Team-BHP - Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/154150-tata-zest-vs-maruti-dzire-vs-honda-amaze-vs-hyundai-xcent-9.html)

Depends on how do you look at "value for money" tag or what are your expectations from the car! Let me explain. I am looking at a compact sedan that can seat 5 adults comfortably - with this criteria, both Xcent and Amaze are out of contention right away. Among Dezire and Zest, Dezire is definitely more reliable with all the history, but its too boring and hence I prefer the Zest.

JD Power 2014 India Initial Quality Study for this segment- Hyundai Xcent tops the list, followed by Suzuki Swift DZire.

Honda Amaze was the winner last year soon after launch, but looks like it couldn't make it to the first three places- with Etios taking third place.

Pardon the screenshot quality - taken from mobile.

Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent-image.jpg

Source: JD Power

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3602598)
JD Power 2014 India Initial Quality Study for this segment- Hyundai Xcent tops the list, followed by Suzuki Swift DZire.

Honda Amaze was the winner last year soon after launch, but looks like it couldn't make it to the first three places- with Etios taking third place.

Pardon the screenshot quality - taken from mobile.

What those numbers indicate? Is lesser the better?

Is it avg number of problems faced? I am not able to understand.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroptimist (Post 3602616)
What those numbers indicate? Is lesser the better?

Is it avg number of problems faced? I am not able to understand.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Sorry for that.

It indicates the number of problems reported per 100 cars or PP100 as they call it. And yes- the idea is to have the lowest figures.

The grey bar shown indicates the average levels for the whole segment.

But does this poll really matter?

Dzire would be the least desirable and Zest will steal the show.

But traditionally, in sales perspective, Dzire would remain the king with all the other competition sales(combined):

Dzire Average- 17K
Xcent-6K
Amaze-4K
Zest-3.5K

Just shows the faith and goodwill Maruti enjoys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnabchak (Post 3603171)
But does this poll really matter?

Dzire would be the least desirable and Zest will steal the show.

But traditionally, in sales perspective, Dzire would remain the king with all the other competition sales(combined):

Dzire Average- 17K
Xcent-6K
Amaze-4K
Zest-3.5K

Just shows the faith and goodwill Maruti enjoys.

Doesn't look that way from the poll. Most desirable is the Zest and least desirable is the Amaze now. DZire has considerably more votes than the Amaze and Xcent.

DZire not only enjoys the Maruti goodwill, it is a very good allround package except for the looks department. If you go through the posts, there are many BHP'ians who voted for DZire for the reason that there is just nothing to go wrong with it.

Considering the brand goodwill- Hyundai and specially Honda are not so far behind Maruti, but their products are not so well-rounded. Xcent loses out with the Diesel engine and Amaze loses out in terms of the feel-good factor and value proposition.

TATA themselves have put the brand in the position they are in. It will take time, and few more excellent products like Zest to bring up the brand goodwill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3603706)

DZire not only enjoys the Maruti goodwill, it is a very good allround package except for the looks department. If you go through the posts, there are many BHP'ians who voted for DZire for the reason that there is just nothing to go wrong with it.

+1 to your views Crazy.
Infact, I happen to be one of those Bhpian who have voted for the Dzire looking beyond its quirky looks and selecting it on virtues of its qualities!

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnabchak (Post 3603171)

Dzire Average- 17K
Xcent-6K
Amaze-4K
Zest-3.5K

As per the Nov Sales data, isn't the Zest selling more than Amaze and trailing the Xcent by just 65 numbers?

Dear Paresh

I have just taken an approximation and not last month data.

Its too early to break out the bubbly for Zest.
Yes - its a great leap forward for Tata, but this leap just brings it at par with the others. It does not leapfrog them in any aspect.

Long term ownership still needs to be taken into account - and that is where no single Tata offering has ever been on par with the other 3.

Sales-wise also, its just been 3-4 months, and Zest is still struggling to cross 3-4k. When Amaze and Xcent were launched, they hit 6-7k for a few months straight.

This segment is far more mature now for Zest to make any real impact just on the basis of launch feedback/reviews alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra (Post 3603923)

Long term ownership still needs to be taken into account - and that is where no single Tata offering has ever been on par with the other 3.

I agree 100% with all your points except this one.

I will have to disagree with "no single Tata offering" part. My Vista completed 60,000 Kms and its in pristine condition. We had just gone on a 300 KM journey and it was behaving as good as it was on day one. I also know of quite a few Tata offering owners, who have had a blissful time. Yes the ASS is still improving and has improved a lot over last few years.

Problem is that Tata gets bashed left and right based on few unfortunate feedbacks and that creates a bias. I will again stress that the products are damn good, but their prices, marketing strategy and ASS to an extent does hamper the impression.

Anyways, enough OT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra (Post 3603923)
Its too early to break out the bubbly for Zest.
Yes - its a great leap forward for Tata, but this leap just brings it at par with the others. It does not leapfrog them in any aspect.

It does actually in a few aspects IMO.

1. Features list - With the touchscreen console by Harmann and the best quality audio for the segment and few segments above, DRLs, projector headlamps, LED tail lamps to name a few.

2. Diesel Automatic option - This was eagerly awaited by the segment.

3. Build quality and interiors- I have an Xcent SX(o) which is the best for the segment, but the TATA comes real close. Infact, considering the solid feel of the Zest- I would even prefer it over the Xcent for build.

Being a car and driving enthusiast, which is why my presence on this forum is probably justified, my priorities lie predominantly in the pleasure involved in the act of driving. Its felt between the various "fundamental" aspects of driving, what the hand feels on the steering while taking a few curves and corners, the correlation of the pressure on the right foot and the increase of momentum and the resultant excitement felt on the spine. Then the aural senses of an engine that feels quite eager to reach the upper reaches of the rev band.

On this note, having driven the petrol versions of all the 4 and the diesels of the Dzire and Amaze, my choice is the Amaze Petrol, no two minds about it. Followed closely by the Dzire (infact it helps that Maruti workshop is so close to each of the touchpoints of our family). I am sorry but the other two does not score anything on why I like to drive in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3603988)
It does actually in a few aspects IMO.

1. Features list - With the touchscreen console by Harmann and the best quality audio for the segment and few segments above, DRLs, projector headlamps, LED tail lamps to name a few.

2. Diesel Automatic option - This was eagerly awaited by the segment.

3. Build quality and interiors- I have an Xcent SX(o) which is the best for the segment, but the TATA comes real close. Infact, considering the solid feel of the Zest- I would even prefer it over the Xcent for build.

Completely agree on the diesel AT. But, just curious, I don't know if the segment was really waiting for it. Why haven't the other 3 bothered to launch one despite having a petrol AT option.

Regarding build quality, only a few years of ownership will tell how it holds together.

I am not trying to pull down the car, but Tata seriously needs to prove itself considering it's past history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra (Post 3604227)
Completely agree on the diesel AT. But, just curious, I don't know if the segment was really waiting for it. Why haven't the other 3 bothered to launch one despite having a petrol AT option.

Well- the reasons that come to my mind are -

1. Price- Diesel engines are still expensive and costs almost a lakh over the equivalent petrol versions. Conventional TC automatic boxes are expensive as well, with another lakh over the manual versions. Mating the two options together would have resulted in the price reaching the levels of C segment manuals.

TATA could overcome this issue (partially) with the AMT. I say partially because price seems to be the only reason they avoided launching the AMT box for the XT trim.

2. Torque- Torque is the major limitation for most TC boxes. I think (and I'm not fully sure on this one) that the slush boxes used in the smaller petrol versions won't be able to handle the torque of a diesel motor multiplied by the TC. No such issue with the AMT

3. Availability and demand- Maruti never was a master of automatic cars till the AMT came along. Hyundai traditionally had automatics, but lacked small diesel motors. Same with Honda as well.

If the owners manual of my Xcent is anything to go by - there should be a diesel AT variant in the pipeline.