View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 19:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Consider the A3 only if...
4. You like quality interiors in all black.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 19:59   #17
BHPian

Heart = Audi (Not even mentioning model name since an Audi is an Audi )
Mind = Octavia/Jetta

Audi make some brilliant cars but its also a fact that its a status symbol and many dream to add those four rings into their stable, which come at a price. Amongst the other two, Jetta scores little bit better on the after sale service front but then the Octavia shares the latest MQB platform along with Audi and has better features list.

Audi will definitely be more expensive to maintain compared to the other two despite of same quality of the parts/panels/paint.

Then there will be difference in equipment level of Octy top end and Audi low end models.

Apart from all the other features, there is one major feature worth to consider : Sunroof!

That is optional in all variants of the Audi which costs 1L extra AFAIK. Whereas sunroof is standard in the top end variant of the Octavia. Whenever I will be buying my next car, sunroof will be one of major feature to consider for me because of few needs, for eg its useful in photography.

Just a little bit of addition in the confusion

Last edited by tbppjpr : 12th August 2014 at 20:04.
Old 12th August 2014, 20:20   #18
BHPian

I booked a diesel elegance automatic Octavia. Did see the A3 felt not worth paying 13lakhs extra for badge. This is my opinion. Considering the fact I will not be availing loan, taking a loan for the badge was not making sense
s.prashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 20:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I booked a diesel elegance automatic Octavia.
Congratulations, thats sensible choice.

I think the sunroof is coming in your car. Did you check how big the opening of the sunroof is? The one comes in A3 felt very cramped. Is the opening in the Octy bigger compared to the A3?
Old 12th August 2014, 20:49   #20
BHPian

Not sure if this helps in decision making, but the A3 does not offer an option for a Manual transmission. So, if MT is your transmission of choice, the A3 can be excluded.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably get the Octavia.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 21:50   #21
BANNED

Isn't the A3 based on the European Rapid platform? The Octavia though also MQB is a segment higher and the new A4 and new Jetta will share the platform with the Octavia.
Old 12th August 2014, 22:38   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Isn't the A3 based on the European Rapid platform?
No, the European Rapid is based on the A05+ platform (part of the PQ25 family). The Indian Rapid is based on the A05 platform.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 23:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
The Octavia though also MQB is a segment higher and the new A4 and new Jetta will share the platform with the Octavia.
Actually the MQB is for transversely mounted engines only - the A4 uses longitudinally mounted engines. Therefore even if some components (such as engines) are shared, the platforms are technically not the same. The MQB goes all the way from Golfs to Passats, but includes only the A3 among the Audis sold in India.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 05:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

I think the sunroof is coming in your car. Did you check how big the opening of the sunroof is? The one comes in A3 felt very cramped. Is the opening in the Octy bigger compared to the A3?
The panaromic sunroof is standard in the octy. The opening is comfortable its not cramped

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2014 at 12:01. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 13th August 2014, 10:15   #25
BANNED

Quote:

The general consensus on forum says: If diesel : Jetta, if petrol : Octavia.

... I can't digest the lack of multilink suspension at this price point.
You should drive the new Octavia. Despite it being bigger in size, the car feels smaller and more nimble than even the Laura, partly due to the new MQB platform. The Jetta is more comfortable but certainly feels heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Actually the MQB is for transversely mounted engines only - the A4 uses longitudinally mounted engines. Therefore even if some components (such as engines) are shared, the platforms are technically not the same. The MQB goes all the way from Golfs to Passats, but includes only the A3 among the Audis sold in India.
The new A4 (2015) when launched will be on the MLB platform as will the next gen A6, A7, A8, Q5 & Q7. A3 is the only Audi apart from the new TT that are on MQB.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 10:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
The panaromic sunroof is standard in the octy.
Nope, it isn't. Only comes with the Elegance trim. Wish it were a paid option on lower trims, but then they needed a differentiator, else the Ambition variant would eat into sales of the Elegance big time.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 10:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
If you are considering petrol - TSI AT Octavia would be my choice. If diesel, then may be Jetta. A3 I would consider if I can stretch my budget to get one of its well loaded versions, say a Premium plus or technology.

I know it is very difficult when you are at the buying point to make a clear choice. Do you want the best offering from one brand or the lowest trim from the other brand. Cars basically are designed as the fully loaded version. That is how the car is meant to be. Anything less is a stripped version to lower the costs. If you have a budget, go for the best trim of car you can get with that budget rather than the entry level trim of the next brand. Companies very well know this dilemma and they offer you a stripped out version to drive some sales in that direction.

If your priorities are fulfilled with the entry level trim or if you give higher weight-age for snob value, then the above thought doesn't matter. Basically what you still get in the lower trim would be the engine/performance and the brand name. If added safety features and the creature comforts on offer in the higher trims are not on your list, then entry level A3 is a good option.
Unfortunately i cannot afford anything more than the attraction trim of A3. if i could buy the top end AUDI, where would there be any confusion!! Hence the dilemma is between diesel automatic Jetta highline, Octy elegance and A3 attraction

Quote:
The waiting periods on the Octy seems to be making decision making very tricky for buyers in the 25L segment. For a majority of buyers looking at the Octavia/ jetta the A3 is never going to be an alternative.

Consider the A3 only if...
  1. You rarely carry more than 2 people in the car.
  2. You are very brand conscious and consider it a compromise to be seen in a VW or Skoda
  3. You have another large car in your garage that can do the people carrier duty and are looking for a good fun to drive personal car.

The general consensus on forum says: If diesel : Jetta, if petrol : Octavia.

I'd even say if you are looking at petrol and not particular about AT and are not lured by the explosive performance of the 1.8 TSI Octavia, the Jetta 1.4 TSI is a better bet than the Octavia 1.4 TSI. I can't digest the lack of multilink suspension at this price point.
I need diesel automatic considering the 90kms i do every day (80% highway)

Quote:
Heart = Audi (Not even mentioning model name since an Audi is an Audi )
Mind = Octavia/Jetta

Audi make some brilliant cars but its also a fact that its a status symbol and many dream to add those four rings into their stable, which come at a price. Amongst the other two, Jetta scores little bit better on the after sale service front but then the Octavia shares the latest MQB platform along with Audi and has better features list.

Audi will definitely be more expensive to maintain compared to the other two despite of same quality of the parts/panels/paint.

Then there will be difference in equipment level of Octy top end and Audi low end models.

Apart from all the other features, there is one major feature worth to consider : Sunroof!

That is optional in all variants of the Audi which costs 1L extra AFAIK. Whereas sunroof is standard in the top end variant of the Octavia. Whenever I will be buying my next car, sunroof will be one of major feature to consider for me because of few needs, for eg its useful in photography.

Just a little bit of addition in the confusion
I was keen on a sunroof when i started the search. So had shortlisted Cruz and Octavia. After driving Octavia and Jetta i gave up Cruze. I was keen o Octavia over Jetta purely on basis of sunroof. But there is a waiting period of 6 months and i dont want to wait for so long. Regarding A3 the attraction trim doesnt have option of sunroof. Only the higher trims which i cannot afford. So looks like it will be Jetta without the sunroof!!

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2014 at 12:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 13th August 2014, 11:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
Unfortunately i cannot afford anything more than the attraction trim of A3. if i could buy the top end AUDI, where would there be any confusion!! Hence the dilemma is between diesel automatic Jetta highline, Octy elegance and A3 attraction

Dilemma is actually there in almost all kinds of budget. If your budget could get the A3 Technology, there is a good choice in that price range give or take a few lakhs to confuse you again.

However, apart from the badge and a few finishing touches, you are not compromising much by buying any of the other 2 you have short listed. On the bright side, maintenance and/or break down could be much cheaper with the other 2.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 11:07   #29
BHPian

[quote=s.prashanth;3504270]
Quote:

I think the sunroof is coming in your car. Did you check how big the opening of the sunroof is? The one comes in A3 felt very cramped. Is the opening in the Octy bigger compared to the A3?[
The panaromic sunroof is standard in the octy. Th opening is comfortable its not cramped
I had checked the sunroofs of A3, Cruze and Octavia. Octavia has the largest while the other 2 are small. The only reason i am not able to buy the Octavia elegance is the availability and long waiting period.
Sudden123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 11:08   #30
BHPian

Just yesterday did a run through of 3 cars - A3, A Class/B Class, Octavia. It was not for me, but helping on my family member to finalize on it.

Initial impressions:
A3 base base version is a good car if you are driving alone. The back room is so cramped that a 5.11 tall guy did not get ample support for the head and it just touches the top. There is no automatic ac control. I guess even a 8 lakh car has it now. There is no trademark Audi day lights. What is standard is the stronic gear box and the engine in all the segments. The difference is about 6 lakhs between the base and the premium version.

A class is aimed at the younger generation. The car is fantastic no doubt, but 36.3 on road in bangalore was not worth considering.
B Class is a further 3 lakhs more so did not come to the shortlist. But the looks have been sobered compared to the A class and also looks like an i20.

Octavia was value for money. for 25.3 on road, has most of the features of the Superb and also looks very very fresh and curvier than the superb. have asked for a test drive, so will update once done.

After this our thought process in inclined towards the octavia.
madhukar_n is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed