Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 12:43   #76
BHPian

Re: A Used Baleno - Is it worth it?

Since you are based out at Kolkata, I have heard that sourcing parts of Baleno are a headache. But since your friend has a garage, you are in luck. But upgrading from a 7 year old Esteem to a 9 year old Baleno is not that wise. Esteem is itself a wonderful car and is good for point to point commute. I have heard that Baleno has Ground Clearance issues. Get this clarified before you make a purchase since roads and alleyways in West Bengal are full of bumpers, craters and potholes. If you have to upgrade go for a Dzire of current make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Got a deal on a 2005 Baleno Lxi (46k kms on the odo) for 1L. Tyres are in pretty good shape with Aura alloys. No visible rust or major dents. Thinking of replacing my 2007 Esteem Vxi (85k run ) with it. Other options are there which I am very eager, however my heart says the Baleno.

It will be my daily drive for the next year or 2 before I buy another hatchback and this will be restricted to weekend and long drives.

Will this be a sensible change ?

P.S. I have a friend who owns a workshop and a 2000 Baleno maintained very well and he should be able to arrange for parts.
Old 17th August 2014, 19:24   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Hi GTO, We have a 1986-Maruti 800 which is also running fine - that's the car I learnt my driving on and which I use for most stuff now. It however needs a *lot* of body work (estimates are Rs. 15-20k) and my parents and I are all agreed that it would be tempting fate to take it out on a 14 km run one-way on a regular basis (for my office). My mother has a 1 year old VW Polo but I don't want to spoil it with erratic gear shift and novice dents.

That's why I decided to buy a cheap sedan until 2016 or 2017 when I would buy a new sedan. Actually I did consider a WagonR but that won't help me get used to sedan-like dimensions while driving / parking, hence the intent to buy a used sedan. This is just something temporary to absorb the "punishment" till I get my driving skills honed. Otherwise after 3 years I'll be hesitant to buy a new Honda City / Toyota Corolla.
Let us know more about the 86 M800. That was the best M800. M800 is almost a two wheeler, one of the best city drives, if you drive alone and in congested traffic. Please post pics of it. There are a lot us who love that car.
Old 21st August 2014, 20:33   #78
BHPian

Hi,

I think you got the repair done in Bangalore itself. I too have a 2005 baleno (now at 45k odo). A student on two wheeler took the bumper with him some time back and the quote I got is close to your quote. Can you please share with me the details of the tinkerer if you dont mind. I need the repair urgently.

cheers

girish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
I got most of it done by a local tinker for about 4k though the bonnet needs painting now.
On the other hand I got the entire front suspension and gearbox overhauled including changing struts and bearings and spent only 15K recently. The clutch and cam belt change last year set me back by about 12 K this includes synthetic oil change and all fluids which come to about 5K.

Most Viewed