Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact sedan would you choose?
Tata Zest 366 64.78%
Maruti Dzire 74 13.10%
Honda Amaze 60 10.62%
Hyundai Xcent 65 11.50%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 22:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent

Again that time of year where all Tata cars start at top of the chart and then the dust settles, hype settles and cars become market duds.

I saw the same hype with Nano, Aria & Storm. I remember reading BHP review of Aria stating never seen before interiors, quality unlike Tata, inputs from JLR and what not. It was quite reminiscent when reading the Zest review talking about quality.

The car is going to be a dud! You know why, caz when the dust settles its an Indica shell & changing the lights or giving a new odd looking grill and calling it a humanity line or line of mankind or best thing that ever happen to human beings is not going to cut it.

All I see in this car is a Indica with better interiors, projector lamps and AMT transmission. Rest is all the same Indica shell thats been around for ages. Many children were born during this period and can vote and we have still the same old car. Its become like a new age Ambassdor of sorts.

Regarding the polling, well its just a bunch of folks getting excited as there is something new. Once the excitement settles, you would see Zest failing to do well against the likes of Dezire & Amaze.

Last edited by aseem : 18th August 2014 at 22:56.
aseem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 10:33   #92
BHPian

Zest- for its freshness, space, interiors and pricing
Old 19th August 2014, 11:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
...... but will we ever undertake a last-minute long journey in a Tata car as we would in a Maruti/Hyundai/Honda?

In a Tata truck, maybe; but in a car, personally, I wouldn't!
FYI, the average joe Indica, which you seem so proud to make fun of, is infinitely more reliable than 50-60 lakh rupee German cars. Indica may lack the finesse of a German car but it does not break down on the way.
pgsagar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 13:49   #94
BHPian

Quote:
but will we ever undertake a last-minute long journey in a Tata car as we would in a Maruti/Hyundai/Honda?

In a Tata truck, maybe; but in a car, personally, I wouldn't!
Quote:
The Indica is still my favourite, as a Taxi.
So 2 exactly contradictory posts from the same person .
On the one hand he mentions : He wouldn't ever conduct a last minute trip in a TATA car
and in the next post the Vista is the favorite as a taxi . Probably, it must be only after a detailed PDI type checks he might be sitting inside a INDICA taxi for the travel.

Last edited by madhu33 : 19th August 2014 at 14:07.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:38   #95
Senior - BHPian

I like Xcent for its pricing, Amaze for its petrol engine, Dzire for the service network and Zest for all the technology they are showing off now.

Honda - Interiors suck big time !! Body sheet metal is very thin too. Engine is good
Maruti - What were they thinking when they pasted that boot !!
Hyundai - 1.1 ltr diesel is going to work only in city conditions !!

Hopefully Tata has sorted out QC niggles with this one and does good job with its service network. My vote goes for Zest !! Its a lesson for other car makers to not to make compromises
Old 19th August 2014, 14:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
So 2 exactly contradictory posts from the same person .
On the one hand he mentions : He wouldn't ever conduct a last minute trip in a TATA car
and in the next post the Vista is the favorite as a taxi . Probably, it must be only after a detailed PDI type checks he might be sitting inside a INDICA taxi for the travel.
Tangent is the direction we seem to be taking

No contradictions, I will travel in the Tata car as long as it not my own!

No taxi user does PDIs in Taxis, that is the Taxi owner's job.
I like to travel in comfort, if there is break-down, the head-ache is the Taxi owner's, not mine.
For my own car, that will be either a Maruti, Hyundai or Honda!

I believe in owning a car which gives the least headache, that's all!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 17:16   #97
BHPian

We are going OT here . Your original comments have already been answered and countered by many. Anyways you are entitled to your opinion.

Last edited by madhu33 : 19th August 2014 at 17:28.
Old 19th August 2014, 22:21   #98
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Shootout between the 4 compact sedans by Motorbeam.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/tata-z...cent-shootout/
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 00:17   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. Zest leads without a doubt.
2. Xcent comes in second.
This would be my preference too. If I am in market for a new car in this price band in next year, Zest XT and Xcent SX(O) are the only contenders I'd put my money on. Im disappointed with Amaze and Dzire is never in contention for me.

Since I am a former i10 owner and had a hassle free 27K clicks on it. XCent logically gets preference, the reason Zest is also in contention is for its VFM factor and features.

Jazz might join the party depending on what it brings to the table.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 01:27   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

The car is going to be a dud! You know why, caz when the dust settles its an Indica shell.

All I see in this car is a Indica with better interiors, projector lamps and AMT transmission.
And the TATA basing continues.

By the way, it's not the Indica, but the Vista platform. The platform is the same on which the Manza is based and is renowned for comfort and spaciousness.

You may call the Zest a Glossy Indica, but the fact is, it's not. Many are not able to digest the fact that Tata can product something of this sort.

As far as buying the DZire is concerned, I have stated earlier. It's like you Dzire, Me Dzire.

If you were to check the sales numbers starting Aug-Sep 2011 to say about 6-7 months, you will notice that Vista did an average of 9-10k per month and Manza around 7k. Yes, Swift and new DZire did curtail their sales as they are better products.

So let's see what the market decides in terms of sales for the Zest and the upcoming Bolt.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 02:45   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
And the TATA basing continues.

By the way, it's not the Indica, but the Vista platform. The platform is the same on which the Manza is based and is renowned for comfort and spaciousness.

You may call the Zest a Glossy Indica, but the fact is, it's not. Many are not able to digest the fact that Tata can product something of this sort.

As far as buying the DZire is concerned, I have stated earlier. It's like you Dzire, Me Dzire.

right, anyways the post you are referring to, also mentions teambhpians who have voted here on this thread as just a bunch of people who have got excited looking at something new. The person has even missed going through the official tbhp review of the zest and passed a verdict that there is no difference in an indica and a zest. now how ill informed one can be??
Old 20th August 2014, 13:38   #102
BHPian

Voted for Hyundai Xcent for the below reasons -

1. It is the most Feature-Rich among its competitors and the car gives a Premium feel to its interiors
2. Engine refinement is top notch although not for enthusiastic drivers.
3. Pricing is better placed compared to Honda and Maruti (although a bit higher than Tata)
4. The Excellent Hyundai Service which, I believe, is easily better than Honda and Tata if not Maruti.

Let me also give a brief on what I felt about the other cars.

Honda Amaze - A great car if you care about those quick maneuvers on the road and an engine that responds well as you hit that accelerator. I felt that the price was a little on the higher side for the features they offer.

Maruti Dzire
- Once again a great car with a very good Engine capabilities. I, for one, felt that it has been years in market and has not undergone any upgrades in terms of features. A reliable car, but not the best you can get for the price you pay.

Tata Zest - A great freshness in the air on this new Tata model. Looks are very unlike a Tata car. Also, it comes with the first in class - Diesel AT variant. I felt that the Engine is not very well tuned but it does its job. Interiors felt Plastic and the Doors open\close with a loud click. Pricing is very well placed though.
Old 20th August 2014, 14:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Zest. As a complete package, the well built interiors, with neat features, a strong engine, good dynamics, competent build quality and the bling factor all add up to this decision. Though, I would like to appreciate Honda for having ABS available across the range, something I really want my cars to always have!

Overall, Tata really got its act together very well this time around - a very compelling all rounder !
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:01   #104
BHPian

Zest it is for me and kudos to the product TATA has come up with. I drove the vehicle and was amazed to see the ride quality and refinement in the vehicle. The space is really good and equipment levels are nice. Voice command is obedient and quick and the ground clearance is good and does not spoil the overall charm of the vehicle. Seems like lots of Zests are expected to hit the road pretty soon. I wish to say this again and again when i see the Zest- Well done TATA.
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:00   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Probably one of the reason why I didnt vote for any other car mentioned above. These polls are more indicative about how upbeat people are about newly launched vehicle than what they actually be buying when it comes to the final decision.
Though I know size wise the Chevrolet Sail is not in the same category, price wise it is and its also got a decent diesel power train & ride characteristics, is more spacious too, any reason why people aren't discussing that, there are satisfied owners on T-BHP as well and though it is declared a market dud, the 4m size constraint only matters to manufacturers, for users as long as the car is priced competitively, it should qualify as a challenger.
From what I understand for someone who does not bother much about residual values or striking looks (anyways there is no Punto or Polo in consideration), this car holds well.
For lots of us owning a car is similar to religion, its blind following and not so much logic, me including (sorry if this line offends anyone, that's not my intent).
Some decisions are better left to the heart maybe.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks