Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2006, 16:25   #31
GTS
BHPian

Amit,
With the kind of usage that I have...comfort is more what I prefer to FE and other parameters...so I guess Aveo would fit my bill perfectly....(though it exceeds my bill by about 60k!)

Supremo Baleno,
The Aveo 1.4 version would be it. Yea this is out of my planned budget but then cars are about passion. I wouldnt mind spending a bit more on what my heart says rather than listen to my 'stupid' mind *grin*

Lol...if you think this catapults me into the league of the 'nauseatingly rich docs' I would gladly sit there...but this time lets call it: "the docs who have a greater heart than a mind" *wink*

In medicine 'Balano' refers to ____ (check it up on the free medical dictionary). Wonder why the Maruti peeps would want to name a fantastic vehicle so. Or is it phonetically similarly named on purpose? :P

Nitin,
Yea, I know...all your well meaning comments went for a toss...sorry guys... I just couldnt help it! But your black teflon coated Ikon is gorgeous.

Finney,
Yaaaay. Cheers to the Aveo....but the 1.4 version should be more than enough for my kinda driving and requirements.

Normally Crazy,
Thanks mod. After a lot of comments that came in saying that both the esteem and the Flair are outdated...I thought a newer car would suit me fine and what better than the Aveo whose interiors and ride are far superior than that of the Fiesta.

Sizzler,
To be precise I had read your post on the Aveo with great interest and frankly your post too had a major influence in my decision to go in for the Aveo. I have a cuz who has the Fiesta and I dont really think he is gaga over his purchase. The OTR price in Chennai is 6.6. (Sundaram Motors). How much did you get it for? Any inputs that can be of use to me? Sure I will be buzzing you a lot in the days to come. One bud of mine does own an Aveo but an input out here from TBhp would be more valid than others I guess!

Cheers TBhp.

Ok pals...I think I need another help from you folks....: "How do you get 'de-addicted' from TBhp?" I am hooked! Is there some kinda detox proggie? :P
Old 17th July 2006, 16:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Ok pals...I think I need another help from you folks....: "How do you get 'de-addicted' from TBhp?" I am hooked! Is there some kinda detox proggie? :P
Welcome to the club. And BTW, you are the doc, remember ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Supremo Baleno, The Aveo 1.4 version would be it. Yea this is out of my planned budget but then cars are about passion. I wouldnt mind spending a bit more on what my heart says rather than listen to my 'stupid' mind *grin*
Go for it, if that is what your heart says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
In medicine 'Balano' refers to ____ (check it up on the free medical dictionary). Wonder why the Maruti peeps would want to name a fantastic vehicle so. Or is it phonetically similarly named on purpose? :P
Checked it out.
But then it is Baleno (not Balano). Anyway, long time ago, I did try a lot to find what the term means - without much success. The closest I came to was some Italian meanings "greased lightning", "flash of light" etc.
What's "greased lightning" BTW ? Anyone ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th July 2006 at 16:38.
Old 17th July 2006, 16:43   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Hello fine folks. I am planning to buy a new car in the near future and I want all you knowledgeable peeps to help me out. Before that let me give you some details about me, my profession and my driving requirements.

1) I am a Physician doing private practice in Chennai. I practice in my house (my study is the clinic) so there is no need for me to commute to my workplace. The car is going to be entirely for leisure travel.

2) I also do house calls in my area, but I use my battered old bike (KB100 RTZ) to do so. It is quicker, easier to park anywhere and more efficient in terms of money so that I dont have to overcharge the patient whom I am attending.

3) I currently own an old Maruti 800 (which my best friend teases saying its a Baleno

4) I am not interested in hatchbacks or diesel cars.

5) Which is the right time to buy a car (meaning when will the dealers usually offer discounts)

6) Though I plan to go with SBI finance (I am an account holder) for the vehicle, do you suggest any other good finance options.

7) My proposed driving requirements:
----once a week leisure trip within the city but only between 10pm and 12
-----four 200km (to and fro) trips a year
----two 1500km (to and fro) trips a year

8) Most importantly, the budget is between 5 and 6 lakhs. I am not one of those nauseatingly rich docs )))

Thanks in advance, hope I am not asking much!

Doctor you can buy an Innova Petrol VTTi will cost much more than your budget but is quite refined and big on space.
Also if you buy it in white it will double up as an ambulance.
Just Joking.
Old 17th July 2006, 17:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
What's "greased lightning" BTW ? Anyone ?
Lightning (in the context of speed) is QUICK as a flash so greased lightning is like QUICKER!!! Like a streak you may say......
Old 10th August 2006, 05:02   #35
GTS
BHPian

Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyrahul
Doctor you can buy an Innova Petrol VTTi will cost much more than your budget but is quite refined and big on space.
Also if you buy it in white it will double up as an ambulance.
Rahul: Lol. Thank God Innovas dont come in black, or else someone would be advising to me drive my 'treatment failures' in them. (I know that was some sick humour. Btw, was that a pun? lol)

It had to go this way! After reviewing and re-reviewing a lot of cars, I finally decided to settle on a Baleno! Another back somersault, so this is my second!

Ford Flair: Just an entry level Sedan
Esteem Vxi: The pseudo big car as someone had rightly put it
Fiesta: Boring looks, new vehicle, according to some Ford's A.S.S is costly
Aveo: New Vehicle, GM's service in Chennai is questionable and a Corsa owner begs me not to go in for a GM vehicle in Chennai
Honda City Exi: Too pricey, not worth the bucks, besides Honda has only one dealer in Chennai (Sundaram Motors) and apparently they suck big time.
Fiat Adventure: I dont want to risk my hard earned bucks!

So it is the Baleno all the way! Yaaay!
Black Baleno Lxi, not interested in the climate control thingamajig. I think I will fit some neat alloys, rear spoiler on day 1 and leather interiors, decent ICE within a month of purchasing the car.

BUT, the big thing is: When do I purchase it? I was thinking somewhere around the New Year 2007.

Reason: What the monsoons on here in Chennai (though sporadic rains) and also the Chikangangya fever, Joint pains, chest pains, I have my hands full, so I will have hardly any time to enjoy the purchase of my new vehicle. Around January things 'might' ease up a bit, so....

BUT....will Maruti keep giving the 60k discount till that time? Any idea folks? Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

GTS
Old 10th August 2006, 06:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, you could get it now and enjoy it as you go .. else get it in december with any discounts at that time, and register it in Jan to have a 2007 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Rahul: Lol. Thank God Innovas dont come in black,...
Toyota is advertising for a black Innova .. but hopefully, you'll never need one..
Old 10th August 2006, 10:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Honda City Exi: besides Honda has only one dealer in Chennai (Sundaram Motors) and apparently they suck big time.
You are right. They act pricey since they are the only dealers in town. I did consider the NHC while in the market for a car and checked with Sundaram Motors. They stuck to their quoted price - no freebies, no discounts. The on road price was 7.42L and the sales guy had the gall to say that he will reduce 2K as discount. But then after a month they SMS-ed me saying regn+tax is free ie 40K off. With NHC being the best seller in the segment, why can't Honda add a couple dealers more ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
will Maruti keep giving the 60k discount till that time? Any idea folks?
The discounts will continue till they are selling the Baleno. They increase the price even a bit and people will go buy the Aveos or Fiestas or NHCs. And I am sure MUL knows that.
Old 10th August 2006, 10:40   #38
BHPian

Doctor, with your budget and cost consciousness the choice for you is either the Accent GLE or the Baleno. Hyundai has clarified that Accent wont be discontinued. It will go along with the Verna. Now some points for both cars:

Accent - Better looking (Interiors). Exterior personal opinions. Low maintenance costs.

Baleno - Looks better in black color. Performance and mileage better than Accent. Better interior space.

Resale value of both cars may be almost the same since both are old models. Yes, the Baleno seems to be the favorite.

But before that have a look in and out and test drive both the cars.
Old 10th August 2006, 10:56   #39
BHPian

Hey doc,

Checkout the Ford Fusion too. The new model is just 5.69 lakhs ex-showroom, and that beast feels as big as a house. Take a testdrive, you'll be hooked. Another doc on Team-bhp wrote a review here sometime before.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...rd-fusion.html

Happy car hunting!
Old 11th August 2006, 09:42   #40
GTS
BHPian

Condore:Thats what I think I will do. Get it some time at the end of Dec and register in Jan 07 so that when I sell it around Dec 2010, I can 'pass' it off as a 3 yr old car

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
but hopefully, you'll never need one
Thank the Lord for small mercies!

Supremo Baleno: Probably Sundaram Motors want to retain their monopoly. Sundaram Motors has the other 2 available dealerships in TN--Madurai and Kovai. The thought of TVS has taken my mind not only off Honda, but also the Aveo. Coz they are the only other dealer apart from MPL Auto for the Aveo!

And, yea, I think you are right....MUL would be doling out the discount for more time to come. I guess, instead of calling it a price slash, they are euphemistically calling it a 'discount'.

Adarsh: I do value your advice a lot, but I've never fancied a Korean car, dont know why. Besides, I wouldnt want to be buying the poorer cousin of the Verna. I am waiting till the end of Dec, lets see if I do another somersault once the Verna is launched!!

Ballkey: I went through that link, thanks a lot bud. But as I had mentioned earlier, a hatch or an estate type body isnt what I am looking at. Its a sedan that I am gunning for though there was a slight sway in favour of the Adventure somewhere between.
Old 14th August 2006, 12:46   #41
GTS
BHPian

Update

Guys help me out here again!

Khivraj Motors in Chennai have come down to 5.6 lakhs after all the discounts (no freebies) for the Baleno Lxi after a lot of haggling. Is this fine as far as Chennai City price is concerned? Baleno owners your inputs plz and also if possible mention the rate at which you bought it.

Thanks in advance
Old 14th August 2006, 13:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Guys help me out here again!

Khivraj Motors in Chennai have come down to 5.6 lakhs after all the discounts (no freebies) for the Baleno Lxi after a lot of haggling. Is this fine as far as Chennai City price is concerned? Baleno owners your inputs plz and also if possible mention the rate at which you bought it.

Thanks in advance
i think if u r really serious about buying a car, u should be doing so right now...this is a fast changing world, doc. what u discuss here now may not be applicable next year. people's perceptions can change without notice. i think u r just having a fine time in this forum, being hypthetical.

about the baleno... there is no better time than now (i.e) if u have made up ur mind already. mul will increase the price by cutting the discounts once aveo & fiesta have fully settled into the market & the ultimate opinions come rolling around.
Old 14th August 2006, 13:52   #43
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
i think u r just having a fine time in this forum, being hypthetical.lol
Bud, I couldnt cotton out what you said. Mind elucidating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
mul will increase the price by cutting the discounts once aveo & fiesta have fully settled into the market & the ultimate opinions come rolling around.
What might be those 'ultimate opinions'?

PS: If I get a good price I dont mind settling the deal in a day or two!
Old 14th August 2006, 14:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Bud, I couldnt cotton out what you said. Mind elucidating?

Quote:
What might be those 'ultimate opinions'?
PS: If I get a good price I dont mind settling the deal in a day or two!
see, whenever a new car comes around, it is initially tested by various auto gurus & the opinions are "aired",so to say to the discerning public. With this, a public mindset is created. it is only after 1 or 2 years of this new models being on the road, that u really know its worth in our conditions & what sort of people can really have that kind of car.

u take the example of the Fiats, these were truly good machines, came with terific reviews & write ups... but where is it now ??? now the reverse example.....take baleno...this car took 2 - 3 years to really start selling. u know why...it did not have rave reviews nor did it have the appealing look to it. but it has now established itself as a performer & true value for money (Ofcourse the discounts help). the real test of a car is how long it will be in the market successfully.
Old 17th August 2006, 16:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
5.6L seems to be a good price. But then check out other dealers also.
Pit them against this price and you might be able to possibly lower it even further. When I bought it in Mar05, the price I paid was 5.8L after all discounts (no freebies). Or, if possible ask them to throw in the original SGA fog lamps (13K). That should be a cool accessory for the Baleno.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks