Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which compact sedan would you choose?
Tata Zest 366 64.78%
Maruti Dzire 74 13.10%
Honda Amaze 60 10.62%
Hyundai Xcent 65 11.50%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 09:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent

Voted for the zest, without having seen it directly. Looking at the review(s), it looks to be far more better than the other cars in the comparison. Each of the other cars might be ahead in one or the other departments, however, when you look at it on the whole, its the best. TATA has indeed come a long way in terms of quality. I like that, since a TATA was my first car.
Amaze is my second choice. I was almost choosing Amaze when I was looking for a new car to buy. The noisy engine and the vibrations were the dampeners.
Dzire third.
Old 14th August 2014, 09:11   #47
BHPian

Voted for the Dzire blind folded! Reason being:

1. A practical no-nonsense car with neutral road manners.
2. Overall build quality is good.
3. Be it 1.2 petrol or 1.3 diesel - both are proved engines on India roads with good mileage figures.
4. Excellent after sales service.
5. Good Resale value!

Second choice would tilt in favour of Xcent:

1. Pricing.
2. Overall package considering the gadgets and gizmos.
3. Feels up market. Absolutely no cost cutting.

Zest: Need to give it time to prove its reliability in the Indian road conditions. Then again Tata petrol engines are either a hit or a miss going by the earlier versions. Let us see how the Diesel AMT fares given its terrific pricin.
Old 14th August 2014, 09:46   #48
BHPian

Zest it is!

Well build, Good engines, composed ride and handling, AMT!, Killer looks, stellar pricing
Old 14th August 2014, 10:29   #49
BANNED

i have voted for Xcent. One of my friend owns the car so i have driven it myself. I love the performance and the comfort of the car. The features like key less start and go, reversing camera and cooled glove box.
About Zest, i am really not sure because didn't get the chance to drive it. But after reading the review i am quite amazed. Hoping that they come up good with the service since tata lacks with that. But no doubt Zest can be a very good competitor for all the sedans
Old 14th August 2014, 11:06   #50
BHPian

My vote goes to the Zest.

The main factors in favor of it are:
1. Availability of both ABS and Dual Airbags on the mid-variant.
2. Good Build Quality + Larger Cabin Space
3. Fog Lights & Height Adjustable Driver's seat available on the mid-variant. I do not understand why do manufacturers restrict such an important and useful features only on the top version!
4. Plus a host of other features available on base and mid versions.
4. And of-course the Diesel Automatic combo.

Looking at the Zest, it makes me realize how a brand like Honda gets away with by providing bare basic tin cans.

Last edited by trek : 14th August 2014 at 11:32.
Old 14th August 2014, 11:49   #51
BHPian

My vote to the Dzire - it's been in the market for a long time and has Maruti's A.S.S backbone going for it. Very much inclined towards Zest - with it's long list of features and many segment firsts; but being a new car (and knowing that usually the first few lines off the assembly might have niggles) would want to wait and watch. Xcent being the third followed by Amaze as a very distant fourth.
Old 14th August 2014, 12:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Zest is the best! Diesel + AMT combo at a resonable price. Like Manna from heaven. What more can one ask for? Tata cars have come a long way from the days of initial glitches. I think people should not be unreasonably harsh just judging things from the past. My second vote would go to Dzire.

Last edited by pgsagar : 14th August 2014 at 12:27.
Old 14th August 2014, 12:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Point to note: Xcent is last as per the poll here, but it's second best if we consider the actual comments by members in this thread.

What does that signify? Maybe, that we have fanboys of Amaze and DZire.
(No offence to anyone).
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 12:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Point to note: Xcent is last as per the poll here, but it's second best if we consider the actual comments by members in this thread.

What does that signify? Maybe, that we have fanboys of Amaze and DZire.
(No offence to anyone).
Deservedly so, for the diesel especially with that pedestrian engine under the hood and oddball looks. Dzire is wider and hence looks planted, Amaze is better proportioned. The petrol Xcent on the other hand is pretty competent, good engine and nice interiors.
Old 14th August 2014, 13:55   #55
BHPian

My vote goes to the Zest. The main reason being, as GTO mentioned - The availability of AT diesel in comparison with the competitors. Add to that the design and quality which is above the Amaze & Dzire. Of course it's no match to the quality in Hyundai, but the equipment levels which the Zest offers tilt's the scale in its favor. The Engineers and designers have done a commendable job with the Zest and as per the initial reviews and reports, the Zest looks like it will rejuvenate the TATA stable.

But the ASS still remains a big question mark with TATA and that may be a deterrent for potential customers. I really hope that they improve in this front and they will surely have a winner in their hands.
Old 14th August 2014, 14:35   #56
BHPian

Easy to see which way this poll is headed. But IMHO, it's a bit premature for a poll of this nature. Simply because the other choices (except maybe the xcent) already have a track record whereas the zest is yet to create one for itself. And that will become a very significant factor on whether the current excitement levels regarding the zest will sustain in the long run.

Secondly, the question in the poll can have at least two interpretations:
a. Which if these would you choose if you're thing by the heart
b. Which of these three would you choose if you're thinking by the head

Over the past few years, as an end user/buyer, I've come into contact with more of Tatas' products than expected - starting from voice, data, satellite TV to real estate/property. Though there have been hiccups, I can't but admit having developed a certain respect for the group and their understated methods of going about their business. Probably my recent preference for 'swadeshi' adds to this. The big question is whether their auto business and more importantly, dealerships will also start seeing the transformation.

Given this background and whatever I've learned about he zest so far, the answer to question (a) is clearly the zest. But since the head is more trustworthy than the heart, I choose to interpret the question as (b) and answer dzire.

It would be ideal if the below follow ups could be performed on this, say 15 - 20 months from now:
1. Run a poll titled 'Did you buy the zest' addressing it specifically to the group that answered zest in this poll. If I answer no because I did not buy any car, it's a different matter. But if I answer no because I actually bought some other brand, it might be helpful to elaborate.

2. Second, run this poll once again so that respondents have more info/background to base their choice
Old 14th August 2014, 16:27   #57
BHPian

Currently the only Automatic + Airbags is xcent, my vote for that car.
If Zest gets Airbags in its auto version, and then re-poll, my vote would be for zest.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post

Secondly, the question in the poll can have at least two interpretations:
a. Which if these would you choose if you're thing by the heart
b. Which of these three would you choose if you're thinking by the head
Heart? These are econoboxes and none of these cars will tug at heart strings. Heart would always say Ferrari / Lamborghini, right?
Old 14th August 2014, 17:45   #59
Team-BHP Support

Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent

On one side we have the Elite i20 thread where people are appealing against Hyundai for the omission of 6 airbags. Heck, even the Celerio was criticised for not having airbags in the AT version.

And on the other side, almost the same crowd is voting for a sedan without airbags!

Double standards?

For parents - I recently bought the Xcent Sx(o). But for myself, diesel car being a primary requirement, out of the given list- only Zest diesel AMT would have been considered for purchase, but will be ruled out due to lack of safety features. Amaze is a strict no, DZire would have lost out to swift from the same stable, and Xcent diesel is rather ordinary and not a drivers car. Hence no votes in this thread for now.

Similar money can get Punto 90hp / Polo/ GT TDi.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th August 2014 at 17:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 20:22   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Note: Sorry for the emotional flow. Read at your risk.

I have been a TATA group supporter since childhood. Its less due to the 'desi' and more due to the VFM offering in almost all businesses they have presence. Even I have appreciated and supported TaMo products too. The nearest we got was to buy a Manza (without any test-drive, that is the level of belief of Dad in Tata). But while buying a car, I have been skeptical to get a Tata car. I don't mind the niggles or minor costs but the time it consumes at the dealership and the headache. Had I employed a full-time driver who could take care of these hassles, I would have got the Manza.

Today I have voted for the Zest because it is too good a product and Tata has yet again proved its 'VFM'ness (it faltered with the brilliant Aria). The company strives hard to improve the service and I think the culprit is the laid-back and care-free nature of the dealers who refuse to budge. It might have a tough time getting them in line though TaMo will definitely improve the quality to reduce the dependency on the dealers. I somehow believe TaMo will keep my faith intact this time round.

I drive a Maruti which hasn't seen the service centre since the last 10 months and fulfills my needs. But every time I drive the super-flimsy car (it still has zero rattle for a 3 year old car ) I fear that even a crash by a bicycler might deform the car . It has zero safety features and yet is one of top selling cars in India. I sincerely hope there is a worthy upgrade available there somewhere in a TaMo dealership.

Last edited by ashis89 : 14th August 2014 at 20:23. Reason: Alignment correction
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed