View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 11:09   #31
BHPian

re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

I think your choice has become simpler given the facts that you mentioned:

1. Price prevents going for higher end trim of A3
2. Need a diesel for 90 km drive everyday
3. Do not want to wait for 4-6 months

So Jetta Diesel it is, as you mentioned in your last post. Hope you're going for the Highline.

:-)

Last edited by Tats07 : 13th August 2014 at 11:10.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:11   #32
BHPian

re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Just yesterday did a run through of 3 cars - A3, A Class/B Class, Octavia. It was not for me, but helping on my family member to finalize on it.

Initial impressions:
A3 base base version is a good car if you are driving alone. The back room is so cramped that a 5.11 tall guy did not get ample support for the head and it just touches the top. There is no automatic ac control. I guess even a 8 lakh car has it now. There is no trademark Audi day lights. What is standard is the stronic gear box and the engine in all the segments. The difference is about 6 lakhs between the base and the premium version.

A class is aimed at the younger generation. The car is fantastic no doubt, but 36.3 on road in bangalore was not worth considering.
B Class is a further 3 lakhs more so did not come to the shortlist. But the looks have been sobered compared to the A class and also looks like an i20.

Octavia was value for money. for 25.3 on road, has most of the features of the Superb and also looks very very fresh and curvier than the superb. have asked for a test drive, so will update once done.

After this our thought process in inclined towards the octavia.
Octavia definitely is a good bet provided you can get a model quickly or are willing to wait. I am unable to get the elegance trim diesel automatic in bangalore in less than 5-6 months. Hence have to give it up.
Old 13th August 2014, 12:54   #33
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I think your choice has become simpler given the facts that you mentioned:

1. Price prevents going for higher end trim of A3
2. Need a diesel for 90 km drive everyday
3. Do not want to wait for 4-6 months

So Jetta Diesel it is, as you mentioned in your last post. Hope you're going for the Highline.

:-)
Tempest blue or toffee brown highline is the most likely choice. Thanks for your advice
Old 13th August 2014, 14:08   #34
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Quick Facts:......Audi A3.......Skoda Octavia........Difference
3. 0-100(ACI)....10.57(DSG)..8.84(Manual)..........1.73 seconds
4. 0-120(ACI)....14.77(DSG)..12.23(Manual).........2.54 seconds
Well that can't be true.

I am sure the 0-100 timing for the A3 tdi is around 8.5 sec and the tsi is around 7.5 seconds.
No way can the A3 be slower than the Octavia. Both cars have the same engine and I bet the Audi is lighter due to its smaller size.

As for the question in hand.
If it was my money, if I could afford it, I would go for the mid variant A3.
Yes it is overpriced, but then again it is an Audi and it is going to feel that much more special than a Skoda or a VW.
At the end of the day, isn't that what actually matters?

I bet if I could actually afford an A3 but then brought an Octavia because its more "value for money", I would have a crisis every time I see an A3 next to me on the road.

Last edited by nakul0888 : 13th August 2014 at 14:15.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 14:18   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The question really is this: Would you rather have a smaller more expensive meal at the Taj, or a wholesome treat at Shiro (a fine-dining restaurant in Mumbai)? I've never visited any 5 star restaurant for the furniture or lights; it's always been about the actual food served.

The Octavia & A3 are basically the same car.....same platform, engine, transmission & mechanical bits. The only thing different is the outer shell, interiors & size. As much as I like the A3's timeless styling, its overall size is too small. The Octavia is no ugly duckling and is a looker in its own right. The footprint is more substantial too and I can actually seat a family of adults inside.

Between the 2, I'd pick the Octavia. Between all 3, I'd buy the Jetta. The VW feels better built (the MQB platform is cheaper & lighter) and has that multi-link rear which leads to superior ride & handling. Of course, my choice is specific to the 2.0 diesel which is fast, torquey and fuel-efficient. If it had to be a petrol, then the Octavia it is, as the Jetta has a puny 1.4L motor.

End of the day, the Jetta & Octavia are more comparable to the A4 than the A3.

Note: Public Poll added to this thread.

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2014 at 14:23.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 14:40   #36
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I bet if I could actually afford an A3 but then brought an Octavia because its more "value for money", I would have a crisis every time I see an A3 next to me on the road.
The same crisis is what irritates you when you purchase a lower trim and see the loaded version of the same car. It's not that big a deal but it does matter to some extent.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 14:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
You should drive the new Octavia. Despite it being bigger in size, the car feels smaller and more nimble than even the Laura, partly due to the new MQB platform. The Jetta is more comfortable but certainly feels heavier.
I drove one for a short distance which really did not tell me much about the car. It surely felt much lighter than my Laura. As is the trend with most mfrs they have gone for more light weight materials to help achieve better CO2 emission levels. I love the multi link suspension on my Laura. You can really feel it working when just one side of the car goes over a road undulation. The independent suspension (front and rear) absorbs it beautifully keeping the car composed and flat.

Incidentally when I was at Vinayak Skoda for servicing my Laura , I was just casually chatting with the service advisor about what he thinks of the new Octavia. He said it is not not as sturdy and well built as the old Octy and Laura. It does not feel like a Skoda sir, is what he commented. "Don't sell your Laura sir. They don't make heavy, sturdy cars anymore."
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 15:22   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

In addition to all the points mentioned by others in favour of Jetta, I would like to add that Octavia has an overdose of beige. In comparison, Jetta has a decent mix of black and beige. Jetta also has organ-type accelerator pedal compared to suspended pedal in Octy and A3. Jetta overall feels like a good package inside out. It is really funny that Octavia TDI has a long wait while Jetta TDI is readily available. I guess people are worried that their friends think they are driving a Vento.

Last edited by androdev : 13th August 2014 at 15:32.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 16:05   #39
BHPian

Jetta DSG TDI with Sunroof (wish it was available) would have sealed the deal.

Petrol - Octy TSI has no match + elegance has sunroof too
Old 13th August 2014, 16:34   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Jetta DSG TDI with Sunroof (wish it was available) would have sealed the deal.

Petrol - Octy TSI has no match + elegance has sunroof too
If jetta had a sunroof, i wouldnt have asked for advice in Team BHP! But i guess it is still the best diesel to buy if you are going to drive it everyday.
Sudden123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 17:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
I had shortlisted between Jetta highline and Octavia Elegance.
While Jetta has better ride quality, Octavia looked fresher. However the long waiting period of Octavia was veering me towards Jetta.

Waiting period for Skoda? Last month a dealer with presence at multiple cities in Kerala sold just 10 of these exotic cars

And also, aren't we expecting new gen Jetta soon?
Old 13th August 2014, 17:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Waiting period for Skoda? Last month a dealer with presence at multiple cities in Kerala sold just 10 of these exotic cars

And also, aren't we expecting new gen Jetta soon?
In Bangalore, Octavia Elegance trim has 5-6 months waiting period as per the 2 dealers here. Unless you get lucky with a cancellation. I would love to take the vehicle from Kerala, but Bangalore RTO has a major drive to catch and fine other state vehicles now!

New Jetta was showcased in New York festival recently and is expected in US in early 2015. India might be by late 2015
Old 13th August 2014, 17:57   #43
BHPian

Somehow I feel that for people who want a Audi/BMW/Merc brand, Mercedes B class makes more sense than A3. Comfortable, spacious, heard it to be great on highways. If you can look beyond the fact that is a hatch that looks like mini-Innova with 3 pointed logo ...

On the list that is given though, I'd pick Jetta since I don't see Skoda getting any marks for service any time soon. A3, just for 4 rings is still costly and a small car.
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 19:33   #44
BHPian

Jetta it is for me.

A3 - expensive for the value it offers.
Skoda - purely because I see a fellow BHPian friend suffering because of the service quality of Skoda. I would not want to spend 20+ lacs and then suffer from frustration everyday.
Old 13th August 2014, 20:22   #45

By buying the Audi you could proudly display your car (the four rings to be precise) to your friends, relatives and the whole wide world about the achievement and also be proud of yourself for entering the luxury league.

Heck! even i also have a dream like that but, you have some better options here at a considerably cheaper price.

Also, 25 lakh isn't the luxury segment anymore. You are not going to regret buying a Skoda or VW when you've had the chance to plonk your money on an entry level Audi. The maintenance is also going to be on the higher side for the Audi.

Just decide whether you want the status associated with a luxury brand or everything else.
Ren8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks