quote:
What does the Octavia offer extra over the Jetta's mid-variant? You can't go wrong with either car in diesel avatar, but I'm curious as to what an extra 1.3 lakhs gets you in the Octavia.
When I buy a new car, I want freshness inside and out. I just don't get that in the Jetta. Plus, I thought the Octavia offered the more enjoyable drive - it responded better to throttle inputs at lower RPMs, and I got more of that 'pinned in the seat' feeling between 2-4K RPM. Not sure why - combination of lighter weight plus larger torque spread (though both advantages are slight)? And I'm not sure how the steering ratios compare, but for some reason Octavia's felt more 'direct'.

Perhaps it was all in my head, but overall the Jetta felt a generation older.
Old 24th March 2014, 23:10   #113
Senior - BHPian

You got me all wrong buddy. I was literally asking what the Octavia offers extra in terms of features! I too agree that the Octavia feels newer/fresher, but my knowledge of the Ambition trim's specs is very fuzzy, which is why I asked.
Old 25th March 2014, 05:22   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I missed mentioning that. I'm indeed looking for the mid variant manuals since in addition to my daily routine, this car will be used for most of our intercity chauffeur-driven trips, so I prefer the reliability and efficiency over the DSG.

Quote:
You got me all wrong buddy. I was literally asking what the Octavia offers extra in terms of features! I too agree that the Octavia feels newer/fresher, but my knowledge of the Ambition trim's specs is very fuzzy, which is why I asked.
Below is a small comparision between Jetta and Octavia in the mid and high end variants.

High End:
Jetta - No sunroof, no BiXenon AFS, 6 airbags, multi-link supspension, smaller boot space, old look
Octavia - Sunroof, BiXenons with AFS, 6 airbags, torsion beam suspension, huge boot, fresh look

Mid End:
Jetta - No sunroof, no Bixenons, 6 airbags, multi-link suspension, smaller boot space, old look
Octavia - No sunroof, no Bixenons, 2 airbags, torsion beam suspension, huge boot space, fresh look

In the high end, except for the suspension, Octavia either matches or exceeds Jetta in all features. If you go for the mid variant, the only advantage Octavia holds are the fresh looks and boot space. I cannot think of any other feature that the mid variant Octavia has

@sohels, if you are going to have many chauffer driven trips where you will be occupying the back seat, the multi-link suspension in Jetta adds an advantage.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Below is a small comparision between Jetta and Octavia in the mid and high end variants.
Thankoo Graaja. We keep on bumping into each other lol.

I could easily rattle off the difference between the top-end Jetta and Octavia, not so for the mid-end, so thanks for that.

If I remember correctly, the Ambition also gets a touchscreen which is better than the Jetta's head unit. The top end of both is where the value for money lies though, simply on account of the number of features the Octavia packs in and the looks of the top-end Jetta compared to a variant down.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 09:14   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thankoo Graaja. We keep on bumping into each other lol.

I could easily rattle off the difference between the top-end Jetta and Octavia, not so for the mid-end, so thanks for that.

If I remember correctly, the Ambition also gets a touchscreen which is better than the Jetta's head unit. The top end of both is where the value for money lies though, simply on account of the number of features the Octavia packs in and the looks of the top-end Jetta compared to a variant down.
Looking forward to bumping with you more after getting the Jetta . So many improvements in scope - remapping, suspension, AFS etc.

And in the recent times, I have made so many excel sheet comparisions of the Jetta and Octavia, I feel I could have a part time job of selling these cars!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 10:49   #117
Senior - BHPian

A wee bit OT people, and Graaja, I never bothered commenting this time because I could already see that you were heading in the right direction with dropping the Skoda; The Germans really do make good diesels and the best way to enjoy that is with a multilink suspension and not some less sophisticated american setup . Meanwhile, I see you guys comparing the two cars a lot and bashing the Jetta a bit for its smaller boot. Just felt like pointing out, if it weren't for the Octavia, that would be one of the largest in the segment. The rest of us are happy with cars that have 450 odd liters of space and so are the critics who say anything more than 400 is a decent amount so I believe 510 liters of boots space is bloody good and anything more than that does not demean its value
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:50   #118
BHPian

Update: Went to book the Octavia today, a second sales guy said delivery will take 4-5 months. The red one in stock found no love from the missus. Jetta is back on the cards now!
Old 25th March 2014, 12:22   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the difference between xenons and bixenons? I see the point being talked about in the comparison above between the 2 Germans.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:54   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Graaja, I never bothered commenting this time because I could already see that you were heading in the right direction with dropping the Skoda; The Germans really do make good diesels and the best way to enjoy that is with a multilink suspension and not some less sophisticated american setup .
Hi, thank you very much. Like iturtles said in one of his comments, maybe the universe is talking to me by way of delayed Octavia delivery and pushed me towards Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Meanwhile, I see you guys comparing the two cars a lot and bashing the Jetta a bit for its smaller boot. Just felt like pointing out, if it weren't for the Octavia, that would be one of the largest in the segment. The rest of us are happy with cars that have 450 odd liters of space and so are the critics who say anything more than 400 is a decent amount so I believe 510 liters of boots space is bloody good and anything more than that does not demean its value
Actually, I did not mean the boot of Jetta to be small. In fact Jetta with 510 liters of boot is more than adequate. Just another 80 liters more in the Octavia is not that significant. What I was comparing more was the access to the boot. In Octavia, due to the notchback opening, the access to the boot is huge. Also, the way the parcel tray can be slid in the Octavia similar to a hatchback increases the boot space and when the seats are folded down, with the combination of the notchback opening, the boot space becomes like a pickup truck

Quote:
Update: Went to book the Octavia today, a second sales guy said delivery will take 4-5 months. The red one in stock found no love from the missus. Jetta is back on the cards now!
Looks like some serious problem with Octavia production schedule, maybe in the source itself, Czech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is the difference between xenons and bixenons? I see the point being talked about in the comparison above between the 2 Germans.
Here is an article that explains Xenons and Bi-Xenons. Simply put, Xenons use two physical bulbs one for high beam and one for low beam. A Bi-Xenon uses a single bulb with either a movable bulb, or a movable reflector for high and low beams.

http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...-and-bi-xenon/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks