View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 00:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Incidentally when I was at Vinayak Skoda for servicing my Laura , I was just casually chatting with the service advisor about what he thinks of the new Octavia. He said it is not not as sturdy and well built as the old Octy and Laura. It does not feel like a Skoda sir, is what he commented. "Don't sell your Laura sir. They don't make heavy, sturdy cars anymore."
This is true for any make I suppose. There was an article in ACI recently, which said that the "German build quality" may be a thing of the past, after a decade..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The VW feels better built (the MQB platform is cheaper & lighter) and has that multi-link rear which leads to superior ride & handling.
Just because MQB is the latest offering, people think that it is superior to PQ35. As our Moderator DerAlte has rightly said: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3314533

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
On the list that is given though, I'd pick Jetta since I don't see Skoda getting any marks for service any time soon.
VW service is any day better than Skoda horrors, but it still has a lot of room to improve.

Between the three:

1. A3 is typically a hatchback with a boot. This is Audi's reply to the Luxury hatchbacks from BMW & Merc. Since in India, a Sedan is considered to be a status symbol (compared to a Hutch), Audi might have thought that it has a better chance against the competition, with a Sedan.

A3 is an excellent drivers car with a balanced ride and handling. This is not a family car - Buy it if you want a Hot Hutch with a bigger luggage space - That too only the top end. After owning, compare your ride with 1 Series or the A class - Only than, you will be happy.

2. Between Octy and Jetta: When you want a Diesel car, it has to be only The Jetta. It has Multi-link suspension, much stronger build quality and better service backup. Sunroof is a fancy feature in India - Whereas, Jetta is THE DRIVERS DELIGHT!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 14th August 2014 at 00:15.
Chethan B G is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 05:29   #47

Hello Sudden123,

It's not overly clear from your posts as to what exactly you are looking for in your next car. It all depends on what you really want in a car and what you are willing to forgo. For image, the Audi. For pace and gizmos, Octavia. For slightly better reliability, Jetta.

To me, the Jetta seems to be the logical choice. It has always been a looker and the recent facelift makes it look even better. It's solidly built and has been around for a while and with the Germans its generally 'the older the better'. Sure, the Octavia is new and hi-tech but the problem with these cars is that the more stuff you've got on-board, the better are the chances of things going wrong.

Coming to the Octavia, there was a lot of hype surrounding VW's MQB platform, which sure gives Vw a lot of flexibility, but not without compromises. Reports have come out that it is fragile and anything but solid, something you should keep in mind since we generally associate solid build quality from VAG. Other than that it's a fantastic car, is loaded with tech and the diesel manual is the fastest in it's segment. I'm sure you've also heard about the issues with the DSG units, while they claim to have sorted out the issues, it will still be a risk taking their word for it.

If you are going for the Audi, it's got to be just for the badge. The looks aren't that great either with it's short length clearly showing.

Good luck picking!
Shadowbane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:03   #48
BHPian

I personally feel the Jetta is the best and most practical choice. As mentioned in one of the above posts, I consider the A3 just as a "hatch+boot", hence rendering it in the same class as the Merc A. I know there is the badge part to it. But what matters most in my opinion is how you feel when you sit inside it. The A3 fails to cater to that part of the heart which feels good about the features that come with it.
My choice would be the Jetta. It looks good, rides good and is a lot more bang for the buck.
If it is a badge that you want, i suggest you go a class higher. Just my two coins.
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:17   #49
BHPian

I would suggest you to broaden your horizon. There are pre owned A4s premium plus variants at a similar price point. You could find less than 10000 km driven well maintained cars without much effort.

Solves your problem.
It just solved mine. Bought a pre owned A4 13000 km driven Premium Plus less than three yr old for 21L. Been smiling ever since.
Fiddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Just because MQB is the latest offering, people think that it is superior to PQ35. As our Moderator DerAlte has rightly said: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3314533
Well, if platform means safety then I would differ here and would believe the newer is better as far as substantial data is available for the assessment and proves the same.

To put an relevant example here, the A3 (lightweight MQB) has passed the difficult and newly introduced small overlap crash test but the current generation A4 (segment higher) failed in it. Current Jetta scored better but the A3 got much better ratings compared to all these. Though all these cars have received 5 star ratings in the normal crash tests.

Ratings :
2015 A3 : Good
2013 Jetta : Marginal
2008 A4 : Poor

Its true that the newer generation cars keep getting reduction in the weight but it doesn't mean that they are compromising on safety.

There is also high probability that one car model which has scored 5 stars in a crash test conducted five years ago may score much less in toaday's crash tests which are getting stricter day by day.

Small overlap crash test A3:

Small overlap crash test Jetta :

Small overlap crash test A4:

Last edited by tbppjpr : 14th August 2014 at 10:04.
tbppjpr is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 10:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Assuming we're comparing only the fully loaded versions, it has to be the A3 for its road presence. Its built on an all new platform, looks sharp, feature packed, great engine options and drives like a beauty.

After all, the A3 has been declared 2014 World Car of the Year!
Old 14th August 2014, 10:35   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Ruled out the Jetta because of "personal reasons": it doesn't feel like enough of an upgrade from my current ride, a Vento AT petrol. I know it's a great car and has a better suspension than the Octy but it *is* on a platform that VW is abandoning going forward. Surprising myself, I voted for the A3 over the Octy.

A3 Premium variant with optional sunroof will probably be just under 33L on the road in Pune and the top-end Octy TDI will be around 9L less. That sounds like a lot but you have to keep some things in mind:
- A Skoda is a Skoda. It is the UK's top taxi brand for Godssakes. Some of their offerings like the Superb offer excellent value for sure but it is hardly a luxury marque. I imagine driving into the town I grew up in sitting in a bright red A3 vis-à-vis an Octy. There is simply no comparison!
- The Octy is bigger and seats 5 adults while the A3 fits 2 adults/2kids at most in comfort. This is definitely a point in the former's favour if better seating capacity is one of your must-haves. But for someone with a small family it is perfectly acceptable. Plus the smaller dimensions mean you don't have to worry about driving in city traffic or squeezing into tight spaces.
- The true competitors for the A3 in this space IMHO are the A-class and the 1-series. The latter lacks any real luxury features though its engine is a stonker compared to the A-class which though loaded to the gills and a joy to behold is a bit of a dud enginewise. So the A3 cuts through this dilemma neatly and offers an elegant solution to both.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 10:49   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
- A Skoda is a Skoda. It is the UK's top taxi brand for Godssakes. Some of their offerings like the Superb offer excellent value for sure but it is hardly a luxury marque.
Mercedes is Germanys top taxi - what say ?
ajmat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:01   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Mercedes is Germanys top taxi - what say ?
Touché . Nobody buys white C-classes in Singapore much because some smart guy decided to buy them for his taxi fleet many years ago!

Seriously though, VW AG themselves position Skoda as the entry-level brand in every segment, with the mother brand slightly higher and Audi at the apex. If the Premium variant had been priced 10% lower it had the potential to kill the market in my opinion. As things stand the A3 sales are likely to get cannibalized by 3 offerings: Jetta, Octy and Superb (thank God Passat is no longer in play!)
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:02   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
I had shortlisted between Jetta highline and Octavia Elegance.
While Jetta has better ride quality, Octavia looked fresher. However the long waiting period of Octavia was veering me towards Jetta.
When the launch of A3 last week has added to the confusion.
The attraction trim of A3 is 23.5 ex showroom in bangalore. This is 3.5 lacs more than Octavia and 4 lacs over Jetta.
So wanted some advice on if the premium is worth considering the badge value versus smaller space in rear and Attraction being base variant.
My vote goes for the Octavia/Jetta and amongst these two the Jetta. The A3 is only going to offer you the badge value and not much more than that. So go for it only if the badge matters that much. For daily driving and even spirited driving, you will be able to enjoy much more in the Jetta than the Audi.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 11:51   #56
BHPian

Even considering an A3 demands to hugely stretch the budget of a customer looking at the other 2 - Octavia and Jetta. This brings the question of affordability.

Driving and arriving in an A3 is not comparable to other 2 - agreed. But when affordability comes into play, that thought doesn't really exist. If affordability is not an issue, A3 it is. But if the same thought process continues, even A8 wouldn't be enough to satisfy oneself in today's world.

"A Skoda is a Skoda" is a phrase used very much in UK, for that is their average or below average car and later became the entry level division in the VAG group. But with the new line up of cars and refreshing their brand, Skoda themselves came up with an ad. in response to that statement which says - "It is so good that you won't believe its a Skoda" which actually worked good for them. That talks a lot about the brand's self confidence as of today.

Speaking about cabs, one would be left without much choice if he had to buy a car today which is not seen in cab avatar.

Snob value will have to wait when affordability steps in. Hence in this comparison, A3 is a bit of a far fetch for those who have the budget for Octavia/Jetta. The cars in this comparison are not in the same level as far as pricing goes even though technically they are similar in most areas.

In a highly cost sensitive market, this poll would be interesting!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 13:18   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Waiting period for Skoda? Last month a dealer with presence at multiple cities in Kerala sold just 10 of these exotic cars
Skoda India's luck . 1 car out of their range of 4 that is in demand, but the India allocation can't meet booking volumes.

Octavia kits are in huge demand globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren8 View Post
By buying the Audi you could proudly display your car (the four rings to be precise) to your friends, relatives and the whole wide world about the achievement and also be proud of yourself for entering the luxury league.

Heck! even i also have a dream like that but, you have some better options here at a considerably cheaper price.
True. But you have to decide whether you are buying for yourself or others?

Plus, it's not like we're comparing an Audi to a Sipani or Premier. VW / Skoda badges also enjoy a premium image in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Well, if platform means safety then I would differ here and would believe the newer is better as far as substantial data is available for the assessment and proves the same.
Firstly, the A3 in the IIHS test has knee airbags which the Indian version lacks. Then, the Jetta did get the highest score in everything, except the 'front overlap' test. Lastly, the Jetta does have a 5 star safety in the Euro NCAP.

All of these are very safe cars at the end of the day.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 14:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Skoda India's luck . 1 car out of their range of 4 that is in demand, but the India allocation can't meet booking volumes.

Octavia kits are in huge demand globally.

True. But you have to decide whether you are buying for yourself or others?

Plus, it's not like we're comparing an Audi to a Sipani or Premier. VW / Skoda badges also enjoy a premium image in India.

Firstly, the A3 in the IIHS test has knee airbags which the Indian version lacks. Then, the Jetta did get the highest score in everything, except the 'front overlap' test. Lastly, the Jetta does have a 5 star safety in the Euro NCAP.

All of these are very safe cars at the end of the day.
I found the Skoda sales dealers very strange. They dont seem to show enthusiasm to sell the Octavia elegance for some reason. I had to chase them every time. They were hell bent on selling Rapid. Can you believe it? I though sales guys did upselling. May be their margins are more on Rapid? A couple of them did call me so say 1 cancellation has happened, come over and pay the booking amount. When i wanted to see the vehicle in the yard, i was told someone had just booked it! Not sure if genuine or they were just trying to get a booking amount and then delay the delivery. Given all this, Jetta it is.
Old 14th August 2014, 14:51   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
Given all this, Jetta it is.
Good choice there! Even if you're ok with the size of the A3, there is nothing much attractive in the Attraction trim, especially when compared with the other two contenders. Do sign in for the ext. warranty as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 16:22   #60
BHPian

It is quite natural for anyone (looking for a D class vehicle) to be tempted by an Audi/Merc/BMW with a sticker prize in the 22-25 lacs range (though on-road price reaches the 30lacs mark). BMW and Merc were the first to tease people with X1 and A/B class respectively. But Audi went one step further by offering a sedan version (at least look wise-knowing our weakness for a visible boot) in this price range. It is definitely an aggressive move from Audi's side to increase the overall sales volume and also cement their No. 1 position in the luxury market. And only way they could make A3 financially viable was to strip down on features (with the base model) and charge a premium for the higher variants.
Now from a customer point of view (as most of the people have already described), it is a compromise people have to take. Pay more for less features, but be happy about flaunting those 4 rings; or get good features at a reasonable prize and be content with a decent brand image.
But before choosing the 'Attraction' variant, need to have a hard look at the features available (rather what is missed out).
Attaching A3's feature list (across different variants) compiled from their brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?-a3variantsfeatures.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks