View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 11:32   #196
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
harryputtar,
Looking to the future, I thought you might be interested to have a detailed look at the New Superb (not yet launched in India). I would suggest paying special attention to the 2.0TSI model with 280PS (same engine as the Seat Leon Cupra), just 20PS down from the Golf R.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/overview

I honestly believe it to be the best sedan on the planet in terms of cabin space, equipment, boot space, drivetrain & price.
Thanks for inputs bharatsomany, I was actually blown away by the outgoing superb, so I am sure the new one would take it to new heights. However the Superb as it stands now was just a bit beyond our reach, also we realised there has to be something to upgrade to 10 years down the line .

Anyway, our Pure White 2015 Jetta DSG came home on the 21st of March, I am guilty of not managing to put pics on the forum yet, hopefully that will happen within the next couple of weekends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
so this was how the a3 vs vw jetta vs octavia debate was settled for me. with a race blue 1.8 tsi octavia in elegance trim.
Congrats on your new buy phreakv6, Octavia looks awesome in that color. I was quite keen on the Octavia TSI too, but could never manage a test drive. Also once I sat in a Jetta and Octavia back to back, and could not shake off the feeling that the Jetta was a much more solidly built car. Safety being the primary reason for my upgrade I stuck to my decision and went with the Jetta (not to mention the mind-blowing Paddle Shifters!).

Octavia though seems to have a much more bigger and usable boot, but you know no gain without pain!
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 13:56   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Congrats on your new buy phreakv6, Octavia looks awesome in that color. I was quite keen on the Octavia TSI too, but could never manage a test drive. Also once I sat in a Jetta and Octavia back to back, and could not shake off the feeling that the Jetta was a much more solidly built car. Safety being the primary reason for my upgrade I stuck to my decision and went with the Jetta (not to mention the mind-blowing Paddle Shifters!).

Octavia though seems to have a much more bigger and usable boot, but you know no gain without pain!
Congrats to you too! You can't go too wrong with either choice. I do sorely miss the paddle shifters on the Octi and plan to upgrade the wheel to a flat-bottomed vRS one with shifters when I find a way to. As far as safety goes, there is not much separating the two, heft and difference in thud sounds not-withstanding. To me what swung the decision was solely the silky, zesty 1.8 TSI and the sunroof (its just one of those things that add the zing and premium feel to the cabin).
phreakv6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:03   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Congrats to you too! You can't go too wrong with either choice. I do sorely miss the paddle shifters on the Octi and plan to upgrade the wheel to a flat-bottomed vRS one with shifters when I find a way to. As far as safety goes, there is not much separating the two, heft and difference in thud sounds not-withstanding. To me what swung the decision was solely the silky, zesty 1.8 TSI and the sunroof (its just one of those things that add the zing and premium feel to the cabin).
Totally understand where you are coming from pal. I just have this habit of being very conservative with my choices (except investing in equity ), like insuring with LIC, travelling with Jet airways etc etc. So in the same vein Jetta seemed like the right choice and I have found lots of reasons to be happy till now including driving at 80 when it feels like 40 (happened to me yesterday). The sunroof (or rooftop as my dear friend iliketurtles likes to call it) may swing many in favour of the Octavia as has been proven in the past.

To the Jetta folks, anyone knows how to remove the isofix tabs on the rear seat to install an isofix child car seat in the Jetta. And for that matter how to install an isofix child car seat itself to the Jetta? Me and wifey have been trying to crack this for 2 days now. We ended up breaking one of the tabs, which I know now might just be a marker to indicate where the isofix connection points are and not an entry for the same, annoying! Any inputs will be welcome.

Last edited by harryputtar : 3rd April 2015 at 20:05. Reason: Forgot to mention "child car seat"
Old 4th April 2015, 17:02   #199
BHPian

I'm in the market for a new car...

Something that I can drive around daily, but still have fun with when I put the pedal to the metal.

The Jetta, with its beige interior and 1.4L Petrol engine, isn't for me.
When I look at the Octavia, it looks like a car that needs to be put into a wind tunnel and be streamlined some more. It's a good looking design, but the contours just seem out of whack to me. Then there's the fact that the AT box doesn't come with paddles, and that the head unit is as basic as they come, with a resistive screen and no mirrorlink. The longevity of that DQ200 gearbox, with its 250NM rating, is also suspect, especially because it's peaking at very low RPM in the Octavia 1.8. And the horrors of Skoda service are very well known to everyone.

And then there's the A3. The car that looks like a Honda City, but costs as much as three of them. :l
It has that same DQ200 as the Octavia, but Audi says they "reinforced" it, and I'll take their word on it. The only real issues I have with this car are that it costs about twice as much as a Jetta or an Octavia, and that it's tiny in comparison.

Because of all these concerns, lately I've been thinking more and more about looking at preowned 320d's that can be had for anywhere between 20-35 lakhs.
What do you guys think? I'm confused.
Old 4th April 2015, 19:37   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyk View Post
I'm in the market for a new car...

Something that I can drive around daily, but still have fun with when I put the pedal to the metal.

The Jetta, with its beige interior and 1.4L Petrol engine, isn't for me.
When I look at the Octavia, it looks like a car that needs to be put into a wind tunnel and be streamlined some more. It's a good looking design, but the contours just seem out of whack to me. Then there's the fact that the AT box doesn't come with paddles, and that the head unit is as basic as they come, with a resistive screen and no mirrorlink. The longevity of that DQ200 gearbox, with its 250NM rating, is also suspect, especially because it's peaking at very low RPM in the Octavia 1.8. And the horrors of Skoda service are very well known to everyone.

And then there's the A3. The car that looks like a Honda City, but costs as much as three of them. :l
It has that same DQ200 as the Octavia, but Audi says they "reinforced" it, and I'll take their word on it. The only real issues I have with this car are that it costs about twice as much as a Jetta or an Octavia, and that it's tiny in comparison.

Because of all these concerns, lately I've been thinking more and more about looking at preowned 320d's that can be had for anywhere between 20-35 lakhs.
What do you guys think? I'm confused.
The A3 is supposed to be a superb drivers car! Great engine to boot to! If only it was priced more reasonably! If you're fine with the pricing, would be perfect for you.

As for the Jetta - why not the 2.0TDi?
Old 4th April 2015, 21:34   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The A3 is supposed to be a superb drivers car! Great engine to boot to! If only it was priced more reasonably! If you're fine with the pricing, would be perfect for you.

As for the Jetta - why not the 2.0TDi?
I find the A3 to be overpriced, to be frank. The top end TFSI variant goes for around 34-35 lakhs. That's just too much for the level of kit that comes with the car.

As for the Jetta, there are many concerns. The beige interior, the level of equipment that comes with even the most premium model, and the fact that it's an old model that's going to be replaced in a year or so.

The Japanese need to come back into the high end sedan segment... VW is having such a free run of the market that they keep on introducing no-frills level of trim and marketing it at a huge premium.
Old 5th April 2015, 00:46   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I find the A3 to be overpriced, to be frank. The top end TFSI variant goes for around 34-35 lakhs. That's just too much for the level of kit that comes with the car.

As for the Jetta, there are many concerns. The beige interior, the level of equipment that comes with even the most premium model, and the fact that it's an old model that's going to be replaced in a year or so.

The Japanese need to come back into the high end sedan segment... VW is having such a free run of the market that they keep on introducing no-frills level of trim and marketing it at a huge premium.
Would still recommend checking the Jetta out thoroughly once again.

The beige interior would need some upkeep, but not that much honestly. I get the Laura detailed twice a year and no complaints so far!

As for the equipment, please forgive me if leather seats and sunroof aside, there is any significant equipment difference between the Octavia and Jetta (The A3 at over Rs. 10L more better have significant equipment differences ).

Yes - it is bound to be replaced soon, but that doesn't change that it is still a very competent car even today, and can hold its ground against its competitors. Resale would be hurt, but I am sure the new Jetta would be more expensive than the outgoing variant - if the Laura-Octavia pricing difference is anything to go by.

What about pre-owned? That might be the next best route - a low milage, under warranty 320D?
Old 5th April 2015, 01:14   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Would still recommend checking the Jetta out thoroughly once again.

The beige interior would need some upkeep, but not that much honestly. I get the Laura detailed twice a year and no complaints so far!

As for the equipment, please forgive me if leather seats and sunroof aside, there is any significant equipment difference between the Octavia and Jetta (The A3 at over Rs. 10L more better have significant equipment differences ).

Yes - it is bound to be replaced soon, but that doesn't change that it is still a very competent car even today, and can hold its ground against its competitors. Resale would be hurt, but I am sure the new Jetta would be more expensive than the outgoing variant - if the Laura-Octavia pricing difference is anything to go by.

What about pre-owned? That might be the next best route - a low milage, under warranty 320D?
Honestly, my main nitpick with the Jetta is the beige interior. If I'm paying this much, I would prefer to get an interior that I like to look at. And that would either be black or the russet brown color BMW offers.

And yes, I am considering going for a lightly used 320d, firstly because Beamers are built to be driver's cars, and also because it would come in cheaper if I buy it once the 3 series facelift is announced later this year.
sleepyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 10:38   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, my main nitpick with the Jetta is the beige interior. If I'm paying this much, I would prefer to get an interior that I like to look at. And that would either be black or the russet brown color BMW offers.

And yes, I am considering going for a lightly used 320d, firstly because Beamers are built to be driver's cars, and also because it would come in cheaper if I buy it once the 3 series facelift is announced later this year.
I know you have heard this before but I genuinely suggest you take a long td on the Jetta. It is extremely agile, decently powered(tdi at) & very well behaved at high speeds & around corners. Yes the level of kit is a bit disappointing with the lack of memory seats & camera but it still has just about enough niceties to keep the feel good factor in place. The ride quality is fantastic & the car really does feel premium( less premium than the mk5 though). It wont give you the raw driving experience of the 3 series but the lighter steering is a boon in the city, void of feel but very precise.

The A3 is not very practical when you look at the back seat, unless of course you're never going to be driven around in which case, if the driving dynamics work for you, it might be a good car to consider
Old 25th April 2015, 00:54   #205
BHPian

In the market for replacing my VW, with a budget of 25L or so. Keeping in consideration the A3 and the Octavia, ruling out the Jetta, simply because it's too similar to the Vento, it won't feel like an upgrade at all.

The A3 Premium variant (which is as high as I'm willing to go!) is working out to be roughly 8 lacs or so higher than the Octavia Elegance.

What I miss out in the A3 is:

- Seats with memory
- Electronically retractable mirrors
- Xenon headlamps
- Panoramic roof (smaller one in the A3)
- Rear seat comfort

What I gain in the A3:

- Much better road presence (not of paramount importance, but is a factor)
- Better after sales (have experienced both, first hand)
- Better quality of interiors (subjective and personal opinion)
- Better looking cabin (again personal opinion)
- More easy to use (better?) ICE/MID
- Electronic break
- Auto hold (love this!)
- Brand upgrade! (Psychological!)
- Peace of mind! Way too many Skoda horror stories all around!
- No waiting

Besides, missing out on the Xenons, I don't really find any of the other reason compelling enough. But, 8 lacs is a huge amount, which is why I'm confused.

Your thoughts?
Old 25th April 2015, 10:19   #206
Senior - BHPian

I think there are 2 important things to ask:

1) How many people will travel in the A3 at most at any given time?
2) Do you believe the 8 lakhs premium to be worth it?

If you're looking to have 4 guys travelling in it at all times, the A3 will be a bit of a squeeze. Heck, with 2 6 footers sitting front to back, the guy in the back will struggle to be comfortable. That's a major deal breaker.

Personally, I'd rather go for the Jetta or Octavia, the A3 isn't worth 8 lakhs over the Octavia save for the psychological appeal it holds. Sometimes though, it boils down to head vs heart. The head will say Octavia, and I suspect your heart says A3. Which one are you going to side with? My suspicion is your heart is really set on the A3, and if that's the case and it's just 2 people using it regularly, go for it.
Old 26th April 2015, 01:27   #207

I have a Octavia 1.8 TSI and it is absolutely brilliant, loads of fun driving it. The A3 1.8 TSi is not worth the additional premium,
why pay more for a smaller car that drives exactly the same..
Unless you really need the brand value ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
In the market for replacing my VW, with a budget of 25L or so. Keeping in consideration the A3 and the Octavia, ruling out the Jetta, simply because it's too similar to the Vento, it won't feel like an upgrade at all.

The A3 Premium variant (which is as high as I'm willing to go!) is working out to be roughly 8 lacs or so higher than the Octavia Elegance.

What I miss out in the A3 is:

- Seats with memory
- Electronically retractable mirrors
- Xenon headlamps
- Panoramic roof (smaller one in the A3)
- Rear seat comfort

What I gain in the A3:

- Much better road presence (not of paramount importance, but is a factor)
- Better after sales (have experienced both, first hand)
- Better quality of interiors (subjective and personal opinion)
- Better looking cabin (again personal opinion)
- More easy to use (better?) ICE/MID
- Electronic break
- Auto hold (love this!)
- Brand upgrade! (Psychological!)
- Peace of mind! Way too many Skoda horror stories all around!
- No waiting

Besides, missing out on the Xenons, I don't really find any of the other reason compelling enough. But, 8 lacs is a huge amount, which is why I'm confused.

Your thoughts?
Old 26th April 2015, 10:50   #208
BHPian

Quote:
The Jetta's not really an old model - it is not due for replacement until 2017/18 - so I don't think that should be a factor. And if you're considering diesel, the Jetta with its multi-link suspension is a way better car to be in than the Octavia. Plus, to me at least, while the Octavia feels plusher, the Jetta feels much better put together.

For me, it would boil down to:
- self driven: A3
- Petrol: Octavia 1.8 TSI
- Diesel: Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Don't rule out the Jetta until you spend 15 minutes in it: I can promise you, apart from the same VW badge on the steering, it feels nothing like the Vento. A much superior experience, overall. And, as mentioned above, better suspension than the Octavia, if you're going in for diesel (petrol Octavia has multi-link, so that's on par with the Jetta).

Forget the whole same platform MQB nonsense - to me, the A3 does feel like a much superior car to drive, so I'd get it, even if I can only get the base variant, because for me, it's primarily about the car, and the rest are just nice to have garnishings. It's easy to be snooty about 'cheap variants' when someone else is spending the money, so don't let people tell you that your chosen variant is downmarket, or anything: choose what feels better and more reasonable to you. And remember you have to live inside the car, not outside, so finally, the lack of Xenons will matter less to you in reality. So, I'd say, just take obnoxiously long drives for all 3, and decide.

Last edited by bosporus : 26th April 2015 at 10:52.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 16:50   #209
BHPian

Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi

Hello everyone,

Firstly I have gone through pretty much all the threads on the octavia 1.8 tsi.

I am from mumbai and i am in search of a brand new car with a budget of about 22 to 24 lacs. The few cars that come in this budget are the carolla,jetta,elantra and the octavia. My one and only condition is that the car must be an automatic. Petrol or diesel doesnt mater.

I am in love with the octavia and I have 99% decided that I will buy the octavia. I will be back in india in a couple of weeks and hence have asked a friend to find out for me some details. I was told the race blue 1.8 top varient will take about 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. That is of concern to me as i will need a car in the next about three weeks as when i am back from out of india,i cant afford to be stuck without a car.

Any octavia owners here can guide me to the best showroom? with respect to after sales and just generally dealing with them.

Another question i have is regarding the warranty. What does skoda themselves offer? And can we pay more and take an extended warranty?

I drive in the city like a grandpa. And on the highway i seldom cross 90kmph even on my way to pune on the expressway.

My average driving will be less than 500kms a month.

I hope i am making the correct choice. I have not driven the car or sat in the car personally. Just read reviews that it is a very nice big and comfortable car to drive around. Thats all i want.

Any inputs will be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 24th June 2015, 18:48   #210
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi

Have you given the BMW 320D a thought. Say a pre-owned. Being in Mumbai I reckon you will get a fantastic 320D Highline which would have clocked under20k and probably a 2014 model at a great price. You would also get BSI secure as its transferrable.
Quarter Mile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks