Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2015, 19:52   #211
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi

Thanks mate,I am also very much open to a preowned merc audi volvo or bmw.

Trouble is with most dealers, they are all out to make a buck. I dont know of any honest dealer or showroom. Id hate to be cheated.

Sorry but whats a BSI secure?? Forgive my ignorance
Old 24th June 2015, 23:33   #212
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

For a running of less than 500 km/month, Petrol makes more sense financially. Some people feel that the Petrol cars do not feel having enough power (I mean torque). Since you are a sedate and careful driver, torque shall not be a problem with you.

My personal experience was that the Skoda dealers were not very keen / proactive to try for quicker delivery. But Skoda itself collects the phone numbers of the people who visit the showroom for enquiry. They (Skoda) then call such prospective customers. That time, you can ask them about quicker delivery. They can guide you if some dealer in some city is in a position to deliver the car early.

Wish you quick delivery of the car and happy time with the same.
Old 25th June 2015, 01:37   #213
BHPian

Thanks Rahul,

Honestly i am not bothered about petrol or diesel or any kind of average. I just need a car that is nice and comfortable and is a pleasure to drive,loaded with a few gadgets and gizmos.

I am still keeping my options open for a preowned merc or beemer/audi. I just dont want to get or feel cheated by such dealers. That is my only worry about a preowned car.
Old 26th June 2015, 01:00   #214
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2015 at 12:43.
derek is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th June 2015, 15:46   #215
BHPian

Mods,please, If every post has to be authorized by you before it goes up,I will never get the help and information I am looking for here.

I request you to kindly help me so that this thread gets some views and I get help from more skoda owners especially in mumbai.

My friend has found out that skoda is giving a 4 year warranty. I asked him again to crosscheck as i have my doubts. Really will they be offering a 4 year warranty? I guess I dont have to worry about DSG or fuel pump or whatever anymore if thats the case.

Thanks guys. Need your valuable help to decide what i have to do.
Old 26th June 2015, 17:42   #216

Hey Derek,

I own a 1.8 TSI albeit with a manual gearbox, one thing i can honestly tell you is that this car is a hoot to drive, i have had her for a shade over 3 years and i enjoy every single day that i drive her. As far as warranty is concerned, Skoda gives a standard 2 year warranty and you can get an additional 2 year warranty, this is not by the company, i have it from Bajaj Allianz, it works just as well though. My only suggestion to you looking at the distance you intend to drive a month and the fact that you drive like a "grandpa" you will not be able to truly appreciate this engine, however having said that i also agree that there is not much opportunity in India to drive at higher speeds. The only reason i specifically mention this point is that this is a very free flowing engine and you really would love to push this engine, its a feeling that is just incredible to me. My entire experience with Skoda has been through their dealer JMD and the experience has been quite alright, my only grouse with Skoda is that for everything the dealer needs to report things to SKoda who then analyze the problem and then they take action if at all, otherwise its just back and forth. I have faced this issue with respect to engine oil consumption as this engine can eat a lot of oil and with me the problem still persists. Although to be very honest its not a big deal.

i hope this helps you with your decision.

Cheers
Siddarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 18:05   #217
BHPian

Thanks a lot Sid! Much appreciated.

Do u drive a lot? Approx how many kms do u drive a month? I occasionally drive down to pune on the expressway and there i push the car to say about 100kmph. Yes i know its funny.

I definately need an automatic because i cant drive in the city with a stick. Small little things like the air con and stuff? Does the car cool fast?

I just need a nice big comfortable car to putter around the city in.

Thanks a lot for ur input. Just if u could spare a little more information wrt the warranty.

For example. If the DSG box fails,will they replace it with a brand new one if i take the 2+2 warranty?
Old 26th June 2015, 18:33   #218
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest a slightly used 3 series or A4, or even something like an X1. Possibly even a previous generation C class. You say you want gizmos, and a comfortable drive.

Have a look at sites like carwale, and even with the dealers themselves. Also you can find out the service history easily enough to see if you are being sold a troublesome car. Also before buying you can send it to the dealer to have it fully inspected with a report given.

Most of these manufacturers offer extended warrant too, some even up to 6 years.

I think a car from this segment makes sense for you.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 18:47   #219
BHPian

Akshay thank you so much! I wud love to own a preowned merc of 3 series or an A4.

I have looked at carwale a lot. I would honestly have no idea on the prices, I mean if i was quoted 18 lacs for a car,how would i know i am not being taken for a ride? All dealers are out to make money.

Most of the cars i see are 2012 models which mean approximately 4 year warranty would be 2016.

If i buy a preowned car that runs out of warranty in say 2016 for example, can i pay more and get an extended warranty? Who would do that? The dealer or the manufacturer?

Thanks mate, sorry for all the dummy questions.
Old 26th June 2015, 19:44   #220
BHPian

Keeping your requirments in mind which are a big and comfortable car. I think you should go ahead with the Corolla Altis. As per my personal opinion, I feel it is the best car that will fit your needs perfectly. Also, has the nicest interiors in this segment.

Since you're not much keen on power and you drive sedately, I think you can give the Octavia a miss. Also with the Corolla you don't have to worry about reliability since these cars rarely face any issues.
Old 26th June 2015, 21:42   #221
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Keeping your requirments in mind which are a big and comfortable car. I think you should go ahead with the Corolla Altis.

Since you're not much keen on power and you drive sedately, I think you can give the Octavia a miss. Also with the Corolla you don't have to worry about reliability since these cars rarely face any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
I occasionally drive down to pune on the expressway and there i push the car to say about 100kmph. Yes i know its funny.

I definately need an automatic because i cant drive in the city with a stick. Small little things like the air con and stuff? Does the car cool fast?

I just need a nice big comfortable car to putter around the city
As suggested by speed freak a corolla suites your requirements better. It will be more hassle free. An Octavia will be plusher but it is essentially a car for a more enthusiastic driver rather than a sedate one. Plus an Octavia may mean keeping an eye on the oil level DSG etc. Which you may not want, to get into.

Last edited by ACM : 26th June 2015 at 21:43.
Old 27th June 2015, 03:06   #222
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys.

The top variant corolla is just about 1.5 lacs less than the top variant octavia. The octavia is definitely much more luxurious than the toyota. If i drive sanely i dont think i can expect any issues with the octavia right? There is something i like about the octavia. Looks like a big car if u know what i mean! Plus there is the 4 year warranty too!

I am still on the lookout for a preowned merc or A4 or 3 series though. If i find one in this range,i will take this option surely!
Old 27th June 2015, 14:19   #223
Senior - BHPian

Hi Derek,

From your usage and the driving style you mention, I would suggest the Volkswagen Jetta diesel DSG.

Superb understated car, extremely well built and comfortable.

I would not get into the pre-owned Mercedes, Audi or BMW hassle of checking etc etc.

Buy a Jetta and be happy ever after (well almost) .

Cheers.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 16:36   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

Volkswagen Jetta diesel DSG.

Superb understated car, extremely well built and comfortable.

I would not get into the pre-owned Mercedes, Audi or BMW hassle of checking etc etc.

Buy a Jetta and be happy ever after (well almost) .

Cheers.
So I actually have the Laura 1.8 TSI 6sp (its the previous generation Octavia); a few months ago, owing to chronic left knee issues, I had to retire the Laura to a purely pleasure drive.

I bought a pre-owned Jetta 2.TDI DSG with just around 11,000 Kms in fantastic condition. I have to say that this car has become our go anywhere car. It does have a decent number of bells and whistles, it is also BORING in the extreme. It does it job adequately enough, getting from point A to B in relative comfort but it is not a car I would buy over the Octavia 1.8 TSI.
You say you are a sedate driver, that is great, so are several people I know. Those of whom have driven the 1.8 TSI in either the Passat, Laura, Octavia or Superb just don't seem to like the 2.0 TDI in comparison.

As far as the Corolla debate goes, The build quality of the Japanese or Koreans at this price point compared to the Europeans will leave you feeling short changed. The Japanese/Korean offerings just aren't as comfortable a drive on the Highway as the Europeans.

If I were in your shoes, my order of preference for pre owned would be:

1) Mercedes Benz E class (any W212 variant)
2) BMW 320D / BMW 520 D
3) Previous gen Mercedes Benz C class
4) Volvo S60, S80, XC 60
5) BMW X1
6) VW Jetta 2.0 TDI

Consider stretching my Budget for a new Volvo V40

If I had to buy new and couldn't stretch my budget for a new Volvo V40 then I may just buy a Vento TSI DSG, but that is because I honestly feel that the D segment has an over inflated price tag. Much more so than any other segment in India currently. Also take my advise with a pinch of salt, I have seen D segment prices go up from 11 Lacs to 25 lacs. If I had my way, I wouldn't buy new from this segment any more. If I had to chose one at the moment? It would be the Octavia 1.8 TSI
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 16:49   #225
BHPian

Thank u cyborb and imp!

The volvo V40 is about 30 lacs on road and thats definately out of budget. At the most i would spend about 25 lacs on a car. That also leaves out the preowned E class or 5 series i guess.

I really like everything about the skoda octavia. I guess its going to be octavia 1.8 or if i can find a preowned car like the C class or 3 series,I will go in for that.

If u guys happen to know of any such preowned cars please I request you to guide me on the forum.

Thanks guys for the input!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks