Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2006, 23:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys need a little help here with an Astra.

I saw an Opel Astra GL, 2000 model with multi point injection and it has done 53000km till now. The car has been maintained well, only a few minor dings on the exterior and the interior is clean and neat. It has Stanley leather set covers in beige with matching door pads. It's got a Blaupunkt cassette reciever with a Blaupunkt 12 CD changer. The tires have 30% of their life left in them.

The problem is i like the car very much but i don't know what's the correct price i should be paying for this car. The dealer is asking for 2.2 lacs but is willing to bring it down to 2.05. Is this a good price? Or is it a rip off at 2.05 since the car is out of production.

Cheers.
Old 22nd July 2006, 23:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

2.5!!!!! For an Astra!!!!! Whoa buddy...its a ripoff. Just forget it. And since its not in production anymore, stay away from it and cars like Corsa, Cielo, Nexia etc. thought they might be good. Spares will also be on the higher side.
Old 23rd July 2006, 00:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

2lacs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
2.5!!!!! For an Astra!!!!! Whoa buddy...its a ripoff. Just forget it. And since its not in production anymore, stay away from it and cars like Corsa, Cielo, Nexia etc. thought they might be good. Spares will also be on the higher side.
Buddy it's not 2.5lacs!! It is 2lacs and 5 thousand. Okay let's take it as 2 lacs.

The good things about the car are:

Well manitained
Stanley leather seat covers
Blaupunkt 12CD changer

Is 2lacs too much?

Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2006, 00:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the resale value of the Altra's is that much. I bet u can get them for a cheaper rate down here. Its a great car, but spares could be the problem.

Anyways, think twice before getting it.
Old 23rd July 2006, 02:58   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar

The good things about the car are:

Well manitained
Stanley leather seat covers
Blaupunkt 12CD changer

Is 2lacs too much?

Cheers.
the bad things are:
low availability of spares
discontinued model, hence low resale value
six year old car
pathetic fuel efficiency
pathetic first and secnd gear acceleration, maybe this doesn't matter to you though,just maybe.

astra surely appeals to the heart more than the head here, thanks to german styling and build quality, but don't you think the negatives outnumber the positives here. And the positives infact are too strong here, cd changers,leather seats and well maintained cars can be found with putting in a little effort.

If i were to look for an Opel i would look hard for the Club model, sunroof, leather interiors, alloys, and the works bro. And it would not cost you more than 15-20 k extra over a base model of similar vintage and condition.

Even if you intend on buying the car, anything more than 1.8 L would be expensive.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 23rd July 2006 at 03:00.
Old 23rd July 2006, 06:31   #6
BHPian

nothin more than 1.4 lakhs dude
Old 23rd July 2006, 11:08   #7
BHPian

Its Australian not German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
the bad things are:

astra surely appeals to the heart more than the head here, thanks to german styling and build quality,

manson.
Please note that the Astra launched in India is an australian car and not german. For proof please go to the National Consumer Disputes forum site where absolutely any original owner who complains to the forum about it not being german but australian will get a full refund with interest.

Same goes for the Subaru that GM released here in India as an off roader. If you have the Subaru you can claim a full refund with interest if you are the original owner.

Same goes for the Ambassodor Nova if it developed rust in the first year of ownership. Rust absolutely anywhere will do to get you a refund with interest for the original owner.

If I win the case against the TATA Indica then absolutely any original owner of the Indica V1 will get a full refund. Hope and pray I do win to save more gullible fools like me who bought the Indica.

All the above cases are because of a design defect and not because of manufacturing defect and the first one being a wrong claim in their advertisement that the Astra is a german car.

Bye and wear your seatbelts.
Old 23rd July 2006, 11:42   #8
BHPian

Australian...well my frnd has a astra too...most of the parts in it has "MADE IN GERMANY" embedded on it...and btw....
my frnd bought this 60k kms old 98 sample for 90k...not bad eh!!!
Old 23rd July 2006, 14:01   #9
BHPian

Dude you should seriously look at the club model of Astra.. you should get one in mint condition for about 1.8 lacs..it has much better features and functions than the normal Astras.
for the car you are looking it should be around 1.50-1.60 lacs..parts are available but too expensive..

Last edited by streetlife : 23rd July 2006 at 14:02.
Old 23rd July 2006, 14:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
low availability of spares
Haven't experienced a problem so far. Even with my car being serviced outside.

Quote:
pathetic fuel efficiency
pathetic first and secnd gear acceleration, maybe this doesn't matter to you though,just maybe.
My 9 year old Astra gives FE of about 15-16 on highway runs with 4 adults & some luggage. Surely I won't call it pathetic.
As for accelaration, yeah its on slower side but Astra was never ment to save time it was about going from one place to another with maximum possible comfort.

@Sankar: If its well maintained then bring it down till 1.9Lakhs. If not then ask owners to replace tyres for the price of 2.05Lakhs
Old 23rd July 2006, 15:19   #11
BHPian

Well...

Off topic...

The astra suffers from a expensive engine parts problem, one thing a plus to it is a very stable car and body spares available b'coz of teh time spent on indian roads...

My stereo type query...

Can an engine transplant solve the expensive parts problem...?

Ciao
~*Samy*~
Old 23rd July 2006, 19:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies, we decided not to got for that Astra at that price. Last thing we need is a white elephant and that too at 2 lacs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks