Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2006, 14:19   #1
BHPian

Need a new car-budget 10lakhs....help

Hi guys,need help.My uncle is in the process of buying a new car but is very confused about the choice and so asked for me help when i told him about Tbhp.The criteria is:

1) Mileage of 14+ in the city
2) Budget of 10 lakhs (cant stretch it) .
3) Maintenance cost should not be high.

The car will be driven mostly in the city with a long trip maybe once a year.He is open to both petrol and diesel.NO small cars please.PLease pour in your thoughts.Any help will be appreciated.Thanks..
Old 22nd July 2006, 14:47   #2
BANNED

14+ kmpl is asking quite a lot...you'd have to either go for a diesel like Elantra CRDi, or get a petrol car and LPG/CNG it.
Old 22nd July 2006, 15:16   #3
BHPian

hi,,
dude crdi elantra would be the best bet,,, u get a waranty of 80, 000km from the company,, fuel econamy i bout 14km in the city(with 100% a/c),,
and it is a remarkable 20km per liter on the highway,,(on gt road with 100% ac),,, the fit and finish of the is too good,,

i hav edone odd 40, 000km on the odometer and spent peanuts on the service(bout Rs1300) every 5, 000 km,,

the pic up and handling is xcellent,,
regards,,
driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed
Hi guys,need help.My uncle is in the process of buying a new car but is very confused about the choice and so asked for me help when i told him about Tbhp.The criteria is:

The car will be driven mostly in the city with a long trip maybe once a year.He is open to both petrol and diesel.NO small cars please.PLease pour in your thoughts.Any help will be appreciated.Thanks..
Old 22nd July 2006, 15:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm,
he has quite limited options.
Like Boom said,
his options are either an elantra CRDi or the Fiesta TDCi.
Elantra would be base model wheras fiesta would be top of the line model with ABS and leather and alloys.
The fiesta gives a better average and is more fun to drive and has a more refined engine.
The Elantra however, has more snob value and better space and more power.
I personally found the fiesta's looks better but like the elantra's interiors
Cheers
Old 22nd July 2006, 16:19   #5
bhp
BHPian

go for the fiesta .......the elantra after the price cut doesnt have any warranty (not even 1 day) its like buying a expensive phone frm the grey market
Old 22nd July 2006, 19:42   #6
BHPian

@ALL : Thanks for ur inputs...if there are any more choices then pls do pour in with them.
Old 22nd July 2006, 21:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey how about accent crdi..or say even verna when it comes out..it will definately not be more than 10 lakhs.4 cylinder crdi engine 110bhp and diesel too.Fits all your bills.what say guys.
Old 22nd July 2006, 23:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Between Elantra and Fiesta Diesel, Fiesta will hold its value better.
In my view that is the best option considering the requirements of
princezahed.

Jathinrao,

14 + with Honda City ? Wow! that's a new one Seriously, do you know anyone who is getting 14+ in city driving with NHC ?
Old 22nd July 2006, 23:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

In the region of 10 lacs a car giving 14kmpl is tough to find except for diesel.

In diesel, look at

Fiat adventure diesel- excellent looks, outdated engine and interiors, gives 13kmpl, is reliable except for small niggles here or there.

hyundai elantra crdi is a good option- Looks and interiors are a drawback but hyundai raliability and crdi engine which gives 13-14 kmpl are its strengths

lancer cedia/Honda civic will give similar Fuel efficiency figures in the region of 10-11. I would recommend the Honda civic but cedia at 9.09 ex-showroom minus the leather is a better it in your budget.

Skoda Octavia Tdi is still one of the best diesel cars around. Gives more than 14kmpl reportedly and is reliable and sturdy. you will have to stretch your budget a bit but is worth every penny. maintainence if needed would burn your pocket . But then that's the only downside

I would go for

Skoda octavia
Hyundai elantra
lancer cedia (Honda civic if budget permits)

in that order

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Between Elantra and Fiesta Diesel, Fiesta will hold its value better.
In my view that is the best option considering the requirements of
princezahed.

Jathinrao,

14 + with Honda City ? Wow! that's a new one Seriously, do you know anyone who is getting 14+ in city driving with NHC ?
Yes I have heard people saying friends of their friends cousin gets 18-20 kmpl.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 22nd July 2006 at 23:53.
Old 24th July 2006, 09:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Oh, yeah - there are loads of NHC owners in my office who claim to get 14 kmpl with AC in delhi.

Cant doubt them though - since i get 12 kmpl with my VTEC.
Old 24th July 2006, 10:03   #11
BHPian

For a petrol car in this range, its really tough - the only car that comes close would be the NHC. However, the mileage comes at the cost of performance (Gxi/Exi), or at a very high initial cost (VTEC).

In diesel, you have the options of Elantra CRDi and the Fiesta TDCi. Both are quite refined, but the weak engine in the Fiesta lets it down badly once you have an open stretch (cant imagine much of those in blore though).

Hyundai would definitely be low and hassle free in maintenance compared to a ford or a Honda.

However, the NHC has the least number of initial defects per car. That means you get a more hassle free car in this case.
Old 24th July 2006, 10:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Oh, yeah - there are loads of NHC owners in my office who claim to get 14 kmpl with AC in delhi.

Cant doubt them though - since i get 12 kmpl with my VTEC.
My wife drives NHC and at least four of my friends have one as well. None of these five cars gives more than 12 in Bangalore. Must be the Bangalore traffic I guess.

BTW, I get around 11.5 with my OHC VTEC.
Old 24th July 2006, 11:35   #13
BHPian

hey dude go for and elantra CRDI , it gives you a full bundled option with a built in cd / cas player.air bags, loads of space, alloys . the looks is something people might or might not like . depends on personal taste. but or else its a good car to drive.
Old 24th July 2006, 12:16   #14
BHPian

try out elantra or accent crdi,accent crdi in any case gives better mileage than 14..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks