View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2015, 11:41   #136
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

http://www.cartrade.com/buy-used-car...si/877377.html

Link to Polo GT TSI in Pune
MADMAX111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 11:43   #137
BHPian

Sellers details

Abhijeet Sujeet Sen
Pune.
Mobile: 7875775880
MADMAX111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 11:45   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
About the manual TDI, the dealer I am talking to has run out of TDIs, however a quick check online revealed a price difference of 2 lacs between the TDI and the TSI, do you think its worth the money considering:

1) Germans make better diesel cars
2) Its a much more powerful engine, with a lot of punch in it
3) It would still be comfortline so nothing new there.
4) My annual running would be 7k-10k max, so I am not sure I will ever be able to break-even wrt to the price difference.

I could not find any comparison between the TDI and TSI on the forum, so any inputs will be most welcome.

Agreed, only I may lose the opportunity to buy the TSI. But anyway there are a number of other high-priority items coming up in the next couple of weeks on the personal front, so this process may stretch to the launch of the new Jetta afterall. Lets see!
Trust me, the VW TSI outperforms the Honda's iVTEC or Toyota's VVT - The general thumb rule for Turbo charged engine is it provides 30% more power/performance over a similar sized Naturally Aspirated engine! So the 1.4 TSI is as good as a 1.8 NA engine.

Significant to note - when I wanted to change my Octavia vRS, I did consider the 1.4 TSI before settling on the 2.0 TDI because of my 15K KM's annual running. The 1.4 TSI has a lighter clutch & usable turbo spread to drive in city compared to the TDI.

The 1.4 TSI is good & reliable engine and is offered in many international markets and also on the Octavia available locally! I think it also won the International small engine of the year award 2013! VW recently announced replacing their local Vento cup cars from 1.6 TDI to 1.4 TSI's

For your running, no need of diesel - Not just the upfront capex, but also consider other things like lower insurance, lower perquisite tax if you go for company lease!

Bargain for the best deals on the 2014 car - nothing significant is going to change in the 2015 version but for getting more expensive!
AirWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 20:39   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Funnily, there is a last white one available at the dealer I am talking to. He is offering a 50K discount on the 2014 prices. I will obviously negotiate more after I take the test drive. I am still a bit concerned about the 1.4 engine it comes with, which is really small for such a big car to say the least.
50K strikes me as a little less considering it's a petrol and it's a 2014 car. Push for some more discounts if you're serious about it, I'm sure it's there for the taking.

I wouldn't be worried about the 1.4 TSI in terms of performance or economy. Of course, if you're concerned about the outright performance vis-a-vis the 1.8 TSI, it will fall short, but there's plenty of grunt in it and great for your needs. A few guys have picked up 1.4's on the forum, check out their reviews.

Quote:
Any inputs on what to beware of would be welcome.
In a nutshell, this is what to keep in mind

1) Try to buy from an individual. Dealers will obviously be more expensive.
2) Look for cars with a well-documented service history. You can even contact the authorized service center to find out its history or take it in for a checkup, the latter for a price, of course.
3) Above all, be patient. It takes time to buy a quality used car.

Here's a detailed guide to read through.

Quote:
About the manual TDI; a quick check online revealed a price difference of 2 lacs between the TDI and the TSI, do you think its worth the money?
The main concern with German petrols in the Indian context has been it's reliability issues, mostly due to VAG's DSG issues and some fuel issues too. Yes, Germans make great diesels, but for your minimal needs the petrol is great. Like you said, it will take a long time to recover the premium with your running, and so long as you have even the 1.8 TSI with a manual gearbox (a la the Superb, for instance), you'll be golden. That said, the TDI's are overwhelmingly popular here for good reason. They're frugal, powerful workhorses suited to a variety of uses. The TSI beats it on outright performance, but I sense that's no matter to you.

For the record, I had booked a 1.8 TSI Octavia and cancelled it only because of the lack of its availability. If i had to choose between that and the Jetta TDI with both having been available, there's no doubt I'd go for the former. It's not as clear-cut between the 1.4 TSI and the 2.0 TDI though. Depends on the deal you're getting for the former!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 21:53   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for checking this up, do you have a link for this?

About the Polo GT TSI, thats exactly what we have in mind, we just have to look for a good deal, any inputs on what to beware of would be welcome. I have never bought used cars, except in the UK, where I used an online service to check if the car was in an accident etc. .

Agreed, only I may lose the opportunity to buy the TSI. But anyway there are a number of other high-priority items coming up in the next couple of weeks on the personal front, so this process may stretch to the launch of the new Jetta afterall. Lets see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
This ad looks a little fishy to me. The polo gt tsi was launched in April-May 2013. The ad indicates it as a Jan 2012 model. If that is true , no way this can be a gt tsi.

On the car itself, May be worthwhile to wait for the facelift to see if they launch a1.4 tsi dsg. That would balance your needs well.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 17:14   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Thanks for the link MADMAX111, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Trust me, the VW TSI outperforms the Honda's iVTEC or Toyota's VVT - The general thumb rule for Turbo charged engine is it provides 30% more power/performance over a similar sized Naturally Aspirated engine! So the 1.4 TSI is as good as a 1.8 NA engine.
Thanks for the inputs about the TSI engine, very reassuring indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
50K strikes me as a little less considering it's a petrol and it's a 2014 car. Push for some more discounts if you're serious about it, I'm sure it's there for the taking.
So I have an update on the test drive, I took a 1.4 TSI test drive this monday, wherein I took the car for a long spin covering the city as well as the highway. My takeway from the drive was

- The TSI definitely has a certain lag when starting off
- It seems adequately powered on the highway, but definitely less responsive as compared to the Diesel
- The engine is a lot more silent than the Diesel
- Its quite drivable in the city, because of the smooth gearbox

All in all this looks like the perfect fit for us right now. Now on the deal, when I spoke to the VW SA in November last year I was quoted around 17.14l for this car. Now with the excise increase the SA is quoting 17.8l. Based on your suggestion iliketurtles 50k is a peanuts discount for this car. So I am probably looking for an overall discount of at least 2 lacs or so, as I read in a previous post that a BHPian got a 1.9l discount on a previous year Jetta trendline. Am I being too hopeful or is this the right number to shoot for?

Obviously I am not looking for all of this to be a cash discount, I can possibly negotiate with the SA to get some freebees like the blaupunkt philadelphia unit, zero dep insurance, extended warranty etc. Am I thinking in the right direction?

BTW, I already requested the VIN from the SA, and decoding it told me the car was manufactured in August 2014, isnt that way too old? The SA was justifying this by saying that these are CBU models, so take 3-4 months to actually arrive after manufacture, I am not entirely sure, inputs forum?

Quote:
I wouldn't be worried about the 1.4 TSI in terms of performance or economy. Of course, if you're concerned about the outright performance vis-a-vis the 1.8 TSI, it will fall short, but there's plenty of grunt in it and great for your needs. A few guys have picked up 1.4's on the forum, check out their reviews.

In a nutshell, this is what to keep in mind

1) Try to buy from an individual. Dealers will obviously be more expensive.
2) Look for cars with a well-documented service history. You can even contact the authorized service center to find out its history or take it in for a checkup, the latter for a price, of course.
3) Above all, be patient. It takes time to buy a quality used car.

Here's a detailed guide to read through.

The main concern with German petrols in the Indian context has been it's reliability issues, mostly due to VAG's DSG issues and some fuel issues too. Yes, Germans make great diesels, but for your minimal needs the petrol is great. Like you said, it will take a long time to recover the premium with your running, and so long as you have even the 1.8 TSI with a manual gearbox (a la the Superb, for instance), you'll be golden. That said, the TDI's are overwhelmingly popular here for good reason. They're frugal, powerful workhorses suited to a variety of uses. The TSI beats it on outright performance, but I sense that's no matter to you.
Thanks for the inputs pal, we have firmly decided on the petrol now, as the diesel manual we drove though being a lot more responsive, had quite a heavy clutch, which is not a hit with my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This ad looks a little fishy to me. The polo gt tsi was launched in April-May 2013. The ad indicates it as a Jan 2012 model. If that is true , no way this can be a gt tsi.

On the car itself, May be worthwhile to wait for the facelift to see if they launch a1.4 tsi dsg. That would balance your needs well.
Thanks Rajeevraj, I spoke to the SA on Monday and he indicated there were no such plans. Now of course, he may just have been trying to sell his old stock, so I will probably book only when the other engine options for the 2015 Jetta are revealed.
Old 5th February 2015, 19:41   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I spoke to the VW SA in November last year I was quoted around 17.14l for this car. Now with the excise increase the SA is quoting 17.8l. Based on your suggestion iliketurtles 50k is a peanuts discount for this car. So I am probably looking for an overall discount of at least 2 lacs or so, as I read in a previous post that a BHPian got a 1.9l discount on a previous year Jetta trendline. Am I being too hopeful or is this the right number to shoot for?
2L does seem outrageous, but ask for it. It's better to peg your expectations high and then come down lower, because the sales rep will do the opposite of that. Being a petrol, it will have fewer takers. Tell the rep it will soon be a facelift old and it's already a year old. I got a total of 70k (approx) off on a diesel highline, so 2L is a lot to get on the petrol but I think 1.25L to 1.5L is possible.

I don't think you'll get a head unit upgrade as part of it, but zero dep, corporate discount and cash discount combined should you a pretty sweet deal. Doubt they'll throw in the extended warranty, but shoot for it. Good luck!

Quote:
BTW, I already requested the VIN from the SA, and decoding it told me the car was manufactured in August 2014, isnt that way too old? The SA was justifying this by saying that these are CBU models, so take 3-4 months to actually arrive after manufacture, I am not entirely sure, inputs forum?
It is of course possible, but I'd take his word with a pinch of salt. Use this as a bargaining chip. Doesn't matter if it's August or December, it's still a 2014 car. Bargain hard, it's yours for the taking as I'm not sure a lot of guys will be angling for it.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 19:55   #143
BHPian

Quote:
2L does seem outrageous, but ask for it. It's better to peg your expectations high and then come down lower, because the sales rep will do the opposite of that. Being a petrol, it will have fewer takers. Tell the rep it will soon be a facelift old and it's already a year old. I got a total of 70k (approx) off on a diesel highline, so 2L is a lot to get on the petrol but I think 1.25L to 1.5L is possible.
Thanks for the inputs iliketurtles, I am definitely going to try for it.

Quote:
I don't think you'll get a head unit upgrade as part of it, but zero dep, corporate discount and cash discount combined should you a pretty sweet deal. Doubt they'll throw in the extended warranty, but shoot for it. Good luck!
Yes, I was planning for a 2l discount including all these elements, not just the cash discount, that would be too good to be true .

BTW iliketurtle and other members, would you recommend an upgrade to the blaupunkt philadelphia unit? In november he quoted an extra 48k for it, and it comes with a touchscreen, 2 rear speakers, and a rear parking camera IIRC. Is it worth upgrading to these for this cost?

Also the stock goodyear NCT tires, would you absolutely recommend an upgrade to either Pirelli P7 or Michelin P3STs? As you can see my running is not that much, maybe 3 or 4 long trips an year. The SA told me the goodyears are noisier because they are a lot harder, and also they last for much longer than the michelins or the pirellis, which are a lot softer, hence the ride and noise is a lot better contained. Suggestions please.

Thanks for all your help so far forum, really appreciate it!
Old 5th February 2015, 21:51   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW iliketurtle and other members, would you recommend an upgrade to the blaupunkt philadelphia unit? In november he quoted an extra 48k for it, and it comes with a touchscreen, 2 rear speakers, and a rear parking camera IIRC. Is it worth upgrading to these for this cost?
I'm not sure I'd recommend it to be honest. 48k is a lot to splash out on a head unit!

Quote:
Also the stock goodyear NCT tires, would you absolutely recommend an upgrade to either Pirelli P7 or Michelin P3STs? As you can see my running is not that much, maybe 3 or 4 long trips an year. The SA told me the goodyears are noisier because they are a lot harder, and also they last for much longer than the michelins or the pirellis, which are a lot softer, hence the ride and noise is a lot better contained. Suggestions please.

Thanks for all your help so far forum, really appreciate it!
Now this I'd recommend an upgrade to!

The Goodyears will get noisy after about 10-15k kms, and if you can live with that, well and good. I'd say swap them for Yokohamas or Michelins. Don't go for the Pirellis, they're too soft for our roads. I lost 2 Pirelli P7's to potholes.
Old 6th February 2015, 11:24   #145
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd recommend it to be honest. 48k is a lot to splash out on a head unit!
Point taken. I dont really care so much about the touch screen and the reverse camera, the parking sensors are good enough for me. Being a music enthusiast though, I would ideally love 8 speakers in the car, 4 in the front and 4 in the back. Is this a possible upgrade in the Jetta CL? And how much does this cost if done from an independent shop, and does it void the warranty by any chance? Any pointers to good places to get this in Pune would be appreciated!

Quote:
Now this I'd recommend an upgrade to!

The Goodyears will get noisy after about 10-15k kms, and if you can live with that, well and good. I'd say swap them for Yokohamas or Michelins. Don't go for the Pirellis, they're too soft for our roads. I lost 2 Pirelli P7's to potholes.
Thanks iliketurtles, I will start talking to local dealers on an exchange deal!

On a separate note, is there anything I can do to prepare for the beige interiors? As I understand there is no option from VW to go for anything other than beige for the white Jetta, right? Can this be done from an independent car shop as well, any recommendations? Would this affect the operation of the side airbags which are in the seats? Any other tips to help keep the beige clean in case nothing else can be done?

Also any recommendations for mats and where to get them from, I would ideally like to have them handy when I take the delivery of the car.

Thanks forum!
Old 6th February 2015, 12:00   #146
BHPian

SO nice to hear of another Jetta TSi on the forums.

For the mats, I would suggest that you either go for the 3D Kagu mats, available from ebay, or go for the 3M nomad ones, which will be made for your car.

The 3 D mats are really very nice. Dont go for the cheaper alternatives as they are not as good, nor will they last as long as the original product.

On the tyres, go for it, better to change now then to wait and change later. I got a good deal on Pirelli P7 in Bangalore, paid around 2300 per tyre for four. I find the tyres great, though they are a bit softer, but results in a better and softer run as well. I also find them to be great for coasting in neutral, which I do from time to time.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:45   #147
BHPian

Quote:
All in all this looks like the perfect fit for us right now.
===============

I thought I will make the following observations with regard to pricing and manufacturing date which may be useful in your negotiations:

1. You mention 2 lakh discount. Is this off the price of 17.14 lakh (pre Jan) or 17.8 lakh price (post Jan)? Please note that if the car is August manufacture, excise is already billed at the lower rate. So, if the dealer is offering you a 2 lakh discount on 17.8 lakh, then it is in reality only a discount of 1.34 lakh, as he in only liable for lower excise.

2. Insurance bought from a dealer (especially in higher value cars) is min 20,000 more expensive than bought directly from the company or from an insurance broker. My last 2 experiences: bought Highline Diesel in Nov 2013, dealer quoted insurance at ~75,000, I did directly at 48,000. Bought Duster in Oct 2013, dealer quoted insurance was ~45,000, I did it directly at ~26,000. Both were zero dep, with some additional covers, which the dealer was not offering as default. Please bear in mind that this is another form of margin for the dealer. My suggestion would be self insurance; negotiate the discount ex-insurance.

3. August 2014 model - this is total rubbish on multiple counts. Jetta is CKD, not CBU, there is a difference between the two. Assembly is done in India. My Jetta was delivered in Nov 2013, with manufacturing date Nov 2013 and model year 2014 (it was one of the first of a new series that they launched in that month). So to say that it takes 3 months is totally misleading.

4. Please ensure that you are not being packed off with a test car or something. Ensure that you do a proper inspection of the vehicle before purchase, since 6 months is a long time for it to be in a yard. Sometimes, you may find that some wires have been chewed by rats or some other minor exterior damage. In such cases, you can bargain for larger discounts on account of this, and get it fixed at a lower cost on your own account.

All the best.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 12:53   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point taken. I dont really care so much about the touch screen and the reverse camera, the parking sensors are good enough for me. Being a music enthusiast though, I would ideally love 8 speakers in the car, 4 in the front and 4 in the back. Is this a possible upgrade in the Jetta CL? And how much does this cost if done from an independent shop, and does it void the warranty by any chance? Any pointers to good places to get this in Pune would be appreciated!
Yes, the parking sensors are more than good enough, with the readout very accurate. I don't miss the camera display, although it would be nice to have. Not 48k nice though!

As long as the wires are not cut, the warranty is not voided, but I recommend talking to the dealer about the ICE upgrade. I remember reading on these forums how someone else with this same issue was having difficulty upgrading the speakers. Check what the dealer has to say on this.

Quote:
On a separate note, is there anything I can do to prepare for the beige interiors? As I understand there is no option from VW to go for anything other than beige for the white Jetta, right? Can this be done from an independent car shop as well, any recommendations? Would this affect the operation of the side airbags which are in the seats? Any other tips to help keep the beige clean in case nothing else can be done?

Also any recommendations for mats and where to get them from, I would ideally like to have them handy when I take the delivery of the car.

Thanks forum!
You can have your interiors in any colour so long as it's beige

You wouldn't be able to do up the seats as it would impede the operation of the airbags, so you're stuck with it for better or worse. Luckily, Leatherette is easy to maintain, I have done nothing other than giving it for 1 interior cleaning to a professional and the seats still look as new (so far!)

As for mats, I bought Star 3D mats. They don't fit as well as Kagu or nomad, but are much more inexpensive and very good for the price (about Rs. 2300) and I'd recommend them if you find Rs. 6000-7000 obscene for a set of mats. You can find them here.

My set of mats are about a year old now and they've aged reasonably well, I'm happy with it as are others on the forum.
Old 6th February 2015, 20:52   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
SO nice to hear of another Jetta TSi on the forums.

For the mats, I would suggest that you either go for the 3D Kagu mats, available from ebay, or go for the 3M nomad ones, which will be made for your car.

On the tyres, go for it, better to change now then to wait and change later. I got a good deal on Pirelli P7 in Bangalore, paid around 2300 per tyre for four. I find the tyres great, though they are a bit softer, but results in a better and softer run as well. I also find them to be great for coasting in neutral, which I do from time to time.
Thanks Mav2000, I have been waiting to hear from you for a long time . How has your experience been with the TSI, do you ever regret not going for the more powerful diesels, and also for the highline variant?

I am definitely going to go for the tire change, right after I take the delivery of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
1. You mention 2 lakh discount. Is this off the price of 17.14 lakh (pre Jan) or 17.8 lakh price (post Jan)? Please note that if the car is August manufacture, excise is already billed at the lower rate. So, if the dealer is offering you a 2 lakh discount on 17.8 lakh, then it is in reality only a discount of 1.34 lakh, as he in only liable for lower excise.
Well thanks so much for shedding light on this, I was so confused about this. So the VW SA is pulling a fast one on me. I will take this up with him when I meet him next, and make sure that we consider 17.14 the base price for all negotiations.

Quote:
2. Insurance bought from a dealer (especially in higher value cars) is min 20,000 more expensive than bought directly from the company or from an insurance broker. My last 2 experiences: bought Highline Diesel in Nov 2013, dealer quoted insurance at ~75,000, I did directly at 48,000. Bought Duster in Oct 2013, dealer quoted insurance was ~45,000, I did it directly at ~26,000. Both were zero dep, with some additional covers, which the dealer was not offering as default. Please bear in mind that this is another form of margin for the dealer. My suggestion would be self insurance; negotiate the discount ex-insurance.
Thanks again, I was aware of this, but will now be more prepared, will actually buy the car ex-insurance and arrange my own insurance right after.

Quote:
3. August 2014 model - this is total rubbish on multiple counts. Jetta is CKD, not CBU, there is a difference between the two. Assembly is done in India. My Jetta was delivered in Nov 2013, with manufacturing date Nov 2013 and model year 2014 (it was one of the first of a new series that they launched in that month). So to say that it takes 3 months is totally misleading.
Ah another lie, I am really starting to considering not buying from this dealership, although they are the good ones in Pune going by reviews. Also they are the only ones having any TSIs left

Quote:
4. Please ensure that you are not being packed off with a test car or something. Ensure that you do a proper inspection of the vehicle before purchase, since 6 months is a long time for it to be in a yard. Sometimes, you may find that some wires have been chewed by rats or some other minor exterior damage. In such cases, you can bargain for larger discounts on account of this, and get it fixed at a lower cost on your own account.
Yes, I will check the mileage, but obviously that can be clocked with the right tools I guess. Any other tips to make sure they dont hand over a test car to me? Also when I mentioned that I will be doing a PDI checklist before taking delivery the SA seemed quite surprised and discouraging, maybe I should confirm the test car thing with him directly.

Any tips on how to make sure things like rat damage has not happened to the car? I will certainly check for exterior damage.

Quote:
Yes, the parking sensors are more than good enough, with the readout very accurate. I don't miss the camera display, although it would be nice to have. Not 48k nice though!
Yeah totally agree.

Quote:
As long as the wires are not cut, the warranty is not voided, but I recommend talking to the dealer about the ICE upgrade. I remember reading on these forums how someone else with this same issue was having difficulty upgrading the speakers. Check what the dealer has to say on this.
Thanks for the inputs mate, will talk to the dealer. Other forum members please chip in if you have any inputs on this.

Quote:
You can have your interiors in any colour so long as it's beige
Quote:
You wouldn't be able to do up the seats as it would impede the operation of the airbags, so you're stuck with it for better or worse. Luckily, Leatherette is easy to maintain, I have done nothing other than giving it for 1 interior cleaning to a professional and the seats still look as new (so far!)
Thought so mate, guess there is no other option. I got a 4 year old who would have a jolly good time spoiling those biege interiors.

Quote:
As for mats, I bought Star 3D mats. They don't fit as well as Kagu or nomad, but are much more inexpensive and very good for the price (about Rs. 2300) and I'd recommend them if you find Rs. 6000-7000 obscene for a set of mats. You can find them here.
Thanks for the link pal, will pre-order them in advance.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th February 2015 at 08:59.
Old 7th February 2015, 00:02   #150
BHPian

Well, the star mats are not that great. They feel like a slightly ticker piece of thermocol rather than the hefty finish of 3D kagu. Yes, 3D kagu cost more than double the price of star, but I would still go for them.

On the TSi, I don't drive much and 90% of my driving is in city, so petrol is fine for me. The car is very easy to drive in the city and is powerful enough on highways as well. Don't be fooled by the 1.4 TSi nomenclature. Its quite fast when you need it to be. And can be a totally calm animal in the city.

As per my understanding, very few TSi kits are brought into India. I also bought an August car, but that was delivered the same month. So my guess is that there were only white kits imported and the last set was imported in august.

If the car you are getting is white, then my inferences are correct. That being the case, there should not be any issue with the car being used or anything.

Most Viewed